• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 10,686 Views, 139 Comments

Ravenspire - Imperius



Twilight's read stories about an ancient library deep in the Everfree Forest and sets out to find it

  • ...
13
 139
 10,686

Musings of the Newly Mortal

Kairos idly swept his gaze across the library, everything seemed so lusterless with mortal eyes. His library, which once seemed to his daemonic eyes to be a radiant beacon of knowledge, just looked so dull and mundane now. A light breathing caught his attention and he glanced to his side where Celestia slept. She had opted to stay the night after he had finished his story, they hadn't even moved from the book case he leaned against.

It didn't matter what kind of eyes he looked at her with, his old student would never look mundane. Even with his magical senses hopelessly mangled, looking at her was like gazing into the heart of a star and he felt proud that he was at least partially responsible for that.

His mind kept wandering back to the events following the loss of his powers. He could only wonder in amazement how the ponies could have found it in their hearts to forgive him after what he'd tried to do. Truly they were better beings than he. He had knelt at the feet of the sisters and begged that they forgive him his transgressions. Celestia had responded with that kind smile he loved her for and merely asked a question of him.

"Will you accept our friendship?"

He took a moment to think of a fitting response, a simple "yes" could not do the situation justice. He had remembered a dead language he had long ago fallen in love with and formed what he believed would be the most appropriate response.

"Ave Imperatrix Celestialis." he had said to her. "Ave Domina Nox." he said to Luna.

Twilght and her friends did not understand him, but he had taught the alicorn sisters the language long ago and the smiles they offered in response warmed his heart.

His thoughts then turned to little Twilight. Celestia had chosen her student well, this one as well as her friends were powerful. He marveled how even with all the power of the Warp at his disposal he still couldn't best a couple of determined ponies. It seemed that Twilight had been right to lecture him that day, she knew what she was talking about when she said that there was nothing stronger than friendship. The irony of a being a fraction of his age knowing more about true power than him was not lost on him. There would always be another lesson to learn it seemed, no matter how old he got that truth only grew truer.

Regrettably, he likely wouldn't be getting much older. Now that he was mortal time was once again his enemy. It felt so strange, for as long as he could remember years, decades, even centuries felt like mere swings of the pendulum, but now every second was precious. In all likeliness he would probably only live another century at most, provided he could gain a modicum of his magical competence back. It did not mean he would not try to regain his timelessness, but as it was he was having far too much trouble even refilling a glass of chocolate milk. How Discord managed it with such ease was beyond him.

He smiled as he thought of the draconequus. He had managed to persuade the alicorn sisters to give his old friend a chance at redemption instead of turning him to stone again. It was the least he could do for dragging him into his ill fated scheme. He recalled the terror he had felt when he looked upon Discord's unmoving form lying in the crater caused by the princesses' attack. That he might have been responsible for his friend's death nearly drove him to tears for the second time that day. The first had been as his master died for the last time.

"If there was one thing I would ask of you," Tzeentch had said, "it would be to embrace this change, not to rebel against it." After those words his purpose was fulfilled and he finally left for wherever it was gods went when they died.

He would obey his master's last words till his dying breath. He had lost sight of his master's will over the years, he had pined after his glory days instead of embracing the wondrous change around him. But no more, eyes opened to the truth of this new world, he decided that he would no longer hide away within his tower. He would venture out and he would look for purpose.

Perhaps in the morning he would go with Celestia back to Canterlot and try to find himself a new purpose there, surely she could find something for him to occupy himself with. Or maybe he would go to Ponyville and... oh what the devil was it those ponies did there? Frolic through meadows? Chase after butterflies?

Kairos frowned. "This is going to be harder than I thought."