• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 6,602 Views, 330 Comments

Trixie's New Life in the Crystal Empire - Yukito



Trixie, having nowhere in Equestria to go, leaves the Country behind in search of a new land to call her home... or her final resting place.

  • ...
9
 330
 6,602

Old Faces

In Equestria, one cracks an egg open by simply smacking it against the side of a bowl. In the Crystal Empire, eggs must first be submerged in water, before being gently cracked open by a table spoon or something. The reason for this is because, if you don’t, it’ll cause a mess everywhere. Compared to the consequences of mis-preparing other food items, it’s not so bad, and that’s why I’m alright with doing it right now. Though I’d better hurry up, if I want to get down to the market square in time for my show…

“Hey, how about you leave early, and let me take care of the rest?” As expected of Appletini, but no. I want her to come to my show, and see it all from the very beginning, so if that means I’ll start a little bit late… then so be it. “I really don’t mind-”

“Rather than talking, let’s just get this finished up quickly, so that we can both make it in time for the show.” Sorry, Tini, but I’m not gonna let you argue with me on this one. “Are you absolutely sure that this is what was requested of you?”

“Yeah, I found it odd too… Why would the Princess ask us to put jewels in the cake? Judging from your reaction, I’m guessing it isn’t an Equestrian thing…”

“Who knows? Maybe it’s a game? ‘Whoever finds the cake with the jewels in it wins a free vacation’, or something along those lines.” Appletini giggles at that.

“Well, in any case, I’m just honoured that the Princess asked me to bake for her… I mean, sure, she asked a number of chefs, but, y’know what I mean.”

“So what exactly is going on, anyway? Trixie may have a sharp and brilliant mind, but even Sherclop Pones wouldn’t be able to deduce anything from ‘yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!’.

“Sherclop who?” … Right, yet another reference that she would never get.

“Never mind, not important. But seriously, what’s this event all about?”

“Don’t know. The letter just said that important guests would be arriving at the castle, and that the Princess requests my services. No idea who they are, or what’s going on, but I can’t imagine it’s anything important, or else Azure would have told me. Heck, word would have spread around like wildfire already if it was important. Most likely just an official from Equestria, coming to collect a report from the Princess or something.”

An official from Equestria, huh? I don’t like the sound of that. But then, if it’s just somepony with a desk job, coming to collect and sign some documents or whatever, then it shouldn’t be too bad. The jewels still elude me, though.

“Maybe it’s a changeling,” I suggest jokingly. Appletini seems to take it seriously. “Uh… I-It was a jo-”

“The changelings are still alive?!” She asks, running up to me with eyes full of… hope?

“Uh… y-yeah…”

“No way! How do they survive without the Crystal Heart? That makes no sense!”

“Um… W-What do you mean?”

“The changelings used to live with the Crystal Ponies, before it was sealed away! Didn’t you know?” I didn’t, and I tell her as much by shaking my head. “It was a small group of about fifty or so, that wandered into the Empire on night, starving, and on the verge of death. With them, they brought a rather terrifying beast: a behemoth!

“But, the power of the Crystal Heart was able to heal the changelings, and provide them sustenance. Their Queen then defeated the behemoth, and drove it away. The King at the time then made a deal with the changelings: in exchange for the changelings lending their powers to serve the Empire, the Empire would share the Crystal Heart’s power, which seemed to be the only thing that could give them strength.

“About two hundred years before I was born, the changelings defected, and fled the Empire with the Royal Broach, a magical artefact that is said to grant the user great power, at the cost of their own soul.” … What? That sounds… familiar. “It was created by mixing the blood of the changeling Queen with the Crystal King, in an attempt to create a weapon to defend the Empire against unknown threats.

“The result was something that couldn’t be controlled, and it was locked away. When the changelings stole it and fled, we all figured that they would die out eventually, anyway, considering they need the Crystal Heart to survive… I wonder how they’re still alive?”

“Well, according to what I’ve heard, what they need isn’t the Crystal Heart, but love.”

“Love?”

That’s right. “The Crystal Heart is powered by the love of the Crystal Ponies, right? That must be how the changelings were able to use it in order to survive.”

“I see… By the way, how long are you going to be mixing that?” I stop, and look down into the mixing bowl in front of me. “Eheheh… We should probably stop yammering, and pick up the pace a bit, don’t you think?”

“… Agreed.” Well, that was certainly an interesting story. But something about it bothers me. A magical broach, that claims the wearer’s soul? Where have I heard of such a… “The Alicorn Amulet?”

“You say something?”

“Uh… no.” Nah, there’s no way.


Please don’t be too late, please don’t be too late, please don’t be- Damnit, I’m too late! Making those cakes with Appletini took a lot longer than expected. I was supposed to be here, starting up my show about thirty minutes ago, but now…

“Hey guys.” I turn to see Azure approaching the two of us, along with Astral. It seems that those two have been getting close lately. They’re almost like brothers, now that I get a good look at the two of them together. “What happened? You two didn’t fall passionately in love or something, did you?”

“Not today,” I answer. He gives me a disappointed look. I’m the one that should be frowning, here! “So, I guess I missed my show?”

“Nah.” What? I didn’t? “Luckily, Melody’s band offered to swap places with you. You’ll be on as soon as they’re finished, so how about we just chat ‘til then?”

So I’m still on. Good. “Well, I guess I should show my appreciation to Melody… Which one was Melody again?”

Azure chuckles, and points a hoof towards the stage. The pink mare with the blue mane? The one that’s singing? “That’s her. She’s the band’s vocalist, and easy on the eyes, too.” … Isn’t she seventeen? Oh Azure, sometimes I worry about you.

“Will-o-Wisp!” Oh, dropping the title now, Astral? “Check it out!” His hooves light up, and he lets out a series of groans as his cheeks poof out. I turn around to where his hooves are pointing. A few fireworks shoot out of the ground suddenly, startling some of the ponies nearby. They go pretty high up, before finally exploding. A bit too high to actually be heard. He still needs to work on the timing. Still, this is a great improvement. “What d’ya… think?”

Heh, he’s totally out of breath. Still, he did it. He learned this spell to an acceptable standard within the deadline that I set for him. And now, for his reward… “That was very well done, Astra. Now, close your eyes.” He tilts his head and looks at me questioningly. “Your teacher wishes to reward you for your hard work.”

He suddenly looks very excited, and starts to bounce up and down before me. “You do? Awesome! What is it? A new spell? Unlimited candy? Can I be in your show? Is it-”

“Astral!” I shout, and immediately, the colt stands at attention and salutes. “… Close your eyes.” This time, he nods, and does as he is told. I open my saddlebag with my magic, and levitate something from inside. A red hat and cape, in a similar style to my own, but smaller, so that they would fit their rightful owner…

“What was that?”

“Okay, you can open your eyes now.” He does so, and gasps when he realises what he is now wearing. “Congratulations, ‘Great and Powerful-In-Training’ Astral Projection!”

“Now that’s a mouthful,” Appletini comments next to me. “What’s with the ‘in training’ bit?”

I flick my mane, and point my nose into the air. “One does not simply reach this level-” I point a hoof towards myself. “-Of Great and Powerful with just one fireworks spell. However, it is a start.” I pull out a sheet of paper from my bag, and open it up to show Astral.

On the sheet is an artistic drawing of the colt. The beauty of my art is sure to drive them to tears.

“What the heck is that?” Azure asks. Well, he’s looking at it from the wrong angle, to be fair.

“Is that parasprite?” Appletini asks. Okay, seriously? How could somepony be so dense as to think that-

“I thought it was a demon from Tartarus.”

Ugh! Why does everypony have to be a critic?! My drawings are masterpieces, you just have to look at them right! “A-hem! As I was saying, this is where you currently stand right now, Astral.”

“… OH! That’s me?” I will take that hat and cape back if you don’t watch what you say, kid. “I’m next to a red cape… and there’s an orange one below me?”

I nod. Good, they can at least tell what the capes are. “That’s right. Once Will-o-Wisp, the Great and Powerful feels that you have advanced to the next level, she will reward you with the Great and Powerful-Apprentice cape! Then the yellow one once you reach Great and Powerful-Squire, and so on, until you finally achieve the final level!”

A little pause for dramatic effect.

“The fabled, purple cape, of Great and Powerfulness!” Astral regards me with awe. Naturally. “So you see, Astra, you keep working hard, and you will one day earn the right to wear the same hat and cape as your dear mentor.”

“Yes, Will-o-Wisp sir! I’ll do my best!”

“That’s the spirit! And you can start by fetching me a crystal hay smoothie, extra crystal hay!” I give the colt some bits to buy the drink with, and he takes off into the market square. I notice Azure giving me a strange look out of the corner of my eye. “What?”

“Is that really necessary? All those different levels of ‘Great and Powerful’, and different coloured capes to match?”

“… It’s not so different from how martial artists wear different coloured belts. And it feels more like we’re teacher and student like this.”

“But-”

“I think it’s a pretty neat idea,” Appletini says. I knew she’d be on my side. She’s such a good friend. “And Astra seems to like it, too, and it might help him to stay focused if he has clear goals to work towards.”

“Exactly! That’s exactly what was running through my mind when I thought this up!” Well, maybe not, but… it sounds better than ‘I was bored one afternoon, and wanted to pass the time’.

“Will-o-Wisp, I got your drink!” Wow, that was fast. “Crystal hay smoothie, extra crystal hay, just like you asked for! So, am I at the next level yet?”

I take the smoothie from him, and take a drink. Aaah, refreshing. Oh, right. He just asked me a question, didn’t he? “Oh, no. Not yet. You’ll have to do a lot more than simply fetching me a drink in order to advance to the next level, Astra.”

“Well, I’m ready for whatever you’ve got!”

Azure nudges my shoulder, and I turn around to face him. “Hey, you’re on in five minutes. You might wanna get ready.”

I look over to the band, to find that they have indeed finished, and are now packing away their set. “Very well then. You guys get ready to be thoroughly amazed.”

“Will do!”

“Roger!”

“Good luck!”


Alright, time to start. A lot of ponies have turned up to see this, as expected. Let’s just start off with a simple introduction…

“Come one, come all!” Get a fireworks spell ready… “Come and see the amazing magic…” Aaaand… GO! “… Of Will-o-Wisp, the Great and Powerful!” The curtains preventing ponies from seeing me part, and a series of fireworks shoot up as a thin layer of purple smoke forms at my hooves. The cheers of the crowd are a pleasant sound in my ears… It’s time to give them what they came here for: a Great and Powerful show!

I’ll start off with a classic ‘pulling things out of a hat’ trick. Only what I pull out won’t be a simple rabbit. No, I intend to pull out… First, I show the audience that there is nothing in the hat. And then… “Oh my, it is often the case that ponies take Will-o-Wisp’s hat by mistake… but not the other way around!” I pull out an illusionary image of Shining Armour from my top hat. I give him a baffled look, as if he has no idea where he is, or how he got here. The ponies cheer and laugh. “Well, now we know what the Prince likes to do in his spare time!”

I stuff the image back in there. Now to pull out something solid. Something like… “And what do we have here?” I use my magic to teleport a bouquet of flowers from backstage, and then pull them out of the hat. “Now, who shall be the first lucky pony to receive a souvenir today?” I already know who, actually. He’s there, near the front. The colt from yesterday.

Inside the bouquet is a note. A simple note, that basically tells the colt I am flattered, but am not looking for a relationship right now, and that I hope he’ll continue to cheer me on and support me in the future. Appletini helped me to write it, and suggested I give it to him during the show today… The actual writing is a bit too cheesy for my tastes, but I’ll trust her judgment.

I close my eyes, as if I’m throwing blindly, and remove the aura from my hooves. I throw the bouquet, and then focus my magic on it, to make sure that it lands in the hooves of that colt. Because of my hat, and the fact that the audience doesn’t know I’m a Unicorn, it looks like the bouquet just happened to find its way to him. Of course, to pull this off, I need to cast an extra illusion to mask the aura around the flowers. He’d better appreciate the hard work I put into this…

“Now, how about we kick this thing into overdrive?!” I’m met with even more cheers as roaring flames begin to shoot out around me, and a few concerned gasps. It seems that some ponies still aren’t aware of my amazingness… I’ll fix that. With a bright flash from my body to temporarily blind everypony, I put out the flames, and cast a spell to prepare my next trick. “Fillies and gentlecolts, the trick you are about to see is dangerous! Please, for your own safety, and for the safety of those around you, do not attempt this at home!”

The light dissipates, and this time, the entire crowd gasps, as they see me juggling a variety of dangerous objects with my magic: a sword, a one tonne weight, a crystal that explodes if dropped on the floor, a bottle of bees, and Appletini, who does not seem happy with suddenly being teleported onto the stage. Hey, she did say she would help me onstage for this show. It’s not my fault she never asked what she’d be doing.


So far, so good. The show has been a great hit, and with the first portion of showing off my magic and performing tricks to wow everypony over, it’s time to move onto the second portion: telling a tale to my captive audience. Only this time, rather than simply tell it, with pictures to back it up, I’m going to try something new…

“And now, for what I’m sure most of you have been waiting for, it’s-”

“WILL-O-WISP’S GRAND ADVENTURES!”

Oh? Looks like the foals at the front have been really looking forward to this. Last time, I told the story of how I, Will-o-Wisp, stumbled upon a lost tribe of Aztecan Ponies, who tried to use me as their sacrifice. It was kind of hard, since the Aztecan period was long after the Empire had been sealed away… I kind of had to warp the timeline a bit, and tell them that the Aztecans really existed before the Crystal Empire. The foals had no problem believing it, but to be honest, I’m not too sure about some of the others in the crowd. Regardless, they still seemed to like the story that I told them, and that was all I needed to continue with this little segment in my shows.

“Now, today, Will-o-Wisp has planned to-” My horn lights up, in preparation for my next act…

“Trixie?!”

… Did I just hear that right? Somepony just called me… Trixie? It was a mare’s voice? Appletini? No… She looks just as confused as I do. Then, who-

“What are you doing here?!”

Oh no. I recognise that voice. But… how? Why?! What are they doing here?! “Uh…” W-What should I say? The show has to go on, but if they’re here, then-

“And you’re still doing this same old show? Give it a break already!” No! She’s going to ruin everything! That stupid, blue Pegasus pony, attracting everypony’s attention with her wings and colourful mane… “You’re a fraud! A liar! And everypony knows it!”

SHUT UP! Just shut up already! Why are you even here? Is it that important to you that I don’t succeed that you would track me down to even here?!

“That’s right!” the orange one below her shouts out. “Don’t believe a word she says! She said she could burst an ursa major, but was powerless ‘gainst even a minor!”

STOP IT!

“Then she had the nerve to come into our town and just take over the place!”

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADYYYYYYYY!

O-Oh no… I just… I just fired a huge blast of magic at them, didn’t I? It doesn’t look like anypony was seriously hurt, but-

“Ow! What the hell?! You trying ta kill somepony?!”

“I… I just…” It’s over… It’s all over… These six ponies, and that baby dragon that tags along with them, are all here, and they’re going to ruin me. They’re going to reveal everything to these ponies. And then I’ll… A-Appletini, help me. Please. I don’t want to leave. Azure? Stitch? Somepony… please help…

“Hey, do you mind?” W-Who? “We’re trying to watch a show here.” That stallion… I don’t recognise him.

“Yeah! I’ve had hard day fixin’ the weather up, and I’ve been looking forward to this!” Jack? He’s… defending me?

“You say she took over your town? I find that hard to believe.” Mist! “After all, she’s a Crystal Pony. When would she have had the chance to-” W-Why is she staring at me like that? And everypony else, too.

“Trixie! Your hat!” Appletini? What do you mean? What about my- MY HAT! Oh no, it must have come off when I attacked that Pegasus with my magic!

“So that’s your newest lie? Lemme guess, she’s been boasting about her ‘greatness’ an’ all that, claiming she’s defeated all kinds of monsters of something, right?” Does this pony never shut up?! “It’s all a lie! She’s just doing it to inflate her own ego, and con you all out of your bits!”

“… Are you quite done?” Stitch? I thought he said he would be busy today. “Ms., do you honestly think we didn’t realise that already? That her stories are… at the very least, exaggerated?”

“They’re entertaining, though,” Appletini says, approaching the group of Equestrians. “As is the rest of her show. And we like that. We like to just enjoy a nice show every now and then, and lose ourselves to the fantasy of it all, after we work hard each and every day.”

“Illusionists aren’t meant to be ‘real’ real.” W-Well said, Mystic. “What, are you honestly telling me you can’t separate fantasy from reality? That you just take everything you see and hear seriously? How boring your lives must be.” … Wow, that filly’s something else.

“Besides,” Appletini continues, “How exactly is she conning us out of our bits? Any money she’s received so far was in the form of tips from her audience. She has yet to ask for a single bit from anypony for her shows.”

T-This is unreal. It’s not just my friends… The entire audience… seems to be gathering around, to tell these hecklers to be quiet. To let them just enjoy the show, and to sto- … To ‘stop bothering their friend’.

“Alright, alright,” Azure says, clearing a way towards the bewildered-looking group. “I take it you’re the ‘special visitors’? You were supposed to go through the 8th District, not the 47th.”

“The ‘8th District’? We weren’t told about anything like that, we were just asked to-”

“Well, in any case, perhaps you should be on your way now? Unless you’re willing to stop causing a disturbance.”

“Disturbance?! She’s the one who-”

“R-Rainbow Dash, maybe we should just… be on our way?”

“But-”

“I agree with Fluttershy, darling. We shouldn’t keep the Princess waiting.”

Rainbow Dash gives me one final glare, and then turns around and begins to walk down the street with her friends. All except for that one… Twilight Sparkle.

“Trixie, what’s-”

“Shut up.” I’ve had it. I’ve had enough! “Don’t say a damn thing! Why do you always do this to me? Whenever our paths cross, I lose something precious to me! My home, my happiness, my entire life! Why?! Is it that important to you that I suffer? Is that what your Cutie Mark represents, Twilight Sparkle?!”

“Trixie, I never-”

“I SAID SHUT UP! I don’t want to hear it! Do me a favour, and never show yourself before me EVER AGAIN!”

I use a smoke bomb to mask my escape. That’s it. It’s all over now. What little happiness I managed to live… It’s all gone. I should be happy that I was able to enjoy my new life while I could, but… but I don’t want it to end. I didn’t want it to end, but I guess it can’t really be helped.

“Trixie, wait!” Shut up… Just, shut up, will you? Maybe I should go try my luck in the desert. If I stop by Appletini’s home, I can leave my money behind and take some water. But then, where exactly will I go? “I said wait!”

Somepony grabs my hoof from behind, stopping me in my tracks. “Wha?”

“Where are you going?!” Appletini?

“… Where do you think?” I try to pull my hoof from her grasp, but her grip is tight. “I can’t stay here anymore. Everypony knows what I really am now… What I did in my past…”

“… Perhaps you’d like to talk about it, Trixie?” Talk about it? Why? What good will that do? I’d rather not relive those two tragic events, thank you very much. “If you’re sure you have to leave, I’d at least like to know why. As your friend. Otherwise, I can’t in good conscience let you go.”

… I guess… I guess I can tell her, as a parting gift. Once she learns the truth, she’ll no longer want to be my friend. Then, I’ll be free to do… whatever. It doesn’t matter what I do, those ponies will surely ruin everything again.


“So that’s it?! You couldn’t defeat a colossal monster, and you’re suddenly an outcast throughout the whole Country?!”

“That seems rather harsh, if you ask me.” Well nopony asked you, Azure. “And then, in your rage, you used that ‘Alicorn Amulet’ to try and take your revenge… and it drove you bonkers, essentially.”

I nod my head. “That’s right. That’s everything you need to know, now if you’ll just let me go, I’ll-” Appletini suddenly pulls me towards herself, and hugs me… I’ve given up trying to understand her. She just makes no sense.

“You know, all that story did was confirm what I already knew about you: that you’re such a dolt with social situations, and you have no idea how to ask others for help!”

Well nopony ever taught me that stuff. How am I supposed to know? “Like I said, just let me go, and I’ll-”

That’s why, there’s no way we can just let you go! Not on your own, where you have nowhere else to go! What kind of ponies would do that to their friends?”

I look up at Azure, who simply nods. “Everypony makes mistakes, you dork. Doesn’t mean we’ll suddenly abandon you. On the contrary; part of being friends is always being there for each other, even when such mistakes are made.”

“Don’t you see? You need us, Trixie, to keep you from making such mistakes in the future. To show you the right path, when things look their bleakest. And in return… you just be yourself, and greet us every day with a big smile.” As if to demonstrate, she smiles down at me. “Seeing your friend smile is reward enough for helping them in their times of need.”

… You know… that actually sounds familiar… That’s right! All this time I’ve spent with her, I’ve been doing my best to make sure she was happy, and I hated it whenever she was sad. Is that what’s she’s feeling for me right now? Is she… sad, because I’m sad?

“Hey, are you crying, Trixie?”

… “N-No! Of course not! I’m just…” Curse this mare! And those stallions! And those two brats! What are they doing to me? What is ‘friendship’? “… Just this once.”

“Hm?”

“Just this once! I’ll show you this side of me only once, so savour it while you still can!” Without giving her the chance to ask any questions, I throw my hooves around Appletini, and bury my face into her shoulder. She seems to accept me, as her hold over me tightens… Hm? Somepony else is holding me now? I open my eyes to check, and see Azure Eminence.

“Hey! Can I get in on this, too?!” Astral? How long has he been here? Whatever, doesn’t matter. I nudge Appletini to signal for her to move aside. She does so, still not letting go of me, allowing room for Astral to join our little group hug.

“You guys… Thank you… But, you know that I can’t stay here.”

“Why not?”

“I’m a Unicorn, and now everypony knows it.”

“Didn’t I already tell you that I’d protect you?”

“… Even if you guys don’t mind, what of the others? Surely they-”

“Don’t be so fast to judge the ponies of the 47th District.” Stitch? He’s here, too? Mist is beside him, as well. “Why don’t you give them a chance, before deciding how they feel about you?”

“Everypony’s still waiting for you to continue your show,” Mist says. They are? But- “A lot of foals are going to be disappointed, if you end it now.”

“… T-They really don’t mind? That my boasts are…”

Appletini releases me, and rubs a hoof against my face, wiping away the tears running down my cheeks. “Only one way to find out. And no matter what the outcome is, we’ll always be here for you afterwards.” Well, when you put it that way, it doesn’t sound bad, but… “Come on. The show must go on, right?”

“… Right.” Right. I’m not alone anymore. I have friends, too. You can’t destroy my life anymore, Twilight Sparkle. I won’t let you, because… I have no intention, of ever leaving my new friends. “Well then… before I return to the stage, let me just make one thing perfectly clear: tell anypony about this-” I motion to the group hug still in progress. “-And I will end each and every one of you. Got it?”

Appletini simply laughs, and helps me up to my hooves. “Well, I guess we could just keep it as a secret between friends. Now, go back on that stage and do your thing!”

“You got it!”

… Easier said than done. Even if I have my friends beside me, offering their support, that crowd that came to watch me was pretty huge. What happens when they start to throw produce at me? When they start to break out the hateful words, and tell me to get lost?

Appletini grabs my hoof as we walk. There’s definitely some kind of magic at work here, because somehow, that simple act suddenly helps to ease my nerves, at least a little bit.

We all arrive back at the market square, where many ponies are still waiting around the stage… all staring at us. Or rather, at me.This isn’t going to go well… but, Appletini is giving me that smile that tells me everything will be fine, so…

“Uh, hi, guys…”

“Hey, the show’s still on, right?” … That… wasn’t what I was expecting to hear.

Three young foals walk up to me. “Ms. Will-o-Wisp, what’s an ursa major?” …

“They’re…” I’d rather not talk about it. Instead, I’d rather… “They’re nothing special. Instead, wouldn’t you rather hear the story that I was about to tell you, before I was so rudely interrupted?”

Their eyes light up quickly. “Yes, please!”

Many of the ponies behind them also seem to be interested in the story I had planned out for today. So she was right… They really don’t care about my past. Just who I am right now… And what I am doesn’t seem to matter to them. This is the magic of the Crystal Heart, isn’t it? Or maybe… it’s the magic of friendship.

“Very well then! Will-o-Wisp, the Great and Powerful, apologises for the delay! Now, prepare for a story like no other: the epic tale of a mare who, against all odds, managed to bring down the dark lord Tirek!”


It seems the tale of Tirek is known even within the Crystal Empire. However, what I had planned for today, wasn’t a simple self-insert fic, brought to life by my magic. No, I had something much more thrilling planned.

About five minutes into my story, I gathered up my illusionary magic, and created a ghastly image on the stage. Incredibly lifelike, to the point that most of the crowd backed away upon seeing it. An image of Tirek’s ‘reborn form’, Kerit, had appeared onstage to cast his revenge upon me.

And thus began our epic duel together, both of us casting spells at one another, and the crowd going wild with each one. Every time Kerit was hit, the foals would cheer. Every time I was hit, the foals would become worried, but then cheer again as soon as I got up.

Right now, I’m at my favourite part: where I am about to be defeated, but then make my great and powerful comeback, using the love of my admiring fans as strength! Inspired only in part by the Crystal Heart…

Anyway, just one more spell, and then I’ll bring this story to its clima-

BANG!

A firework spell? I didn’t use a firework spell. Is somepony trying to steal my show. I’d like to see them try… I turn to the source of the spell, and find…

“Attention, everypony! I have received word that a pony from Equestria has been sighted here! A blue Unicorn that goes by the name ‘Trixie’!”

Y-You’ve got to be kidding me. They went to the Royal Guard with this?! Damn you, Twilight! I won’t go down without a fight!

“You must be mistaken,” Azure says, attracting Shining Armour’s attention. “Nopony here but us Crystal Ponies, just trying to enjoy a little magic show.”

“Do you take me for a fool? That mare onstage is a perfect match to the witness’ description, minus the horn! Which, by the way, could easily be hiding beneath that hat!”

“… Okay, so she’s a Unicorn. So what?” W-What are you doing, you- … Well, I suppose it doesn’t matter anyway. If I hadn’t removed my hat willingly, I’m sure he could have just removed it himself. “What’re you gonna do, take her away? You’ll have to get past me first.”

Is he mad?! I’m flattered and all, but this is the Prince of the Crystal Empire, is it not?!

“How dare you stand in the way of the Prince’s investigation?! You insolent little-”

Appletini steps forward, placing herself in-between Azure, and the guard approaching him. “Lay one hoof on my friends, either of them, and I’ll make you wish you stayed in your own Country!”

Appletini too? They do realise that they’re going up against the Royal Guard, don’t they? This isn’t something they can just get out of by feigning ignorance. They’re going to be locked away for this. I have to stop them!

“Stop it, you two!” I shout, and jump down from the stage. I approach the Prince, and remove my hat. “Fine, go ahead and arrest me. I’ll go willingly.”

“No you won’t.” Stitch? “Because you’re a member of the 47th District, and no Equestrian is going to say otherwise.”

Azure nods. “The Royal Guard is here to protect us as we rebuild our own strength. That is what our Princess, and your own Princesses, decided. However, that does not give you any rights to impose your power over us.”

“She may be a fugitive in Equestria, but then, she’s not in Equestria, is she?” Appletini asks as she walks closer to me. “If you want her, you’ll have to go through us. And I wonder… do you have permission to use force on another Country’s subjects like that?”

“If those subjects are interfering with efforts to uphold the law,” Shining Armour says, in a threatening tone. “The Crystal Empire is under quarantine for a reason. And she does not have permission to be here. She must be returned to Equestria, it is as simple as that.”

“No!” Astral shouts, running in-between me and the Prince. “She’s still got lots of magic to teach me! You can’t take her away just yet!”

“And I still have to beat her with my own magic.” Yeah, but that’ll be a long time form now, Mist.

“Why do you want to take her back so badly, anyway?” Appletini asks. “From what I understand, there’s nothing even waiting for her there, and she’s certainly no threat to us!”

“The law is not for us to question, but to follow.” A typical Royal Guard response. Funny how they only uphold that principle when it doesn’t help me in any way. “Hand her over. That is an order.”

“We don’t take orders from Equestrians!” Azure shouts, and a good number of ponies behind us voice their agreement. “And we don’t betray our friends, either!”

“Then, in that case, we have no choice but to take her by for-”

“Prince Shining Armour!” A Pegasus lands suddenly before the Prince, and extends his hoof to him, presenting a rolled-up scroll. “A message from the Princess!”

“From Cadie?” Really? That’s what you call her? How lame. “… I see…” He turns around. “We are to head back to the castle immediately!” He turns back to face me. “This isn’t over yet. But it seems my part in this case is done with.”

What’s that supposed to mean? Is he giving up? What was in that letter?

“Man, that was kinda fun!” Fun, Azure? In what way? “Those Equestrians are a real pain sometimes, always using their influence to take control of our decisions at meetings. Still, I wonder why he gave up so easily?”

Who knows? “Hmph. It matters not, because all it means is that the show can still go on.”

The crowd behind me cheers, and I turn around to make my way back to the stage. “AZURE!” Oh, come on! Another interruption?! “What the hay do you think you’re doing? Have you lost your mind?!”

I turn back, to find five ponies approaching us. One is red, another is brown, the third is yellow, and the last two are just slightly different shades of green.

“Oh, Crimson! And you brought some friends along, too!” Oh, so this is Crimson. I’ve never actually seen him before, now that I think about it.

“You moron! We saw what you just did! How you tried to pick a fight with the Prince…” He points his hoof towards me. “Just to save this fugitive Equestrian! What were you thinking?!”

“Just trying ta save a friend, that’s all.”

I don’t think Crimson’s too happy with that response. “Hand her over. Now.” This again? I’m never going to be able to finish this show, am I? “Hand her over to the Equestrians.”

Azure shakes his head. “I won’t.”

“I said do it! This is your last warning.”

“And what will you do, Crimson?”

“… If you refuse… then, in that case, twenty-six of the fifty-two districts have agreed to move against you, and force you to hand her over.”

What? Is he serious? But that means- “Hey, now. You realise what that means, right? If you did that, other districts would join the fold. It would lead to a civil war within the Empire!”

“If you understand, then hand her over already.”

“It’s you that must be mad! Why do you want her so bad?! What does it matter to you, whether she lives here, or in Equestria?!”

“It matter because that is the law laid down by Princesses Celestia and Luna!”

Appletini steps forward. “They’re not our Princesses! Why should it matter what they decide? You want to appease them so badly?”

“Of course I do!” Is that… fear, in his eyes? “You weren’t there… You didn’t see… what they could do. When they defeated King Sombra, all on their own. King Sombra had reached a level beyond that of mere mortals. He was no longer subject to harm by anything that this world had to offer, and yet, they…”

“So that’s it? You saw one little spell, and now you’re scared of them?” Azure, I wouldn’t exactly call that a ‘little spell’.

“You moron! Think about it! They could destroy the entire Empire if they wanted to! We’re literally at their mercy! One wrong move, and-”

“You really think they’d do that? Over one little pony?”

“I sure don’t want to take the risk! When King Sombra returned, did you see the two Princesses come back to fight him once more? No! And why not? Because they care not for our safety! Because they wanted our Empire to fall! Because they wanted to show us that they had other powerful forces at their disposal! I don’t know which, but the reason doesn’t matter! All that matters, is protecting the ponies of the Crystal Empire, until we are finally able to stand on equal ground with Equestria!”

“… I agree. And Trixie is a member of the Crystal Empire.”

“Damnit Azure, stop being such a fool already! If we have to take down one district in order to save the other fifty-one, then so be it!”

I look around at all of the ponies gathered at the market square. Some look uneasy. Some look unsure. But the vast majority… still haven’t moved, and seem to be ready for a fight.

This isn’t good. If these ponies fight to try and protect me, then it’ll all be my fault that they get hurt. Azure… what are you planning?

“… Alright, you win.” A-Azure? “You can take her away. You can kick her out of the Empire.” What?!

“Azure, what’re you saying?!” Good question, Appletini. I mean, it’s to be expected, really, but somehow… it hurts to hear him actually saying it.

“But I’m going with her. You can go ahead and pin all of the blame on me, if kissing up to that Princess is really so important. But I’m not leaving her all alone. She’s my friend, and friends don’t abandon each other.”

Azure, you really mean it? You would leave you life here behind… just for me?

“Heh, well then, I guess I’ll join ya!” Appletini… “You two’ll need somepony to cook your meals for you, right? Not to mention, I need to make sure you don’t try anything funny with her.”

“You hurt me with your accusations, Appletini.”

You guys…

“I’m going too!” Astral. “I’ll have ta ask mum, but I’m sure she’ll be cool with it!” … Remind to go visit your mother at some point, if I ever get out of this mess, Astral. There’s something seriously wrong with your parents, if they would really be okay with something like that.

“No matter which way you go, you’ll need protective clothing.” Stitch? You’re coming, too. “… I’ll make you some suits before you leave.” Oh. Guess not. Somehow, I can’t help but laugh right now.

“Well, that’s certainly an improvement!” Appletini says, though I’m not sure what she means, exactly. “Laughing, even during a situation like this… doesn’t it feel better than worrying?”

… Well, yeah, but-

“Are you guys really so stupid?” Uh-oh. Crimson’s hooves are glowing a dark-red colour, and he looks pretty angry right now. Azure’s hooves are glowing a dark-blue colour… This isn’t going to end well. I’ve got to help him. “The Equestrian is going back where she belongs, so that we can show the Princesses that we support her fully.”

“I don’t know what kind of ponies the Princesses are any more than you do. If they’re benevolent rulers, then I don’t think we have to worry.” Actually, I don’t know what kind of rulers they are, either. At the very least, though, I suffered under their rule. So I certainly don’t support them. “And, if they’re tyrants, who use their power to oppress others… then forget waiting. We’ll never support their rule.”

“You fool! I won’t let you endanger the Crystal Empire like that!”

I charge magic into my horn, ready to back my friend up. “Azure, I certainly hope you don’t regret this later!”

“Little late to be saying stuff like that now, don’t ya think?” True. “Don’t worry, Trixie. We’re your friends.” I take one final look around me. A good number of ponies from the 47th District… are all smiling at me, and some are getting into fighting stances. “And we’ve got your back, even against an entire Country, if necessary.”

“That won’t be necessary.”

Crimson gasps, and the glow around his hooves vanishes in an instant. Whose voice was that? And why is Crimson suddenly bowing his head?

“P-Princess Celestia!”

WHAT?!

I turn my head around, and sure enough, there she is. One of the rulers of the Country of Equestria. The pony that raises the sun every day, and whose influence is the most powerful in all of Equestria. Anything she says, goes. And she’s here, right now, standing before.

She’s taller than her pictures make her seem.

“Please, everypony, at ease.” I wasn’t bowing anyway. But everypony who is bowing rises up slowly. The tall white Alicorn approaches me… She’s also much more horrifying than her pictures make her seem.

“Y-Your Majesty,” Crimson starts, “What brings you here? If you had told us of your arrival in advance, we would have arranged a welcoming committee to come and meet you.”

“Well, I had only decided to stop by earlier today.” She turns her attention on me. Gulp. “My student, who is currently visiting my niece, informed me that there was a pony in need of my help here.”

Really? Who’s that?

“Are you the fugitive Trixie, who had been caught sneaking into the Crystal Empire some time ago?”

“… Y-Yes. That’s right.”

She nods, and closes her eyes. Somehow, I don’t think I’ll be able to get away from this by just running. “I see… You are aware of the number of crimes that you have committed, are you not? Illegally crossing the border, entering an area that was off-limits to you, resisting arrest…” Yeah, yeah, I get it already. Just get it over with. Whatever punishment you have in store for me… Just… let me say goodbye to my friends first, okay?

“Princess, what are you-” Appletini begins. Celestia cuts her off.

“For your crimes, I could have you locked away, or doing community service, for a full one to three years… However, I have decided on a different punishment for you.” Here it comes. “Trixie Lulamoon, you are hereby banished from the land of Equestria, and your Equestrian citizenship is hereby revoked!”

… D-Did I just hear that right? “W-What?”

That shall be your punishment for your crimes. You are no longer welcome within Equestrian territory, and you are no longer one of my subjects.” She turns her attention to something behind me. “That means, I do not want to see her in my Country. Do I make myself clear, Crimson Eminence?”

“… Crystal, Your Majesty. But, what of the Empire?”

She smiles, before turning around. “The Crystal Empire is not Equestrian soil. That decision will be left up to your own ruler. Isn’t that right, my dear niece?”

“Yes, aunt.” Gah! When did she get behind me?! “I apologise for dragging you all the way out here, aunt Celestia.”

“It is no problem at all.” The Princess turns her gaze towards me, and… smiles? Her mouth moves, but no words come out. I could be mistaken, but I believe what she just said under breath was: ‘Good luck’.

Good luck? With what? I’ve now officially been cast out of Equestria, the Country in which I was born. True, there was nothing there for me anyway, but still… Actually, now that I’m no longer a citizen there, doesn’t that mean… I am no longer bound by their laws?

But, what about my life here? Will I still be able to live my life here, just as I have done for the past weeks?

“Ms. Lulamoon?” Celestia takes off into the sky, and now, I am approached by this Princess. “I would like you to come with me, please.”

Appletini steps in front of me. “What for?” I ask.

She simply continues to smile down at me, and kneels down, facing me at eyelevel. “To take your Crystal Empire citizenship test, of course.”

My eyes widen, and the sounds of many ponies gasping fills the area around us. “My… My what?”


“Your Crystal Empire citizenship test, to determine whether or not you will be accepted as a member of the Crystal Empire.”

“… A… test?” The Crystal Palace looks nice. The Princess seems to a have good taste in art. And the symmetry… Oh, the symmetry! And there’s a spa in her? Tch, figures… Spoiled, Royal Princess… Oh, right. The test. “Um… this is kind of short notice… Shouldn’t you give me a chance to study up a bit first?”

She ignores me, and instead points towards a small table in a big, empty room… Why exactly does this room exist? Seriously, it’s just a big, white, empty room, with this one table in the centre of it. And on the table, is a stack of papers. Presumably this ‘test’ of hers.

I’m totally not prepared for this.

“Relax. You’ll find that this is a different sort of test than what you’re probably used to.”

Oh? How so? … I doubt she’d answer me, even if I asked. With a sigh, I walk over to the table, and take a seat on the floor.

“You may begin when ready. And don’t worry. There is no time limit.”

Alright, deep breath Trixie… And now, question one: ‘You see a pony trip in the middle of the street, and her purse falls out of her bag. Do you: A, help the mare up, and offer her her purse, B, help the mare up, but take her purse, C, don’t help the mare up, and take her purse, or, D, ignore the situation entirely’.

… Ah, I see. Anypony can look up a thousand years of history, or the ways in which the Crystal Empire’s government works. What they want, isn’t ponies with knowledge… It’s ponies with good hearts. This is a morality test.

And naturally, the answer is ‘A’. GAH! T-The quill was just… blasted out of my magical hold.

“Please answer the questions honestly. If you try to lie, the magic spell on the quill will activate, and it will be thrown across the room, like just now.”

… Damn. I am so screwed… Well, let’s just get this over with. ‘D’. The next question wants me to elaborate on my answer… I guess, it just wouldn’t cross my mind to help out. Not unless somepony like Appletini were to suggest it, or I took the time to think about it, which I doubt I would do.

… Yep. I’m screwed.


“I passed.” That’s about the fiftieth time I’ve said that in the past minute, only this time, it was actually directed at somepony. I still can’t believe it… I pass that test? With those answers?

“So, that means…” That hopeful look on Appletini’s face… It’s kind of cute. I almost want to just let her hold onto it for a while. But…

“That means… I’m now officially a citizen of the Crystal Empire.”

All at once, Appletini, Azure, and Astral cheer loudly. Ow, my ears. Behind them, Stitch is clapping his forehooves together, and Mist looks… uninterested.

“Well, that’s good,” the filly says. “That means I haven’t lost my number one rival.”

“I thought that was me,” Astral says, earning a huff from Mist. “Anyway, this great! I get to keep my teacher, and stay with my family!” … I still don’t believe he was serious about his parents allowing him to leave, but I should go an check in on that, at some point.

“Congratulations, Trixie… Er, is it Trixie now, or still Will-o-Wisp?”

A good question, but one that I’ve already thought about. “If you wouldn’t mind… I would prefer Trixie. Trixie was abandoned by everypony in Equestria… I swore to myself long ago, that I would be the one pony not to abandon her.” I turn to Appletini. “That’s why, I asked you to still call me that in private.”

“Well, Trixie or Will-o-Wisp, I’m just glad that you’re able to stay!”

Azure nods. “Yes, and to celebrate, I say we all hit the Forty-seventh Heaven! Drinks are all on Trixie, naturally.”

“Wait, what?!”

Appletini nudges him with her foreleg. “Drinks are on us, Azure. Well, ‘cept the kids.” She turns to look at the two foals. “You two are coming, right?”

Astral nods enthusiastically, and Mist gives Appletini a grin. “Free drinks? I guess I’ll tag along, then.”

“Nothing alcoholic, you two,” Azure says, and immediately, their faces drop.

“And maybe afterwards, the Great and Powerful Trixie can finish her show your guys. A private show, just for her friends.”

“Sounds fun,” Stitch says.

“Great, then let’s go hit that tavern up!” Azure cheers, energetically pumping his forehoof into the air.

I nod, and the six of us, together, head off into the 47th District. To a new life, here in the Crystal Empire, surrounded by ponies I can call my friends. And, to a new future.