• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 7,122 Views, 229 Comments

The Reason I Love You - Blue Dragon



Twilight and Pinkie reminisce about their hidden feelings for each other, and finally decide to do something about it.

  • ...
11
 229
 7,122

Let Me Show You

"W-Where are you taking me, Pinkie?" Twilight shivered as she was dragged by her scarf for the second time that day. Pinkie muffled out a response, but it hadn't made any sense. She'd never seen the pink pony more determined.

The unicorn was confused when they trotted out of town. Where could Pinkie be taking her that wasn't in Ponyville?

Pinkie Pie, however, knew exactly what she was doing. I just hope it's cold enough... She thought absently. It would be the perfect way to prove her feelings, even to somepony as calculating as Twilight. Pinkie tugged a little harder as they neared the location, ascending over a small hill.

As they finally made it over, Twilight was met with a very memorable place. The lake was frozen over completely with snow rimming around the edges--just like the first time she'd seen it. She was immediately thinking about what had happened here, and how embarrassed she was for her actions.

Pinkie only continued to pull her towards the water with a smile. When they reached the edge, she let the scarf drop from her mouth and turned towards Twilight. Or, more specifically, her saddlebag. The pink pony began digging through it, intriguing the unicorn further. Why is she rummaging through my saddlebag as if it was hers?

Before she had the chance to stop her, Pinkie beamed and pulled out several pairs of ice skates. Twilight felt anxious as soon as she'd seen them.

"I'm not a very good skater, Pinkie! Don't you remember last time?" She expressed her concern. Pinkie had a grin on her face as she bent down towards Twilight's forelegs.

"Don't worry, Twilight! You'll be okay." She was able to get Twilight's first two hooves into the shoes easily, but had to use her mouth to tie the laces. She was moving pretty fast for having to do something so hard, though.

The unicorn was feeling very nervous. She blushed when Pinkie lifted her back legs to put the shoes on, but that wasn't what was making her uneasy. Twilight wasn't sure what the earth pony had planned, but from the way the party pony had reacted when she'd expressed her doubt, it was meant to be rather heartfelt.

When Pinkie Pie finished putting Twilight's skates on her, she practically threw on a single pair on her back legs. She was very excited to finally live out her favorite fantasy with Twilight.

Pinkie Pie nudged Twilight towards the ice. The unicorn felt a lump grow in her throat at the memory of how that'd gone last time. Mostly, she just remembered how cold it was, and how hard the ice was on her flank.

"I don't think I'm ready for this..." She mumbled back to her partner. Pinkie giggled.

"Of course you're ready!" Without any hesitation, she gently pushed Twilight onto the ice. Her feet were sliding around instantly, trying to find purchase on the slippery ground. It didn't work.

Once again, Twilight found herself falling to the ice. She closed her eyes, bracing herself for the harsh impact she knew was about to come...

But it never did. When the unicorn felt warmth radiating from her side, she opened her eyes in confusion. The first thing she saw was the ice underneath her, close enough to lean down and touch it with her muzzle. Not that she wanted to.

Her brain was working itself over trying to find how she was suddenly levitating without the use of magic, but then she remembered the heat beside her. She glanced towards it, and was surprised to see Pinkie there, holding her up with only her forelegs. It was enough to make her heartbeat quicken.

"I told you that you'd be okay..." Pinkie pulled Twilight back up so she wasn't in any danger of falling. The unicorn felt kind of silly on four legs while Pinkie was able to balance on two, but she was thankful that the pink mare hadn't let her touch the ice.

"Thank you," she managed out. Pinkie Pie nuzzled Twilight just behind her ear, giggling.

"You're welcome!"

As Twilight finally got comfortable with standing completely still on the ice, she wasn't expecting Pinkie to change it up. The party pony slid around to face her with a smile. She reached out with both forelegs and pulled Twilight up until she was only on two hooves. This immediately caused panic to surge through the unicorn.

"Pinkie, I-I'm not ready to stand like this..." She already felt her legs slip from underneath her. Pinkie Pie giggled and held Twilight's shoulders up so she wouldn't fall. The unicorn blushed at the close proximity, and could still feel herself slipping.

"Don't worry, I won't let you fall." She soothed, reaching down for Twilight's hooves. "Come on, Twilight, you gotta hold on!" The earth pony placed Twilight's forelegs above her shoulders before resting hers on the unicorn's.

Anytime Twilight felt her lower legs slide, she'd put more pressure on Pinkie to right herself. The pink pony liked feeling so important, especially to Twilight. The lavender mare, however, was a little embarrassed to be in this position.

"How did you get so balanced?" She asked, avoiding the pink pony's gaze.

"The first time I ever ice skated, I was able to do it! I guess I'm just a natural at it! Anyway, we'd better get started--I didn't know I could stand still for so long!" Pinkie Pie giggled.

"W-What?" Twilight exclaimed, only just used to standing on two legs. Pinkie laughed a little louder.

"Hold on," She pushed off the ice at a slow pace. "And make sure you're moving your feet..." Pinkie said absently as she skated in a straight line. She made sure Twilight wasn't slipping too badly, and she seemed to get the hang of it eventually.

So, the earth pony began to do more intricate maneuvers. At first she started with curving around the lake, then she increased speed. Slowly, her hooves moved down to Twilight's waist. The unicorn hadn't really noticed, too thrilled with this new activity. The party pony was so excited for what she had planned.

Pinkie Pie twirled Twilight around, getting more confident. With the way the unicorn was giggling and smiling, it didn't seem possible that she was so upset earlier. Pinkie wondered if she believed in her feelings yet.

The pink pony spun around in a tight circle, holding Twilight close. Out of nowhere, she dipped down with her, one hoof around her waist, the other supporting her head. She gazed into the unicorn's eyes, and Twilight didn't look away this time.

"Do you trust me, Twilight...?"

She held her breath, not daring to hope for anything. Twilight's eyes were a little shaky, but she maintained eye contact. A small smile, the most beautiful one she'd ever seen on Twilight, graced her features. Pinkie's heart beat faster, and she had to force herself not to smile, too.

"Yes, of course I trust you, Pinkie."

The whole wide world of Equestria seemed to hold its breath for this moment. Pinkie was trying to memorize every detail about Twilight, and the way her fur contrasted with the bright white ground. There just wasn't enough time for it, though. Pinkie Pie smiled so widely it almost looked like it hurt.

This time, however, she didn't hesitate or ask. The pink mare leaned down and captured Twilight's lips in a kiss. It was soft, and warm, and everything she'd imagined it'd be. She tasted a lot nicer than that old pillow in her room.

Twilight was feeling similarly. The pink pony tasted just as sweet as she'd thought she would, if not more. The unicorn liked feeling Pinkie so close, holding her. She wrapped her hooves around Pinkie's neck. There was no doubt in her mind now. If Pinkie hadn't actually had feelings for her, then why would she go through all this trouble? It didn't seem possible for somepony to pretend to get this close if they didn't actually like the other pony.

After what felt like forever to both mares, Pinkie pulled away with a huge smile. She was feeling the greatest feeling ever in the history of Equestria. That dream she'd never really thought she'd have--it'd just happened, and Twilight loved her.

Twilight was in love with Pinkie.

"I love you, Twilight!" She exclaimed happily. Twilight was about to reply, but was interrupted by that unmistakable cracking sound.

The ice was breaking.

Neither ponies had a chance to react before it gave way, swallowing them up into its murky waters. Pinkie was so distracted by the kiss and Twilight's beauty that she hadn't noticed the weak patch of ice.

"T-Twilight!" Pinkie sputtered as she got back to the surface. The unicorn must've still been underwater. She quickly undid her skates and swam back down, looking for her mare.

Twilight Sparkle wasn't a very good swimmer, either. She'd hit her head on the ice when she fell, and was knocked out. Pinkie could feel the freezing cold water on her fur, but she could see the unicorn just below her. She reached out to her, kicking hard at the water. It took a few seconds to find the opening in the ice, but she managed to get back up.

With as much strength as she could muster, Pinkie got Twilight onto the ice. She was spitting out the water she'd gotten into her mouth, and gasped for breath. Swiftly, she got back up onto the ice next to her unconscious unicorn.

"Twi...light," she repeated, looking at the mare beside her. Had she swallowed water? Most likely. Pinkie Pie pressed her hooves onto the unicorn's chest, doing the motions of CPR. Just when the pink pony was going to give Twilight some air, the unicorn sputtered water out.

"Are you okay?!" Pinkie Pie asked immediately, laying her ear atop the lavender mare's heart to make sure it was still working. Twilight was coughing loudly.

"Y...Yeah," she managed out, still coughing.

"I'm so sorry, Twi, I didn't think the ice was going to break! Are you sure you're okay? That really scared me!"

"I'm okay... My head hurts a lot, though..." The unicorn pushed herself onto her haunches and reached a hoof up to the back of her head, wincing.

"Did you hit your head when you fell?" Pinkie nuzzled Twilight's cheek, glad that she wasn't hurt too badly.

"I think so. But that's not important right now... Just look at us--completely soaked on ice. It's p-pretty cold now..." Pinkie Pie inched closer. "But in response to you... I love you, too. And I really do trust you. I don't know what came over me earlier; I should've known from the start. P-Pinkie, you're the best mare ever."

"No, silly, that's you!"

"C-Can we...go inside and get warm? This s-skating thing was great, but I'm really cold and wet right now, so I want to dry off. And I think I need to get my head wrapped up or something..."

"Sure!" Pinkie hugged Twilight tightly. "Let's go to the library, then!"

Author's Note:

I was very tempted to leave it as a cliffhanger with Twilight unconscious underwater, so you guys should be grateful. xD And my tragedy-loving mind was just begging me to make this story sad. I'm keeping my resolve to keep this very lovey-dovey, though, and I hope you liked this edition. :D