• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 718 Views, 13 Comments

Loving Lovers of Love - TheTwientist



A collection of short romance stories, shipping everypony with everypony.

  • ...
1
 13
 718

Both Sides (Rarijack)

The door to Fluttershy's cottage flew open with a bang.


"Cool it, L'il Sis!" said Big Macintosh. "Granny's asleep. You can't come bustin' in here like that!"


"I'm terribly sorry, Fluttershy," said Rarity, "but I'm in trouble."

"Oh no," said Fluttershy as she soothed her angry creatures back to sleep. "Is it bad?"


"Oh, it's real bad," said Applejack. "Don't worry," she went on, cutting off Big Mac's question, "I didn't get in any kind trouble with the law, or pick a fight, or anythin' like that."


"So then what's the problem?" asked Fluttershy.


Applejack opened her mouth, then paused. "Huh, I dunno where to start." She thought for a moment. "Okay. Well, it happened this morning."


Rarity sat down, sighed, and continued, "Applejack showed up at the boutique at about ten o'clock. Surprising, I know. But it seems she actually wanted to get a proper dress. I could barely believe it!"


"I didn't want to go," said Applejack, "but you know we've plannin' to visit the Oranges, and I didn't want to show up looking too ratty. Wanted to make a good impression, y'know."

Big Mac nodded, and waited for her to continue.

"So I tell Rarity that I want a dress, and I can tell she doesn't scarce think it's possible. But I just wait for her to get going, and soon enough she starts hunting around her store for a dress."


"I was thrilled, naturally. A pony like her wanting to wear some nice clothes! It was the oppourtunity of a lifetime! I hoped, perhaps, to make a true convert out of her, and teach her the value of high fashion!"

"I started taking a few measurements, so I could know what size to look for. I must say, Applejack has a . . . ahem, surprisingly good figure. I mean-"

She broke off. There was an uncomfortable silence as Fluttershy stared at her in confusion.


"So, anyway," said Applejack brusquely, ignoring her brother's questioning eye, "she finished with my measurements, and heads off to get a dress. It was boring for me, really. There wasn't nothin' to do but stand around while Rarity went all over the place lookin' for something nice. It musta taken her twenty minutes to find something."


"Oh, you must see it!" Rarity almost squealed, her eyes lighting up. "Words can't do it justice; it's a lovely thing, not too heavy or frilly. Pretty expensive silk, too, but I knew I could find sompeony who could wear it perfectly! Who'd have thought it would have been Applejack?"


"She wanted me to get it on right away so she could see how it fit. I wasn't too keen on it, but I could see she really wanted me to wear it. So I shrugged and let her pull it on."


"And if that dress has one flaw, it's that the fabric's too delicate to be pulled on with magic. I had to help Applejack fit it by hoof."

Rarity was visibly starting to fidget now.

"And the neckhole's rather tight . . ."


Applejack refused to look her bother in the eyes as she started to stammer, "W-well, she was pulling, and I was pushing, and I couldn't go too hard, 'cause she said I might tear it, and I thought I'd never get it over my head, but I did. A-and my head popped out, and she was right there, a-and, w-we sorta-"


"We kissed." Rarity nearly blurted the words.

Fluttershy's jaw dropped. "I'm sorry-"


"what!?" demanded Big Mac.

Applejack smiled wanly. "I told you it was bad."


"So Applejack kissed you?" asked Fluttershy in alarm.

"Well, not exactly," said Rarity.


"I can't rightly say who kissed who," said Applejack. "We were just lookin' at each other, and then it just sorta . . . happened."

"That's crazy," said Big Mac, to himself as much as Applejack. "You and her . . . that's just crazy. Why'd you do it?"


"I don't know!" said Rarity with alarm. "I just don't know! This morning I could honestly tell you that I had never thought about Applejack in any sort of romantic context before, but now I can't stop thinking about how strong and beautiful and kind she is . . ."


"-And how she's so elegant and graceful and smart," said Applejack, her head hanging low. "And I ain't got any idea why! What's happening to me?"

Big Mac nodded. "Well, maybe it was just something you did without thinkin'."


"Completely spontaneous," offered Fluttershy. "On the other hoof, maybe it means that you and her . . ." she broke off, too amazed by the concept to even consider it.


"What matters now is what you do about it," said Big Mac. "You can forget it, or . . . not."

"But I ain't even got to the worst part!" cried Applejack.


"Oh dear," said Fluttershy. "It gets worse?"

"Oh yes," said Rarity. "You see, we talked about it, and . . ."

"I'm meeting her for dinner!"

Author's Note:

Here, have some spontaneous romance. I don't know if this even makes sense, it's just an idea I wanted to try out. I hope the style doesn't make it too confusing.