• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 449 Views, 3 Comments

Blazing Wings - FriscoPony



Blazing Wings is the story of two pegasi whose dream has been to join the Royal Guard Air Brigade through the Air Brigade Academy for Talented Pegasi

  • ...
 3
 449

Chapter 1

“Hurry up Hurricane, you’re going to make us late again!” called Winter racing towards the training grounds.

“Relax Winter,” called Hurricane back to him dashing forward, “We won’t be late this time.”

Winter rolled his eyes. “Why don’t you tell that to the clock hurricane, see where the minute hand is?” he said pointing to the clock tower above the dorms. “I don’t know if you’re blind or something but that minute hand is saying we have 2 minutes to make the final training, and the training grounds are 5 minutes from here!”

“No time to stop now or else we’ll be really late then, won’t we?” called hurricane picking up a bolt of speed.

The two pegasi swiftly flew through flight camp to get ready for their last chance to show significant signs of signing up for the air brigade. It had been their dream since they were young to be in the brigade, and they had one more session to prove just how serious they were. Hurricane and Winter sent papers flying everywhere as they made a rapid move to make the final session.

Winter soon had the training grounds in his sights, just in time.

“Hey we’ve made it!” called Winter in all of the wind noise. Hurricane couldn’t hear him though.

“What’s that?” he shouted over the wind speed.

“I said,” Called Winter, “We’ve made-“

CLOP!

Before winter could say another word, he and Hurricane had found themselves standing on top of Coach Sky Chaser, one of the top coaches in flight school, who had taught Spitfire and Rainbow Dash, two of the fastest flyers in Equestria. By the looks of things, he was very upset.

“Well what do we have here,” boomed Sky Chaser trying to make example of the two young stallions. “Hurricane, and Winter Chaser, two of my best fliers, yet they are always late.”

“We’re sorry coach,” said Winter getting back on his hooves. “We were just-“

“QUIET!” boomed the coach. With that Hurricane and Sky Chaser quickly got in line. “Alright you colts and fillies,” he said pacing the row of pegasi, “today is your last day of having to deal with me shouting at you all the time. However, you still have one last test to complete before you can leave here to go wherever the winds take you.”

“What do you think our last test is going to be?” whispered Hurricane to Winter. Little did he know that coach had overheard.

“GOOD QUESTION HURRICANE!” boomed Coach. “For your last test, you will be doing an endurance test! This is the same test that Rainbow Dash and Spitfire took before they final left the final phase of flight camp for the open skies. First, you will clear 10 clouds from the sky, next you will fly through the wind tunnels that generate the air currents. You will have to make them through and dodge the winds as fast as possible, after that, you make a rapid dash back here, and then you’re done! Any questions?”

“Do we need a partner for this training exercise?” called winter patiently raising his hoof.

The coach looked at him with a quirked smile on his face, as sky chaser was well aware that Winter and Hurricane, when together, ere an unstoppable force. He wanted them to have a challenge. “Good question Winter!” boomed the coach. “You will all be doing this solo; the first pony to finish the course will have the benefit of me signing whatever they need to get into the Wonderbolt academy, Royal Guard academy, or the Air Brigade academy! Everyone else will have to find someone else, because I will only take the best of the best, same expectations as the academies!”

Winter and Hurricane could only stand in shock. Instead of working together to achieve the same goal, they now had to work separately.

“Well,” said Hurricane looking at his friend sadly, “good luck.”

Winter tried not to look too down at him, but to be honest he did not want to see his friend get a benefit that they both deserved. “Good luck to you too,” said Winter with a fake smile on his face.

The row of pegasi then lined the starting lines waiting for their last shot to begin.

“Take your mark!” called the coach.