• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 3,314 Views, 60 Comments

Trixie's Plot - AdrianJNovelle



There are reasons why The Great and Powerful Trixie chooses to wear an informal - and admittedly childish - cape which covers her flank. These reasons remained concealed...until now.

  • ...
13
 60
 3,314

Chapter 4 - The Final Confession

Twilight knocked on the door to her parents' house in Canterlot, Trixie in hiding by crouching under the window against the wall.

"Yes? Oh, hello, Twilie!" He gave his daughter a hug. "What brings you to Canterlot?"

"Dad...can we talk...in private?" Twilight asked.

"Um...sure," Mr. Sparkle suddenly started to lose enthusiasm as he slowly backed away into his home to make room for Twilight to enter. "Right this way."

"Hey, Twilie!" Mrs. Sparkle greeted her beloved daughter.

"Hey, Mom," she greeted back, with less enthusiasm.

Mr. Sparkle and his daughter entered the master bedroom, Mr. Sparkle closing the door behind him as to make sure no words left the room and reached the large ears of Twilight's mother.

"What is it you wanted to talk to me about?" he asked.

"I know about Trixie," was all Twilight had to say.

Mr. Sparkle's pupils shrunk in his giant eyes.

"She's right outside," Twilight continued. "I didn't want Mom to see her: I wanted you to see her first."

"I...you know?"

"I know everything, Dad."

"How do you?"

"You raised a smart daughter...or, should I say, two smart daughters. And an honest son."

Mr. Sparkle grunted. "I knew I should've blanked Shining Armor when I had the chance!"

"Shh!" Twilight put her hoof to her mouth. "That would've been the wrong thing to do. You did the right thing by trusting him. Trixie and I connected the dots, and all Shining Armor and Princess Cadence did was tell us the truth instead of pussyfooting with us. I would've felt greatly disrespected by my elders if they had not told me and Trixie what we wanted to hear."

Mr. Sparkle sighed. "Your mom can never know about Trixie."

"I think she has too, Dad...if she hears about all the sacrifices you made, and all you went through to make sure Trixie was safe and healthy and happy and that you felt guilty about her birth despite how much you love her...I think she will be accepting of it. Trixie and I were accepting because we were confronted and told the truth when we asked for it. Mom will never ask for it. You'll have to bring the truth to her. But I know Mom. She raised me - you raised me. I think it's in her best interest to know."

Mr. Sparkle considered it, but he was still quite hesitant. He shook his head. "How would I break it to her, Twilight?"

"Just don't say anything: let Trixie do the talking. She's a wonderful pony - beyond all the insanity she obtained from her foster family - and I'm sure she will minimize the pain you'll feel by letting Mom know that you fornicated."

"Well...it's just that I-"

"Sh-sh-sh-sh...don't think about anything. Just let Trixie spill it to her, and have her do the talking. Jump in when you know the time is right."

Mr. Sparkle still had doubts about this. But he knew that his daughter would persist if he did not give in. "Alright," he said. "May I go see Trixie first?"

"She's right outside."

Mr. Sparkle and Twilight left the bedroom, Twilight going to visit her mother for a moment as Mr. Sparkle exited the house to greet Trixie.

"Oh~" he began. "Look how much you've grown!"

"Hey...Dad," Trixie mumbled, not used to addressing this particular man as 'Dad.'

Mr. Sparkle gave Trixie a warm hug. "I've missed you so much, Trixie."

"I missed you too, Dad."

"Now, there's someone else you have to meet...Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Mr. Sparkle took a deep breath, and then he and his firstborn daughter reentered the house. There was Mrs. Sparkle and Twilight seated together on the couch at the far end of the living room.

"Twilight," Mrs. Sparkle began. "Who's your friend?"

"This is Trixie," Mr. Sparkle answered for his daughter. "And she's...more than just Twilight's friend."

"Oh? How's that now?"

Mr. Sparkle sighed. "Do you remember your trip from way back when?"

"You mean my business trip?"

Mr. Sparkle nodded.

"Well...while you were gone...this little filly came into my life."

Mrs. Sparkle did not reply.

"My name is Trixie Lulamoon," Trixie began. "I was conceived with another mare while you were away. My father feels extremely guilty for what he did while you were gone. He made sure I was a happy, healthy foal, but then gave me up to a foster family. I spent most of my life with them. I don't even remember being this stallion's child. But I am fortunate to be his daughter. I know I would not have received such a pleasant fate from a pony who tells me that I was nothing but a mistake."

"I feel terribly about it," continued Mr. Sparkle. "I spent all this time living in fear that you would one day stumble upon the truth...my daughters have convinced me that it is better that I just say it right to your face: I cheated on you - once and only once - while you were off in Manehattan...I know I won't ever receive your forgiveness, but-"

Mrs. Sparkle raised a hoof, and rose from the couch. She approached her husband, but spoke not a word.

"Are you mad at me?"

Mrs. Sparkle shook her head. "I'm not mad."

"Are you disappointed? 'Cause I've learned that-"

Mrs. Sparkle shook her head again. "I'm not disappointed, either." She sighed under her breath. "I was gone for...how long?"

"Months and months..." Mr. Sparkle paused. "Three years."

"I was gone for far too long. You know, I quit that job at the risk of throwing this family into debt because I was so frustrated of how demanding my job was to you and Shining Armor. You were lonely, you missed me, and you got so used to being alone that you did the unthinkable. But...I have to forgive you...because I know that if I don't...you won't forgive me...for what I have put you through."

Tears trickled down the cheeks of both ponies, as they united in a hug.

"I'm sorry, Dearie."

"Me too, Sweetie, me too."

It was a long moment before they retracted their hug and kissed. Mr. Sparkle's spirit suddenly returned to him, now that his secret was out and his wife was fine knowing that she was cheated on. And Mrs. Sparkle was fine having finally apologized to her husband, and repaying the debt she desperately seeked to repay since she took her extended business trip to Manehattan.

"Now," she said, turning to Trixie. "You're my husband's daughter?"

Trixie nodded. "I am, Mrs. Sparkle."

"Oh, please, call me Mom."

"I am...Mom." Trixie blushed.

"You are one beautiful little foal," she said warmly.

Trixie smiled. "Thank you."

"And I am honored to call you my daughter, even though I am not the mare who birthed you. You may have been a mistake biologically, but your inaguration into the Sparkle family is no mistake to me."

Trixie's smile grew.

Mrs. Sparkle returned to her husband. "I just have one question, though."

"What is it, Sweetheart?"

"How did Trixie get the surname Lulamoon?"

"Lulamoon was her mother's mareden name: Luna Lulamoon. Probably explains why her cutie mark looks like a crescent moon."

"Well, not anymore. Now, Trixie, you are Trixie Sparkle."

Twilight lunged to Trixie in a hug. "Welcome to the family, Trixie!"

Trixie Sparkle Trixie thought to herself. Yeah, I like the sound of that. Indeed I do.

Author's Note:

*Mareden in case you couldn't tell, pony-talk for maiden.

Comments ( 34 )

Well, that was.....anti-climatic. You need to expand the story a little more in my opinion.

Wait, her mother was Luna? How is this not a big deal? Why does Mrs. Sparkle just immediately accept her husbands confession with neither shock nor disgust? Why isn't Trixie insulted at constantly being being called a mistake? Why do I ask so many questions? What is the average airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? And why is the story progressing so quickly?!

1907680 It's not supposed to be very climatic. The sheer strength of this story comes from its emotional charge presented with the conflicts of the characters. Not the presentation of the story itself.

I won't lie I was expecting a I already Knew.

WAIT A FREAKING MINUTE! LUNA LULAMOON!? Are you refering to or beloved princess of the night?

Her sister? -------->:trollestia:

if you are or arnt id greatly appreciate your insight on that. On the whole... i now have a few more episodes to re-watch.

1913783 That is mere coincidence. The Great and Apologetic Trixie is not related to Canterlot/Equestrian Royalty (as far as we know). And Twilight is only related by marriage as of "A Canterlot Wedding." Thus, the Luna mentioned in the story is not our beloved Princess Luna, but simply another pony with the same first name. Let's just say if the Luna was Princess Luna, Mr. Sparkle would've had his plot kicked pretty hard. And a lot more difficulty would have been present than what was already mentioned in the story.

"I think she has too, Dad...if she hears about all the sacrifices you made, and all you went through to make sure Trixie was safe and healthy and happy and that you felt guilty about her birth despite how much you love her...I think she will be accepting of it.

"Just don't say anything: let Trixie do the talking. She's a wonderful pony - beyond all the insanity she obtained from her foster family - and I'm sure she will minimize the pain you'll feel by letting Mom know that you fornicated."

Twilight has no clue how the real world works. Her dad cheated on her mom. She won't give a rats ass about any 'sacrifices' he made to 'make sure Trixie was safe, health and happy'. She will focus on the fact that he lied to her all these years.

Middle part, throws the 'good foster home' theory into the crapper.

I'm sorry, but that line is funny. :rainbowlaugh: You didnt have any problem having her brother call Trixie a 'bastard' child. So why can't you just say, the old man had an affair?

But I am fortunate to be his daughter. I know I would not have received such a pleasant fate from a pony who tells me that I was nothing but a mistake.

No Trixie you aren't. You never got the same opportunities as Twilight. But then the way everyone just accepts it, with no hard feelings. Maybe you're better off. If I had to guess, that whole family is addicted to snacking on paint chips.

One would hope that, what wasn't documented in the story, is Trixie getting a check with a buttload of zeros on it.
Then use some of it, to hire a hitpony. To delete everyone who either used the term 'bastard' or 'mistake' in any way shape or form. :trixieshiftleft:

And given the same kind of chances to excel in life that Twilight got. Since she was pretty much screwed by a two timing, child abusing, dead-beat father.

1920204 I know if anything for that reason Mr. Sparkle got out easy for covering up his tracks. Meanwhile Trixie was living her own life whatever way possible not getting the same benefits as Twilight. Seriously, that is not cool. The story needed a bigger conflict, if I was Mrs. Sparkle, I'd be super pissed. Not, "oh I'm so sorry for being away for so long." Lady, it was your choice to go out on your job to help benefit your family, but it was also your husbands choice to fool around like unfaithfully.

If anything, the story could have did away with the Mr. Sparkle trying to cover his tracks and just seem like they were out one day when Trixie was a baby and got lost or kidnapped, never saw her ever again until this point.

I know the show/story is about ponies, sunshines, rainbows, sugar and farts but come on:facehoof:

1921092 I don't remember there being farts :rainbowhuh:

1922061 Farts=The Whole Kitten Caboodle or also, "and all that good stuff"

good story. i liked it. it was very interesting.:twilightsmile:

1923806 Thank you! Thank God somepony appreciates my efforts! :pinkiesmile:

It certainly is a unique way of how Twilight and Trixie are protrayed....I did like it. Well done. :raritystarry:

So mr.sparkle + princess Luna = :trixieshiftleft:???????

1926131 The Luna in the story is not Princess Luna, just another mare with the same name.

This needs to be canon. I DEMAND IT HASBRO! Imma headcanon this, but I think i'll keep Lulamoon as Trixie's last name:raritywink:

2131385 Twilight's birth was not necessarily spawned from guilt; more specifically, it was simply the time of her birth. Her existence was inevitable. But Mr. Sparkle's guilt acted as a catalyst.

Admittedly this isn't the best written story and it breaks the 'show not tell' rule, but I'm liking and favouriting it anyways simply because you've managed to shape my new headcannon. Congratulations.

2316233 Are you saying that Novelle dun't know how to show, friend? :trixieshiftright:

2316273 Pretty much. Particularly in the third chapter which was almost entirely exposition.

2316291 Well, yeah: it's flashback. And not even what I call "narrative" flashback, which is like the difference between dialogue and no dialogue in a work. Narrative flashbacks have dialogue; expository flashbacks - such as this one - don't. It's hard for anyone to show in expository anything, even stuff like an essay. Ironically, I find showing in an essay easier. :rainbowhuh:

I've already admitted to everypony that I suck at writing fanfiction. In addition, this is a (no pun intended) fire-work: written with great expedition because I knew if I didn't act fast, I'd be accused of plagarisim by the time I get my work done. And because fire-work sounds 20% cooler than "speed-work." :rainbowwild:

2316529 Wait, why would you be accused of plagiarism?

2316606 Because the Brony community is the fastest-responding community in the world. If I have an idea for a fanfiction - especially one which is derived from the show itself, such as Trixie's Plot - it is very likely that somepony else has already written it up and published it. Thus, I'd be accused of stealing another's ideas, i.e. plagarisim. I, of course, never have intentions of doing so, and that's one of the reasons why I don't have more stories written, because I don't want to accidentally plagarize and have Fimfiction mad at me. So, when the iron's hot, I strike. And, many times, I also get an idea for a fanfiction, and it sounds cool in my head, but the I get it down on the screen and I'm like, "Now what?" In Holy Maretrimony is a victim of this unfortunate paradigm.

2316718 Ideas get reused so often that I don't think anyone even cares about plagiarism anymore. Seriously, I think I've seen about 150 fics about Lyra's obsession with hands. shudder

2318824 Lack of originality is most definitely the most terrifying thing to ever happen to the fandom.

2318834 Agreed. But that's why we use the greatest invention of all time: imagination. :pinkiegasp: It created the show itself, and it's what created the millions of fanfiction already in existence, and the millions more to inevitably come. :scootangel:

2318903 Actually, the greatest invention of all time is oral sex. Imagination is a close second though.

2318978 If you say so. I prefer the classic approach :raritywink:

Hmm, very interesting premise. Trixie and Twilight being separated siblings would be an interesting idea.

The execution could have been better, though. For one, it feels extremely rushed. There's a lot of buildup that you just skipped. Twilight is very quick to latch on to the idea that identical cutiemarks means a family relationship, given how no families she knows of have more than the occasional similar themes (like the Apples). The whole thing felt like you wanted to rush to the ending without letting the parts in between develop properly. There's also, as another poster mentioned, a lot of exposition.

Then there's the characterisations. By which I mean there's not much. Trixie has had a very harrowing experience that more or less turned her worldview upside down, yet she has no problems letting Twilight - whom she, at best, considers to be not such a bad pony after all, and at worst, still her rival - drag her around on a wild goose chase, she is being very unexpectedly nice, and she's extremely accepting of her new family that she neither knew or needed a day earlier. It's very sweet, yes, but that's not quite the reaction I'd have if a group of strangers suddenly showed up, said they were my family, and that I was one of them now. Even if Trixie cares little for her adoptive family, she still thought they were her real one.

And Twilight's dad... yeah, no. He's getting off far too easy for his philandering, lying and memory-tampering. As an adult male, I can say with conviction that he holds all responsibility for straying. Not his wife. A man does not need sex so badly that he can discard his responsibility and his wedding oaths just because his wife is away for a long time. She should at least have been a bit disappointed about his misconduct. As it is, she forgives him immediately and implies she's to blame instead.

All in all, A for intent, a lesser grade for execution. Not bad, but it could have been carried out better.

I did however find Twilight's repeated potshots at the whole 'Trixie flees into the Everfree and lives in humiliated desolation' cliche very entertaining. It's an overused one, so it was fun to see Twilight pointing it out.

2644658 I'd normally respond with my famous, paranoid motto, but anyone who puts that much effort in a comment should deserve more than a dismissve reply. In lieu of my paranoia, I would like to admit that, as you can see by the dates of publication, this was a "speed-write" and is the second-fastest-written fanfiction I've produced, beaten only by The Legend of Derpy. That was intentional, since the inspiration for this story came from a fanart I saw, and if there's a fanart, then a fanfiction explaining it couldn't be far behind. Well, I wanted to be the one to explain it. So I started conjuring up an explanation, got busy on the keyboard, and finished ASAP. Because it's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fanfiction, and thus, relative to the Brony community, you know you have to act fast. And, of course, I act super fast because I'm paranoid about my work and copyright (being lack thereof). So, that is a contributing factor towards why I aimed so heavily at finishing it promptly. In fact, that might be the only factor: let's have Mrs. Sparkle be all romantic rather than have a family feud about Mr. Sparkle's philandering shenanigans. I guess the only other factor there is could be that the point of all my fanfiction (up until Counterclockwise where things got serious) was to be both true to the show (in which this fanfiction somewhat defies that, unfortunately), and to be just a fun little story about ponies...Then I wrote Counterclockwise and sort of have diverged from that thought process. I no longer restrict myself of staying so true to the show, it's like an unpublished episode. Trixie's Plot is part of the pre-Counterclockwise era, and so, it's not a completely...Novellian story. And, like I tell everypony who critiques me: fanfiction is not my best subject, even if it's a show I know as well as Friendship is Magic.

THEY"RE SISTERS...YYYAAAYYY !!!!

Login or register to comment