• Published 18th May 2013
  • 15,891 Views, 655 Comments

Jake and the kid - peter



A young orphan girl runs away from home to keep from being seperated from her best friend, a young Percheron Stallion.

  • ...
32
 655
 15,891

Ch4 And so They Met [edited]

Jake and the Kid
Ch4
And So they Met

It was just past midnight in Ponyville. The nocturnal critters were out and about, but the vast majority of animals and ponies were snuggled up in their respective dens and beds. Several exceptions to the rule, some willing, others much less so were gathered in front of a cute cottage on the outskirts of town trying to talk the resident into coming out to go adventuring with them.

This was being observed, from a suitably safe distance, by a chestnut stallion who was skulking behind a bush with a quickly crafted paper cone pressed against his ear as he tried to listen in on what was going on, without much success. The ponies Sneaky was trying to eavesdrop on were keeping their voices down out of consideration for others. There was no way he was going to try and get any closer, however. That bunny was vicious.

‟Oh, I don’t think so, Twilight,” Fluttershy whispered around her partially open cottage door. ‟Maybe in a few hours, when the sun is up, and it’s brighter, and there are not so many shadows.”

‟But Fluttershy, we need you,” Twilight protested, to a now closed door. A whispered ‘sorry’ floated through from behind it.

‟That’s strange. I would have thought for sure you’d want to see the new foal,” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. ‟I bet she’s going to be just the sweetest little bundle of fun.”

Fluttershy’s door cracked open a bit and one eye peeked through the crack, almost obscured by her pink mane. ‟New foal?”

‟Well, of course. That’s what I’ve been saying.” Twilight said with some exasperation.

‟Actually, dear. You haven’t,” Rarity said. ‟You scared poor Opalescent frightfully banging on my front door and rousted me out of my nice warm bed. But you only said you needed my help and all would be explained once we reached Fluttershy’s.” Rarity finished her statement with a huge yawn, which she hid decorously behind an upraised hoof.

‟But. I was sure.”

‟Ahem,” Spike coughed from his position on Twilight's back. When she turned to look over her shoulder at him he tapped the scroll in his hand with his quill. Right under, the properly checked ‘Gather at Fluttershy’s’ there was a blank in front of both Apologies, and Explain to everypony.


‟Oh,” Twilight blushed. ‟I’m so sorry everypony. I guess I was just so excited I forgot that nopony but me and Spike knew the whole story. But you have to admit that it is the most incredible news.”

Spike checked off the Apologies square.

‟Well, Sugarcube,” Applejack said with a smile. ‟Could be that we might at that. If we knew what the news was. Something to do with a new foal? I take it.”

‟Pffff, what’s special about a new foal,” Rainbow Dash snorted, doing an aerial backstroke through the air above her friends.

All five of the other mares stared up at her, putting her on the defensive, ‟What? It’s not like it’s all that rare. The Cake’s had their twins just a month ago. I didn’t see you getting us all together in the middle of the night for that.”

Pinkie blew a raspberry in Dash’s direction. ‟Well, duh. Their babies weren’t born at night. There isn’t anything more special and wonderful than a baby foal. They’re just so scrumptious and cute and smell so nice, well, not all the time. But most of the time. And the way their little eyes look at you, and how they reach out and try to steal your nose. What could be more wonderful?”

‟Well, yes, that’s true, but in this case,” Twilight had not even gotten up to speed before Rarity stepped in and took over the conversation.

"Rainbow Dash, you simply have no idea how many things must be done to properly care for a newborn. You have to take note of her personal color scheme, her body type, and only then can you even begin to think of fabrics. You must determine if she has any allergies that would make certain fabrics inadvisable. And they grow so fast. You have to design clothes that will look good when they are over-sized so that they can grow into them while still looking fabulous.”

‟That’s very interesting, but--”

Applejack was next up for the foal boosters. ‟The new mama and poppa are going to be just about worn down to a nub. They’re going to really need someponies to lend a hand, bring over some prepared meals. Let them rest and get to know their little one without having to worry about nothing.”

‟That’s very true, but,”

Fluttershy had been swiveling her head from one friend to another, every now and then opening her mouth as if to comment only to be cut off before she could start. The words inside her had continued to build up like a boiler with no relief valve. Finally, the pressure got too much, and she exploded, ‟Oh, oh, a baby, how wonderful. Why didn’t you tell me, Twilight? And Rainbow, every new baby is the most special thing in the world to its parents.”

*************

Some distance away Sneaky jolted in surprise and fumbled with his homemade ear-horn as it threatened to fall to the ground. ‟A baby?” He whipped out his camera to look through the telephoto lens, and carefully examined every mare he could see, looking for a baby bump he might have missed before. Nothing was visible, and he chided himself for letting his hopes override his good sense. It was hardly likely they’d get together at this time of night just to share such news. So, who was having a baby? And why was it so important that all six of the Elements of Harmony needed to be gathered? In secret? This could be his big break. He quickly put aside his camera and picked up his ear-horn, just in time to get a real earful.

**************

‟TWEEEEEEEEE!!”

**********

The hair along Sneaky’s spine stood up as his eardrum threatened to vibrate right out of his head.

**************

All conversations stopped and everypony turned to look at Spike who was just removing two fingers from his mouth after letting out an ear-splitting whistle. ‟Ahem, Twilight,” he said, gesturing to his surrogate big sister.

‟Yes. Thank you, Spike. This is no ordinary foal. This is an Alicorn foal. That is why the Princess thought it was so important that we lend every assistance possible to the new parents and the foal, and make sure that they are cared for till proper arrangements can be made.”

Twilight, as was usual when giving a lecture, hadn’t really paid a lot of attention to her audience, which was a failing of hers that she would need to address if she ever wanted to become a really effective speaker. She became aware of absolute silence, except for the chirping of a cricket. Even all of Fluttershy’s nocturnal friends had gone silent.

Twilight blinked and found everypony of her friends staring at her in various poses of shock and surprise.

‟An Alicorn foal, and you’re just now getting around to telling us?” Rainbow Dash shouted out, as she hovered forward and placed her face right in front of Twilight. ‟Do you realize how incredible this is? How cool? What are we waiting around here for?”

‟Well, yes--" Twilight started to say.

‟Excuse me,” Fluttershy whispered, her voice barely audible.

‟Really, Twilight. How could you keep this from us? The darling poor foal is Royalty! Why I imagine she does not have a single appropriate garment! We must rush to her side right now so I can determine the most fitting accessories!”

‟I really--” Fluttershy said faintly.

‟I don’t know what you were thinking, Sugarcube. We’ve been wasting all this time jibber jabbing when we could have been acting. We got to get going right now!”

‟I agree and--” Twilight said, tried to get a word in edgeways.

‟I can’t believe you didn’t tell us! A new foal is stupendous, wonderful, great! But an Alicorn foal! That is stupendous, wonderful, cubed! Because, you know, they have the magic of all three types of ponies which means three times the parties!. We have to go right now!”

‟Of course we need...”

Twilight trailed off as she realized all her friends had headed out without her and were almost to Fluttershy’s gate ‟Wait for me,” she called out and raced after them, Spike hanging on for dear life while trying with great difficulty to make one last check on Twilight’s list.

Before Twilight could make it to the gate, however, there was a horrendous racket caused by the loud ringing of a cowbell. All five mares and Spike turned to look at Fluttershy who was still standing on her stoop with Angel Bunny next to her, dressed in a nightcap and holding a bell that was bigger than he was.

‟Thank you, Angel,” Fluttershy told the grumpy looking rabbit in a very soft voice. For his part, the cute fluffy bunny directed a withering look at Fluttershy's friends gave a sniff and retreated back into the house with an annoyed twitch of his tail.

Fluttershy looked down the path at the five ponies who were closer to her than any other pony she knew, steeling herself for the ordeal that was to come. ‟I don’t think we should go right now.” She had intended to say this in a loud firm voice, but what came out, was as usual, barely loud enough to be heard.

‟Oh, come on, ‘Shy. We’ll protect you. Don’t you trust us?” Rainbow Dash said in exasperation as she darted like a hummingbird to hover in the air above her oldest friend.

‟We really do need your help, Fluttershy,” Twilight said encouragingly. ‟No one knows more about the Everfree’s flora and fauna than you unless it’s Zecora.”

‟Well, that’s just the point,” Fluttershy whispered. ‟It’s too dangerous right now.” She cringed as she said this last little bit. She was an awful coward, she knew. For herself, it didn’t bother her. She so hated to disappoint her friends, however.

Twilight sighed in resignation. "Well, if you feel that strongly about staying out of the woods, we won't force you to come with us. Come on, girls. We have a long trip ahead of us."

‟No!” Everyone froze in their tracks as Fluttershy let out a loud, for her, shout. She trotted down the path until she was standing right in front of Twilight and her other friends. Rainbow floated along overhead.

‟None of you should go. Not just yet,” Fluttershy said, her voice shifting from soft to almost loud and back again.

‟This just ain’t about you being scared is it, Sugarcube,” Applejack said, pushing herself in front of her friends to stand in front of the shy Pegasus.

‟No, no it isn’t,” Fluttershy said. She looked at Twilight with her head lowered slightly so her face was veiled by her mane. ‟Did Princess Celestia say it was urgent, an emergency?” she asked tentatively.

‟Well, no, but--”

‟And you are sure the new foal is at the old palace?” Fluttershy said, uncharacteristically interrupting Twilight.

‟Well, the triangulation is not that precise, but yes, they should be there.”

Fluttershy heaved a deep sigh of relief. ‟Then they should be perfectly safe till morning. But we might not be. It is terribly dangerous to travel in the Everfree forest at this time of night. You should know that, Twilight.”

Twilight blushed slightly at Fluttershy’s almost apologetic reminder of how she had let herself get stoned because she hadn’t taken the perils of the forest seriously. Still, she argued. ‟How can you say the foal and its parents will be safe when we wouldn’t be?”

‟Because they’re in the palace, and no critter goes inside it,” Fluttershy said in a soft voice, but with firm conviction.

Twilight started to say something and changed her mind and instead asked, in honest curiosity. ‟How do you know that?”

‟Because when we chased after Nightmare Moon there was no animal sign in the palace. It had been vacant for a thousand years, but there was no sign of scat or dens. The only way that could happen in the Everfree forest where everything runs wild would be if something was keeping the critters away.”

‟That’s actually . . . a pretty good point,” Twilight admitted as her brow furrowed. She went over her own memories of that night, but for the life of her, she could not remember noticing the things Fluttershy had pointed out. Of course, the pegasus pony was talking about things that were not there, and those were always the hardest things to see.

She looked over at her friends. ‟What do you think?”

‟I think if Fluttershy feels this strongly about it, we should listen to the girl. Apple Bloom told me what happened the night you got stoned. Shy’s the closest we got to an expert on that place. If she says wait, I say we wait.” Applejack said.

‟Well, I don’t like it,” Rainbow Dash said in a disgruntled voice, then her tone softened. ‟But ‘Shy would never hold us back, or herself, if she thought there was any chance a foal, or any other baby critter, was in danger. So, yeah, we should listen.”

‟I concur. Fluttershy would never lead us astray in this sort of matter,” Rarity chimed in.

‟Babies and their parents get so cranky when you wake them up for a party. We should let them get a good night rest so we can have lots of fun when we get there,” Pinkie said, pausing in her efforts to blow up a huge balloon with ‘Welcome, insert name of new Alicorn here’ written on it in huge letters.

***************

Sneaky had been cursing the ringing in his ears that prevented him from hearing anything further from the group of mares. He'd been forced to go back to the telephoto lens and try to do a little lip reading. His poor abused heart almost exploded when he spotted the balloon Pinkie was blowing up. A new Alicorn?

By all the gods of ink and paper! One of the princesses had gotten themselves knocked up! Likely by one of those eye candy stallions Celestia surrounded herself with.

After a moments thought, Sneaky discarded the idea that it might be Luna. She hadn’t been free from the moon long enough unless she had already been in a delicate condition when she was exiled. It was all making sense now. They could cover up Celestia’s baby bump with magic. Hiding the actual foal? Not so easy. An explanation would have to be found for that. He didn’t know what it was going to be, but clearly, if they had gone to all this trouble, they were not going to admit to Celestia being the mother. If he could blow the lid off this coverup he would go down in history!

***************

‟Well, I guess that’s final,” Twilight said. She looked around at all her friends, and up at the sky, measuring the time until dawn. She experienced a nervous shiver as she realized just how long her friends were going to be waiting without any sort of structured activity. ‟So, what do we do for the next six hours?”

‟Oohhh, I know, I know. Tic Tack Toe Tournament.” Pinky said while bouncing happily in place.

‟Well, I’m going to get back to my nap,” Rainbow said.

Except for Pinkie and Twilight, everyone quickly agreed with Rainbow, and soon they were slumbering under blankets in Fluttershy’s main room while the yellow pegasus retreated to her own bed.

Twilight pulled out the three baby books, which she had already read twice, and started refreshing her memory.

Pinkie merely shrugged and decided to see if she could finally beat herself. She was a tough opponent, but she thought she had her measure this time.

*****************

One of Sneaky’s legs started to cramp, but he maintained his vigil. They’d be starting out for the location any second now and he was not going to miss the chance to follow them. Any second, annnnyyyyy, second.

****************************

Celestia walked side-by-side with her sister through the cool evening corridors of the castle, enjoying her precious time alone with Luna despite the anxiety of the moment. The guards were giving them considerable space this evening, after a choice comment she had dropped to them about 'mare issues and cramps.' It worked every time. Stallions were so easy, and Night Guards even more so. In the momentary privacy of their walk, Celestia could not help but confess her failure.

‟I still have a hard time believing that an Alicorn could have gone unreported and undiscovered like that. I should have noticed.”

‟You were busy, sister. Performing both your duty and mine.” Luna said bluntly, not sparing herself.

Celestia shook her head and leaned over to nuzzle her sister affectionately. ‟I have told you, little sister. The past is the past. Focus on the now. Or do you wish more frogs in your bed?”

‟Thou wouldst not!” Luna said, in a loud but very unconvincing tone of voice. Waking up to find yourself sharing your bedding with numerous wet amphibians was not something you soon forgot. She felt it most unfair of her sister to resort to such juvenile pranks. They were princesses. They should be above such things. But even as she recalled the incident she remembered how much fun it had been, singing the rainbow-hued pony’s posterior with a lightning bolt during the recent Nightmare Night celebration. Pranking was the most fun! Maybe she should consider hunting up suitable sleeping partners for her sister?

Satisfied that she had derailed her sister from sinking into another darkly emotional episode, Celestia returned to the matter at hand. ‟I am quite pleased that the child of your dream is already showing signs of maturity. When Cadence manifested, there were a number of misinformed advisers of mine who wished her to be declared a ward of the state and trained in a suitable manner by the most accomplished tutors and experts they could find. Can you imagine their reaction to a foal?”

Celestia gave a delicate shudder at the thought. ‟A child raised by committee, I would not wish that fate on any filly. And especially not one who must someday take up the reins of power. How sure of her age are you, Luna?"

‟I believe I am very close. She had no cutie mark. No pony who has gained their mark would ever lack it in the Dreamscape. Unless it is a nightmare, centered around losing it. If she were older than ten and lacked one, peer pressure would most likely cause her dream avatar to have one. But such things are ethereal and tend to fade in and out and change from moment to moment, unlike a natural mark. I saw no such thing. She was a blank flank and fully unconscious of the fact. She had a certain amount of maturity, true, but did not come across as precocious. I do not believe she is any younger than she appeared. Only adults tend to have pleasant dreams in which they are foals again. I am fairly confident that she is between eight and ten.”

‟Her personality will be formed, but malleable,” Celestia mused. ‟It is troublesome that she is alone except for her earth pony companion. It will be much harder to fight off those who wish to ‘care’ for her.”

‟It would seem to us . . .” Luna coughed into her hoof at her slip and continued. ‟To me, that you already have taken this into account, sister. Why else would you have sent the Elements of Harmony to recover her? They are good ponies who have never thought to make use of the political power their status gives them. Indeed, I do not believe a single one of them is even aware of the potential for abuse their position contains. Your student, Twilight, would make a most wonderful guardian.”

‟The argument would be that she is too young for such a responsibility. If you are right about the age, she is at most ten years older than the filly. She would make an excellent sister figure, but I do not believe she would be accepted as a parental one. No, I’m afraid there really is only one option. I think you will make a most wonderful mother, my darling sister.”

Luna stopped dead in her tracks. ‟Sister! Hast thou took leave of your senses? Such a thing is impossible. If they would object to Twilight, how much more vehement would they be against Nightmare Moon raising a filly of such potential. I have seen her mane and tail. I have no reason to question it. She is a creature of the day, of field and harvest. Not the cold and dark. By your logic, you would be the much more suitable choice.”

Celestia had not stopped walking and Luna was forced to trot to catch up to her. Not until she was once again abreast of her sister did the solar princess speak in a teasing tone. ‟Were you not just now castigating yourself for not pulling your fair share, dear sister? You know that I oversee the bearer’s of the Elements, while at the same time making sure that those who keep Equestria functioning are able to do so with the minimum of interference from experts. All I am asking from you is that you take one small filly under your wing and be a mentor to her. Think of her as your own little sister who you can tease to your heart's content.”

Luna was chagrined. Her sister was right. It was not an unreasonable request that she take on this burden. That did not ease her fear and worry. How in Equestria could she be a proper role model when she had such trouble navigating the reefs that constantly threatened to founder her in this new world of the future? She could not continue to rely on her sister and Twilight Sparkle to ease her path. She needed to apply herself to the task as well.

Celestia smiled inwardly as she saw her sister become introspective. She would not push her sister any further on this matter. Celestia was content with having planted a seed in what she hoped was fertile soil.

For now, however, their royal duties called. Luna had a moon to lower and herself a sun to raise. A demigoddess’s work was never done.

***************************************

‟Okay, everypony, this is it. Everyone stay behind me so I can shield if needed.” Twilight’s horn had finally begun to glow, picking up the faint traces of Alicorn magic she had been trying to detect for the last hour. Actually the trace was surprisingly strong for a foal, but certainly, it was not anything she was unable to handle. The nature of Alicorns was power incarnate. Both Celestia and Luna restrained their own power to a great extent, but a foal would have no such conscious limitations. Even a baby unicorn could spark up dangerous flares; it would be far better to proceed with caution. However, before she had even taken a few steps, the glow around her horn flickered and died as the magical trace vanished.

‟Darn, why is it never easy?” Twilight grumped. If only the foal had kept radiating she could have gone directly to her. All she knew for sure was their target was somewhere inside the castle. ‟Okay, looks like we’re going to have to spread out a bit and look. Everyone be careful and whatever you do, don’t startle the adults. The last thing we want is for the foal to let off a heavy defensive flare because we frightened her parents.” Twilight was addressing all her friends, but she focused her look on Pinkie Pie when she said the last.

The party pony was very nearly vibrating in place in her eagerness to get started, but she stalled long enough to shoot a reassuring grin at Twilight. ‟Don’t worry. I learned my lesson with the twins. Don’t startle the babies, you won’t like what comes out if you do, from either end.”

Rainbow Dash zipped up just then, and Twilight felt a bit annoyed when she realized the Pegasus had darted ahead, out of range of any support Twilight could have offered. Before she could chastise the hyperactive Pegasus, however, the Rainbow Dash started to speak. ‟Something strange on the old road up ahead. Might, maybe, have something to do with the folks we’re looking for?”

A minute later the friends were gathered around Rainbow Dash’s mystery object. ‟Well, this here is a sledge,” Applejack said, nudging the over-sized sled like object. ‟We use one on the farm a lot like this when we have to haul in firewood or stone over rough ground, or in the winter. Better than a cart if you have to move something without a road. If this is what our foal’s family used, they must have come some ways that didn’t have any proper paths.”

‟Now this is interesting,” Rarity said, levitating a large puffy red object. Using her magic she inflated it while at the same time arranging it so it looked like it was being worn by an invisible pony. ‟No, that’s not right,” she muttered. ‟The legs are far too short in proportion to the barrel. Maybe,” she shifted the piece of apparel so that the two legs were now extended out to the side instead of pointing down.”

‟Hmmm,” the white unicorn hummed. ‟Do you mind, Spike dear?” she asked, and without waiting for an answer shifted the small dragon off of Twilight’s back and onto the ground next to the large red garment. ‟Hold your arms out if you would, dear,” she said in a distracted way.

Spike, ever ready to assist Rarity obeyed with none of the protests he might have made if it had been Twilight doing something similar.

‟Yes, see. The proportions are much more suitable,” Rarity said in triumph. ‟This is meant for someone of roughly Spike’s build, though much larger.”

‟A bigger dragon?” Fluttershy asked with a touch of trepidation. Spike was a baby, the dragon big enough to wear the garment Rarity was floating in the air would be three or four times as large.

‟I shouldn’t think so. There are no allowances for spines or wings. A Minotaur, maybe,” Rarity speculated. ‟But, Twilight, look at this fabric. Have you ever seen anything like it?”

‟I’m not really very well versed in cloth, Rarity,” Twilight said, even as she trotted over from where she’d been examining the pile of straps and horse collar that had been lying beside the sledge. ‟Oh, I see what you mean,” she said with some interest as soon as she was close enough to see what Rarity was talking about. She rubbed her cheek against the fabric. ‟It’s not silk, wool, or cotton. I don’t think it’s any sort of plant-based fiber. And look at this thread, it’s translucent.”

‟Indeed. I can safely say I’ve never seen anything quite like it. And I would have said that was impossible. I wonder where on Equestria it was made?”

‟Maybe it wasn’t made anywhere in Equestria,” Spike said in his version of an eerie voice. ‟Maybe it came from, beyond!” Spike dropped the ominous voice and spoke in a more intrigued manner, ‟You know, there was an article just last week in The Equestria News of the World --”

‟Hardly a reliable reference, Spike,” Twilight interrupted while rolling her eyes. How anyone with Spike’s background in academia could believe in such things as Bighoof, space ponies, and even humans, was beyond Twilight.

Rarity used her magic to compress the garment she was holding in the air. ‟See here, there is actually very little bulk, it’s almost all air. The style is horrendous, but it would be extremely warm. I shall have to experiment and see if I can design something similar, with a bit more panache. But, what is this?” she asked as she detected a bulge on one side of the garment. Investigating she determined that there were pouches incorporated right into the garment. ‟How useful,” she muttered as she extracted the contents. ‟Now these are much more your area of expertise, Applejack, dear,” she said while floating a pair of large apples in the air.

‟Let me see,” the farm pony said, taking one of the fruits in her hoof. She gave it a sniff. Her look turned speculative. She took a bite and chewed with a thoughtful expression. ‟Well, it didn’t come from around here,” she said at last. ‟And it certainly ain’t an Apple Family apple. Can’t really place the region. Tastes a little bit like a Northern Spy. Good pie apple keeps really well. Might be worth planting the seeds to see what comes up.”

‟Well, I’d like to know what this is all about,” Rainbow Dash said, using her hoof to nudge the pile of harness Twilight had been looking at earlier. ‟There’s enough harness here to hook up a half dozen ponies, but only one horse collar.”

‟Let’s see, dear,” Rarity said, carefully setting aside the coat she’d been examining and duplicating the process she’s used on it with the harness. The straps were all tangled but clearly also all one piece. Frowning in concentration she arranged it according to the way the various connection points seemed to indicate was the proper manner.

‟Well, hay,” a startled Applejack said. ‟That looks like something my cousin Naval Orange might wear. He was one strange pony, let me tell you.”

‟Ohhhh, the Ponies at the Blue Oyster in Canterlot would love that,” Pinkie Pie said in enthusiasm. ‟Those ponies really know how to party.”

Rarity had been so focused on figuring out the hang and connection points that she hadn’t taken in the finished appearance. Hearing Applejack and Pinkie Pie’s exclamations Rarity replied in a distracted voice. ‟Yes, they do have some eccentric tastes in their accouterments. This resembles one of those garments, but who . . .” Rarity suddenly trailed off as she felt all eyes on her, and she mentally reran her recent words through her brain. Her eyes went wide and she hastily bundled up the collection of strapping and deposited them on the sledge. ‟Oh, my, who would have ever imagined finding such a thing in the middle of the forest.”

Feeling the eyes of her friends still on her, Rarity gave them a glance. Applejack, of all people, had a rather knowing smirk on her face, or so it seemed in her rather flustered state. Pinkie was cheerful as always while the other ponies merely looked puzzled. ‟What?” she huffed at Applejack. ‟It was a well-paid commission! I needed to do a little research!” by this time her face was feeling very heated and she just knew that she was blushing heavily. She abruptly tore her gaze away from Applejack’s and said in a quelling tone, ‟We will never speak of this again!”

Applejack wasn’t exactly sure why Rarity had gotten so in a dither. Just because the same outlandish outfit her cousin had liked to wear had shown up in the Everfree. But it sure had been fun to see her get all tangled up over it.

Spike, who was feeling the call of nature decided to visit the little dragon’s bush while everypony was otherwise distracted by Rarity’s antics. He was taking care of business when he noticed what he was pointing at.

‟Oh! My! Goodness! Ican’tbelieveit! It’s Big Hoof!”

‟Really, for real?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed and buzzed behind the bushes to join Spike, who hastily cupped his hands over himself in a fit of sudden shyness. ‟Oh my gosh, you’re right!” she exclaimed, completely ignoring Spike’s attempted modesty.

‟Oh. Are you sure? I mean. Isn’t that just a story?” Fluttershy stammered out, looking around for a good place to hide.

‟Really, Rainbow, I find that highly unlikely.” Rarity said as she rolled her eyes. Inside she welcomed any distraction, even a silly one.

‟Unlikely or not. I think he’s right Sugarcube. What do you think, Twi?” asked Applejack who had stuck her head through the bushes.

Twilight looked down at the huge hoof-print pressed into the slightly damp ground. Beyond a doubt, it was equine and wearing a shoe. But she had never seen one so big. She placed one of her own hooves over-top and the size became even more obvious. It was at least four times the size of hers.

‟I needed to take a whizz. Sure didn’t expect to find anything like this. Looks like Bighoof had the same idea. It’s half again as big as Big McIntosh’s hoof-print,” Spike enthused.

Twilight suddenly realized why the ground was damp enough to take a good print, and what she had placed her hoof on. She resisted the urge to go Ewwwwww, and carefully wiped her hoof on some nearby, and dry, grass before replying to Spike.

‟I really don’t know. It is large, yes. But not to the degree I would start throwing around words like in-pony." Blushing and not meeting Spike's eyes she continued, "From the evidence, I think we can safely say it is a stallion. The father? A companion? We’ll find out very soon I hope.” Twilight moved back onto the path, dragging her forehoof through the brush a bit as she did so.

‟Wait! What? You can’t be serious Twilight!” Spike said not following her.

‟Spike. What are you doing?” Twilight said in surprise, looking through the bushes to where Spike had produced a measuring tape and was busy noting down the dimensions of the huge hoof prints.

‟This is the greatest discovery in the history of Equestria, Twilight. Absolute proof of the existence of Big Hoof. We’ll be famous.”

‟Hello, come to find the first Alicorn born in hundreds of years and escort them and the parents back to Canterlot. Pretty significant.”

‟Twilight does have a point, Sugarcube.”

Spike looked at them like he couldn’t believe his scaly ears. You talk with three Alicorns all the time. No one has ever talked with Big Hoof. No one has ever gotten proof that he even exists. ‟I’d say that trumps a baby Alicorn. All it’s going to do is make funny noises and messes for the next few months.”

‟A baby, Spike. A baby born in the Everfree forest. That’s not natural. There has to be something going on for the foal’s parents to come here. We need to find them. As soon as possible.”

It was clear that Twilight’s words were having an effect on Spike, but he could not stop looking at those hoof marks. Twilight could see how torn he was. She was going to have to have a really strong talk with Lyra back in Ponyville about filling Spike’s head with nonsense. She rubbed her horn with a forehoof and gave a sigh.

‟Ok. How about this? There are six of us here. That should be more than enough. You can try and follow the tracks. But you are not to get out of yelling range of the Castle. And I expect you to call for help if you spot this--,” Twilight paused as if using the unscientific name was giving her physical pain, ‟--Big Hoof,”

‟Thank you, Twilight. You won’t regret this. We’re going to be famous.” Spike took off like a shot along the old road, following the giant hoof-prints. Despite his eagerness, he was true to his word and kept an eye out for danger as well as along the roadside for more signs of his quarry.

‟Are you sure that was completely wise, Twilight?” Rarity asked, in a worried tone as she watched Spike’s small form moving away from them. ‟What if he should encounter the brute?”

For a moment it looked like Twilight might explode. She took a deep breath and said in a very calm, very controlled, voice, that caused Fluttershy and Applejack to take a step back. ‟There is no such thing as Big Hoof. A very large pony was here. An Alicorn was just born here. The Pony in question is either a parent or traveling with them. Maybe a hired guard. With his size that would seem logical. If we find the foal, I assure you that we will also find Spike’s, Big Hoof.”

************************************

Curry was feeling warm and toasty. The nice warm feather-filled comforter over-top of her held in the heat nicely. It was also doing a really good job of holding off the chill morning air that was cooling her face. Jake made a surprisingly comfortable mattress and listening to his deep even breaths and feeling his heart beat against her body was soothing. She frowned as she snuggled down more firmly under the warm comforter. Something niggled in the back of her mind but was pushed aside by other thoughts. The need to go back down the mountain.

Curry wanted to stay just like this, forever. Because, as soon as she woke all the way up, she would have to start making preparations for returning home to face the music. Maybe if they’d made it to the logging camp they could have spent a few weeks together till the supplies ran out, but there was no food here for her, and she didn’t trust the fodder she might find in a forest to be good for Jake. For his sake, she was going to have to take him back to where he could get proper care. As big a stinker as Mr. Sedgwick was she knew he’d do right by Jake. All the horses and ponies at his boarding stable were happy and well cared for.

Something tickled her nose, and she brought a hand up to rub it. Her fingers brushed against something velvety soft, like a swans wing she’d once felt. Must be a feather poking out of the comforter she thought. The little niggle in her mind hauled off and gave her a kick in the pants. Curry’s eyes flew open. What comforter? She certainly hadn’t packed one. Her eyes opened and she found herself looking up at the sunlight as it filtered around the edges of a great black wing.

‟Ahhhhhhh,” Fear of what sort of creature would possess a wing that large caused Curry to roll off of Jake and out from under the feathers that had covered her. She whirled in place looking for something, anything, she could use to beat off whatever it was. Her eyes darted to Jake, expecting to see some horrible monster perched on top of him. Instead, she found herself looking into his sleepy eyes as he blinked at her.

‟What’s wrong, Curry. Is it time to get up?” he asked in a deep, rumbling voice that sounded both childlike and much like an ongoing avalanche. He lifted a leg and rubbed it across his eyes like a toddler just waking from a nap.

Curry didn’t reply, she was too busy trying to absorb what was in front of her. Jake had wings. Jake had wings! JAKE HAD WINGS! Oh, and a horn sprouting from his forehead. Curry felt her vision going gray as her heart started to hammer relentlessly. What was happening? How could this be? She rubbed her eyes furiously and looked again. Nothing had changed. Jake was laying on the pile of leaf litter, his legs tucked under him like a foal. The huge wings that had sprouted behind his shoulders flexed and twisted.

Jake blinked sleepily and looked over his shoulders at his new accessories. For a few moments, he didn’t move. Then in a rather tremulous voice, he asked. ‟Why do I have wings, Curry?”

‟I don’t know, sugar. But I’ll figure it out. I’ll get you back to normal. I promise.”

Jake wasn’t listening. He stumbled to his feet and looked first over one shoulder and then the other as his wings spread out, stretching out a good thirty feet and almost brushing against the walls on either side. ‟This. Is. So. Cool!” Jake shouted, prancing like a colt and flapping his new wings awkwardly, raising a huge cloud of dust.

‟Do you think I can fly!” he yelled out in excitement. He stumbled from side to side as his uncoordinated efforts threw him off balance.

Out of a simple sense of self-preservation Curry hastily backed away, and tripped on a bit of debris. She windmilled her arms frantically as she began to fall over backward.

‟Oopsy, got you,” a cheerful voice caroled in her ear as she felt strong arms wrap around her mid-section, stopping her from falling any further. The scent of candy floss tickled her nose, bringing to mind memories of country fairs and bright lights.

Curry was lifted up and set back on her feet. ‟Okey doky, there you go. Wow, he’s big!”

She turned to find her rescuer was a pink pony? A feeling of disgust filled her. While she wasn’t fond of ponies, she really hated the girls who treated them like fashion accessories. Who would be so stupid as to dye their pony pink?

While she’d been fuming, the pink pony had been rummaging around in her saddlebags, which was strange to see. Ponies, and horses, simply did not bend that way. She might have objected more to the action if she’d been older than ten. As it was she accepted it as strange, and not out and out impossible.

The pink pony pulled out a white object that Curry identified after a moment as a disposable diaper. The pony held it up as if measuring it against Jake for some strange reason.

‟Well, would you look at that. Looks like I should have brought the other sort after all,” the pony huffed, tossing the diaper in her hoof over her shoulder.

Jake in the meantime had noticed the new pony and had given up his attempts at flying. He very seldom had a chance to socialize with other equines and was always eager to greet one when he could. Unfortunately, most of the ponies he encountered were owned by snotty daddy princesses and tended to be just as nasty tempered as their owners. Jake had earned more than a few nips and bucks for invading their personal space a bit too roughly. It never seemed to discourage him. Knowing what was coming Curry retreated to a neutral corner. Jake was the nicest hoss you could ever want, but he tended to get a bit excited around new equines and it was best to get out of his way if you didn’t want to get stepped on.

He trotted right up to the pink pony till he was looming over top of her before bending over to nuzzle her with enough force to set her back on her hind legs. This was the point where most ponies tended to snap at him. The pink pony, however, didn’t seem to mind in the least. ‟Oh, your just a big cuddly wuddly, ain’t you?” she said happily, giving the top of his head a rub with her hoof.

Jake took a big sniff of the pink pony’s fluffy mane, obviously finding it as pleasurable as Curry. ‟Smells nice,” he rumbled before proceeded to give her a giant lick, much as if he expected the pink pony to taste as good as she smelled. His broad tongue covered nearly her entire face and left her poofy mane with a distinct slicked back cow-lick.

The pony laughed out loud then did a rather surprisingly good Elvis impersonation. ‟Why thank yeww, thank yeww very much.”

‟I’ll save you, Pinkie” a voice shouted from the corridor just outside the door. A rainbow seemed to fly into the room. There was a thump and Jake staggered to the side slightly while the rainbow resolved into another pony, this one with a multi-hued mane and tail. For just a moment Curry felt as if something was pulling against her from the inside, but it faded as Jake regained his footing. She checked out the pony who had shoulder checked him. Yet another poor victim of some girl’s bad judgment. But doubt crept into her mind as she took in the wings that this pony sported. A quick glance confirmed that no, the pink pony didn’t have any. The Rainbow pony was staggering slightly on her feet, her eyes a bit swirly. ‟Don’t worry, I got this,” she said, right before falling over backward onto her hindquarters.

Jake trotted over and gave her a big wet kiss as well. He looked a bit disappointed. ‟Don’t taste like candy.”

Unlike the pink pony, this one did not seem to enjoy the experience, she scrubbed frantically at her face with her hooves, making gagging noises and spitting. ‟Well sorry all to buck about that! Dude, get some mouthwash,” she complained.

Curry stifled a giggle. She could sympathize with the disgusted pony. She’d received more than a few of Jake’s overly sloppy kisses on occasion. Usually, if she’d forgotten to wash her face after having an ice-cream cone or a chocolate bar.

A new pony appeared, this time in the break in the outside wall. This one was much more conventionally colored palomino, but with an incredible mane of light pink hair that must take hours of care to keep so gorgeous. Was there a whole clique of girls trying to outdo themselves by making up their ponies. Oh, and she also seemed to have wings. So that was one without, and two with so far, not counting Jake. Jake spotted the new pony and in overexcited exuberance charged toward her.

‟Oh dear. Whatever is going . . . eeeeeee” The pale yellow pony took one look at Jake rushing toward her, his new wings flared out like a dark cloud and folded over in a dead faint. Curry became alarmed. She’d seen ponies run from Jake, or gnash their teeth at him. She never seen one out and out faint.

Just then a beautiful white pony with a dark blue mane and tail came rushing through the opening in the wall, crying out. ‟Fluttershy.” She turned to put herself between the fallen pony and Jake, and cried out. ‟Stop right there, you brute!”

The words weren’t really needed. Jake had started to skid to a stop the instant the palomino pegasus had keeled over. He’d even flared out his wings to their full extent to help bring himself to a halt. He came to a complete stop a couple of feet from the white unicorn, his wings mantling over top of her and his head high in the air as he reared back slightly. The Unicorn looked up at him, her eyes wide. ‟Magnificent! That chest! Those wings, oh my, that horn! She held a foreleg to her forehead and fainted over in a very decorous manner that carried her to the floor in a suspiciously choreographed move.

Ok, that was one pony, one Unicorn, two pegasuses. It looked like Jake wasn’t a total freak. Must be something in the water . . . or the castle. Curry’s eyes tracked to the carving on the wall portraying the mare with the same wings and horn that Jake now sported. She had a vague image of her in her mind, all black with stars floating in the hair of her mane and tail. Was that the answer? Had each of these ponies fallen asleep in other rooms with similar carvings and been transformed accordingly? Clearly, there was magic going on here. This place was certainly looking more and more like a real magical castle.

A lasso suddenly whirled into the air over Jake’s head and settled down around his neck. Jake gave a startled, ‘wuffff’ but stayed still. He’d learned long ago not to tug against his harness or a rope unless asked to. He looked over his shoulder at the one who had roped him.

Curry too followed the rope to its source and fell in love. A palomino pony with a blond tail and mane, topped off with a Stetson hat sitting square on her head stood there, the end of the lasso caught between her teeth. The urge to let out a huge girly squeeee was almost more than Curry could resist. This was a proper working horse. You just had to look at the mare to know she was well trained and used to a life of practical labor. Her proportions were perfect, her muscle tone top notch. Her eyes were clear and bright, and she had an open countenance that spoke well for her temperament. All Curry’s disdain for ponies flew out the window. As much as she loved Jake she had long ago realized that there was just no way she could ride him properly. Not unless she had a growth spurt and grew a foot or more. But this pony was just perfect. Curry could already see them at the Junior rodeo, cleaning up in all the events, barrel riding, calf roping, point to point racing. She’d leave those other ponies and spoiled brat momma girls in the dust. And then she and Jake could take the gold in the individual pulling contest, maybe even the plowing contest if she got a chance to practice. She’d make a clean sweep.

Curry’s excitement lasted for a few moments, and then reality came crashing down. There wasn’t going to be any more fairs, either for her or Jake. No rodeo either. She was going to get dragged off to the big city and Jake would go to work for Mr. Sedgwick. At least Jake would be happy, surrounded by other horses. He'd forget her soon enough. A tear trickled down Curry’s cheek.

‟Popcorn?” Curry was jolted out of her sudden depression before it could even get properly started.

‟What?” she said, using her sleeve to wipe the tears from her face. She turned to find the pink pony sitting on her haunches beside her. And sure enough, she had an honest to goodness bowl of popcorn resting between her two front hooves. Seeing she had Curry’s attention she lifted the bowl and offered it to the young girl. As if to prove it was safe, she took a hoof-full and stuffed it in her mouth.

‟Isaiah, gould.”

Curry, more out of instinct than any real desire for some, took a handful of popcorn. It was still warm, and perfect, with enough butter to explode the flavor, but not enough to make it soggy. She nodded her head. ‟Thanshhh, ish gould,”

‟I know! I’m Pinkie Pie!” The pony introduced herself and held out a hoof to Curry. ‟What’s your name?”

Hesitantly Curry held out her hand and felt it, somehow, grasped by Pinkie’s hoof, and shaken once firmly. A vague memory popped into her head of telling some other pony her name, her real name. The name that was not spoken. The name she was not about to give in the light of day, no matter how weird the situation was. ‟Curry, Curry Comb. Pleased to meet you Ms. Pinkie Pie.”

‟Oh, just call me Pinkie, Curry, Curry Comb. And I’ll call you Curry.”

Against her will, Curry found herself smiling. The pink pony, Pinkie, had the same sense of humor as Old Ben.

‟Yeah, you got him, Applejack. Hold him tight,” an enthusiastic yell from the center of the room drew Curry’s attention. The rainbow Pegasus was hovering in the air in front of Jake, who was watching her in fascination while the farm pony was holding the rope snug. Not that Jake was making any effort to fight it.

‟You know, Jake could just walk away if he wanted, dragging her right along,” Curry said, feeling the need to defend her friend’s abilities.

‟Really, Jake? That’s a funny name. I would have thought he’d be named something like ‟Black Fury. Or Black Awesome to the Max.” She leaned in close to Curry and shielded her mouth with a hoof as she whispered. ‟Cause you know. He’s a real stud.”

Curry, who had taken another handful of Popcorn snorted in laughter and sprayed a great deal of it across the floor while Pinkie looked on in pleasure.

‟What on earth is going on here? Applejack. Let him go this instant.” Curry turned her head to see a purple Unicorn, slightly smaller than most of the other ponies, but with an aura of authority around her, that reminded Curry of some of the teachers at school she actually liked.

‟That’s Twilight. She’s a bit bossy sometimes. But she’s really nice. And she’s really, really, really, really, good at magic.”

Curry was about to say there was no such thing as magic, to a talking pink pony with a bowl of popcorn in her lap, when the purple unicorn’s horn started to glow. The rope around Jake’s neck went slack and floated up and over his head.

The unicorn, Twilight, marched over in front of Jake, and said, ‟Hello. My name is Twilight Sparkle, student to Princess auggggg!” she sputtered as Jake leaned down and gave her a big sloppy kiss.

‟A two, and only because he’s enthusiastic. He’s got a lot to learn about kissing,” Pinkie remarked, holding up a card labeled '2.0’.

Curry found herself being drawn into the conversation as if it were all perfectly natural. Even to the point of ignoring where the heck the scorecard had come from. ‟Hey, give him a break. He’s only five.”

‟Really?”

‟Yep, just had his birthday last week.”

Over in the middle of the room, the Rainbow Pegasus was laughing her ass off, while somehow floating upside down in front of Jake, who was once again watching her with wide-eyed wonder. The purple Unicorn was standing there with a shocked look on her face, her mane slicked back from her horn, which was letting off little sparks. The beautiful farm pony looked like she didn’t know whether to laugh or run for cover.

Twilight’s face started to draw up into an angry scowl when Pinkie bounced, literally, up to her. ‟Twilight, this is Jake. Jake, this is Twilight. Jake just turned five last week. Isn’t that great? Did you have a fantastic party Jake?”

Jake looked uncertain and glanced over at Curry, who shrugged. He shook his head. ‟Didn’t have a party.”

‟What. No party. That’s terrible. Well, as soon as we get back to Ponyville I’ll throw you the most wonderful spectacular, stupendaroonie birthday party you ever did have. Would you like that?”

Jake looked a bit overwhelmed and settled on. ‟Eyup,” for lack of anything better to say. For some reason that made the Palomino cowpony’s jaw drop, releasing the lasso she had still been gripping.

‟Wait a moment, Pinkie,” said Twilight, who’s horn was once again glowing, straightening out her mane and removing the excess saliva from her face. ‟Five?” she looked up, way up, at Jake. ‟That’s not possible. How can he only be five? I mean look at him. He’s huge.”

‟Yes, Pinkie. Surely you must be mistaken. No pony so magnificently built could be so young.” This was from the white unicorn who it seemed had recovered from her earlier swoon and was standing to the side of Jake running an admiring eye over his flanks and pinions.

For some reason her predatory gaze made Curry feel a protective surge. She started to get to her feet but before she could say anything another pony entered the argument.

‟Well, he doesn’t have a cutie mark,” the palomino pegasus with the flowing pink mane, who had walked up beside the white Unicorn, said in a very, very quiet voice that no one else seemed to hear.

Pinkie put in her two cents, ‟Of course he’s five. Curry told me so herself. And if anyone should know, she should know.”

‟Say what now, Sugarcube? Who the hay is Curry?”

‟She’s Curry,” Pinkie said, gesturing toward Curry who was standing up against the wall. Six sets of pony eyes turned toward her. Five of them opened wide as five sets of jaws fell open. Pinkie didn’t seem aware of her friends' reactions and just carried right on talking. ‟Wait, you are a she aren’t you? Cause it’s sort of hard to tell with all that stuff your wearing. I hope I’m right. Stallions get awfully huffy sometimes if you make a mistake and call them a mare.”

‟Uh, yeah, I’m a girl. Hi,” Curry said a bit faintly as the incredulous stares from five of the ponies were making her feel self-conscious. ‟How Y'all doing?” she said, her nervousness thickening her accent.

***************************

Many miles away Sneak Peek gave a muffled snort as sunlight slanted through the bush he’d been hiding behind and woke him up. He slit his eyes against the light for a moment, before an expression of panic crossed his face and he lurched to his feet. He looked in the direction of the cute little cottage he had been observing. Not a sign of any of the Elements. ‟Nooooooooo!” Sneaky screamed into the uncaring sky.

************************