• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 5,953 Views, 292 Comments

The Hunter's Heart - Silentpegasus



Cross Hair, a grey unicorn stallion is badly injured by a timberwolf encounter. He wakes up days later to find that he is being cared for by a yellow pegasus mare. What will happen when this hunter falls prey to his emotions?

  • ...
14
 292
 5,953

Chapter 11: Date Night

Chapter 11

Date Night

Cross and Fluttershy trotted through Ponyville. The yellow mare had a bright blush on her face, as she looked at the unicorn.

“So what do you want to do?” he asked.

“Um....what ever you want to do I suppose.”

“Fluttershy, this is your date and I want to make it memorable.” he said with a smile. Fluttershy thought for a moment.

“Um...I need to feed the animals right now, but...maybe we could go out later tonight?” she said in a timid tone.

“Well...okay. If that’s what you want. I’ll come back around 7:00pm.”

“Can’t wait.” she gave him a quick peck on the cheek and trotted back down the road. Cross smiled and trotted back into town towards Carousel Boutique. He approached the perfume engulfed shop and breathed a heavy sigh before he entered the posh establishment.

“Hello? Rarity are you in here?” he called out.

“Just a minute.” she chimed. Cross sat down on the couch and waited for her to come out. “Welcome to Carousel Boutique how can I-.....Oh...Cross.” the stallion smiled at the mare. “H-how can I help you?” she said in a nervous tone.

“You okay Rarity?”

“Right as rain.” she said with a fake grin.

“Well if you’re sure.”

“Of course darling. Now how can I help you?”

“I have a date tonight with Fluttershy and I don’t have anything nice to wear. I was wondering if you had any-”

“Say no more darling. I shall make you something post haste.”

“You don’t have to do that, I could just borrow something and-”

“No. I insist.” she said with a smile. Cross shrugged and followed the mare upstairs into her sewing room. “Just stand over there and I’ll be with you in a moment. Do you have any color preferences?”

“I’m not much of a fashion pony, you pick.” he said with a grin. Rarity nodded and started to cut the fabric, her nerves were getting the better of her. She missed a stitch and silently cursed herself, she undid the stitch and tried again. Cross noticed that her concentration was wavering and the needle was floating with a slight twitch. “Rarity what’s wrong?” he said in a stagnant tone.

“N-nothing darling why would you-” she was cut off by him looking at her with an icy stare.

“Rarity don’t lie to me. I know somethings bothering you, what is-” he noticed the mare’s eyes starting to shake. “You’re scared of me aren’t you?” Rarity tried to talk but no words left her lips. She let out a heavy sigh.

“Yes...I’m sorry dear it’s-”

“No, no. I’d be surprised if you weren’t.” he said as he raised a hoof.

“I’m sorry dear. It’s just that....when I saw you the other night...It was like something out of a nightmare. Then this morning with the royal guard and Twilight’s brother.”

“I understand, believe me Rarity I’ve done bad things in my life. So many bad things that doubt I’ll ever be able to be forgiven.”

“What are you talking about dear?” Cross sat on the floor and refused to make eye contact with the mare.

“I’m not gonna lie. I’ve taken lives, worse is I got clever. I’ve manipulated others into taking their own. Sometimes I think I’ve lived too long.” he said in a sad tone. Rarity looked at him in surprise. “I know I can never make up for it, but I’m trying too. That has to count for something.” Rarity trotted over and put a hoof on the stallions shoulder.

“I know that you would never do anything to hurt my friends or I. But I’m still concerned especially since I know that you have multiple souls in you.” Cross looked up at the mare in surprise.

“Ace?”

“Yes, he told us.”

“Figured, another thing I’m not proud of. I want to at least try and make Fluttershy happy, I owe her that much.” he said as he let out a sad sigh.

“I think that’s very kind of you.” she said with a smile.

“Thanks, I’m really nervous about tonight.”

“Oh come now I’m sure a stallion like you has gone on hundreds of dates.”

“No, it’s been quite a while since my last one.”

“How long are we talking dear?” she said as she raised an eyebrow.

“Three years.” Rarity’s jaw hit the floor.

“WHAT?”

“Yeah I’ve always been kind of.....apprehensive about dates.”

“But you’ve stood up to dragons!”

“I’d take that over getting shot down by a mare any day.” he said in a low tone. “Ugh! What am I going to do?”

“Relax darling I will help you!” she said in a reassuring voice.

“No, I couldn’t ask you to-”

“I’m not suggesting I’m telling you that I'll help. I want Fluttershy’s first date to go smoothly.” she said as she continued to sew.

“Thanks, I appreciate it.” he said as he breathed a sigh of relief.

“Think nothing of it darling. Now here’s what we’ll do.” she said as she began to whisper to the grey stallion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back across town Fluttershy was feeding her animals she was daydreaming about her date with Cross that night.

Oh tonight is going to be so wonderful.

See. I told you things would work out.

I guess you were right.

Yeah, now all you have to do is have a good time.

OH NO! What if I mess something up? What if he never wants to see me again! her mind began to race as she continued to doubt herself. She started to sweat with worry as she tried to feed her animal friends. She was then interrupted by a pegasus landing next to her.

“Hey Fluttershy I was-”

“GAH!” she yelled in surprise. She looked around to see Rainbow Dash staring at her in surprise.

“Easy Flutters. It’s only me.”

“Oh..hi Rainbow Dash.”

“You okay you seem kind of jumpy, more than usual I mean.”

“Oh...I’m just nervous about tonight. Cross is taking me out on a date.” she said with a blush.

“Yeah so I’ve heard.”

“I’m just really, really worried that I’m gonna screw something up and he won’t want to talk to me again. Then I’ll be alone for-” she was cut off by the cyan mare placing a hoof on her friends mouth.

“Slow down there girl. You just need some help and I’m gonna give it to you.” she said with a smile.

“Oh I couldn’t ask you to do that.”

“Hey you need help and I won’t leave you like this.” she said as she put a hoof on her friends shoulder. Fluttershy bit her lower lip at the idea.

“Well...alright. Only if you want to....I mean.”

“Sure! No way am I going to let my best friends first date end in disaster.” she said with a cocky smile. “So where are you two love birds going?”

“I don’t know he’s picking me up at seven for the date.”

“Okay, so that gives us plenty of time.” she said with a mischievous grin.

“Time for what?” she asked nervously.

“Oh you’ll see.” she said as she pulled her inside her house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight made her way into Carousel Boutique, she was greeted by the familiar odors of Rarity’s perfume. She heard sounds of rustling and movement upstairs. Twilight trotted up the stairs and entered the work room to see Cross in a very flashy get up with a less than pleased look on his face.

“Hello Twilight.” Rarity chimed.

“Hey Rarity, what’s up?”

“Just helping Cross get ready for his date with Fluttershy tonight.” she said as she continued to look through the fabric.

“How’s that going?”

“Don’t ask.” the grey unicorn spat out. Twilight let out a small giggle at his apparel and mane style “Rarity, please. I told you nothing too flashy.”

“Sorry dear, but your coat color doesn’t seem to go with much.” she said as she continued to rifle through her supplies.

“Why don’t you just go with basic black?”

“Well....that could work but-”

“Let’s just keep it simple.” he said as he removed the garments.

“Hm! Fine!” she said as she retrieved the black fabric. Cross looked over at Twilight who was remanning silent and adverting her gaze.

“Look Twi I know you’re still freaked out by me.”

“I know, it’s just that.....you have so much power and that scares me.”

“Look at you, I’ve never met a unicorn who knows as much magic as you do plus you’re the wielder of the Element of Magic. You could do some real damage if you wanted to.” he said in a stern tone.

“I would never do anything like that!”

“Neither would I.” Twilight wanted to protest but found no argument.

“How this?” Rarity asked as she held up a jet black suit with a standard white tie.

“Excellent! But it’s missing something.” he levitated the normal tie away and replaced it with a black bow tie.

“A bow tie, really?” she said with a raised eyebrow.

“Bow ties are cool.” he said with a smug grin. Rarity rolled her eyes and gave him a smile.

“Well now that that’s out of the way, where are you going to take Fluttershy?” Cross’s eyes shrank at the thought.

“No idea.” he said in a low tone.

“Typical....So what are you going to do?”

“Oh I’ll think of something. Know any good restaurants nearby?”

“Theres the ‘Jade Petal’ Very refine, and very expensive.” Rarity said with a smile.

“How much for a private booth?”

“Easily one hundred bits.” she added.

“Sounds good to me, I’ll go make reservations.” he said as he removed the suit. Cross summoned a bright sapphire and levitated it over to Rarity. “This should cover the suit.” Rarity’s eyes boggled at the gem.

“Oh darling I simply couldn’t-”

“I insist.” he said as he dropped it in her hooves. “I’ll see you guys later, I’ve got a dinner to plan.” he said as he walked out the door with the suit hanging off his back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I don’t know Rainbow, it seems a bit.....much.” she said as she looked at herself in the mirror.

“Relax Shy, I’m sure he’ll love it.” Dash said with a smile.

“Well...okay.”

“Now that we have the looks department handled it’s time to talk about what to do after the dinner.” she said with a sly grin.

“After dinner?”

“Oh....you know.” she said as she gave her a nudge and waggled her eyebrows.

“What are you-....Oh.” she said as her face turned crimson. “Rainbow, I’ve never......you know. ‘Been’ with anypony before.” she said with a blush on her face.

“Yeah I figured. I’m not trying to convince you to do anything, in fact I’m trying to warn you incase he tries anything.” she said with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t think Cross would ever do something like that.” she said in a soft tone. “He so sweet and kind.”

“Yeah, but we still don’t know anything about him.”

“I know that he cares about me and that he wouldn’t do anything to hurt me.” she said in a defensive tone. “He wouldn’t have defended me the other night if he didn’t care.”

“I know shy, I’m just looking out for you.” she said as she put a hoof on her friends shoulder.

“Thanks. I’m still pretty nervous about-” a hard knock on the door cut the yellow pegasus off. Rainbow looked out the peep hole to see the grey stallion in a suit.

“It’s Cross!” she said. Fluttershy’s face turned bright red and hid behind the couch. Rainbow rushed over to her friend and dragged out from behind the furniture. “I’ll keep Cross busy until you're ready.” the yellow mare nodded and hurried upstairs. Rainbow opened the door and smiled at the grey unicorn. “Hi Cross.”

“Hey Rainbow....where’s Fluttershy?”

“She’s finishing up her hair.” she said as he trotted inside.

“That’s cool, we still have some time.” He and the pegasus sat down on the couch and started to chat.

“So where are you guys going?”

“I got a private table at The Jade Petal.” Rainbow’s jaw dropped.

“What! That place is super exclusive, I heard you need to wait six months for a spot to open up. How did you get a table?”

“I have my ways.” he said with a smirk. Rainbow looked over at him to see that he had donned his eyepatch.

“Why are you still wearing that thing?” she said as she pointed at his right eye.

“Just because you guys are cool with my dragon eye doesn’t mean that the rest of the town will accept it.” he let out a breath.

“Well at least it looks cool.”

“This thing isn’t a fashion statement, it serves another purpose.” Rainbow looked at him with a confused look on her face.

“What purpose?”

“It acts as a seal to keep most of my strength suppressed.” he said as he pointed to the patch.

“Suppressed?”

“You’ve seen what happens when I take it off right?” the mare nodded at the memory. “It represses that power and keeps the multiple souls in check.”

“So if it came off then-”

“Lets just say that it would be very bad. Which is why the only way it can come off is if I take it off.” he said with a smile. “And I don’t plan on ding that anytime soon.”

“What about yesterday?”

“That was an emergency, I exhausted all of my normal strength by making all of those clones. I didn’t want to do it, but I had to in order to save Fluttershy.” he glanced at the mare who nodded nervously. “I understand that you’re probably scared of me and that’s-”

“I’m not scared of you I’m just.....worried about Fluttershy.”

“I promise you I’d never hurt you or any of your friends.” he said with a smile. He looked up the stairs and his jaw hit the floor at the sight. Fluttershy had her hair done up with some flowers holding it in place. Her dress was light blue with a leaf green trim that was held by a pink broach in the shape of a butterfly. She descended the stair case and blushed as she looked at the stallion.

“You look...amazing.” he said as he blinked to make sure he wasn’t dreaming.

“R-really? It’s not to much?”

“No it looks perfect.” he said as he trotted next to her.

“Th-thanks, you look good too.” she said with a blush. Cross trotted over to the door and held it open. Fluttershy looked back at her friend who gave her a reassuring smile and wink. Fluttershy stepped out of the door and nodded at the stallion who offered his hoof to her.

“Shall we?” Fluttershy nodded and the two made their way to the restaurant.

“So where are we going?” she asked.

“The Jade Petal.” she looked at him in surprise.

“Th-The Jade Petal! But that place is really fancy, how did you get a table there?”

“I have my ways.” he said with a smile. The two continued to walk down the street in silence. Meanwhile Rainbow shot through the sky over to the library, She opened the door to see Twilight sitting at her desk, reading.

“Hey Rainbow what’s up?”

“Fluttershy just left with Cross for their date.”

“Well, I hope they have a good time.”

“Oh don’t worry I’ll make sure of that.” she said with a devilish grin. Twilight looked at her friend with an eyebrow raised.

“Rainbow...what are you planing?”

“Nothing.” she said in an innocent sounding voice, she said as she walked by her friend laughing to herself. She then noticed the white wolf napping in front the book case. “How long has he been here?”

“Since this morning, I was going to ask him to leave but...you know what they say; ‘Let sleeping dogs lie.’” she said with a worried look on her face. “All he’s done is sleep so I can’t really complain.” Rainbow trotted over to the wolf and patted him on the head. Ace’s eyes opened to see they cyan mare looking down at him.

“Yes?” he said as he let out a yawn.

“Dude it’s been like eight hours since you fell asleep.”

“And?”

“I enjoy naps as much as the next pony, but not in a library.”

“Twilight didn’t seem to mind.” he said as he looked at the lavender mare.

“That’s because she was scared to wake you up.” the wolf got to his paws and stretched.

“I guess you’re right, I’m getting hungry anyway.” the ponies looked back at him in fear. “Relax, I only eat manticore and timber wolves.” he said as he walked past the cyan mare. He reached the door and opened it with his mouth and ran out into the night’s cold embrace. Twilight looked at Rainbow who began to walk towards the door.

“Where are you going Rainbow?”

“Nowhere.” she said with a smug grin.

“You’re going to go spy on Cross and Fluttershy aren’t you?”

“Maybe.” she said with a sheepish grin.

“Wait up I’m coming too.” Dash looked at her friend in surprise. “I just want to give Fluttershy moral support.”

“Fine by me. Come on!” she said as she galloped out the door with the lavender mare in hot pursuit. As they crossed the town square they ran into Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie.

“Just where are you two going?” the farmer asked.

“We’re gonna go watch Cross and Flutters, should be quite a show.” Rainbow said with a sly grin.

“What are you talking about darling?” Rarity said with a raised eyebrow.

“Only one way to find out!” she said as she rocketed towards the restaurant. The other mares hurried after their pegasus friend hoping that she hadn’t done anything to sabotage their friends date.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Here we are.” Cross said with a smile. Fluttershy’s eyes went wide at the establishment. Ponies were held behind by a red velvet rope with a large stallion standing in front of it. Cross walked past the crowd and approached the stallion. “Hello there should be a private booth under under the name Cross.” the stallion looked at the clip board and nodded. He unclipped the red velvet rope and let the two ponies pass. Cross walked inside the restaurant with the yellow mare by his side, Cross trotted up to the waitress and smiled. “Hello ma’am I have a reservation for two, a private booth in the garden.” The mare looked at the list and led them to a private table lit by candle light and was surrounded by foliage and overlooked a crystal blue lake.

“Shall I get you a glass of water sir?”

“Thank you.” he said with a smile.

“That would be wonderful.” Fluttershy said as the mare trotted away from the table.

“I thought the scenery would be a nice treat.” he said with a smile.

“Oh it’s just breath taking.” she said with a smile. “But how could you have afforded this?”

“I took a few gems from that crate remember?” Fluttershy nodded.

“Can I ask something?”

“Of course.”

“You told Princess Celestia to drop that crate of jewels somewhere, where did you send them to?” let out a heavy sigh.

“My family’s estate. I pay for it’s upkeep and renovations every now and again.” he said as their water arrived.

“Do your parent’s live there?”

“No, no pony lives there anymore.” he said in a low tone.

“So where do they live?”

“They’re dead.” Fluttershy reeled back at the statement and hid behind her mane.

“Oh, I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have-”

“It’s fine. You didn’t know and it happened a long time ago.” he said with a reassuring grin. Fluttershy still looked sorry for asking the question.

“What about your parents?”

“My dad is a doctor and my mother is a banker for Cloudsdale.” the waitress returned and took their orders. The two continued to talk and share stories as the night progressed. Rainbow and the others hit atop a tree and watched them from a distance.

“Oh how romantic.” Rarity cooed.

“Ah’ll give him one thing, that stallion sure knows how to pick a nice place.” Applejack commented.

“Yeah, can you believe this joint?” Pinkie said as she looked at the scenery.

“How can he possibly afford this?” Twilight asked.

“You saw how many jewels he had, the guy is probably loaded.” Rainbow added.

“I know it’s just that something feels....weird.” Twilight said as she scratched her chin.

“Whatever, I want to see if Fluttershy’s actually going to do it.” Rainbow said as she giggled to herself.

“If she’s going to do what?” Applejack asked in a suspicious sounding voice. Rainbow ignored the question and continued to watch the couple.

Cross was shaking in his hooves as he tried to think of something to talk about. Fluttershy wasn’t fairing any better, she thanked Celestia as their food arrived and the two began to eat. Cross’s mind was so jumbled that he lost his concentration and a little bit of food landed on his horn.

Nice one idiot! What are you six? Now she probably thinks that I’ma messy eater!

“Um...Cross, you’ve got a little food on your horn.” Fluttershy said with a small giggle.

C’mon it’s now or never! she told herself.

“Sorry about that I-” he was cut off as Fluttershy trotted over to him and cleaned his horn with a lick her tongue. Cross’s eyes shrank at the motion and his mind turned blanked out. A sudden bolt of magic shot out from his horn and into the sky creating a firework display. He looked back at Fluttershy who had a confused look on her face.

DID SHE JUST DO THAT!?

I didn’t think that she was ‘that kind’ of mare!

Sheesh, just when you think you know somepony.

“Cross are you okay?” she said in a timid voice.

“Y-yeah...Who taught you how to do that?”

“Rainbow Dash told me that most unicorns like it, she didn’t say why though.” the yellow mare said as she put a hoof to her chin.

AGH! THAT EXPLAINS IT! DAMN YOU RAINBOW!he heard two muffled laughs come from across the landscape. His horn started to glow, a small shadow started to move on the ground and moved towards the noise.

Rainbow was dying of laughter as her Pinkie tried to muffle her friends cries. Twilight and Rarity had looks of shock and disgust on their faces while Applejack was stunned in confusion.

“What just happened?” the farmer asked.

“HE CASTED!” Rainbow blurted out through the laughter.

“RAINBOW! THAT WAS FAR FROM FUNNY!” Twilight yelled.

“Quite! I’m sure that you had something to do with that little.....display.” Rarity said as her eyes narrowed.

“I didn’t think that she’d actually do it!” she said through the laughter.

“But you were hoping for it!”

“So what? I was trying to make sure they had a good time.”

“OH REALLY?” the ponies looked around to see that a massive and cramped cage had formed around them. Rainbow looked in horror as her eyes fell upon an infuriated grey unicorn stallion.

“Um congratulations I guess.”

“For what?”

“Taking my place as fastest pony in equestria!” she bellowed out in laughter. The other ponies looked back at her in disgust.

“You think this is funny?” Cross’s eyes started to glow and his mane ignited to a dark green flame. Rainbow’s grin was soon replaced by pure fear.

“Look....I’m sorry okay.”

“Oh you’re not sorry...Not yet.” he said as he shifted back to his normal form. “You know who else is here tonight?” the ponies shook their heads in wonder. “Soarin and Spitfire from the Wonderbolts. I think I’ll go have a small chat with them.” he said as he turned into the cyan mare.

“What are you going to do?”

“It’s not what I’m going to do, it’s what I WILL do if you ever try anything like this again!” the ponies looked back at him in confusion. “I will go inside and spill every single secret you have to them, you’re ‘special Wonderbolt poster’, the ‘intimate’ books you read, EVERYTHING!” Rainbow was close to tears at the threat. Cross shifted back into his usual grey coat.

“P-please don’t.” she pleaded.

“I won’t, THIS time. That goes for the rest of you as well, I expected this from Rainbow but not from all of you!”

“She just dragged us along!” Twilight explained. “We didn’t even know she told Fluttershy to do that!”

“Why are you so dang angry? All she did is lick your horn.” Applejack said still trying to understand Fluttershy’s action.

“You don’t know do you?’ Cross said as he looked at the orange mare.

“Just stop talking AJ, I’ll tell you once we get back to the library.” Twilight said as she let out a sigh.

“Heres a warning.” the grey stallion looked at Twilight. “Two words; Magic Kindergarten.” Twilight’s eyes shrank at the memory, he then turned to the white unicorn. “Diary page 256.” Rarity’s mind searched for the entry and let out an audible gasp as she remembered. Cross looked at the farmer next. “Two years ago at the Canterlot rodeo you went to the Rusty Horseshoe bar.” AJ’s cheeks turned bright red at the memory. “Pinkie, all I’m gonna say is reverse party cannon.” the pink mare’s hair turned straight and looked back at the stallion in fear. “Are we clear?”

“Y-yeah.”

“Promise not to do anything like this again?”

“We Pinkie Promise.” the mares said in unison.

“Good.” his horn started to glow and he released the mares. “Oh and by the way, while I was talking with you five, Cross and Fluttershy went someplace else away from you guys.” the ponies looked back at the table to see that the couple had left the establishment. The grey clone then turned into a cloud of smoke leaving the mares dumbfounded. They all gave each other nervous looks as they walked back through town.

“Would somepony please tell me what just happened!” Applejack exclaimed. Twilight rolled her eyes and started to whisper to the mare. Applejacks eyes shrank and she hit Rainbow over the head. “What is wrong with you!? Taking advantage of poor Fluttershy like that!”

“She doesn’t even know what she did.”

“Exactly! How do you think she’s going to feel when she finds out?” Rainbow hung her head in shame.

Back across Ponyville Cross and Fluttershy were walking back to the cottage in silence. Cross suddenly shivered as he felt the clone’s information go into his brain

“Cross..are you okay?” she asked.

“Yeah..Listen Fluttershy about what you did at dinner was Rainbow’s fault.”

“What?” Cross let out a sigh and explained what Fluttershy did. Her cheeks turned bright red and tears formed in her eyes. “I’m so sorry I-I din’t know!” Cross gave her a hug.

“It’s okay, I know you didn’t. It’s not your fault, Rainbow was just trying to help you even if her methods were....unorthodox.”

“Y-you’re not mad?” she said as she broke the hug.

“No. It was a huge misunderstanding and I would never pressure you into doing anything like that.” he said as he wiped her tears away. She smiled back at him and gave him a small kiss on the lips. Fluttershy and the stallion trotted inside the small cottage. “Well goodnight.” he said as he sat down on the couch. Fluttershy looked at him nervously with a slight blush on her face.

“Um...do you want to....never mind.”

“What?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to sleep with me.”

“Um....only if you want too, I don’t want to pressure you or anything.” he said in a nervous tone. Fluttershy nodded and the two ponies trotted up to the small room. They removed their clothing and laid down under the covers. Fluttershy rested her head against his chest as Cross wrapped his hooves around her. The yellow mare let out a small yawn and closed her eyes.

She is so cute!

You lucky stallion.

He gave Fluttershy a kiss on her forehead who smiled and nuzzled his chest. Cross felt the warm embrace of the mare as he drifted off to sleep.