• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 6,573 Views, 330 Comments

Trixie's New Life in the Crystal Empire - Yukito



Trixie, having nowhere in Equestria to go, leaves the Country behind in search of a new land to call her home... or her final resting place.

  • ...
9
 330
 6,573

A New Ally

What do I do? What do I do?! There’s only one reason this guy would be approaching me, and that’s because he knows who I am, and wants to take me back to Equestria! … No, m-maybe I’m over thinking it. I mean, it’s not like he has proof, right? If I just keep my hat on, and play it cool, I should be able to talk my way out of this…

“Ma’am? Is everything alright?”

“YES?!” Crap, that was totally suspicious. “Yes?” That’s right, just gotta play it cool. I can do this…

“I’m sorry if I’m being a bother, but I would like to ask you some questions.”

“Questions? About what?”

“I’m sure you’ve heard of the fugitive pony from Equestria.” Eep. “We’d like to ask you some questions regarding that.”

Calm down, Trixie. It’s hard to play it cool when you’re sweating like this… “W-What makes you think I know a-anything?”

“Actually, it’s Azure Eminence that we suspect right now.” What?! “We suspect that he is withholding information, and protecting the fugitive.” Oh, that’s what they meant. I thought they meant that they suspected he was the fugitive, but that would have just been stupid…

Wait, wait, wait! This is still a bad situation here! Azure’s under suspicion right now, and it’s all my fault! I know! I’ll just feed them false information! Whatever they ask me, I’ll just make something up that will throw off their investigation! It shouldn’t be too hard… But if I mess up, and they find out I was lying, then I’d be under suspicion, instead.

Right, it’s do or die. Oh, and one final touch, just in case… “Well then, please hurry it up. I’m in a hurry to get home. My roommate can get pretty impatient, you see.” A little magic to make my voice sound different. My horn’s glow is masked by my hat, and right now, I don’t know what kind of information they have on me, so it couldn’t hurt to be a little cautious.

“I understand.” He pulls out a notebook and a quill with his magic. “Then, let’s start with your name and date of birth.”

Easy enough. “Will-o-Wisp, born April 1st.” He jots that information down… Wait, if he checks that later, or tries to use it to look me up… Damnit!

“What is your relation to Azure Eminence?”

“Friends,” I answer with no hesitation. I love being able to do that.

“And have you noticed him acting strange lately? Any suspicious actions or-”

“Not at all.” … Very creative, Trixie. Very, very creative indeed. “Well, nothing that pops to mind, at least. But, perhaps you could be more specific?”

“Any odds speech patterns, or him suddenly not being around? Maybe he’s acting secretive, or paranoid, or he’s tired… Pretty much anything that stands out from how he usually is.”

“Hmmm… Ah! I just thought of something!” The dumb Prince leans forward, looking very excited. Oh, this is fun. Well, almost. As much fun as I can have when my life is at stake. “He’s been getting a little chubby lately! I told him to cut back on the snacks!”

Shining Armour sighs, and gives me a disapproving stare. “So that’s it? Nothing else jumps out at you?”

“Sorry, nothing at all.”

“And Azure hasn’t shared any information with you, or said anything out of the ordinary?”

“Not a single thing. Other than his pickup lines getting a bit stale, but then, it’s hard to keep ‘em fresh for a thousand years.” I laugh at my own joke, but apparently, the Royal Guard either has no sense of humour, or are just forbidden to laugh.

“Alright, well, if you can think of anything… anything at all… please tell us immediately.”

“Sure thing. Good luck, fellas. I hear Unicorns are pretty sharp, after all.” Oh, I am on fire today! … What, they don’t get it? Y’know, ‘cause their horns and all… Why are they looking at me like that?

“Ma’am… how did you know that the fugitive from Equestria is a Unicorn?” … “Ma’am?” I’m thinking, shut up already!

“Um… C-Crimson Eminence!” That’s right! I can use him! “H-He came round to ours to ask about the ‘Unicorn fugitive’!”

“That’s impossible,” Shining Armour says. “We have not disclosed the pony’s race yet, since we are ourselves are completely unaware of it. Or the pony’s gender, for that matter. The guards that saw them did so at night, so there’s really very little information that we have of them.”

You’ve got to be… Wait, maybe I can… “T-Then, doesn’t that mean that Crimson is suspicious?”

Shining Armour shakes his head. Why is he shaking his head? “Crimson Eminence has been staying at the Crystal Palace for this investigation. Whilst it is apparent that he is withholding information, he has not had the opportunity to harbour a fugitive, or make any suspicious movements without us noticing.

“In fact, what I’m curious about, is why he would think to visit your home. Unless he’s just going around, asking ponies one-by-one?” I could go along with it, but he’ll find out I’m lying soon enough if I do. “Well?”

Shoot! I can’t believe I slipped up like that! I get it… Crimson heard about a Unicorn in the 47th District, and came to investigate on his own. It doesn’t seem as if they’re aware of this yet… But if they find out, then I’ll be-

“Will-o-Wisp, there you are!” That voice! I recognise it! “I’m glad I managed to find you! Hm? Am I interrupting something?”

I turn around, and find a rather handsome young stallion, with a with a silver coat, slightly darker silver mane, and a Cutie Mark of a needle and thread on his flank. Stitch N. Sew. “W-What-”

“Sorry, I forgot to give this to you earlier!” He pulls something out of his saddlebag, and gives it to me. Some thread? Why is he- “Oh, the Royal Guard? What’s going on?” He gives me a sly grin. “Will-o-Wisp, this wouldn’t be a secret rendezvous with the Prince, now would it?”

Is he mad?! “How are you disrespect the Prince like that?!” one of the guards shouts.

“At ease!” Shining Armour barks, and his two guards immediately fall back. Is he… blushing? He almost looks kind of cute… but also totally lame. This is a Captain? Not to mention, one of the ponies I’ve been so scared of for the past year? … What the hell?

“Eheheh… Sorry, sorry. But seriously, what’s up? First Crimson, now you?” What?

“Crimson visited you?” What’s going on?

“Yeah. He figured, since I’m an expert tailor and all, that maybe I designed clothes for this fugitive pony. ‘Course, I would never do such a thing knowingly, but…”

Shining Armour stares at Stitch for what feels like an eternity… “I see… But then, why did he also visit this mare here?”

“Ah, I was supposed to meet my buddy here for tea that day, but something urgent came up. I sure got an earful from Crimson for it later. He hates it when things don’t go his way. Such a child, that one.”

“Agreed,” Shining Armour mumbles. He seems to be mulling this over in his head. Is Stitch… protecting me, right now? But why? “If you didn’t supply clothes to this fugitive knowingly, then it’s probable that we’re dealing with an Earth Pony. But, I wonder why Crimson seems convinced that our target is a Unicorn?”

“He’s convinced, you say?” Does Stitch know what I really am? Did Appletini or Azure tell him? No, they wouldn’t. Surely not. After all, they’re… ponies. And ponies betray others at a moment’s notice. Of course they do. So, maybe-

“According to Ms. Will-o-Wisp.”

“Ah, I think there may be a misunderstanding, then. Rather than convinced, it’s more that he’s paranoid. After all, the last Unicorn besides you, Prince, to enter the Empire was… Well, you know…”

He’s… not ratting me out? What’s he hoping to achieve with this? Maybe… Maybe he’s just being… kind? Wishful thinking, but still, I can’t imagine that Appletini would tell anypony about me, and she seems to have Azure wrapped around her hoof, so maybe…

“I see. So that’s all it was…” He bought it! He really bought it! That means my secret is safe… right? “And? I don’t suppose you could tell us anything? About any suspicious ponies, or about Azure Eminence?”

Stitch shrugs. “I don’t really know Azure all that well. We’ve met, and exchanged pleasantries, but we’re not exactly close. And I certainly haven’t seen him much recently. As for suspicious characters, I’m afraid that there’s really nopony that jumps to mind.”

“I see. Well, thank you for your time.” Shining Armour turns around, and motions for his guards to follow him. “Let’s get back to the castle. It’s been a long day.”

“Yes, sir!”

The three ponies begin to walk off down the street, the sounds of their hoofsteps becoming quieter and quieter each passing second. It feels so good right now. I was this close to being discovered, but now, I’m safe! I’m safe, I’m-

“That was close, huh?”

… Well, almost. I still have to deal with him. “Close? How so? You almost make it sound as if I’m guilty of something.”

“But you are guilty…” He reaches his hoof forward, and grabs the brim of my hat. Oh no you don’t! I’ve already got this baby planted firmly on my head with a spell! It won’t come off so easily! “After all…” His hoof glows, and he pulls my hat off with barely any trouble at all. “You’re the fugitive from Equestria, aren’t you, Trixie?”

… Okay, God of Dreams. I’m ready to wake up now… Nothing? Really? Okay then, plan B. RUN AWAY!

“Hold it!” Damn! He’s got my tail! What now?! Wait, what am I thinking? I can just use my magic and- “Relax, Trixie. I’m not gonna tell anypony.” He puts my hat back on my head. Is he serious? He really won’t tell anypony about me? Well, he didn’t tell the Royal Guard, sure, but… “Please, just trust me, alright?”

… That voice. It’s not quite as gentle or as reassuring as Appletini’s, but… maybe I can trust it. I stop trying to run away, and turn around to face my new foe. “How long have you known?”

“Since Crimson visited me.” What? You mean that actually happened? Makes sense, I guess. The best deceptions are always wrapped in truth, after all. “He told me that the fugitive pony may ask for something to hide themselves. Like, say, a hat for their horn, or a cloak for their wings, depending on their race.

“Interestingly, Crimson had no clue about the ‘Unicorn’ that was actually a Crystal Pony. In fact, as it turns out, nopony outside of the 47th District knew that at all. I then realised how odd it was, that Azure would hold a town meeting, just to tell us that the Unicorn we saw was actually just an illusionist. I guess he wanted to ensure that news of it wouldn’t spread too far, huh?

“In any case, the moment Crimson had suggested to me that the fugitive may be hiding under my clothes, I remembered the hat and cape that Appletini asked me to make in a hurry. The same hat and cape that belong to you, who introduced yourself as ‘Trixie’, but then suddenly started to go by the name ‘Will-o-Wisp’. According to Jack, those injuries of yours didn’t seem like mere illusions, and I may not be an expert, but even I found it strange that your horn didn’t vanish when you passed out.”

… This guy. This freaking guy… “So… you figured all of this out, but didn’t tell anypony?”

Stitch simply shrugs in response. “Appletini’s my friend. If she’s willing to hide you, then I am too. And besides…” He reaches his hoof forward again, and lowers it onto my head. Who the hell does he think he is, petting me like I was a dog?! I swear I’ll bite him if he doesn’t sto- … Yeah, that totally doesn’t help my case, does it? “You must have your reasons for not wanting to go back to Equestria! At first, I considered that you were a criminal, but I just can’t picture you that way! You’re so helpless on your own, and way too dense.”

“I beg your pardon?!” Are you picking a fight with me, pal?! “Helpless?! Dense?! Perhaps you are not aware that you are referring to the one, and only, the Great and Powerful TRIXIE! The pony who singlehoofedly defeated a swarm of mad harpies all on her own!”

“What’s a harpy?” … Is he serious? “In any case, I’m not talking about your magic, or your physical strength. I’m talking about your stubbornness, and your total lack of social skills.” He’s patting my head again. “If you were left alone… Why, I don’t even wanna think about it! I doubt you’d last long, and if that happened, because of me, then it’d be like I did it to you myself.”

“So, what, you took pity on me? Just because I happen to be inexperienced at making friends?”

“Pretty much. But I also wanted to help you in that regard, too. Y’know, by being your friend, like Appletini and Azure are?” A-Another pony that wants to be my friend? “And don’t worry. You’re secret’s totally safe with me, Will-o-Wisp.”

He offers his foreleg to me, and smiles. Great, it’s just one problem after another, isn’t it? Should I trust him, or not? … Well, if he was going to tell anypony about me, I’m sure he would have done it already. And besides, I’ve taken plenty of chances since I’ve been here already. What’s one more.

I locked my own foreleg around his, and allow him to walk me through the streets of the 47th District. “Very well then. Will-o-Wisp, the Great and Powerful, will put her faith into you, for now, Sir Stitch N. Sew.”

“Whoa! When’d I get knighted? What’re you, some Princess from a foreign land?”

“Indeed. A vile monster has attacked my family back home, and now I am forced to live here, hiding until I gain enough power to fight back.”

“Aah, so that’s it! Well, now I definitely can’t let you go back! Not until I see how this tale ends!”

“If you’d like to learn more, you should come to Will-o-Wisp’s next show. It’s free of charge, and you can hear even more stories of her greatness.”

“I’d be honoured to, Your Majesty.”

We both share a laugh together. My heart feels so much more at ease now. He really is just like them… Just like Appletini, Azure Eminence, and Astral Projection. Heck, even that Mist Veil was easy to be myself around.

I like these ponies… and I like this Country. The Crystal Empire, I love it here! So much! I don’t ever want to leave this place, and be separated from all of the friends that I’ve made here! I’ll do whatever it takes to ensure that my secret remains just that! And, maybe… maybe I can call on a friend or two, to help me out, from time to time.

Suddenly, something crosses my mind. “How did you manage to remove my hat?”

Stitch simply laughs, and holds up a hoof. “I’m a tailor. Magic on clothes is my speciality.”


… Five minutes now. It’s been about twenty minutes since I parted ways with Stitch N. Sew, and for the past five minutes, somepony has been following me around.

Maybe I should take a turn at this next alley, and confront this stalker directly. No. I’m almost home now… I’ll get home, and tell Appletini about this. She’s my friend, so she’ll be able to h-help me.

But still, I wonder who this pony following me could be? Shining Armour? Crimson? Maybe… that Princess? Oh lord, please don’t let it be the Princess. A Unicorn or a Crystal Pony is one thing, but how the hay am I supposed to outmanoeuvre somepony who holds all of the power and authority in this Country?

Almost there… It’s just around this corner now. He’s getting closer! I’ll pick up the pace a bit… Almost… I can see the door now! Aaaaaaand… “Safe!” I shout as I open the door, and quickly run inside. I close the door behind me, and look through the peephole.

“Welcome home, Trix- … Uh, you alright there, Trixie?”

“Appletini, I need-” … Darn it, this is harder than I thought it would be. Come on, Trixie. She’s your friend. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about, right? Heh, let’s face it… she’s seen you in a much more embarrassing state. “… T-Trixie needs your… help, with something…”

… Huh. That wasn’t so bad, at all.

“Oh? What with?”

And she’s not laughing at me, or chiding me for being helpless… Since when was getting help from others so easy? “Well, you see… I was being followed, on my way home, and I think that they’re still out there. So, you see…”

“And, you need my help for this?” She giggles a little bit. “What gives? Why didn’t you just… use your magic, or something?”

“… I’m a fugitive.” She settles down, and then turns her head away. “I can’t… I can’t risk standing out too much right now. And if that pony is suspicious of me, then-”

“Say no more! I’m not gonna let anypony give my friends a hard time and get away with it!”

Wow, she’s just… incredible. “Thanks.” I should ask for help more often. I must admit, it doesn’t feel so bad, letting others take a load off of your shoulders every now and then. “So, what’re you-”

Appletini moves past me, and opens the front door. She rushes outside, before I can even ask her what she’s planning to do. Is she… going to confront the stalker by herself? Shouldn’t I back her up? Yes, I should. Even if she’s offering to do it as my friend, as her friend, I should leave her to fight what could be a dangerous foe all on her own.

So what if I get hurt a little bit? I enjoy spending time with Appletini, and I’ll be damned if I let anypony take that away from me! I am the Great and Powerful Trixie, after all. I should defend what’s mine, and that includes my friends!

“Problem solved.” … What? Did I zone out again, and miss the whole thing? Appletini’s standing before me right now, with a colt standing next to her, looking at the ground and kicking it with his right foreleg. Is he the stalker? He looks like a teenager…

“Who’s this?” I ask, pointing to the colt.

“The ‘stalker’,” Appletini responds. Well, that answers that.

“I wasn’t… That wasn’t my intention! I was just… trying to…” He mumbles the last bit, so I can’t hear it.

“I’m sorry, you were what?”

“… I… I wanted to g-give you these…” He reaches behind his shoulder, and pulls out a bouquet of flowers. It looks awful. None of the flowers compliment each other, and a good portion of them are dead. “I-I’m sorry! See ya, bye!”

He runs off rather quickly, leaving me with this rather awful gift, and many unanswered questions.

“You look confused.” You don’t, so it’s clear you know something, Appletini. “What, you’ve never met a pony with a crush on your before?”

… Oh, that’s what it was. “Wait, ponies give you flowers when they have a crush on you?”

“Hm? Oh, sometimes. Traditionally, you keep ‘em in a vase if you accept the other pony’s feelings.”

If I recall correctly, those two colts from Ponyville must have bought out the entire store, with all the offerings they gave me. Does that mean… Ah, whatever. Those two little brats are lucky I didn’t press charges against them. I think having their feelings crushed by me eating the flowers they gave me is perhaps a little too light a punishment for them.

“So, that colt was following me because…”

“Pour soul was probably just too afraid to work up the nerves to approach you.” She giggles, and offers to take the flowers off of my hooves. “I’ll go put these in some water.”

“But, Trixie isn’t accepting his feelings.” She seems confused by that. How is that confusing? It doesn’t take a genius to work out why I’m not accepting his feelings. “He’s a colt. Barely a teenager. And, besides, Trixie doesn’t even know him.”

“Ah, I think you’re misunderstanding. You can accept his feelings, but it doesn’t mean you have to return them.” Oh. Well, when you put it that way, I guess it makes more sense.

“But, I still don’t know him. Why should I accept the feelings of somepony I don’t even know?”

“… You mean, like I did for you?” … Ouch. That stung a bit.

“T-That’s different! You’re quite clearly a special case! I mean, I’ve met hundreds of ponies that never once accepted me, so-”

“Isn’t that why you should accept his feelings, Trixie? Do you honestly want to lower yourself to the same level as those other ponies? To become as cold and heartless as them? To make other ponies feel the same way you did, whenever you were rejected?”

… Damnit, Appletini! Stop using your logic on me! I’m still new at all this friendship stuff, but even I know that you can’t just immediately place your faith into somepony without reason. That’s just begging for trouble!

No, she’s right. Equestria rejected me, and I felt like I was nothing. Less than nothing. The Crystal Empire accepted me, and I’m now able to feel all of these wonderful new feelings, because of it. I know which life I’d rather live… and which of those feelings I’d rather not make somepony else go through.

“… Give me those.” I snatch the flowers from Appletini. “I’ll put them in some water. And then, I’ll let that colt down lightly, next time I see him… I… have another request of you.”

Appletini gives me that trademark smile of hers. “Ask me anything.”

“I’ll… need advice, on just how to do that. On how to let him know I’m not interested, but in a way that he isn’t crushed by it.” Oh god, I feel so stupid right now. Thankfully, only Appletini is here with me, and she isn’t laughing. Something I’m very grateful for.

“Of course I’ll help you. But first thing’s first: dinner’s almost ready, and I’m starving right here!”

The thought of food causes my stomach to rumble. “Eheheh… Yeah, you’re right. Dinner first, then strategy meeting.”

That’s right. This isn’t Equestria. And as long as I remain here, with my friends… I just know that everything is going to be alright.