• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 3,350 Views, 154 Comments

Destination: Equestria - Zervziel



After an accident leaves her in another world, Amber Mayberry tries to find her way back home while drawing as little attention as possible. However events already underway in this strange, new magical land threaten to suck her in.

  • ...
16
 154
 3,350

Chapter 19

Mayberry stared in shock at the human that now held her in the air. The unicorn mare shuddered in the firm grasp it had on her. It's like looking in a mirror, she thought as she studied her own face as it studied her in return before speaking.

"Hey, Mrs. Ed, why the long face?"

Mayberry would have face-hooved if she could. Yup, the human in front of her had her horrible sense of humor too.

"Th-this is impossible!" Mayberry finally said, stuttering. The human cocked an eyebrow at that. "You're me! How's this possible?!"

"Ok, what? You lost me, horsie. I'm the impossible thing here? What about you? You look like you were designed by a drunk Tex Avery!" the human retorted as she prodded the unicorn in the stomach hard with an accusing finger.

"WHAT?!"

The word erupted from Twilight's mouth as she stalked away from the cell's bars to glare at the beast before her. The creature turned towards her as if it had forgotten she was even there. Steeling her nerves, Twilight marched towards it. As she closed the difference in size between the creature she had just yelled at and herself increased. She was just a few inches higher than it's waist!

Unwavering, Twilight assumed her best impression of her mentor's authoritative visage.

"Put that pony down right now, miss!" she shouted. Surprisingly enough, it did, setting Mayberry on the floor gently who promptly sat down with a hard 'thump.'

Twilight nodded sagely as she would for a young foal. "Very good, now-Eeeeeep!"

The words had barely gotten out of her mouth before the creature had grabbed her and picked her up instead.

"Hot damn, you critters are cute!" It crooned as it picked her up and hugged her.

"Let me go!" Twilight cried as she thrashed against the creature's hold. No use. It held her with her legs facing away from it's body so she couldn't hit it and the magic-cancellation ring on her horn kept her magic subdued.

"Please?" Twilight asked, her tone wheedling.

"Fine" It said grumpily, setting her down giving the unicorn a small pat on the head.

Twilight quickly re-adjusted her purple and now somewhat disheveled mane with a hoof. "Now that's out of the way, we can get down to business-"

"Oooo! Another one!"

Eventually, things settled down and Twilight and Mayberry now found themselves sitting with against one wall directly across from their rather large cellmate who sat cross legged against the other, one hand idly stroking the pony in her lap. Lyra had no reservations whatsoever about their new friend and had practically leapt at the human as it reached for her.

Twilight immediately took charge. "Ok, with that bit of goofiness out of the way, now may we get down to business?" They all nodded. "Thank you. First off, what in Celestia's name are you? I've never seen a being like you before."

"I'm (She's) human."

Twilight frowned at Mayberry and Lyra who'd answered at the exact same time. "Ok, how and when?"

Lyra gave the purple pony a smug grin. "Well, if you recall, I've been into cryptozoology for ages. You know, monsters and creatures from old legends thought to have actually existed at some point in time. At any rate, I came across several references to a tall bipedal ape with intelligence either rivaling or surpassing ponies. So naturally I'm fascinated by the thought of these amazing beings and have spent years trying to figure out if it's true or not. I seem to remember you disbelieving me, Twilight. Now who's the mad pony?"

"You still are." Mayberry deadpanned.

Twilight rubbed her head with a hoof, feeling as if her brain was going to claw its way out of her head and escape. "Ok, Mayberry. What about you?"

"I'm a human."

Twilight blinked in confusion before asking, "Come again?"

The pale mare sighed. "I'm human. Or was. To be specific, I was this human."

"Wat?"

This time all three of her cellmates looked at her in utter confusion. The human spoke first. "I'd think I'd recall something like that."

"But it's true!" Mayberry persisted. "I have memories of my family and friends back home!"

Twilight shook her head. "This is too much for me. Intelligent apes and crazy ponies claim they're supposedly mythical creatures. Ok, let's try this again from the top. I'm Twilight Sparkle, professor at magic and student of Princess Celestia!"

"And the polisher of Her Golden Clodhoppers!" Lyra intoned with a mischievous grin on her face causing Twilight to scowl. "I'm Lyra Heartstrings and all I have to say now is….a little to the left."

The human smiled as her hand drifted to the requested location.

"OoOoh yeah!" Lyra sighed as she practically melted into a state of bliss on the human's lap.

Finally, Mayberry introduced herself. "I'm Amber Louise Mayberry. I'm from Atlanta. You may call me Mayberry."

"How, by Poseidon's great blue crank, do you know my name!?" The human exclaimed, almost upsetting the sleepy unicorn in her lap.

"I told you! I'm you! Heck for all I know you're some unicorn in my body!" Mayberry retaliated, pointing an accusing hoof at the human.

"That would make sense," Twilight mused aloud.

The human crossed her arms. "Just one problem. I have the same set of memories."

"Oh really? Where did we eat just before coming here?"

The human shook her head, her messy nest of auburn hair flying about her face. "McDonald's. And sorry, but that doesn't work. I should be asking you these questions."

"It's true!" Lyra piped up from the humans lap. "By the way, what should we you?"

The young woman frowned. "Until we sort things out, just call me Amber."

Mayberry let out a disgruntled snort. "I still think we need to establish which one of us is the real deal. I don't want to be going about with an imposter in my body!"

Amber glared at her, before throwing her head back with a laugh. "Impostor?! Ha! You're the one that needs to do the proving!"

"ENOUGH!"

In an instead Twilight confronted Mayberry, her face practically shoved into the taller unicorn's face. "Enough! We are prisoners here and you two are bickering?!"

"Please excuse my identity crisis, Ms. Sparkle," Mayberry shot back. "But I would kinda like to figure out why I'm a pony and why there's my human self is right here in this- Where ever the hell we are!"

Lyra looked up at the human in question from her lap. "Why are you here anyway?"

"Been here ever since I got teleported here." Amber grunted, most of her attention on the still arguing unicorns.

Mayberry started. "You mean after touching that weird cloth with the jewels that was on that powerline?"

Quirking an eyebrow, Amber merely nodded before reaching into her jeans' pocket to pull out a very familiar cloth.

Mayberry was by her side immediately. "That's it! After I took this down and touched it-"

"We fell backwards off the balcony and were teleported here!" Amber finished.

Mayberry frowned, before starting to fidget with frayed end of her tail. "Except I was teleported to Canterlot."

Amber's faced scrunched itself into a disbelieving frown. "Canterlot? Oh God no! Please don't tell me this world isn't a never ending horse pun!"

Mayberry's frown slowly disappeared only to be replaced by a mischievous grin. "Ponyville, Canterlot, and Appeloosa are the names to some of their towns and cities. I checked a map on the way to Appeloosa and saw other towns like Trottingham, Hoofington, and Las Pegasus!"

With each name Amber flinched, raising her hands as if to shield herself from the names. "Please no more! The puns, the horrid puns are too much! Mercy! Uncle!"

Mayberry chuckled a bit. The unicorn made a show of inspecting her hooves a bit before she fired the last salvo. "And one elderly pony thought I was from Manehatten."

The human's only response was to wrap Lyra in a hug. "I don't want to live on this planet anymore."

"There. There." Said Lyra in a soothing voice, patting the human on the top of her head with a hoof. "It's not all bad. Equestria is a pretty nice place."

Amber could only groan. "Et tu, Lap Pony?"

Twilight watched the others antics for all the while making mental notes of how the stories of the supposed human-turned-pony and the "human" correlated on several parts.

While they seemed to fit quite well, and this "Mayberry" seemed to know quite a lot about the human's world and life, Twilight couldn't bring herself to believe the story without some further proof.

Perhaps the human was a replacement of the original or perhaps the pony was a magical construct that had the human's memories imprinted on it. Either way, the reason why anypony would even bother doing such an odd thing eluded her.

What caught Twilight's attention was Mayberry mentioning that she was sent to Canterlot instead of ending up in the cell with the human. That struck Twilight as most suspicious, but what could she do about it? Her magic was nullified and the cell doors looked quite sturdy. What she needed was a plan and unfortunately she would probably need help.

Twilight made a mental checklist of her three cell mates.

Lyra, while a very eccentric pony was still quite talented at magic. Nowhere near Twilight's level, but good enough to get into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. While she had been in Ponyville, Lyra had been one of the few ponies she could talk to about magic too without confusing her. Here Lyra had apparently ingratiated herself with the human and the pony that that she was a human. Twilight valued friendship as much as any other pony, but those three could be a potential problem.

Her next potential ally was Mayberry. This pony either had some serious mental issues or really was a human originally. Either way, she was also a potential thief and murderer. While Twilight embarrassed herself earlier with her accusations, the appearance of the human was quite effective in distracting them from it. She'd need some time to think about things, but she also not going to let this pony out of her sight.

Magically, this mare was near useless. Twilight had seen more magical potential out of Sweetie Belle in her youth as a Cutie Mark Crusader than this pony. Not that it mattered now with the magic inhibitors on their horns.

An idea popping into her head, Twilight quickly checked her hooves before letting a frustrated groan. Her shoes were gone and she was willing to bet the others didn't have theirs as well and no pony in their right mind would let anyone's teeth get near their horn no matter what was at stake.

Finally there was the human. Twilight didn't even know what to think about her. Amber seemed nice enough, but the memory of being picked up so easily haunted her. This creature could very easily become dangerous if it wanted to. Not to mention that Amber was pretty big when sitting down, allowing Lyra to sit on her lap like an overly large cat.

When the human stood up, the top of her head was would have only been an inch or two higher than Amber's waist. Sparkle would have been willing to bet Amber would have to look down to look Princess Luna in the eye. Still the human might find a way to make herself useful. Plus even if they could leave without her, she didn't deserve to be locked up like an animal.

Finally finished with her mental calculations Twlight roused herself to full awareness only to find all three of her…companions looking at her, just barely able to hold back their laughter at something.

"What? Do I have something on my face" asked Twilight, raising a hoof to her face.

"You could say that." Said Amber with a smug grin, twirling what looked like a fat cylinder with a black top in her fingers. Lyra stopped staring at Twilight to watch this feat of dexterity.

"What?!" Twilight trotted over to the one sink in the cell and looked in the mirror. Staring back was a pony with a black curly mustache as well as a black monocle. Twilight touched her face and looked at her hoof. Black ink was smeared across it.

"Ha. Ha. Very funny." She groused as she turned on the tap. After washing and scrubbing her face clean, Twilight turned to the peanut gallery once again.

"Enough funny business. It's time we discuss our plans to escape."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay again, but life and college rose up in tandem to crush my creativity for a while. Don't worry about this story dying however. I may take some time to do it, but I will continue to update no matter what. Especially since a year of my life has gone into this, so I'm not leaving it unfinished.

Anyway hope you enjoyed the chapter, mates. Please review and give some feedback so I know what to fix.