• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 804 Views, 36 Comments

It Started with That Humming - TypewriterError



My name is Screw Loose. I've lost something and I want it back.

  • ...
0
 36
 804

Setback

Ouch.

I can feel my vertebrae reaching the breaking point as the edge pokes into my back. Only a gasp comes out as the box rolls over my pelvis before falling over to the side.

“Sorry, Loose! I thought Pumpkin was there.” Haven gasps as she crawls back over to stand above me on the platform. She pants from the exertion of rolling the box off of me.

“I’m fine . . . “ I wheeze out as I stand up, provoking a coughing fit. Oi.

“What the hay was that?” Timestamp asks as he trots in from the front desk, “Haven?” he bellows to the female earth pony who hides all but her muzzle and eyes behind a large box. My back cries with pain while I can only manage a gasp.

“Get over to the front desk, Loose.” he commands, “I’ll take over here. PUMPKIN!” he hollers as he trots away. Haven pokes the rest of her coco tan head above the boxes.

“I really am sorry, Loose. I didn’t mean to—”

“Please, don’t worry about it.” I groan before another coughing fit.

“Need any help?”

“I’m fine.”

“PUMPKIN!” Timestamp calls again. I pass the open doorway where two unicorns feverishly sort mail through half-closed eyes hinting at redness. It’s bills month. I blame them for finding the coffeepot empty everytime I go to pour myself a shot.

There is a crash from the other side of the post office. I brace myself against the wall out of habit. Pumpkin, a massive earth stallion colored dark orange with a pea green mane and tail, canters past me while keeping his hat on somehow. I carefully plod over to the front desk where a light yellow unicorn mare stands with a manila envelope in her mouth and a stunned expression behind her glasses.

“Can I help you?”

“Yes,” she says after depositing the envelope onto the counter,”I was wondering if this manuscript counts as —”

“PUMPKIN!”

I’m right here . . .” the burly stallion replied.

“How does anyone possibly miss Pumpkin?” the unicorn commented. I shrug then lean against the counter with a slightly concealed groan.

“Your manuscript?” I remind her, trying to take her inquisitive look off of me.

“Are you feeling alright?”

“Just sore.”

“Your cutie mark is a nail?”

“Screw actually. Can I—”

“A Screw? What are you? A mechanic?”

“ . . . Why does it mean anything to you?”

“Just curious.”

“I’m not a mechanic.”

“But your cutie mark—”

“It’s a long story.”

“I love long stories!” she piped excitedly then shrunk behind the counter in a fashion similar to Haven’s a few moments ago.

“Yeah . . . can I help you?”

“Oh, yes. I was wondering if it counts as a package because it’s a little heavier.”

As I assist the unicorn, I’m aware of the burning that’s growing up my spine. I probably pulled a muscle. Hopefully I wouldn’t have to take time off of work. I’ve barely been here a month. The implications of possibilities weigh on me. After the mare trots off, having paid for her manuscript to be sent to a Canterlot publisher, I collapse onto the bench and let myself groan. Timestamp walks in.

“Where does it hurt?”

“About where my shirt ends.” He gingerly touches the spot and I howl, arching my raging back. When I come out of the howl, I see Timestamp bracing himself against the counter.

“I see . . .”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me.” I say, concealing my panic under my blushing.

“Do you want to head home? Get some rest?”

“I’d rather not lose more time.”

“If you’re in this much pain—”

“May I take a fifteen minute break? If it still hurts then I’ll go home?”

“Can’t say I don’t need the help . . .” he reasons, “But only if you’re perfectly fine after your break.”

“Ok.” I concede. I crawl toward the break room and roll onto the couch. Lying on my spine with my hooves in the air helps. Fifteen minutes should leave my back feeling alright again. The bell in the front rings but thankfully it’s only Derpy flying in to check on the mail for the nearest pegasus village. She hovers above the counter and peeks into the break room.

“Hi!” she shouts excitedly, waving her hoof at me. I wince as her wings stop working and she plummets to the counter. How is it that she gets through a single day without injury? Timestamp canters out.

“Who fell?”

“Yup!” Derpy says through her permanent smile. Does nothing ever bother her? Timestamp facehoofes himself.

“Derpy . . . I told you not to fly in here.”

“I’m sorry!”

“No, you’re fine. I’ll get the mail.” he says and trots into the mail room, returning shortly with a perfectly stacked pile of letters. Derpy shoves them haphazardly into her bag and the bell rings again. An elderly stallion approaches the counter and inquires about stamps. As he finishes up a voice behind the counter asks for a flat rate box. It seems that after each customer leaves there is little wait before the next one approaches.

For fifteen minutes I rest my back and my eyes. I accidentally fall asleep and Timestamp wakes me up with a gentle tap of his hoof.

“How does your back feel?” I roll off the couch and stretch my neck slightly.

“I think I’m good. I’m a little sore but I can handle smaller packages.”

“Are you sure?”

“It’s only thirty minutes until Hokey Pokey arrives.”

“All right. Just take it easy. I don’t want you injured even worse.” he says and leaves to answer the bell. I return to the package warehouse, glancing at the nervous unicorn stallion with no letters. Maybe he’ll need a job and help Sleepy Stars or Weeping Willow get a break every once in awhile. I stand under the truck as Haven nudges the last box to the edge.

“Are you sure—”

“Yep, I’m good.” I assure her. She tips the small box onto my back and I feel a twinge. I hide my discomfort and place the parcel with the others. Haven hops off the truck and another one backs up. The process continues. Each box brings a sharp pain to my spine and both of my hocks. I know I’m being very foolish. Still, half an hour’s pay means I’ll be closer to my goal.

I pant after setting another box on top of the large on that Pumpkin had just deposited. Something wraps around my barrel and squeezes tightly and my eyes fly open and I draw a deep breath.

“Good afternoon, Shrimpy!” Hokey Pokey bellows. He takes my yelp as a yelp of surprise and hugs me tighter.

“Hokey! She hurt her back! Be careful!” Haven cries out. Instantly I’m dropped on my tail. That does it. I can’t restrain my agony as my back is whipped by a strap of fire. A scream blasts from my muzzle and my eyes water. Timestamp rushes in. Hokey Pokey backs away, embarrassed.

“I, didn’t realize you were in pain.” he mumbles. I’m shaking. I can barely feel my legs. Please, I don’t want to have to give up work!

“She can’t go home like this.” Timestamp says. I cry into my foreleg.

“What was the scream?” Derpy asks, hovering above us.

“Screwloose has hurt her back. I don’t thinks he can make the train ride back home.”

“I’ll be fine!” I sob.

“Don’t be ridiculous. I shouldn’t have let you back here.”

“Please don’t fire me. I need this job.”

“Screwloose, don’t be silly. We’re not going to fire you. I’m just not going to allow you to come to work until you see a doctor.” I keep blubbering into my forelegs from panic and pain. How long would it take for me to get back to work? How much will this cost me? I should have just gone home thirty minutes early.

“She can stay at my house.” Derpy offers.

“I don’t want to . . .”

“Shut up, you’re staying at Derpy’s house and I’m going to help you get there.” Pumpkin says. I gulp and nod. Nopony ever argues with Pumpkin, even if he is at risk for being wrong most of the time.

“How are you going to get me there?” He instantly lies down next to me. I could argue but I know he is fully capable of carrying me and that I can’t walk to Derpy’s house . . . wherever it is. I wait until I can move without fear of passing out and climb onto his back. I feel each movement of his muscles in my spine as he stands up and I shut my eyes to try and keep the tears in.

“Follow me!” Derpy yips excitedly. I smother my yelps of pain into whimpers as he walks cautiously, carrying me like a box of fine porcelain.

“All right, Hokey Pokey: you and Haven get to work. I’ll clock you out, Screwloose.” Timestamp calls to us.

“I don’t live far from here.” Derpy says as I hear her land next to us. Even with my eyes closed I can still tell that Pumpkin is taking me out the back door. It’s nice that I won’t have to see too many ponies by going out the front into the town center.

“Where do you live?”

“A block to the right here.” she says and I hear a door open. I keep trying to find something else to focus on instead of the pain in my back. The day outside is warm but a breeze wafts over me, leaving chills that clench my back. Pumpkin stops when I groan.

“You ok?”

“Please, keep going. It will be better when I can lie down.” He patiently resumes plodding on.

“We’re almost there.”

“You live close.”

“Yeah, I had to be close to the school. Sparkler works after school to help cover the cost.”

“I’m not complaining . . . “ I interject.

“The stairs are a doozy though.”

Stairs!”

“Don’t worry, Loose, I’ve carried heavier stuff than you.” My cheek burns against his neck. At least my back is starting to relax again.

“Up here.” Derpy says, flying over us and opening the door after using her key.

“Ok. Tell me if it hurts.” Pumpkin warns before entering the cool shade of the duplex.

“The guest bedroom is upstairs. It will be quiet up there.”

“Derpy, this is really too much.”

“No, don’t want you getting hurt any more.” Derpy says, her eyes growing shiny with tears. I still feel guilty as Pumpkin walks me past books, papers, and toys scattered on every available space. My parents would have a fit here. This is a house that’s been lived in. I must admit, even I feel claustrophobic. After some grunting and stopping, I’m brought to the guest bedroom and I roll from Pumpkin’s back to the bed, settling into the soft mattress.

“I’ll be right back. I just need to finish my shift and get the fillies. Pumpkin, can you stay with her?”

“I need to head back to work, too.”

“I’ll just sleep until you get back.”

“Sounds best.” Pumpkin says, giving my hoof a friendly nuzzle, “Get better soon, ok?”

“I’ll try.” Derpy drapes a quilt over me, “Thanks.”

“You’ll be all set in no time!” she says, flying into the doorframe. She backs up again, shakes her head, then cautiously lowers herself to the floor to stagger out. Pumpkin follows behind her, closing the door. I hear their hooves trot downstairs and the back door lock.

So, Derpy Hooves has fillies? How long has that been the case? She’s never mentioned her family before and being secretive isn’t normal for her. I stare at the closet door before me. My back still hurts but the longer I stay still the more it goes away. I'm sweaty from the exertion. Finally I can let a few whimpers run free. It's still burning but at least I can move my posterior legs so I know I'm not paralyzed. Now I have plenty of time to worry about what happens next.

Discord’s in Canterlot.

Great, I have time to think about anything and the first thing my mind jumps to is him? Then again, he is my closest connection to Mayhem. I hope she doesn’t mind living away from her father, if she knows who he is. What if Discord is taking care of her right now and has forgotten me completely? I hold the pillow closer to my face and close my eyes. That shouldn’t have hurt. He's hurt me too much already and there is no reason i should trust him to be a good father to my daughter.

What will I name Mayhem? She can't go by that name the rest of her life. Raspberry Cloud? What is her cutie mark? Does she have one yet? If she doesn’t have a cutie mark, her name can still be changed. Sherbert Cloud? Candy Twister? Curly Cute? I come up with a whole list of names, some ridiculous, some are ones I’ll have to remember. How big is she? Could I still hold her in my forelegs? Will she look up at me and know who I am? Will she be the same filly I held while I close my eyes in the field?

I'm not sure when I fall asleep, but when I do I can't move anything below where my back hurts.

Comments ( 14 )

Awesome. I take it that the back problems will come into play later.

2070465 my good man you are a cruel individual. Iove it:pinkiehappy:

2070552 I feel bad sometimes. Then I realize that life is not life without conflict.

2070641 damn straight just the other day my life conflicted with the cops.

2070719 it ended with an afternoon in jail and a tetanus shot :applecry: but looking back on it all its kind of funny. :rainbowlaugh:

2070742 I got bitten... by a person. And that's all I have to say on that subject. So how was your day.

2070753 ....pretty tame...unless you count sinus problems.

2070760 I bet those've gotta suck.

2070776 Eh, it could always be worse.

2078901 hee hee hee...yeah, he just might be my favorite character.

Login or register to comment