• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 7,744 Views, 165 Comments

Armor for two - LostUmbrella



What if Chrysalis and Shining Armor's wedding wasn't stopped?

  • ...
13
 165
 7,744

Chapter 2

"Why are we going into the library?" complained 'Green Cloud' as they paced through the palace corridors.

"To find a solution to our problem, did you forget already?" answered Cadence slightly annoyed.

"I know why we're doing this, I mean why don't we simply ask to that egghead of our sister-in-law?"

"Twilight isn't- ok, maybe a bit, but I'd like to keep this story from spreading further, and moreover she's perfecting the spell to unmask the changelings... Do you really want her around?"

"You make a point," sighed the pegasus as they reached their destination.

The castle private library was huge, nothing comparable to the public one or the Canterlot one, but still impressive. At the very center of the bookshelves-filled room stood a tall statue of an armor clad unicorn with an evil grin and a fierce look.
A smilingly infinite quantity of books covered in dust was sitting on the bookshelves. Chrysalis felt a bit of discomfort while looking around.

"You can remove the disguise, if you want: nopony comes around here apart from me and my husband," explained Cadence in a sad tone.

"Why? Crystal ponies don't like to read?" joked 'Green Cloud' before being engulfed by green flames.

The alicorn pointed towards the statue and said: "That's king Sombra, previous ruler of the Empire, one of the worst beings in the whole Equestrian history and a tyrant; it's no wonder they feel unnerved around that ugly thing."

The changeling noticed that he was standing on a square base sustained by a great number of small ponies, most barely standing but some completely crushed.

"Why don't you simply destroy that thing?" she asked.

"He was a sly fox: many of those books are linked by magic to that statue, so that they have to be close by... And that they share the same fate." said Cadence with a sigh.

They reached the law section and started searching for useful information.

"Say, how is it that the air is filled with love in this city?" asked Chrysalis while staring a black horn-shaped tablet.

This was known as the slate of king Amur Habir, great great grandfather of king Sombra, first to write down the laws in the Empire history; those are surprisingly impartial, punishing very harshly every crime and everypony following the principle of 'an eye for an eye'.

"The crystal heart, which projects the huge barrier that keeps the Empire safe, works using love infused magic. It's also the reason why everything around here sparkles."

"You're telling me that your main defense is pouring out love? That's incredible! How do I get one of those? This could easily solve every problem of my kingdom!" exclaimed Chrysalis as happy as a little filly on Heart Warming Day.

"I fear it wont help: it's also powered by the love every crystal pony give it on the Crystal Fair Day," explained Cadence in a very sad tone "I'm sorry."

"Well, I guess hoping it was an unlimited love generator was a bit too much," sighed the other hanging her head.

They resumed the search, occasionally pointing out a useful edict or a bizarre law, like the one preventing mares in the Empire from having intimate relationships with hedgehogs.
Eventually, around lunch time, they left the dusty library without having accomplished anything.

---

The room, like the rest of the hive, had black walls made of chitin with holes oozing green liquid every couple of meters; it was round in shape, with a range of five meters, with one light blue orb in the middle, pouring it's gleam over the darkened room.

"Your predecessor has gone missing, so we made you in order to give our kind a proper substitute. Do you understand your task?" asked an emotionless male voice coming from the orb.

"Yes father," said the changeling filly sitting in front of it.

She looked like a mini-Chrysalis, but all the green parts were colored like cinder, while her voice was less raspy and more high pitched than the changeling queen's.

"You are born perfected to lead the changelings as their new queen, and you will do better than your predecessor. We shall name you Ashley, because every queen has a name."

"Thank you father," answered the filly with another bow.

"Then, queen Ashley, what will be your first decree?"

"I summon the council and the generals, now!" ordered her with a scowl.

"They are coming here. Why do you need them?"

"Chrysalis was weak. I'll show the changelings that they can rely on their queen by giving them the one thing they want and need: love! We cannot expect the equestrians to love us, not after the mess that foal made at the wedding, we have to get it by force!"

Part of the wall opened in front of her, letting a small number of changelings enter. They bowed in respect.

"You summoned us, father of our kind?" asked one of them.

"Yes my children. This filly here is your new queen, her name is Ashley," droned the orb "She needs your help to give our kind its due."

"We're born to serve your will, queen Ashley," the group said in unison, bowing again.

"Excellent" said her with a triumphant grin while buzzing her little wings.

---

The lunch, in the alicorn's plan, should have been a moment to relax and replenish the energies they spent searching the library, but she had forgotten a certain particular. They were still walking down the corridor towards the dining room, when a voice diverted their attention from the chat they were having.

"Cadence!" shouted an overjoyed lavender mare trotting towards her, ending the charge with a tight hug.

"T-Twilight?" asked Cadence in confusion.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" asked the unicorn, her eyes starting to water.

"Of course I am, Twi, I simply didn't expect to see you here this soon again," replied the pink mare hugging her back and preventing the waterworks.

"Don't you remember the letter, sweetheart?" asked Shining Armor, who had been sitting nearby the entire time; a trace of tension lingered in his voice.

"Which one? We read an awful lot every evening!" lamented Cadence, before asking Twilight "Wait, you're here for the statue in the library right? Aunt Celestia said something about sending a expert... Who, of course, would be you, my magical filly."

"You promised never to call me this again!" protested a blushing Twilight.

They laughed together.
When the giggles subsided, the lavender unicorn noticed the pegasus, who had remained silent for the whole time, fixing her glaze on the one mare that ruined her plan.

"Oh, I didn't notice you, I'm so sorry."

"Don't sweat it, dear. My name is Green Cloud and I'm an old friend of Cadence" said Chrysalis forcing a smile that resulted quite convincing "And you must be Twilight Sparkle, I presume. I heard a lot about you..."

Twilight blushed again.

"I see you girls are enjoying yourselves and I hate to butt in, but lunch is ready," stated Shining Armor with a grin and a mocking tone.

The four of them reached the dining room where Spike was already sitting.
It was a long room with three high windows on one side and three big tapestries presenting scenes of the Hearth Warming Day legend. They sat at a long table made of white crystal, dressed with a red tablecloth and surrounded by red velvety cushions.
After the due introductions, they started eating their meal, which ended about an hour later without any other event worthy of notice.

Author's Note:

First of all I would like to thank you all who red this story, who liked it, who faved and or rated it: THANK YOU, you gave me a great joy.

Now, for the news, I'll try to keep the new chapter release rate to once a week at least.

Thanks again