• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 7,120 Views, 229 Comments

The Reason I Love You - Blue Dragon



Twilight and Pinkie reminisce about their hidden feelings for each other, and finally decide to do something about it.

  • ...
11
 229
 7,120

Under Her Jurisdiction

Twilight’s jaw had dropped. She knew that Princess Celestia was going to be visiting her today, but she didn’t think Luna would show up too! It must have been important for both Princesses to get away from royal duties at the same time.

Princess Celestia smiled at Twilight from behind the door. “I hope we’re not too early…”

The unicorn practically had to pick up her jaw from the floor. She hoped she had enough sandwiches for both of them. “Oh, of course not, Princess! Come in.” Twilight stepped aside and let the two ponies into the library.

Within the few seconds that Twilight had been away from Pinkie, the hyper mare had set up a picnic table with four plates and a basket full of daisy sandwiches in the center. Woah. How did she…?

Twilight overcame her surprise faster than she had earlier with a shake of the head. It’s Pinkie. The unicorn then gestured to the table and said, “Why don’t you two make yourselves comfortable?”

“Thank you for letting us visit at such short notice, Twilight.” Princess Celestia mentioned as she and her sister sat next to each other. Twilight then slid into the seat opposite her mentor.

“It’s no problem, Princess.” Twilight smiled brightly. She was happy to see her teacher, since it’d been quite a while since she had last. Pinkie then bounced onto the bench Twilight was on, grinning as well. She made sure she was sitting really close to Twilight—though the unicorn didn’t see why. She hoped the two older mares didn’t notice.

“Yeah, it’s nice to see you both!” Pinkie chirped with a smile. “I hope daisy sandwiches are alright.”

“It’s fine.” Luna replied with a polite nod before lifting a sandwich up to her muzzle. Then, she stopped its ascent with a frown. Her eyes lingered on Twilight’s head. “Did you hurt yourself, Twilight Sparkle?”

A bashful blush appeared on Twilight’s cheeks. She’d been ice-skating with Pinkie—best experience ever—when the ice had broken underneath of her. Twilight didn’t remember much about what had happened after that, except for the throbbing pain in the back of her head. How Luna had figured out that she’d been hurt, Twilight didn’t know.

“Oh, I just, uh, hit my head the other day.” Twilight smiled unconvincingly, feeling a ghost of the sensation. Pinkie gave her a concerned look.

“…I see,” the Princess of the Night replied, though she didn’t sound as if she believed her. She then took a bite of the daisy sandwich that’d been suspended in her magic. With that, Twilight and Princess Celestia both grasped a sandwich in their own magic and began to eat. The lavender unicorn had to suppress the urge to breathe a sigh of relief now that the subject had been dropped.

Pinkie, however, lacked a horn, and had to eat the earth pony way. She didn’t really mind using her hooves, but she felt a little out of place.

After a few more moments of silence, Princess Celestia cleared her throat. “So… Twilight,” she began regally, causing Twilight to look up nervously. Oh no, this is it, this is it—she’s going to ask me about my studies! Oh, she’s going to send me back to Magic Kindergarten when she finds out I’ve been slacking!

“…How have you been sleeping lately?”

Twilight blinked. She hadn’t been expecting a question like that. “Why do you ask, Princess?”

All these questions were starting to seem like an intervention of some sort. Like, the Princesses were dancing around the subject they’d come all this way to talk about because they weren’t sure how Twilight was going to react. To see visible nerves from her mentor made Twilight even more uneasy.

Princess Celestia glanced at her sister. Luna frowned, but spoke anyway, “Do you know why I am here, Twilight Sparkle?”

The unicorn shook her head, even more confused than before. “I didn’t think there was a specific reason, Princess.”

Luna smiled shyly. “Yes, well, as much as I do enjoy your company, Twilight, this audience is of utmost importance. Please, walk with me.”

The Princess of the Night stood from her seat, despite only eating one sandwich. Pinkie looked at Twilight curiously, silently begging her to stay. The unicorn didn’t notice, and whispered simply, “I’ll be back soon. Okay?”

The pink mare nodded even though she didn’t want Twilight to go. She just had a bad feeling about it. And, worst of all, she really wanted to kiss Twilight, but knew she couldn’t in the presence of the two Princesses—not when her marefriend so obviously didn’t want them to know about their relationship.

Twilight stood up and trotted around the table until she was next to Luna. The two then walked out of the library, leaving Celestia and Pinkie alone.

Luckily, Pinkie wasn’t one for awkward silences. Her side felt oddly cold without Twilight there, but she maintained a cheery smile. “How have you been, Princess?”

“Perfectly fine.” she responded as she ate another sandwich. She seemed to be distracted—perhaps by whatever the other two were going to be talking about.

Naturally, Pinkie wanted to know. “Sooo, Princess Celestia… You wanted me to be here too, right? Is my attendance of utmost importance like Twilight’s? For what, then?”

Princess Celestia sighed, and gave Pinkie an apologetic look. “Yes, your attendance was important to my sister. She’s worried about Twilight’s well-being—especially at night. I wanted to speak with you about it.”

That made Pinkie nervous, but she kept it to herself. The Princess continued, “But first… Are you two dating?”

Pinkie’s face turned red. She was immediately thinking about how she wasn’t supposed to tell anypony else about the fact she and Twilight were dating—but was afraid she’d already given herself away. Not to mention that the Princess Celestia had asked, and it’d be considered taboo to lie.

Luckily, the pink mare didn’t have to make a choice. Princess Celestia smiled lightly. “So it is true…”

“What do you mean, Princess? I mean, um, how did you know?” Pinkie figured she felt just about as nervous as Twilight would be in front of the Cakes. Princess Celestia had been a motherly figure to Twilight ever since she was a filly, and the two definitely shared a close bond that had certainly surpassed that of a teacher and student.

“If you ignore the close seating arrangements and nervous glances… I know my faithful student very well.” Princess Celestia’s tone was playful.

Pinkie blushed harder and fumbled with the sandwich in her hooves, her eyes anywhere but on the Princess.

The alicorn’s expression soon turned serious. “I trust you’ve been treating her well?”

“Of course!” The earth pony’s eyes met Princess Celestia’s. “I wouldn’t dream of doing anything but that!”

The alicorn smiled, but the corners of her mouth dipped back down shortly. “I’m glad. But I’m afraid we do have a problem on our hooves.”

Finally, the heat in Pinkie’s cheeks died down. She opted not to say anything, and instead watched attentively. The Princess then went on to inform Pinkie of what her sister had told her in great detail. The further the discussion continued, the more Pinkie’s ears drooped. Her shoulders sagged and her head dropped in defeat. Some tears were shed in the process.

She couldn’t believe it.


“If you don’t mind my asking, Princess, what did you want to talk about?” Twilight questioned with a bounce in her step. She and Luna were walking around Ponyville aimlessly. Some onlookers stared in awe at the fact a Princess was in town, though they mostly kept to themselves.

Luna only seemed a little bothered. She smiled in response to the unicorn. “Just wanted to catch up. And… to ask your permission.”

Twilight tilted her head curiously. “Permission? For what, Princess?”

Luna pawed at the ground, and her eyes were cast to the side. “Luna. Just… Luna.”

The unicorn’s brow furrowed, but she said nothing. Now that they’d stopped walking, her gaze focused on the older mare’s strange behavior and posture. She’d never seen Luna anything short of graceful before—other than when she was Nightmare Moon, of course.

“I must admit, it has taken me many days to accept that times have changed. But now… I believe I have improved in casual conversation among my subjects. Do you think so?” Luna’s tone was filled with uncertainty.

Twilight nodded, but she didn’t see how that had to do with anything. “Yes, you’re doing much better.” She didn’t know what else to say, so she waited for the other pony to continue.

“The point is this: for the past thousand years, I have had nopony to talk with. You brought me to my senses when I did return—and I consider you a dear friend for that. And, it is because of this that I wanted to speak with you. I wanted to say that I am here if things go wrong, and all you needith do is call.”

At first, Twilight didn’t get what was going on. A few seconds later, it occurred to her that Luna was pretty much asking to become better friends with her. Though, that didn’t leave much room for her to reply. “I appreciate that very much, Luna. I’ll be sure to send you a letter if anything comes up.”

The unicorn hugged the alicorn. When she pulled away, she smiled. “Should we head back?”

The Princess of the Night smiled in return. She squared her shoulders and stood up straight once again. “Yes, I believe we should return to your humble abode.”

Twilight decided not to take that the wrong way. With that, the two made their way back to the library. All the way, Twilight would stop and wave at ponies she knew.

Today was a good day.


Not long later, Twilight and Luna had arrived at the library after their ten to fifteen minute walk. The unicorn was excited to see her marefriend again, and hopefully get some time alone with her. With any luck, Pinkie would be back to her cheery optimistic self.

Though, from the looks of it, that wouldn’t be the case.

Princess Celestia was sitting next to Pinkie, and seemed to be in the middle of saying something when the two had walked in.

Pinkie was staring down at the table in front of her. The earth pony’s shoulders were hunched and her eyes were empty.

Her mane was still as poofy as ever, though.

Twilight didn’t get the chance to investigate further. As soon as she’d walked in, Pinkie stood up, grabbed the basket of sandwiches, and trotted over to the kitchen. The unicorn looked at her teacher questioningly.

Princess Celestia had gotten up as well. “I think it’s time for us to be on our way. Thank you for having us, Twilight.”

“You’re welcome, Princess. Feel free to visit anytime!” Twilight replied, though her eyes were on her marefriend. Her behavior all day had been strange, so the unicorn wasn’t sure what to think of this new development.

Then, the two Princesses made their way outside and to the carriage hidden behind the library. Luna was frowning. “…Sister, did we do the right thing?”

Celestia stretched her wing out and rested it on her younger sister’s back. “It was your decision, Luna. I cannot tell you how to handle your authority.”

“I know, I know… It’s just that I haven’t handled problems such as these in so long. Despite it clearly being in my night’s jurisdiction, what are your thoughts?”

The older alicorn stepped into the carriage first and settled herself on the seat. “You must learn to rule without my opinion swaying your decisions, sister. The ponies of Equestria are our subjects, and I will not allow you to feel mistreated by them again. However you wish to solve the problems under your starry night will be your decision, and your decision alone. That’s the only way for you to gain the attention you seek and to become a benevolent ruler of your kingdom. Do you understand?”

Luna sighed as she clambered onto the carriage after her sister. “Yes, of course I understand. It’s just that I still feel you’re doing all the work, and I don’t know if it was really the right thing to do!”

“One step at a time, dear sister. With time, you will no longer need my help.” Celestia smiled encouragingly, which was reciprocated.

“I hope you’re right.” Luna looked out the window as the carriage took off, watching the Ponyville library shrink into the distance until it was no more.

Author's Note:

So, I vaguely remember at some point saying this story was going to be light-hearted... Well, I changed my mind. Conflict adds to a story, and while there was some previously, I think this is better than what I had planned.

However, this chapter was a chore to write. I couldn't get any words onto the document, and it seems terribly rushed to me. I tried my best though, and I hope it isn't too bad. As always, let me know what you think will happen! :)