• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 6,591 Views, 330 Comments

Trixie's New Life in the Crystal Empire - Yukito



Trixie, having nowhere in Equestria to go, leaves the Country behind in search of a new land to call her home... or her final resting place.

  • ...
9
 330
 6,591

A New Home

I open my eyes to the sounds of ponies laughing and playing outside. My lips are bone dry, and my stomach is rumbling. I haven’t eaten in so long. I need to go outside and find some food, fast. Of course, I can’t buy anything, since I have no money, so I must resort to sneaking around and stealing from the nearby farms. They have plenty of food, I’m sure they can do without one or two… or maybe five oranges.

So this is it. I’m leaving my cave for the first time in three days. Maybe since I locked myself away, ponies have forgotten all about me? I can start anew, and maybe earn some bits from my shows?

Not a chance. I leave the small cave that has been my home this past month. Winter will be ending soon, and I can move on to another town just as soon as the snow clears. Oh, look. Somepony left a half-eaten pear on the floor. Free food. I quickly run over to it and start gobbling it up, not even bothering to check how dirty it was. It tastes foul, and I’m sure I look pitiful… but it will keep me alive a bit longer.

I make my way towards the town in the distance. As always, everypony looks at me as I enter. Even if I’m lucky, and they don’t recognise me, my dirt-covered coat, my scruffy, blood-coated mane, and the putrid smell of not having washed for weeks coming from my body is enough to gain the attention of anypony I pass by.

I hear giggling to my left, and immediately turn around to confirm what I already knew: ponies are laughing at me. Two little fillies are laughing at me, and calling me names. The mares that I assume to be their parents or guardians are doing nothing to stop them. In fact, they join in.

“Didn’t we tell you to get out of here?”

“Weak and Helpless Trixie!”

“You’re not welcome here!”

“Weak and Helpless Trixie!”

“Hey!” I turn around to the new voice behind me, and see a rainbow-maned, blue Pegasus floating in the air. “I thought I told you to scram! If you’re here for your trailer, we already turned it to firewood!”

They what? But… all of my possessions were in that trailer… A purple cloth that used to be part of my cape, a glass bottle that I could use to hold some water, and a flask that had just a little bit of gin inside of it. I could really go for a drink right now…

“Too bad!” the Pegasus shouted. “You can just go back to that cave and rot there! We don’t want you stinking up our town!”

The ponies around agree with her, and begin to cheer when the Pegasus picks me up and starts to drag me out of the town. I would resist, but I’m far too weak right now. I can barely even move my legs enough to walk, let alone to fight. Hence, I submit to my fate of being thrown onto my rump outside of their town.

Before the mob can get any more aggressive, I think I should just leave. No food today, I guess. Maybe tonight, when everypony’s asleep… Wait, who’s that? Who’s standing at the entrance of my cave, staring at me with a warm smile on their face?

Their face is overcast by a shadow, so I can’t make out any features. Whoever that pony is, I’m sure their intentions are hostile. Great, so now I can’t even isolate myself inside that cave anymore. Whatever, I’ll just go find a nice ditch somewhere and-

The pony begins to move towards me, causing me to panic. I have to run. I have to get away from here, fast! I do just that. I turn tail, and move my legs as fast as I can… I get barely two steps away before I trip over myself. I’m so pathetic right now.

“Are you okay?”

Do I look okay? Just get it over with already. Taunt me, humiliate me, do whatever it is that gives you your kicks at my expense! I’ll just add you to the list… As soon as I have power again, I will have my revenge against you! Whoever you are!

“It’s okay. I’ll make the pain go away.”

… What? Did I just hear that right? Who is this pony, anyway? I turn around to get a better view, but all I see in front of me is a cloud of purple. There is some white in there, and then some more purple within the white. Is that the pony’s face? Why is it so close to mine?

“You have a fever. Poor thing. You should have come to me sooner. I’ll be happy to help.”

Who are you? Wait, that voice sounds familiar…

“Trixie.”

It couldn’t be! The purple moves back a bit, and I can get a better view of the pony before me now… This pony… I know her. But from where?

“Trixie.”

Oh, that’s right. It’s that pony. That one pony that changed my whole life. That one pony that turned my whole world upside-down… and then dared to show me kindness. That one pony who destroyed any hopes I had of finding a place to call ‘home’, and yet is still the only pony who may have given me a chance, had I let her…

“Trixie! C’mon, rise an’ shine!”


I open my eyes to the sounds of birds chirping and ponies laughing outside. Before me is the face of the pony I am now living with: Appletini.

“About time! You’re a heavy sleep, y’know? Though it looked like you were having a pretty nasty dream.”

“… It was just a dream.” That’s the same thing I always say, whenever I wake up in the morning. It was all just a dream. All just a terrible nightmare, and it’s over now. There’s no need to be afraid any longer… For a while, it helped, but over time, it became more of a habit than anything else.

“Sorry I couldn’t help any,” Appletini says. Why would she be sorry? How could she help? “Anyway, I got a bath all ready for ya. Why don’t you go wash up, an’ I’ll make us some breakfast.”

I simply nod my head, and climb out of bed. I blush upon remembering that I had been sharing this bed with Appletini last night. And it didn’t even help any, either. I’m so pathetic…

“What’s all that noise outside?” I’ve got to get my mind somewhere else.

“Oh, just the usual parade of kids flocking to school. What d’you wanna eat? I got some more pancakes, if ya like, or I’ve got some Crystal Rice Krispies. Uh, that’s a cereal brand, just FYI.”

“Either would be fine. Frankly, I’d be willing to eat just about anything right now…”

“Alright! Then you go enjoy your bath, and I’ll have your breakfast ready when you’re done.”

I nod, and make my way past Appletini and leave the room. I really do smell bad. I hadn’t really paid it much notice… my thoughts were mostly focused on living. A nice hot bath sounds like heaven right now, and knowing that breakfast will be waiting for me when I finish? I wonder if this is how most ponies feel when they win the lottery?

I enter the bathroom and close the door. There it is. The tub has been filled with water, and is just sitting there, waiting for me to enter it and clean off the months worth of filth that has clung to my coat. Appletini really does care for me, doesn’t she?

Aaaah, the water feels great. And the scented candles really help take away the stress that’s worked itself up inside my mind… Wait, why are there scented candles here, anyway? Did Appletini light them up for me? Was she really that concerned? Wow… not only a pony that cares, but one that cares so deeply… I’m starting to think that, maybe all of the world’s kindness was placed solely into her. Well, not really, but it is nice of her to do all of this for me. I must really pay her back for all of this… As soon as I am able to, of course.

“Trixie? Are you alright in there?” Oh no. I completely spaced out. The water just feels so great, and the aroma of the scented candles… When did they melt so much?! “You’ve been in there for twenty minutes! Are you okay?!”

“I-I’m fine!” Okay, so this is embarrassing. I imagine my face is red from more than the heat of the bathwater right now. “I’m almost finished. I’ll be out soon.”

“Okay! I just thought you should know that Azure’s downstairs, and that he wants to talk to you!”

Azure? The other pony that helped me? What does he want? Hopefully he’s just dropping by to say ‘hi’… Anyway, I should clean myself up real quick, and then get out of here. I levitate one of the nearby shampoo bottles over to me. Good. My magic seems to be working again, and my fever seems to be gone, now that I think about it.

I quickly wash myself with the strawberry-scented shampoo. It smells rather pleasant, but then, I imagine that anything would smell pleasant compared to smelling like a garbage dump.

Okay, that should be good enough. I return the shampoo bottle to where I had found it, and pull the plug in the bath. Next, I need to dry myself off. Let’s see… is there a towel anywhere? Ah! I find one resting on a radiator, and pick it up with my magic. I begin to dry myself thoroughly with it. I don’t want to drip water all over the house, after all. If Appletini gets mad at me and kicks me out… Well, let’s not go there. I’ll just have to make sure that that doesn’t happen.

I’m now sufficiently dry, and start to make my way downstairs through the house. “Over here, Trixie.” I turn my head to my right as I set my hoof down at the bottom of the stairs, and I see Appletini in what I assume to be the kitchen, waving over to me. Next to her, is the stallion I recognise as Azure Eminence.

“You’re looking better.” He smiles at me as he says that. It’s the same kind of smile that I receive from Appletini. A genuine smile. One that shows that he cares for me, and that shows he is concerned for me, but doesn’t want me to worry over it. A kind smile. “As I have just told Appletini here, the Royal Guard has eased out of the 47th district, and are now searching neighbouring districts. If you’re going to flee, now’s your chance.”

Flee? Is that… Does he want me to go?

“Don’t worry, Trixie,” Appletini says. I look at her to see her placing two bowls of cereal down onto the kitchen table. She motions for me to join her. An offer that I accept. “You can stay for as long you want. If you need some time to work out what you’re going to do, then by all means, stay here while you think.”

“Though it’ll be risky,” Azure says. “If you don’t want the Royal Guard to catch you, you’ll have to hide your identity from them. Luckily, I’ve managed to convince the district that you’re just an ordinary Crystal Pony, who was merely putting on a show for the Crystal Fair. I told them that you passing out was because you were sick. Incidentally, a lot of them are hoping you get well soon.”

“I see… Thank you.” So I’m safe, for now… Just as long as-

“You’ll need to hide your horn, though, for this ruse to work.” Yeah, I figured as much. Well, that shouldn’t really be much of a problem, really. I just need my ha-Wait, where is my hat? And my cape, too, for that matter.

“Is something wrong?”

“Appletini… where are my clothes? The ones that I was wearing when I first got here.”

“Oh, that. I asked a friend of mine, Stitch N. Sew, ta fix ‘em for ya.” I breathe a sigh of relief. My hat and cape are okay… That’s good. Those two pieces of clothing have saved my neck a few times before. During the winter, whenever I struggled to get a fire going, they would keep me warm long enough to finally light one up. Without them, I would be dead right now.

“So in other words, if you’re going to leave the house, make sure you cover your horn up. And try not to use magic in public. Not unless you can do something about the lack of glowing coming from your hooves.”

Well, that won’t be a problem, either. A simple spell will allow me to project a magical aura around my hooves, similar to the ones I’ve seen from ponies in the Crystal Empire so far. Of course, that will make my magic a bit more draining… I may need to practice a little bit, first.

“Trixie, aren’t you going to eat?” Appletini’s question reminds me that I have a bowl of cereal in front of me, and that my stomach is still rumbling from my hunger. With a blush, I pick up my spoon with my magic, and begin to dig in.

“And finally, even though the guards didn’t know your name, it might not be a bad idea to use an alias for now. Just in case, y’know?”

I swallow the spoonful of cereal in my mouth, and give a nod. “Right… I guess I don’t really have much of a choice, do I?”

Azure extends his hoof forward. What? Oh, he wants me to shake it… Well, it’s certainly been a while, but I’m sure that, if Appletini says he’s okay, I can put some faith into him.

“Then, see ya later, girls!”

“Aren’t ya gonna stay and have some tea?” Appletini asks as Azure gets up. Personally, I would prefer for him to leave… Even if he is okay, I’d still prefer not to be around so many ponies right now. Not until I’ve regained enough strength to defend myself from any sudden attacks. You never know when a pony will reveal its true colours, after all.

“Sorry, Appletini, but I’ve got a lot of work stacked up in my office. And I’m being pressured by the other districts to work faster. Amber and Violet are personally coming over today, in fact, to make sure I’m not just slacking off in my office!”

The two ponies share a quick laugh together, and Appletini offers to show Azure out. I don’t really mind… Well, except, I do. I don’t like being left all alone like this… I don’t like being around ponies when I’m weak and can’t defend myself, but I don’t like just being left behind and completely forgotten about, either.

This is stupid. She’s not leaving me, she’s just showing a friend of hers out! Have I really become so paranoid during my time alone? Honestly, it’s like I’m a filly again.

But this cereal is good, at least. It helps me to relax as I eat it. She’ll be back soon. I’ll just enjoy this breakfast until then.

BZZZZZZZZZ!

KYA! T-There’s a wasp buzzing around in here! If there’s one thing I hate more than Equestria, it’s these nasty little things! I’ve hated them ever since my first sting, back when I was four years old! A-ha! I see you, you pesky little-

Hey! You’re not getting away! Let’s see, what can I use?… Magic in such a confined space would be bad, but I can’t see anything around that I can swat it with…

OH SWEET-It’s right in front of me! Screw rational thinking – fire the horn laser!

CRASH!

… Well, I got the wasp alright. But that’s not all I got. Damnit, why did I have to panic like that?! Appletini’s gonna kick me out for sure over this! Just when I had found somepony who I could trust. Somepony who accepted me, offered me the chance to be myself, and genuinely concerned themselves with my wellbeing…

“Trixie? Is everything okay?”

Oh no! She’s coming! She’s going to see what I did, and then she’s going to get mad, and kick me out of her house, and tell everypony that I’m a fugitive from Equestria, and then I’ll forced into exile in the frozen wastelands outside of the Crystal Empire!

Okay, breath, Trixie, breath. She’s on her way… but there’s still time! I can fix this! Well, not fix fix. I don’t know the first thing about repairing pottery, or whatever this vase was that I broke. It sure looked expensive, whatever it was. But I can certainly hide the problem! Just got to gather up all of the fragments, find somewhere to hide them… the closet should do for now, and then I can find somepony to fix it later. There has to be somepony in the ‘Crystal Empire’ who can fix it, right?

“Trixie?”

“YES?!” Okay, even without the look on her face, I can tell that I must look pretty suspicious right now, back pressed against a closed closet door and all. I’ll try again. “Yes?”

“… What was that sound? Are you alright?”

“I-I’m fine! I just… tripped, that’s all!”

“You tripped? You didn’t hurt yourself, did you?”

There it is again! That look of concern, of genuine worry towards my health! I can’t lose that, I just can’t! I’d better steer her away from this closet, just to be on the safe side.

“Well… No, I’m fine. Hey, could you tell me some more stuff about the Crystal Empire? There’s still so much I’d like to know about it.”

She smiles at me. Good. The crisis seems to have been averted. She leads me away, back towards the kitchen table, and we resume eating our breakfasts as she answers any and all questions that I have about the Crystal Empire.

So I’ve managed to secure my place of safety within her house, and I get to hear more about this wondrous new land. Two birds with one stone, as they say. Now I just have to wait for my hat to be repaired, and I can leave the house and find somepony to repair that vase, before Appletini finds out, and all will be good once more!