• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 867 Views, 34 Comments

The Trixie Zone - Commissar Rarity



Submissions for 30 Minute Ponies, starring the Great and Powerful Trixie!

  • ...
2
 34
 867

#225: Pitfall [Adventure]


Cloud Kicker leaned against the crumbled ruin of the city wall, her armour clinking as it did so. The damage wrought on Canterlot by the hordes of Tartarus was great. The city she had once known and loved was nothing but a charred skeleton.

She took a step forward, carefully navigating the broken cobblestone. Upon finding the ground solid, Cloud took another step forward and another. The wind blew, ruffling her mane and bringing the stench of fire and rot to her nose.

The devils of Tartarus were not present in this area of the town, she had noticed. They were all higher up, by the castle for whatever reason. She had occasionally encountered the almost-mindless thralls of the demons, stumbling around blindly. These Cloud took care to avoid – she had learned long ago the shrieks of a thrall would bring terror down upon her.

At times she would check her side. A solitary chunk of crystal hung from where her saddlebag usually would, swirls of dirty blue decorating it. She had found it in the ruins of a caravan a while ago, and did not know its purpose. And yet… Yet it held some kind of comfort to her. A talisman of peace, so to speak.

Soon, she came to a pit. It was an unnatural pit, and was as if a huge chunk of ground had been ripped up by a giant. The pegasus slowed in her walk and gingerly stepped over to investigate.

“Hello?” a voice drifted over from the bottom of the pit. “Are you sane?”

“I like to think I am,” Cloud said, voice rough from disuse. “Who’s down there?”

“Oh thank Celestia!” The voice brightened distinctly from its original, terrified state. The tremble of fear was still there though. “It is I, the Great and Powerful Trixie! Those beasts locked me in a cage and threw me down here. I hate to think what will happen if they return.”

“Me too,” the pegasus muttered. Louder, so that Trixie could hear, she added, “Trixie, hold on a moment. I’m gonna fly down there and see about breaking the lock.”

Glancing around, Cloud saw a good size rock. Perfect for breaking things. She opened her mouth as wide as she could and bit down into it. Her teeth ground against the rough surface of the rock, but she managed to keep a grip on it.

Cloud moved to the edge of the pit, leaning back on her haunches to propel herself into the air. The ground gave way under her, and she tumbled forward into the pit. The sword she had gotten so long ago from a griffon clattered out of her reach as she struck bottom. She hadn’t seen the crystal fly away though – maybe it was still there.

Her head hurt fiercely, a fiery stab of pain with each breath she took. The rock she had taken was a few inches away. She grabbed it again, and slowly dragged herself to the cage.

The cage was half-buried in the rubble, crusted over with rust. With a good amount of effort, Cloud managed to prop herself up on the cage. She slammed down on the lock with the stone, ignoring each fresh burst of pain in her skull. After what seemed an eternity, the lock snapped, and Trixie kicked open the door. The unicorn leapt out, tumbling into the pit just like Cloud had a few moments ago. Except unlike Cloud she had less of a fall ahead of her.

Cloud hopped down from the cage, stumbling as she did so.

“Is this yours?” Trixie asked, holding the sword in an aura of magic. “Trixie almost hurt herself on it.”

“Yeah,” Cloud managed. She took the sword away from Trixie and sheathed it.

Trixie looked around. “I will save us, never fear.” She sounded contemptuous and fearless, but Cloud knew better. She could hear the almost-paralyzing fear in Trixie’s voice, as hidden as it was.

Trixie put a foreleg around Cloud’s neck, and lowered her head. Blue magic swirled around her horn, and Cloud found her head spinning again as a flash of light blinded her. Blinking, Cloud saw they were out of the pit, which was a few meters behind them now.

“Trixie knows her magic well,” the unicorn said with a haughty flip of her mane.

“Magic’s good and all, but what good is it right now?” Cloud looked around. The shadows were lengthening, which meant night was falling. At night the demons would likely return here to seek their dinner. It wouldn’t be a good idea to stay behind. “We need to get out of here.”

“I had heard…” Trixie shook her head. “No, that’s an old mare’s tale.”

Cloud, checking herself for her crystal, looked up. “What is?”

“Well, I had heard the crystal ponies in the north created some kind of… sanctuary, I suppose. Somewhere to escape this horrible place. Accessible only by a certain kind of crystal.” She looked away with a sad frown. “If only she were here… Twilight Sparkle would know better than me.”

Finding the crystal, Cloud produced it. “A crystal like this?”

Trixie’s gaze went over the crystal a few times. “Possibly… Trixie doesn’t know much about crystals but maybe.” Magic crackled around her horn and around the crystal. After a few moments, she spoke again. “Yes, Trixie feels an enchantment. Shall we?”

Cloud put a foreleg around Trixie’s neck. “I don’t see another way,” she said.

The magic around the crystal brightened–

There was a great flash–

And the two opened their eyes. Around them was a fancifully decorated hall, as clean as one could hope for. Their reflections stared back at them from the floor.

They had made it to the Sanctuary.