• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 5,104 Views, 7 Comments

Above The Clouds - TwinkleSparkle

  • ...
9
 7
 5,104

A Love brighter than the moon


The day was a totally a normal day in the calm town of Ponyville. The cyan captain of the weather team was preparing herself for a new day of work. She had finished training in the Wonderbolts Academy. The last words the captain of the Wonderbolts said still rang in her ears. Every day she opened her mailbox, waiting for the big news to come
So, as her daily habit, she opened her mailbox. She started going through the mail with her usual eagerness. Then she saw a letter that had a seal that she knew very well. Rainbow gave the letter a look of hope, fear and worry. She opened the letter and started reading slowly. Her eyes widening with every word she read.

Dear Rainbow Dash,

This letter is sent to you after the analysis of your records in the time you spent in the Academy. An essential thing that we should do after seeing your remarkable talent is to consider the possibility that you join the Wonderbolts.

However, we have to put you in a two month training period. The training will be at the Wonder Bolt Academy. You will have full accommodations, and would have the same training that the Wonderbolts members had to see if you’re really the mare for the job.

Your training starts next week. We expect you to be at the academy at 9:00 AM. Being late for that time will be considered as a full decline for the job. We really hope that you accept this offer. We really hope that you’d show us what we expect from you.

Sincerely,

Spitfire, captain of the Wonder Bolts.

Rainbow stared at the letter for a while in a state of total shock. She was still trying to comprehend the words written on the letter in her hooves, convincing herself that this was solid reality. After she recovered from her astonishment, something that took her some time to do, she gave a loud cry of joy as she leaped a few feet from the ground. She flew to the library in top speed, slamming the door open as usual. A scene that distracted Twilight, making her drop the stack of books she was holding with her aura

"TWILIGHTTWILIGHTTWILIGHHHHHHHHHHT." Rainbow Dash Yelled in a very enthusiastic way.

"Hey Rainbow Dash, what is it?" Twilight said as she picked up the books she had dropped.

"Spitfire sent me a letter this morning." Rainbow said, still really excited.

"Well," Twilight said, realizing the reason for Dash’s excitement. "What was in it?"

"She sent me an offer to join the Wonderbolts." Rainbow said, still really excited.

"REALLY?” Twilight said, becoming excited as well.

"That's what the letter said. But I need to spend a two month training period before becoming an official member."

"That’s wonderful. I'm really happy for you.”
“Thanks Twi.”

“So, when will you go?"

"They expect me to be there next week.”

"That's amazing. I must tell all the girls about this wonderful news. SPIKE.”

"Yes Twi?" Spike said.

"Rainbow is going to be a Wonderbolt soon." Twilight said in an excited tone.

"Really!" Spike yelled enthusiastically.

"Yeah." Rainbow said.

"That's awesome." Spike said. "I'm sure that you'll do great."

"Thanks Spike." Rainbow said. "I really hope that I give them what they want."

"Of course you will." Twilight said. "You're the best young flyer in Equestria."

"But still." Rainbow said. "These are the Wonderbolts, The elite, the best of the best in Equestria."

"I'm sure you'll do just fine." Spike said.

"I need you to go to Rarity, Spike." Twilight said. "Then go to Sugar Cube Corner to fetch Pinkie and Flutter. Then meet us at Sweet Apple Acres."

"Consider it done." Spike said as he went through the door.

"What's that all about?" Rainbow said.

"All the girls must know about the news, and you’re going to tell them yourself." Twilight said.

An hour later, the whole pack was in Sweet Apple Acres after the urgent call from Spike. So, making long story short, Dash told the girls the big news and they were all excited for her. Some of them were, apparently, more excited than the others.
Before anypony could realize it, the day of departure had come. All the girls came to say farewell to their friend before she left for her destination. As much as they were all excited for her, they were also a tad sad for her being away for such a long time.

"We’re going to really miss you darling." Rarity said in her usual dramatic way.

"Y’all do just fine." Applejack Said. “Ya just go and show ‘em what yer made of."

"Don't forget to write." Pinkie said in the middle of a hysterical crying.

"We all wish you the best, and will miss you greatly." Fluttershy said.

"Thank you guys,” Rainbow said. "I really appreciate it."

"We all know you'll do your best." Twilight said.

"I hope so. Well, I gotta go now. Don' wanna be late on my first day."

They all gave Rainbow a big hug as she put on her saddle bag. And she took the wind with the greatest velocity yelling a bye that faded quickly. The girls stared at the place of their friend in the sky with a little smile which had the mixed feelings of excitement, sadness and hope for her to achieve what she wanted.

The thoughts in the Cyan pegasus’ head were racing faster than the flapping rate of her wings. She is already missing her friends. But she is as excited about this opportunity as a little filly in a candy shop. She just can't wait to fly side by side with her idols. Not just that. She would also fulfill her dream as an official member of the Wonderbolts. The dream she had since she was just a little filly. Before she even realized it, she was already at the entrance of the Wonderbolts headquarters. With Spitfire and the rest of the Wonder Bolt's team waiting for her.

"Right on time,” Spitfire said in her usual professional tone. “That’s a very good first impression.”

"Hey, Spitfire,” Rainbow said, trying her best to look cool and not burst in a squeak of enthusiasm. “I just didn’t want you to think I declined your offer.”

"Well then, I welcome you for the second time Rainbow Dash, this time in the Wonderbolts headquarters. We’re really pleased to see you here. So, without further ado, let me introduce you to the rest of the team."

Spitfire led her to the rest of the team members, who were standing in a straight line.

"Soarin." Spit fire started. Soarin replied with a simple nod. Rainbow did the same. And it was much the same for the rest as Spit Fire continued. "Blaze, Fire Streak, Fleetfoot, High Winds,Misty Fly."

"Well, I don’t mean to interrupt you." Rainbow said. “But where's Silver Lining?”

"Silver Lining had a terrible accident which forced him to retire." Spit Fire explained. "And that's why we considered you as the finest pony to take his place."

"I'm really sorry to hear that." Rainbow said. "And I assure you that I won't let you down."

"We're sure of that." Spitfire said. "You should go and get some rest. The next training session will start in three hours."

"Thanks, Spitfire." Rainbow said as she headed to her room.

After having some sleep. Rainbow woke up to the noise of her alarm. Slowly opening her eyes, she got out of her bed and took a quick shower. Then she opened the wardrobe to find the uniform of The Wonderbolts waiting for her. She stood for a while, admiring the elastic suit for a while before she took it in her hooves. She gave out a few squeaks of excitement as she wore the uniform, still not really believing that she was wearing the uniform of her dreams. Then she went to the mirror hanging on the opposite wall. She stared in her image for a while. Still not believing what had happened in the past several hours.

"I can't believe it." She said to herself. "My dream came true at last. Look at me. I'm wearing the outfit of The Wonderbolts. And going to fly and train with them. This is AWESOME."

She looked at the clock on her wall. “Well, this is it." She said as she went through the door. She looked at the clear sky, took a deep breath of the fresh warm air. Then she took off with top speed to reach the training grounds just on time.

"Precise timing, as always." Spitfire said to the landing Rainbow Dash.

“Well, I'm trying." Rainbow said with a little smile.

Spit Fire smiled back. Then she yelled to the rest of the team. "Alright team. Gather up right now."

The other ponies obeyed quickly. They stood straight in one line in front of the two Pegasi. Rainbow, astonished with how quick, precise, and disciplined the ponies were, joined with the others at the terminal left side of the line.

"Firstly, we would like to welcome Rainbow Dash to her first training session with a little warm up of 1500 laps. READY. GO."

They all took off together in a single leap and started lapping the training course together with the same speed. Rainbow had some problems maintaining her speed to stay in the line. But she managed it at the 130th lap. Even though she couldn’t get herself to the top speed, she felt really excited to fly with them that she didn't feel the 1500 laps finish and made 2 more laps by mistake. Realizing what she did, she landed with a little blush in her face.

The rest of the session passed like minutes for Rainbow. They went on a few rounds on the dizzitron. Then they started some acrobatic coordination exercises where Rainbow made some mistakes, which was acceptable as she wasn't really familiar with the routine yet. Spitfire gave her a lot of advises, which came from her in the form of harsh commands. Rainbow, with grace and dignity, took the advices by making faces to Spitfire from her back that let out some laughs from the rest of the team.

After the training, they headed to the cafeteria to dine. They talked about the routine. Some of them mentioned some suggestions of new tricks or to adjust the existing pattern. Rainbow gave some comments and suggestions here and there. Some gained the laughing of the team with some jokes and little laughs. But Soarin gave Rainbow a different look than the others. He gave her a look of strange attention, which Rainbow didn't really notice. After a short time, they all headed out to hit the hay and prepare for the next day.

Before going to her room, however, Rainbow went for a walk under the moonlight. Luna had just raised this glamorous full moon which illuminated the sky, completing the glamorous sight with those little clouds that made it look like a beautiful painting. This night which reminded her of night in Ponyville made her thoughts drift to her friends. Even though she only left them for hours. She missed them very much. And she didn't know how she would complete the next couple of months without them. But her thoughts were cut by the sound of wings flapping over her head.

"Rainbow Dash." a sound said, making Rainbow look over her head.

"Spitfire." Rainbow Exclaimed. “Hey.”

"Can I join you for a while?” Rainbow replied with a nod as Spitfire landed beside her.

"I thought you would be in your room by now.” Spitfire said. “You made a huge effort today."

"Nah, it was nothing. I make more effort in my usual training."

"Well, that’s good to hear, because today was just a little warm up."

"And I'm ready. No need to worry about that." Rainbow said with a little grin.

“That’s the spirit.” Spitfire said and Rainbow replied with raising her chin up high

"Listen, I wanted to apologize for giving you a hard time at training."

"No need, I made mistakes and I came here to learn. Also you did that with all the team"

"Well, I just wanted you to know that I'm not always like that. And I want you to think of me as your friend. Not your captain."

"Okay." Rainbow said, feeling a bit relaxed, but she couldn’t relieve the anxiety that she was feeling.

"So, I was thinking about your suggestions at dinner."

"It was just a silly suggestion."

"No, I think it's brilliant. But won't it be difficult to make such a rotation?"

"Not if you fly at a speed of 250 mph then according to the angle of inclination of the wing. It will be a piece of cake."

Spit Fire tapped her chin. As she calculated the possibilities of what Rainbow said. "Well, well. You're absolutely right. This is genius. A bit risky, but genius"

Rainbow flushed a little as she scratched the back of her head. "It's just basic aerodynamics, nothing much."

"I've seen your school reports. You aced in Aerodynamics and physics as well as flying techniques and anatomy."

"Who? Me? Nonononono, There must be a mistake. I'm only an athlete. I’m not an egghead."

"But these reports came straight from the flight school in Cloudsdale. This can't be........ Oh! Now I get it."

"Get what?" Rainbow said, raising her eyebrow.

"You don't want anypony to know about your grades so they don’t think of you as an egghead."

"Well, that’s true. But could you please not tell anypony."

"Don't worry. Nopony will know. It’s going to be our little secret."

"Thanks." Rainbow said as she gave a simple sight of relief. "Well, I must hit the hay."

"Me too, we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

"Yeah, I know. Well, Goodnight."

"Goodnight." Spitfire Said, then she turned once more. "Oh! One more thing."

"What is it?" Rainbow said.

"If you want to start making faces to me, don’t do it behind my back."

“What the-"

“Did you think that I wouldn’t know?”

“Okay, you got me again. I’m really sorry.” Rainbow said, blushing.

"No worries." Said Spitfire as she gave her a small smile and took off.

A week had passed, every day was the same as the one before. Breakfast, then training, then lunch, then training, then dinner, then a good chatting with the team, then heading to bed, it was a single routine that each member of the Wonderbolts go through daily.

However, things had changed between Rainbow Dash and Soarin. They started talking more. Spending some private time together and having a nice chat. Also they trained together more than once, which made him know the young mare more.

One day after dinner. Soarin decided to collect his courage, and went to Rainbow Dash and walked next to her.

"Hey Dash, good job today."

"Gee, thanks. You were awesome too Soarin."

"Thanks."

A moment of awkward silence had passed and was cut out by Soarin saying “So, What you’ll you do now??"

“Nothing much, I'll just go for little walk as always."

"Mind if I joined you?"

"No, not at all"

Soarin nodded and stepped next to her, they started walking when he started speaking, trying his best to fill the moments of silence.
"I must really congratulate you on the new stunt you added to the routine.” Soarin said. “It's brilliant and will give a great credit to the team."

"Oh, stop it. It's nothing really." Rainbow said as she was trying to hide a blush. “You mastered it as if you were doing it all your life.”

"Yeah, it needs some precision. But easy to handle."

"Yeah, you're right." Rainbow said while looking in the sky.

"Whatcha thinking about?"

"I really miss the girls back there in Ponyville."

"You seem to be really close from the way to spoke about them to me, I mean, to us."

"Well, they're really more than sisters to me. They're always there when I need help. We had the biggest of laughs. And we shared the greatest of adventures. We got together through the toughest moments as well as the best moments. "

"Yeah, I know that feeling."

"Did you also part from your friends?"

"I almost parted from them a couple of years ago. I had an accident which tore out the muscles of my wings. The doctors said I might not be able to fly again. It didn't bother me much that I wouldn't be able to fly. As what really made me frustrated and miserable is the possibility of me parting away from this team."

"Aha, so your friends are this team."

"This team is my whole life. They’re basically my family."

"And love."

"What do you mean?" Soarin said, looking confused.

"Well, I've noticed how close you and Spitfire are. So I thought there was something going on between you two."

"What?" Soarin said with a little giggle. "No, you got it all wrong. Spitfire is my best friend. We have nothing but very strong friendship between us."

"Oh!" Rainbow said, mentally facehoofing herself. "I must have jumped into conclusions, sorry Soarin."

"Nah, it’s alright. A lot of ponies actually have the same thoughts when they see me and Spitfire. So we got used to it."

"So you're not upset or something."

"Nan, it’s cool." Said Soarin, remaining silent for a little bit. Then he said. "So, what about you? Do you have a special somepony."

"Nah," Rainbow said. "I'm not really into this whole romantic stuff."

"So you've never had a special somepony."

"Well, of course not, I dated some ponies back when I was in flight school. All didn't up well."

"Why?"

"Most of the colts I dated were scumbags. They only cared about being with me for their social image, and sometimes getting me to the bed."

"I see. And now you're free I suppose."

"Yeah, I am." She said with a strange look on her face. "Why are you asking me these questions anyway?"

"Nothing really? I just wanted to know more about my new teammate, that's all."

"Okay. ~"

With this word the two pegasi reached Rainbow's room. They looked at each other's for a moment. They looked straight in each other’s eyes. They said nothing, like they were trying to read each other's minds.

"Well," Said Rainbow. "I think I should go."

"Right." Soarin said, still looking into her eyes.

"Well. See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, Good night."

"Good night." Rainbow said as she closed the door of her room.

She went to her room. And Sat there thinking about Soarin and that strange conversation they just had. A lot of things had occurred to her mind. But she still couldn't get to the obvious fact that he might have some feelings for her. Or maybe she knew but didn't want to think about it. She kept thinking until she got wore out and driven to a good sleep.

Another couple of weeks had passed. Things had never been the same since that night when Soarin and Rainbow had their little chat. Soarin tried a lot to get Rainbows attention. Rainbow, on the other hoof, started to realize that Soarin had feelings for her. She may not be the romantic type, but she is also not dumb. So, she decided to let everything take its course and not to rush anything.

The days had passed as Soarin tried to get close to Rainbow as much as possible. She found it rather cute that he gave her that much attention. She also thought about how charming he was when he gave a wink or a compliment. Also how he got angry if any stallion gave her just a simple greeting. But these things made her resolve her own side or the relationship, and she had a good idea about how she was feeling about Soarin.

Then, one night, everything had changed. The starting was at the time when Rainbow was just having her usual chat with Spitfire after having dinner.

"So, don’t you think that you’re giving the colt a little bit of a hard time?” Spitfire said

"No I don’t." Rainbow Dash said giggling a little. “And I’ll keep it like this until he comes clean to me.”

"But, didn’t you tell me that you like him too?"

"I may have the hots for him. But it’s better if he comes to me.”

"I don't really get your point."

"It's a matter of pride. If he really likes me, he should come and tell me straight to my face."

"What if he didn't? You know how shy Soarin is."

She was right. Soarin is one of the best fliers and had balls of steel in the air. But when it comes to romance he is as shy as a little colt who was asking the love of his life out for the first time of his life.

"He just needs a little push that's all. I'm sure he will come eventually."

"Umm. H-hey ladies." Soarin said as he passed in front of them.

"Hey, Soarin." Spitfire Said. And Rainbow Dash replied with a simple nod.

"C-can I speak to Rainbow privately for a moment?" Soarin said. With a face that had more red than blue in it.

"Why do you want to speak to her privately?" Spitfire said with a little grin.

"I just want to say something to her." Soarin said, his face turning violet with embarrassment.

"Sure. We'll talk later Rainbow." Spit Fire said with a wink.

"Sure thing," Rainbow said. "Bye."

"Bye." Said Spit fire as she walked by Soarin. Then she whispered in the stallion’s ears. "Good luck, charmer." Then she took off.

"So," Said Rainbow. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Well, I ah... I...." Soarin said, trying to form words. But he was in an overdrive of thoughts. “Way to go, Mr. Smooth. You will make her think you’re an idiot.”

"You what?" Rainbow said, trying to maintain a steady compose and not fall on the ground, rolling in laughter.

"We’ve known each other for about a month now, right?”

"Yeah, about a month. It was an awesome month."

“Mmhm, and we had some fun times together.”

“That’s true. We’ve became really good friends in this time.”

"That’s true, but I err-“

“Come on, dude. You look like you’ve just got down from a round on the dizzitrone.”

“I- I just don’t know how exactly to say this.”

“Then I’ll go until you get your mind straight.”

“No, please. I may not get this chance again.”

“I don’t get you.”

“Well, maybe the action will speak better than words.”

“What actions? You’re speaking weird stuff tonight.”

Sorain then looked deep into her eyes, admiring those crimson eyes of hers. He got closer to her face. So close they could feel the warmth of each other's breaths. They stayed in silence for a while, just swimming in each other's eyes. Then suddenly, Soarin made his move and rushed with his lips into Rainbow's with a deep kiss.

Rainbow stayed eyes wide open for a while. She knew that he would attempt something to show her his affection. But she couldn’t predict such a bold move from such a shy personality. Nevertheless, she was happy that her guy came clear, even in such a strange way. She eventually melted in the kiss, wrapped her forelimbs around him. They stayed like that until their call for air overcame them. Then they slowly parted, still holding each other with both their hooves and their wings.

"Well, I guess that was rude of me.”

Rainbow giggled a bit and said. “Well, it was a very bold move.”

“So, what do you say?”

“Wasn’t it obvious?”

“I was just making sure.”

They shared a little giggle that turned into another deep kiss. Then they stayed on the ground, looking at the moon. They admired the beauty and the shine of it. They also looked at each other again deeply into each other's eyes.

"I was afraid that you'll never come." Rainbow said in a very soft voice.

"Well, you know how shy I am.”

“Too shy that I thought you didn’t like me.”

“Well, who said that I like you?”

“What?”

“I love you, Dash.”

“Oh! You made my heart stop for a sec.”

Sorain giggled and said. “I thought you weren’t into romantic stuff.”

“I’d be into anything for you, Soarin.”

They looked again at the sky. The moon shone brighter than ever that night. Everything looked so beautiful right now. The stars looked as if they were celebrating this young couple's love. As if Luna had heard them and seen what happened and wanted to make the whole night the best night for them.

“Dash?”

“Yeah?”

"Do you remember that night two weeks ago?"

"When you asked me if I'm free?"

"Yes."

"I can’t forget it even if I wanted."

"That night I was planning to confess my love to you. But I didn't have the courage. So, after you went to your room. I just kept cursing myself the whole night. But I realized that I really loved you. That wasn't just my imagination."

"You know, I was afraid that you would be like the other stallions I used to date, that you wanted me only because of my looks. But now I’m sure that you’re the only pony that has seen the real me. I'm sure now that you're the one that I can open my heart to."

“You don’t have to fear anymore."

"I know, as long as I’m with you. I won’t fear a thing."

Rainbow rested her head on Sorain’s chest. As he wrapped his wings around her and started stroking her rainbow-colored mane. They stayed without a word, for they didn’t need words to speak. They both felt that they were born again. They felt like the whole universe has melted into nothing. They felt that the only existence was each other. They felt that as long as they had each other, nothing else in the world mattered.

Comments ( 7 )

That seemed a little cheesy at the end.:derpytongue2:

Way too short I guess I'll have to dis like this story:facehoof::fluttercry:

4181388 if you dislike this story... Just remember that I am an American airman, guardian of freedom and justice... Mother Bucker...

I'd have to stay that you did an outstanding job on this one-shot story of yours, but maybe it be a good idea to fix just one sentence in the chapter which happens to be somewhere in the dialogue. And what also should help with the ending, try being more detailed when saying:

They felt like the whole universe has melted into nothing. They felt that the only existence was each other. They felt that as long as they had each other, nothing else in the world mattered.

It be a good idea to work on punctuation in those last few remaining sentences, it should help. Sorry if my feedback is a little undetailed for some reason, maybe I wasn't being specific enough.

~Exorcist Sango

Here! Just take my like! And my fave! Just take it! Take it! :pinkiegasp:

Do you want a cookie?:heart:
Here you go

Login or register to comment