• ...
28
 150
 12,606

Surprise

Surprise!

It was a crisp, midsummer morning in Ponyville. Most ponies were setting up shop or walking around, whether it’s to enjoy the cool breeze and rising sun or to buy groceries before the crowds start forming. But there was one particular pony that wasn’t having such a good morning..

“Sweetie Belle, hurry up before you’re late!” said Rarity, a white unicorn with a deep blue mane and tail and sapphire eyes, in as a sweet a voice as she could keep.

“Coming sis!” responded an even sweeter, yet childish, voice.

All of a sudden there was a knock at the front door of Rarity’s dress shop, the Carousel Boutique.

“Ohhh who could that be?” whined Rarity in a slightly agitated voice. “I hope it’s not more customers coming to place an order, I already have enough on my plate...” she mumbled as Rarity walked to the door. Putting on a bright, smiling face she opened it with her magic and started to say “Welcome to the Carousel Bouti..” Rarity started, trailing off. She noticed it was Sweetie Belle’s friends, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom.

“Hey Miss Rarity, is Sweetie Belle ready?” asked the little yellow filly, Apple Bloom, with her family’s trademark southern accent.

“Hold on just a minute girls. SWEETIE BELLE!!!” shouted Rarity with a volume that made the earth and pegasus pony jump with fear and surprise.

“I’m coming, I’m coming. Jeez,” responded a small white unicorn filly with a pink and magenta colored mane and tail.

Noticing her friends, she got excited. “Hey Scootaloo! Hey Apple Bloom!”

They both gave her a huge smile, then Apple Bloom asked “Y’all ready fer school today?”

“Yea, I got a bunch of plans for our crusading afterwards!” added Scootaloo with excitement.

“You bet! See ya later Rarity!” said the excited white filly, giving her sister a hug before running to catch up with her friends.

“Be safe, Girls!” shouted Rarity, knowing full well the kind of trouble that trio of fillies can cause.

After closing her door and sighing, Rarity decided to head into the kitchen for a cup of tea before starting on her new clothing lines for the upcoming Fall and Winter seasons. After taking a few steps toward her kitchen, Rarity started feeling slightly dizzy, and she could feel the onset of a headache. Thinking the tea will help, she continued to walk towards the kitchen, using her magic to levitate all the things she’d need to make her drink. While waiting for the water to boil, she started to think of designs and colors that would look fabulous and “in.”

“Well, for Fall, I could use rustic colors like brown and red. Or, maybe something a little brighter like yellow and red-orange?” As Rarity was deep in thought, her kettle started to whistle and steam, snapping her out of her thoughts. She finished making her tea then levitated the cup with her upstairs so she could grab her notebook in which she usually kept her ideas and drawings before she decided they were perfect enough to become tangible.

When she reached her room she started looking for the notebook, forgetting what she did last with it. Taking a few sips of her tea, she started looking in drawers and underneath piles of leftover cloth that she seemed to never have time to dispose of properly.

“Aha! There it is,” Rarity happily said to herself as she found her notebook on the floor by her bed. “Hmm, must’ve fallen asleep while writing in it again last night.”

As she enclosed the book in her blue aura of magic and lifted it, she took a few more sips of her tea; that’s when it hit full force. She could feel her stomach rumbling and bile starting to creep its way up her throat, so she rushed to her bathroom and started vomiting in her toilet. After about a minute or two, she washed her mouth out with water to wash away the taste and looked at herself in the mirror.

“I don’t understand what’s wrong,” the unicorn said to her reflection, “I look perfectly normal. Ohh I do hope I’m not getting sick... I know, I’ll go to the doctor’s, just to be on the safe side.” So, after taking a few more gulps of water and cleaning up her spilt tea, Rarity closed and locked up her shop and headed towards the hospital.

*************************************************************************************************

As she entered the hospital, Rarity couldn’t help but shudder like she usually does whenever she enters hospitals. For some reason, the white walls and overpowering smell of sanitized floors always made the fashionista feel uncomfortable. She trotted up to the desk and smiled at the white Earth Pony who wore her pale red hair in its usual bun.

“Hello Nurse Redheart,” Rarity greeted. “I was wondering if I could get a quick checkup; I haven’t been feeling well this morning and just wanted to make sure that it was nothing more than a cold.”

The nurse smiled at Rarity and replied, “of course dear, just take a seat and I’ll come get you when a room is open”.

*************************************************************************************************

After waiting for an hour in those “horrendous and tacky chairs,” as Rarity would describe them, Nurse Redheart came out and led the unicorn to a room where she promptly starting doing a basic checkup: her pulse, temperature and all the usual stuff nurses and doctors do.

“All right,” began nurse Redheart, “looks like everything’s fine Miss Rarity. All we need is a blood sample to check for any viruses present in your bloodstream and you should be good to go.”

“Oh, thank you so much Nurse Redheart!” thanked Rarity with a relieved sigh. “Well,” she thought, “maybe it was just something I ate this morning.”

After what seemed like ages (but was only an hour and a half), Nurse Redheart appeared beaming at Rarity. “Well, I’ve got good news and even better news! Which would you like to hear first?” she asked the dress maker.

“Umm, the good news?” Rarity half asked, half said, slightly confused.

“Well, the good news is you’re not sick nor have any signs of any illness.”

“And the better news?”

Nurse Redheart couldn’t stop herself from giving Rarity the biggest smile her mouth would allow as she said to her, “Congratulations! You’re going to be a mother in about 10 months!”

Rarity’s eyes became as wide as physically possible, her sapphire irises becoming so small one would think they didn’t even exist, and her jaw became somewhat slack. “I...I’m..I, uh...WHAT!?!?!” shrieked the shocked and confused unicorn before blacking out.