• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 6,602 Views, 330 Comments

Trixie's New Life in the Crystal Empire - Yukito



Trixie, having nowhere in Equestria to go, leaves the Country behind in search of a new land to call her home... or her final resting place.

  • ...
9
 330
 6,602

A New Life

Beep beep! Beep beep!

Hm? I open my eyes, and take around myself. That’s funny… Wasn’t I just in the Crystal Palace, surrounded by all of my friends, being crowned a Princess by Cadenza?

Beep beep! Beep beep!

The food was delicious, the wine was rich in flavour, and the turnout was great.

Beep beep! Beep beep!

I no longer have my wings? And my horn… is the same as it was before I became a Princess. What’s going on?

Beep beep! Beep beep!

And what is that incessant beeping? I turn my head to find out… Oh. It’s my alarm clock… Oh.

Oooooh. It was a dream. Well, that’s depressing.

Beep beep! Beep beep!

Shut it, already.

Bee-

There, much better. Seriously, why did I even bother setting that thing? Today’s a Saturday, but I decided to have the day off today. I don’t have a performance later, so I can’t see why I would need to get up early.

… Unless I had something else planned. Did I have something else planned? Let’s see… Appletini? Something to do with Appletini and Azure? And Astral and Stitch and Mist…


“AH!” That’s it! I just remembered! The six of us are supposed to be meeting up at the park this morning for a picnic! Darn it! I’d better get ready! Let’s see… my cape is just thrown across the floor, and my hat is lying on its side on my nearby desk… Awww, my lava lamp must have fallen over at some point. Now it’s broken, and I’ve gotta buy a new one. That’s just lame.

Anyway, I’ve got my magical attire on, and I’ve got the tin of crystal chocolate chip cookies that I baked last night. Excellent! Park, here I come!

I quickly brush my teeth at my sink, and then make my way out of my trailer. I lock the door, and make my way towards the park.

“Good morning, Will-o-Wisp.”

“Good morning.” Some ponies still call me by that name… Well, guess I can’t really fault them for it. After all, there are ponies here whose names I can’t remember at all. At least they know me by some name.

“Good morning, Wi- Trixie!”

“Morning, Starlight, Sweet Heart.”

The weather team’s doing a good job today. Looks like we’ll have clear skies all day. Yay.

“Hey, Trixie!” Appletini calls out to me as I approach her in the park. She’s already laid out the blanket for everypony, but it seems that we are the first two here. “Good morning. You sleep well?”

“Well enough. That trailer is pretty snug, and plenty warm.”

“That’s good. Sorry we couldn’t make it any bigger, but-”

I shake my head. “It’s fine, Tini. Really.”

“So, what district you planning on visiting first?”

“Whatever you do,” a voice behind me says, “Steer clear of the 13th District. That’s Crimson’s district.”

I turn around, and find Azure approaching us, carrying a white box on his back. “I thought I could safely approach Crimson now.”

“You can.” Azure places the box down, and opens it up to reveal several canned drinks surrounded by ice. “Want one?” He offers me a drink, and I accept it. “Legally, there’s not a thing he can do, now that you’re a citizen here. Still, he’s not overly fond of Equestrians, and I don’t really want him chewing my ear out about it.”

“Well, can’t really fault him there.” I open the can of crystal orangeade, and take a sip. “But then, I’m no longer an Equestrian, now am I?”

“Now now, Trixie,” Appletini says, reaching over and taking a drink for herself, “If it wasn’t for Equestria, we wouldn’t be sitting here right now, or even know each other, for that matter.”

“… Tch. Whose side are you on?”

“Just laying all the facts down. In any case, don’t worry about Crimson. I’m sure he’ll warm up to you.”

“Right. Just, not any time soon.”

“Hey! You guys started without us!” I look to my side to find Astral running towards us, wearing the red costume that I gave him before. “Trixie, check it out! I got a D- in my latest Math test!”

… It’s amazing how he can say that with such a cheery face. “You realise that that’s less than what you got last time, right?”

His smile doesn’t falter. “Well, there was nothing on the line this time! And a D- is still a pass!”

“Meanwhile, I got a C+,” Mist says. Suddenly, Astral’s smile turns to a frown. So Mist is the only thing that can upset this kid, huh? “Looks like Trixie’s ‘number one pupil’, still has a long way to go, before she can compete against the Amazing Mist Veil.”

“And? How is your magic coming along?”

“… I’m thirsty.” She completely dodges my question, and reaches over towards the icebox. Honestly, this filly… I’d love to teach her some magic, really I would, but she’s just so stubborn. She won’t train under me as long as Astral is also my pupil.

Instead, she just watches from a distance, thinking that her illusions are keeping her hidden. From Astral, maybe, but definitely not from me.

Stitch is also here, now, meaning that the whole group is together. “Good morning, everypony. A fine day today, isn’t it?”

Appletini nods. “How’s work going?”

“Pretty well, actually. The quarantine around the Empire will be lifting soon, so I’m preparing many ‘exotic’ costumes for the swarms of Equestrians that are sure to flood into the Empire.”

I shudder at the thought of such a thing. I’m really not looking forward to this happening at all, but it’s not like I can do anything about it. “Well, don’t milk them of all their bits, or else they won’t be able to leave.”

Azure and Stitch both laugh. I’m being quite serious, here. “I’ll keep that in mind. And how about you, Appletini? I hear the Princess was quite pleased with your cooking, and had offered you a position in the Royal Kitchen.”

She did? “Ah, yeah, but… That would require me moving to the Palace, and… I don’t wanna do that. If it means not being able to hang out with you guys as often, it’s not worth it.”

“I see. And you, Trixie? You’re going to be leaving this district soon, aren’t you?”

“Only for two days,” I tell him. “I want to visit more of the Empire, now that the Royal Guard isn’t after me. I’m going to check out the neighbouring districts, and maybe put on a show or two.”

“Any chance of some souvenirs?” Astral asks.

I laugh and shake my head. “Sorry, but I’m not quite that loaded.”

“Well,” Stitch starts, “I hope you have a good time. There is much to see here in the Empire, and even more things to do.”

“Looking forward to it.” And I am. I truly am. But right now, just being here with my friends, is satisfying enough. And the thing I’m looking forward to most, isn’t touring the remaining fifty-one districts, or spreading my show to every corner of the Empire, or holding a special show during a Crystal Fair… It’s spending more days like this one. Just forgetting everything for one day, and simply hanging out, and having fun with all of my friends.

I’m sure they’ll come soon, but I just can’t wait for them. And when they get here, I don’t ever want them to end. But I know that they will, and that’s why, I’m going to make the most out of all of them.

Comments ( 56 )

This was a really good story. Trixie is played as her usual self, but she slowly discards most of her negative traits for positive ones. She's a character we can sympathize with and root for in her struggle to find peace in her life. The Crystal Empire is very well explored here and I definitely can see the districts and society that you developed in this story. While there isn't much in terms of politics, what little there is makes a good impact.

It's nice to see that she's finally found a place where she can be herself and yet has also learned a few lessons along the way. I hope to see more if this continues as story, cause I feel there are some unfinished plots that could be further explored.

To this I give you and Intercontinental Championship:

cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/889/509/5davemillicanbelts.com_display_image.jpg?1357662652

Hope to see more

Aaaaw, it's over. But I really hope there will be a sequel, going more into her new life and how she fares in the other districts, maybe have them encounter some equestrian tourists.

Very nice note to end on.:twilightsmile: Though I would be lying if I didn't say there seemed to be doors unopened and questions unanswered, but life doesn't work like that. Really enjoyed reading this story and just loved how the crystal ponies were depicted.

You please us.
But you must continue if you wish to live
We ask only for a sequel that lives up to this
Thanks
Recovery15

Excellent story. Certainly leaves room to explore the Empire further down the road if you wish it.

The only bad thing about this story that I can think of is that it's over. Other than that, awesome job :pinkiehappy:

I am happy that trixie is happy, will you be doing a short sequal in the future where astral and mist finally get together?

2301936 I know right if any of the fics deserve sequel it would be this one.

Very good story, and an interesting take on the issue of illegal immigration.

Awww...this is the end?No epilogue or anything?

Oh well. It was a great ride. I'm hoping for a sequel sometime soon. Trixie in the Empire has much potential. I know I probably say that for every fic I read, but I hate to see them end. :fluttercry:

THAT STORY KICKED BUTT!

2310465

Aah, not as unrealistic as you might think. Since I essentially did the same thing throughout Highschool :raritywink:

I was a victim of major bullying in my second year, and near the end of it, just wanted nothing to do with anything or anyone. I transferred to a different school, and throughout the next year, made a massive improvement, to the point where I even wanted to be involved in group activities. So yes, it does happen, though maybe not as quickly as it happened here...

Breaks my heart that this is over.

A good ending to this story. :) Not much else I can say, except well-done.

A great ending for a great fic. The two (or three) fillies seemed kinda unecessary but I do like that they were added. The ending seemed a tad quick but nice and consice.

Nice story all in all, would have preferred some kind resolution with the mane six but whatever.

Nice work.

2356399

I agree wholeheartedly with that idea. Hell he could probably work out a good sized one shot outta the idea.

I'm happy that there wasn't a climax involving Twilight and company, because I feel it would have cheapened the whole "Trixie's friend's stand by her side despite the prick Prince and Royal Guard pressuring them" ending. It was nice to see Trixie tell off her old nemeses. I like that Trixie fills out a citizenship test the way I fill out job application questionnaire.

Good ending to a great fic.

Bravo. Amazing story. I can only hope for a sequel at this point.

Being perfectly honest, it was a bit too over the top with the royalty. Shining Armor would likely have had no idea who she even was. For him to be so aggressive to her is odd.

Pursuing a minor nuisance like Trixie to such a degree is quite silly. And I still want to know why that shop owner wasn't investigated for possession of an illegal and dangerous magical object! :raritywink:

The story would have been better with the incessant hunting of Trixie toned down quite a bit. Better to have had all the 'persecution' be primarily in Trixie's head.

2301922
2316313
I agree with the above.

Its nice to see Trixie win for once, and not because Twilight was involved (no doubt trying to impress the Princess).
Or have her written as either a real bitch, or becoming someone's bitch. :trixieshiftleft:

Not to mention finally have someone stick up for her, against the Mane6 pulling the crap they did in Ponyville. And actually appreciate her for who she is.

I also think how she ended up with her own 'faithful student', and having them mirror Trixie and Twilight, in attitude at least, was clever.

2356399
I would have loved to see Trixie give them hell! Maybe not hurt them, but make sure they know not to screw with her any more.

2409127
Trixie with friends = unstoppable!
And she should have ripped Twilight a new one, but then I'm not so sure she'd get to stay.

I, also, lie like a bastard on job applications. :pinkiehappy:

I'd like to throw my vote in the 'needs more sequels' camp. If only for the headaches "The Amazing Mist Veil" and "The Well Meaning, if somewhat hormone driven, Astral" give her.

2544035

Being perfectly honest, it was a bit too over the top with the royalty. Shining Armor would likely have had no idea who she even was. For him to be so aggressive to her is odd.

Pursuing a minor nuisance like Trixie to such a degree is quite silly.

Well yes and no. He didn't personally *know* Trixie, but I'm sure he got an ear full from Twilight and her friends. Look how they acted when they saw her doing a show.

Even if Twilight didn't try to throw her under the bus, I'd bet Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity made her sound worse than she really was. And more to blame than she ever deserved. By the time they were done, she probably sounded like a cross between the Joker and Stalin.

And I still want to know why that shop owner wasn't investigated for possession of an illegal and dangerous magical object! :raritywink:

I know right! How'd he ever get his hooves on it anyway? And why would he sell it to anyone with some cash, rather than use it himself? I smell set up. :trixieshiftleft:

The story would have been better with the incessant hunting of Trixie toned down quite a bit. Better to have had all the 'persecution' be primarily in Trixie's head.

I actually think it could have used more hunting. Crimson was more than willing to sell her down the river for perceived safety, and possibly getting noticed. The fact that he got half the districts behind him, tells me all is not beer and skittles in the Empire.

Having some more of her mind turning on her, in regards to the ponies around her I think would have added to it. But I'd say the author made a good call. Too much and she comes off as a nutjob. Too little and it makes the reader wonder what the fuss is about.

2552808

Not to mention finally have someone stick up for her, against the Mane6 pulling the crap they did in Ponyville. And actually appreciate her for who she is.

I've seen a few fics where somepony, either a background character or an OC, or occasionaly a mane character, "accepts" Trixie and offers to help her out, but only if she changes who she is, either by: No longer speaking in third-person, no more bragging/boasting, helping them with their jobs, and/or becoming super humble and un-assertive (essentially a bigger doormat than Fluttershy).

And it makes me cringe every time I see one of these fics. Especially when they threaten her to accept their "offer". That just really gets my blood boiling. For some reason, people think that ponies making Trixie their possesion is the same as ponies being kind to her, or that Trixie needs to be an entirely different character altogether in order to be accepted (love and tolerance, yo).

But, yeah, I'm a fan of the rare "somepony offers to help Trixie out of kindness and accepts her for her and doesn't force her to do anything she doesn't want to" kind of scenario :derpytongue2:

2552998 Especially considering that, like Appletini pointed out, stage magicians are supposed to weave tall tales. She can't exactly tell an epic story about eating cereal for breakfast. Also, if they didn't like her show, they could have just left.

What I really liked about Magic Duel was, that Trixie became a good pony without changing her personality. (As far as I've seen.) So I also dislike, how in every Trixie-Redemption fic, she has to completely bow down to every single pony and is not allowed to have a single shred of pride anymore.

All in all, I would love to see more stories in which Trixie does not have to remodel her entire personality in order to get some kindness.

2553049

Also, if they didn't like her show, they could have just left.

Fun fact: you go to any video, comic, picture, animation, music piece, fic, or anything on the internet or IRL and just start spouting hateful comments, and you'll get swarmed with people telling you to shut up and leave if you don't like it :pinkiehappy:

All in all, I would love to see more stories in which Trixie does not have to remodel her entire personality in order to get some kindness.

Welp, I got plenty of those :twilightsmile:

2553151 Please direct me to some.

2553157

Well, just check out my stories and filter out the Trixie ones :twilightsmile:

For fun though, here's my first one I wrote: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/35967/trixie-returns
And my newest: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/102177/trixies-winter-wrap-up

2552998

I've seen a few fics where somepony, either a background character or an OC, or occasionaly a mane character, "accepts" Trixie and offers to help her out, but only if she changes who she is, either by: No longer speaking in third-person, no more bragging/boasting, helping them with their jobs, and/or becoming super humble and un-assertive (essentially a bigger doormat than Fluttershy).

And it makes me cringe every time I see one of these fics. Especially when they threaten her to accept their "offer". That just really gets my blood boiling.

AARG! I friggin HATE those. I like how no one ever does that to anyone else.
* "Sure Applejack, we'll try to redefine the terms of your contest with Flim & Flam and win...but only if..."
* "Ok Twilight, we'll help you with the dragon...but ONLY if ..."

I'm right there with you brother!

For some reason, people think that ponies making Trixie their possesion is the same as ponies being kind to her, or that Trixie needs to be an entirely different character altogether in order to be accepted (love and tolerance,yo).

I know what you mean, with 'help' like that, she might as well step in front of a bus.

I swear, Discord got more love and tolerance than Trixie ever did.
He got a second chance, and Fluttershy went out of her way to do it. Luna was welcomed back with open arms. But Trixie gets annoyed by hecklers, and thats a crime against all of ponydom?!?

2553151

Fun fact: you go to any video, comic, picture, animation, music piece, fic, or anything on the internet or IRL and just start spouting hateful comments, and you'll get swarmed with people telling you to shut up and leave if you don't like it :pinkiehappy:

2553049

Especially considering that, like Appletini pointed out, stage magicians are supposed to weave tall tales. She can't exactly tell an epic story about eating cereal for breakfast. Also, if they didn't like her show, they could have just left.

:pinkiehappy:
I made a big post about that one time. But some of the other comments went against her anyway. I still don't know how or why someone can't understand that when going to a show, you want to see/hear the show. Not some jackass in the back.

What I really liked about Magic Duel was, that Trixie became a good pony without changing her personality. (As far as I've seen.) So I also dislike, how in every Trixie-Redemption fic, she has to completely bow down to every single pony and is not allowed to have a single shred of pride anymore.

In the post mentioned above, I then went on to compare Trixie with the Mane 6. And how she never did anything worse than they did. (Before the alicorn ep) Then just for fun, put the crosshairs on Celestia.

I still think the fix was in, for Twilight becoming the 'faithful student'.
Shining becoming a Captain. (because making bubbles is more important than being a strategist and/or experienced leader)
And the rest becoming the Elements.
I also maintain Celestia should share at least half the blame for Nightmare Moon.

All in all, I would love to see more stories in which Trixie does not have to remodel her entire personality in order to get some kindness.

I agree with this. OR they try and treat her like something they stepped in, and she lights them up, in an epic manner. Teaching them, and all the world, not to screw with somepony with 'magic' as a special talent.

I still think she should be much more powerful than the show makes out. Her talent IS magic. I don't care if it's show magic, it's friggin magic!

2553683 One idea would be an alternate ending for Boast Busters, where Trixie stays and calls the others out for it.

Others: "You just kept bragging about how you defeated an Ursa."
Trixie: "My tales are meant to be entertaining, not true."

O: "What's with the 'Great and Powerful' business? That's so cocky."
T: "It's called advertising."

O: "You humiliated those ponies!"
T: "What else am I supposed to do with hecklers?"

But yeah, Discord was a good example. Even though their mistrust was not entirely justified the implications are chilling that they would be willing to perform the magical equivalent of a lobotomy to get him to behave. Fluttershy meanwhile went out of her way, allowing Discord his freedoms so he could learn to have fun with his powers, without hurting anypony.

2555606

What the buck was a reforming spell even doing in a public library anyway? Just there for any bozo to go and read and use on others (which is entirely possible, given that three fillies were able to whip up a love poison from just reading about it in one afternoon)

2555974 Yeah, but Mysterious Mare do well pissed me off for the same reasons. The mane six are normally good friends but in those moments they really acted out of character. In Applebuck Season, when AJ was being stubborn, Twilight tried to talk to her over and over again but in MMDW they did not even try.

2555606

One idea would be an alternate ending for Boast Busters, where Trixie stays and calls the others out for it.

Others: "You just kept bragging about how you defeated an Ursa."

Trixie: "My tales are meant to be entertaining, not true."

If they can't tell the difference between real and entertainment, someone should look into taking the kids away. They aren't smart enough to raise them. And given the fact that 2 young kids strolled into the Everfree, late at night, I have to wonder about the parenting skills in Ponyville.

Also, she should have sued them for the cost of her caravan. :trixieshiftleft:

O: "What's with the 'Great and Powerful' business? That's so cocky."

T: "It's called advertising."

I know! Rainbow Dash is forever running her mouth, and I'd bet Applejack never billed her apples as 'more or less good'. Everyone but I think Fluttershy is guilty of this.

O: "You humiliated those ponies!"

T: "What else am I supposed to do with hecklers?"

I vote for thugs kicking some flank! I hate when smartasses think they're clever.

But yeah, Discord was a good example. Even though their mistrust was not entirely justified the implications are chilling that they would be willing to perform the magical equivalent of a lobotomy to get him to behave.

Like Yukito said, "love and tolerance,yo" As long as everyone conforms, there isn't a problem. But just let someone put one little hoof over that line....

Fluttershy meanwhile went out of her way, allowing Discord his freedoms so he could learn to have fun with his powers, without hurting anypony.

She as the only one that showed any real tolerance for him, and you're right. She did go out of her way.
Fluttershy is the only one who lived up to her Element that day.

2555974

What the buck was a reforming spell even doing in a public library anyway? Just there for any bozo to go and read and use on others (which is entirely possible, given that three fillies were able to whip up a love poison from just reading about it in one afternoon)

:rainbowlaugh:

You just wait, before you know it, the CMC will have cutie marks for Zombie Apocalypse.

Someone needs to sit Twilight down and explain to her that not every book should be there. Then horsewhip her for being such a damn teachers pet. :trixieshiftleft:

Then again for starting a riot over that damn doll, and experimenting on Pinkie.

I dont care if she is the tyrants 'personal student'. If she were a scientist she'd be in a lab. Not hassling people over late fees.

2556184

Yeah, but Mysterious Mare do well pissed me off for the same reasons. The mane six are normally good friends but in those moments they really acted out of character. In Applebuck Season, when AJ was being stubborn, Twilight tried to talk to her over and over again but in MMDW they did not even try.

It's almost like they learned nothing about friendship.
"Hey Rainbow Dash is shooting her mouth off again"
"When doesn't she?"
"True, but this time we're going to drag her down, and make her feel like total shit by the time we're done."
"Yay"

Why is it ok to do that to a 'friend' but when Trixie dealt with hecklers, it was the worst possible thing?

MLP:Friendship is Magic...but consistency is hit or miss.

This is without a doubt the best Trixie story I have ever read :raritywink: It was simply fabulous, and certainly one I'll be coming back to in the future!

2605530
Glad to help as I do love your stories, this one has some words missing and incorrect spellings here and there, but they don't really distract much from how well written the story is, and I didn't pick up on many of them my first time reading through this story as I was enjoying it too much. By the third time through you just tend to notice the little details more. :pinkiehappy:

This has been sitting in my "to read" section for ages. Now I've read it, my biggest regret is that I didn't read it sooner! :pinkiehappy:

Very well done - first person fics are notoriously hard to pull off, and you've made it look easy. Well done, well done indeed!

Aw, this story ended. It was a good read and it made me feel glad during a quite hard time for me. Thank you for writing this little gem.

A bit underrated, this story is. Quite good. Disappointed at the lack of Trixie X Appletini but I can't complain otherwise.

I'm glad this story at least passingly involved the concept of citizenship and country. A unique theme to say the least. :raritywink:

This was amazing Trixie fic. It allowed her to get the good life I wanted her to get after those episodes without changing who she is. All the points made by the ponies of District 47th? They were the truth that I also believe in.

Trixie is a showmare and the way she acted is required for this bussiness. Hell, what mane 6 did is something like calling a surgeon a Psycho because he 'cuts' people.

I want to read more about Trixie the way you written her. Hell, this is basically my headcanon now, you influenced my plans for fics where she appears.

Good job. :yay:

4069672 same here.... *insert Winston Payne saying "truer words have never been spoken" because i cant find the screenshot and too lazy to play Phoenix Wright and upload it myself*:coolphoto:

and this fic reflect what i really think of the mane 6 really well so this is also my new headcannon *somewhat*:eeyup::coolphoto:

Comment posted by Superanon74 deleted Apr 1st, 2014

4164017

Those weren't real events. They were nightmares Trixie was having.

I'm so torn on this fic. It's a great fic don't ever think i'd suggest otherwise. but there are some really big problems for me.

The good and the bad combined! I love Trixie redemption fics and this was a beauty. You really captured how weak and sad she felt and how much she struggled. That said, her friends keep going on about how they're friends with her because of how pitiful and pathetic she is. It feels kinda creepy, that they keep reiterating how pathetic she is and how she clearly needs them.

Having her coat turn crystal was a very interesting idea and I loved how you used it. Your scenes often felt a bit lacking in description though and I would often find myself forgetting where the characters were and what they were doing while they talked.

You made some great characters. Crimson especially felt very solid and real and that can be hard to do in a villain. Trixie though felt a bit schizophrenic in spots. she seemed to be feeling the Tsundere character trope a bit too heavily for my preference as she seemed to almost whiplash between warming up and pulling away at times. This was only a few spots though, mostly she did feel very natural.

My biggest issue was that I found it really hard to tell when Trixie was thinking something or saying something. Since I only had the quotation marks or lack of to go off of, it was easy for me to overlook them when there were big blocks of text.

Honestly this is a really sweet and fun fic. I do think it's very rough in spots but I think the good parts shine through and prove it to be something hard worked on.:twilightsmile:

4164017
Don't you talk shit about best pony!

Love to see this continued as another slice of life fic.

5433590
She was still being an overt bitch for no real fucking reason other than "Trixie pissed me off at one point an while ago"..... not sorry here, elements of harmony are these saviors and they're also the biggest bullies ever? yeah-fucking-right.

Great story. I really wish there was a sequel to this. :pinkiehappy:

VERY GOOD FIC !!!!! VERY POLITICALLY CORRECT. QUITE ENJOYABLE!!!! The mane 6 need some lessons in manners, really. They are acting rather OOC. Like hypocrites. And what was up with shining armor? It seems that all is not loving in the crystal empire. There seem to be some dark undertones, just like in equestria. A bit of political unrest, perhaps?

Login or register to comment