• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 11,324 Views, 293 Comments

There's Something About Twilight Sparkle - Forum Explorer



Twilight miscasts a spell which lands her in the hospital. Afterwards all her friend's reevaluate just how they feel about the purple unicorn.

  • ...
42
 293
 11,324

Chapter 4: Stories and Plans

Applejack cursed as her strategically positioned buckets proved to be positioned in order to avoid every single apple that fell from the tree. With a sigh she bent down and began picking them up one by one with her teeth and depositing them in the buckets. Darn that Twilight Sparkle. This is all her fault. Ever since she got in that accident I haven't been able to think straight. Every time I try to focus on my work, my mind starts thinking of how nice it was that she came out to help despite being injured, how she never stopped trying to help me even without her magic, how smart she is, and how cute she looks she smiles. Gah! I'm doing it again! Applejack thought, shaking her head. She tried to get back to work, but the simple job left her mind with a lot of time to think and she drifted off again.

“Sis?” Big Mac said, moving up.

“Ah'm sorry Big Mac. Ah can't seem to focus on mah work and I bet that's worryin you,” Applejack said.

“Eeyup.”

“Well mah problem is, well, Ah don't know what it is! But Ah keep looking around for Twilight and when Ah can't find her Ah feel all funny. Kinda like Ah'm sad and relieved all at once. Except that when she was here yesterday Ah felt completely different. Ah kept sneaking peaks whenever Ah thought she wasn't lookin and whenever she tried talkin to me Ah'd get all flustered and tongue-tied. Now Ah can't stop thinkin about her and it's affectin mah work.” Applejack said.

“Applejack,” Big Mac said, moving uncomfortably close to Applejack and staring directly into her eyes.

“Yeah? What?” Applejack said, looking puzzled, with her eyes looking straight back.

“Twilight Sparkle.” Big Mac said slowly, watching Applejack closely. Applejack blushed and her eyes started darting away from Big Mac's. He nodded and backed off. “Eeyup, looks like Ah thought right. You're in love sis.”

“What!? Ah can't be in love with Twilight! She's one of mah best friends and a mare to boot!” Applejack exclaimed.

“Being friends isn't a problem, why look at me and Cheerilee. We used to just be good friends, same with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. They've been friends for a long time. Look at them now. Her bein a mare isn't a problem either. Nothing wrong with that.” Big Mac said.

“But I'm not attracted to mares! Never was,” Applejack protested.

“Ah've never seen you interested in anypony before,” Big Mac pointed out.

“That's cause we were always so busy here on the farm. Ah don't have time to deal with such nonsense,” Applejack paused and stamped her hoof,” wait Ah know! Ah must be under that Want it Need it spell Twilight was castin. It must have caused me to fall in love with her instead of that award!”

“Nope,” Big Mac said promptly, “Ah know what love magic looks like and Ah know what love looks like and you look like you're in love.”

“Now just wait a cotton-pickin second. Since when were you an expert on love magic?” Applejack protested.

“Well Ah've been under two love spells, the Want it Need it, and Love Poison. Ah think Ah know what Ah'm talkin about,” Mac said.

“Ah am not in love with Twilight! And Ah'm going to prove it. Ah'll get some fancy magic be gone potion from Zecora and that'll get rid of these feelins once and for all.” Applejack said, stomping her hoof on the ground.

“Don't do anything foolish sis. Love is a wonderful thing and Ah don't want you to throw it away just cause you're too stubborn to admit your own feelins,” Big Mac said. Applejack just snorted.

“Let's get back to work,” she said ignoring Big Mac as she started picking up apples again.


Fluttershy hummed as she searched around town for Rainbow Dash. This is great! It's just like my dream. I'll find Rainbow Dash and talk to her about Twilight. She'll interrupt me with a kiss and then we'll go get Twilight. Then all three of us will live together, get married, and we'll... Fluttershy blushed, pleasantly distracted by her thoughts. By the time she reached her butterfly grotto she had search most of Ponyville. The butterflies swirled around her with many of them landing on her, but they did nothing to ease her rising panic. She's not here either. Oh what if my dream is wrong? What if Rainbow Dash only wants Twilight? What if, what if she doesn't love me anymore? Where is she? Fluttershy rose in the air, frantically looking around. “Rainbow Dash, where are you?” she called softly. Only the butterflies heard her and they quickly dispersed, searching on Fluttershy's behalf. “Thank you my friends,” she said before joining the search. A short time later a trio of butterflies reported in and after listening to them Fluttershy blushed a deep crimson. “Oh Fluttershy you silly pony, next time check her house,” she chided herself, lightly smacking her head. “Thank you so much my friends,” she said sweetly before flying off.

Fluttershy managed to calm down in the short flight to Rainbow Dash's home. Still, she couldn't help but feel nervous as she landed. “R-rainbow Dash?” she called.

“F-fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash's head popped out of her cloud home. “FLUTTERSHY!” A rainbow coloured blur tackled Fluttershy to the fluffy cloud and hugged her tightly. “I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, please forgive me. I'll never do it again. Just please forgive me!” Rainbow Dash cried as she hugged Fluttershy.

Fluttershy smiled in relief and gently began to run her hoof through Rainbow Dash's mane. “Shh, it's okay, it's alright, I'm not upset, and of course I forgive you. I don't mind that you kissed Twilight.”

“B-but I betrayed you! I betrayed us! I don't deserve you as a marefriend, or even as a friend! I should just run off before I hurt you more,” Rainbow Dash protested, releasing her grip.

“Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy practically whispered, “do you love me?” giving Rainbow Dash a soft kiss and staring directly into her eyes.

“Of course,” Rainbow Dash said, her wings quivering as Fluttershy's breath warmed her nose.

“Rainbow Dash, do you love Twilight?” She said with another soft kiss. Rainbow Dash dropped her gaze and didn't answer. Fluttershy gently nudged Rainbow Dash's chin with her hoof, bringing her gaze back to her own. “Rainbow Dash, please answer the question.”

“Y-yes,” Rainbow Dash whispered, tears beginning to rise up again.

“Don't cry,” Fluttershy gave Rainbow Dash another kiss and drew back. “I love her too,” she added simply.

“What!?” Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped.

“And I'm willing to share you with her.”

“What!?” Rainbow Dash blushed, her wings flared.

“Um, that is if you don't mind.” Fluttershy's confidence deserted her and she landed, bowing her head. Rainbow Dash was silent for a moment before a massive grin split her face. She grabbed Fluttershy and easily lifted them both into the air. Rainbow Dash captured Fluttershy's lips in a passionate kiss as she flew them higher.

“Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said, panting a little, “you are the most awesome, wonderful, and beautiful pony I know.” Rainbow Dash resumed kissing her, not giving her a chance to respond. Fluttershy giggled and kissed her back as much as she could.

“So what now?” Fluttershy asked after they had calmed down and separated. Rainbow Dash stayed silent thinking. Fluttershy waited patiently and idly poked the clouds they were sitting on.

“You know about Trixie, right?” Rainbow Dash asked. Fluttershy nodded, and Rainbow Dash continued, “then you know that we've got competition. We can't take things slow or else we'll miss our chance.”

“Okay,” Fluttershy said.

“I think we should split up. I'll sabotage Trixie and you win over Twilight,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Um Rainbow Dash, that doesn't seem very nice to Trixie,” Fluttershy said.

“All's fair in love and war.”

“Didn't they ban the weaponized use of curry with a spiciness of over five hundred Scovilles?” Fluttershy asked.

“Fine I get it,” Rainbow Dash sighed, “so why should we 'play fair' with Trixie?”

“Well, don't you think Twilight will be upset with us?” Fluttershy said.

“I guess,” Rainbow Dash said, rubbing the back of her head with a hoof.

“And if she's upset she might choose Trixie over us,” Fluttershy continued.

“Alright, I get it. My plan won't work. What do you suggest we do?”

“Um, why don't we just try the direct approach?” Fluttershy asked. Rainbow Dash thought for a second and then grinned.

“Good idea. After we seduce her there's no way she'd even bother to look at Trixie, and how could she resist the two sexiest pegasi in Equestria?” Rainbow Dash said, striking a pose before flying off. “Come on Fluttershy. Lets get going.”

Fluttershy blushed, her wings flapping weakly, “w-wait Rainbow Dash. T-that's not what I meant. I meant we should just go on a date with her,” she stammered as she struggled to catch up to her speedy companion.


Before Twilight could react, Trixie quickly cast several more spells. One blotted out the light in the room while the next created a spotlight on both Twilight and Trixie. Multicoloured snowflakes fell silently in the darkness before shattering into flower petals when they touched the floor. As Trixie walked forward her hooves made beautiful chiming noises every time she took a step. Twilight just watched, a faint smile on her lips as Trixie moved forward. Her panic was pushed back as she watched the impressive display of illusions that Trixie was putting on. The illusions all collapsed when Trixie tripped on a book that was hidden in the darkness.

“Ow!” Trixie yelped as she rubbed her face. Twilight stared for a bit and started to giggle. “It's not funny,” Trixie said, pouting.

“Yes it was,” Twilight said smiling. Her smile quickly faded and she bit her lip as she thought back on the situation with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

“Are you alright Twilight?” Trixie asked noticing Twilight's mood change.

“It's...I'd rather not talk about it,” Twilight said looking down. The library was silent for a few seconds but then a boutique of golden tulips were shoved under Twilight's nose.

“Do not worry Twilight Sparkle, for the Great and Powerful Trixie is here and she will make all of your problems disappear!” Trixie proclaimed striking a pose. “Go on try them,” Trixie added, when Twilight just stared at the flowers. Hesitantly she nibbled on one and hummed in appreciation before taking a larger bite.

“Are these Honey Tulips? I heard they were very expensive, how did you get them?” Twilight asked as she ate another tulip.

“Only the best for you Twilight! Besides these were given to Trixie as a reward from a grateful farmer after I fended off a vicious pack of bee-dogs.”

“Sounds like quite a story,” Twilight said doubtfully but she was starting to smile again anyways. To her surprise Trixie began trembling as she stared into the distance. “Are you alright?” Twilight asked, putting a hoof on Trixie's shoulder.

“Never again,” Trixie whispered shaking her head, “You purged them with fire, you'll never have to hear that buzzing bark ever again.”

“Trixie, snap out of it!” Twilight shouted shaking Trixie. Trixie shook her head again and put a hoof to her head.

“Sorry Twilight. Let's just say I'm not particularly fond of that memory and never speak of it again. Alright?” Trixie said.

Twilight nodded. “Well thank you for the flowers Trixie,” she said putting them in a vase for later. “Um, now what should we do?”

Trixie brightened immediately. “Aw yes our date. Trixie was unable to make any reservations at a restaurant of appropriate status so Trixie thought that it would be best if we started with a simple walk and returned here, where Trixie herself shall prepare you a delectable dinner beyond imagination.”

“Sounds nice,” Twilight said with a smile. Let's just forget about Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy for now. I'll have a nice relaxing evening getting to know Trixie and I'll deal with those two in the morning.


Little did the two mares suspect that their entire conversation was overheard by none other then Master Detective Pinkie Pie. She casually hung upside down on one of the branches near a window while she slurped her coffee. She flipped open her newspaper and pretended to read it while she thought furiously. I see. The diabolical Trixie is lulling her into a sense of false security by taking her on a peaceful walk and then she'll strike at dinner. Via an equally diabolical poison that will make all of Twilight's hair fall out leaving her bald, cold, and humiliated. It's all so obvious that I'm surprised my lovely assistant has fallen for such a ruse. Pinkie sighed melodramatically, clearly the devious Trixie is using her 'charms' to trick Twilight as she's holding leprechauns hostage with their gold, allowing her to trick even my brilliant and beautiful assistant. But how do I stop it? Pinkie scratched her chin, then her head, and then her chin again as she thought. Aha! It's so obvious that the only thing more obvious is Trixie's plan! If she's trying to trick Twilight via a peaceful walk then all I have to do is to make sure that walk is anything but peaceful! Oh shoot they're already leaving, I better go gather the materials I need for my counterplan. Don't worry Twilight, the brilliant and bright Pinkie is on the way! Pinkie dropped from the tree, flipped, and bounced away.


Twilight and Trixie walked through Ponyville's park enjoying the carefully tended beauty that the town had created. As they walked they chatted about many small topics such as recently read books, favourite foods, and future plans.

“One day Twilight, they shall hold parades in Trixe's honour,” Trixie said waving a hoof.

“Oh, you mean they aren't already?” Twilight said, sticking her tongue out at Trixie.

“You may laugh Twilight, but Trixie is on the road to glory and soon the name of the Great and Powerful Trixie shall be legendary throughout all of Equestria!”

“So what did happen after you left Ponyville? I don't mean to be rude but you seemed to be pretty different back then,” Twilight asked.

“Well at first Trixie just tried to forget about the whole thing and get on with my life. Trixie bought a new trailer with my savings and went back to the road. But wherever I went Trixie was greeted with jeers and laughter! Trixie had become a laughing stock after the story about the Ursa Minor got around. Not only did they laugh and mock Trixie but they even vandalized my brand new trailer!” Trixie was getting into the story, her face full of emotion as Twilight listened.

“I'm ashamed to admit it, but I started blaming you for my misfortune. Trixie remembered you revealing the Ursa's true identity to the townsfolk and so effortlessly defeating the Ursa Minor where Trixie had failed miserably. I grew jealous and obsessed with defeating you to regain my reputation,” Trixie said softly, lowering her head in remembered shame.

“At first Trixie studied in libraries across Equestria, learning new spells and looking for ways to become more powerful, but Trixie never felt it was enough. However my funds were low and Trixie could no longer make her living by performing. Still I managed to learn of a powerful artifact, said to give the wearer the power to challenge the Princesses themselves! I wanted it but rumour was that it was held by a greedy merchant, and that the artifact could not be stolen, only given freely. A rock farmer was looking for help and I almost took him up on his offer til fate intervened,” Trixie said.

“The next day Trixie headed out of town with the rock farmer. Luckily for me we were attacked by a fierce wyvern!”

“What? How is that lucky?” Twilight interrupted.

“No interruptions please. So where was Trixie? Oh yes, we were attacked by a fierce wyvern! We were only a short ways out of town but still too far for anypony to do more then witness what happened next. Trixie admits that the beast caught her off guard but her instincts were as sharp as ever and she released a barrage of magical fireworks, distracting the beast and warning the town simultaneously. It turned it's attention to me and Trixie screamed for the rock farmer to run away. Trixie launched more fireworks to attract the wyvern's attention but it ignored me in favour of the fleeing farmer. A quick zap of lightning changed it's mind fast and it dove at me, screeching in rage. Trixie fearlessly stood her ground as she charged up her next spells, a massive blast of light that Trixie released at the last moment, diving out of the way. Blinded the beast crashed into the ground, throwing up a giant wave of dust obscuring it's form.”

“Trixie admits that she thought she had won, so when the wyvern emerged through the dust she panicked and let loose another blast of lightning. That may have been a mistake as the lightning just enraged the beast which charged after the fleeing Trixie. Realizing that running back to the village would just put other ponies in danger, Trixie instead ran for the gorge just out of town. As Trixie ran she fought a running battle with the wyvern, fending it off with shrieking fireworks and bright bursts of light. Once among the rocky cliffs of the gorge, Trixie hid among the many boulders while the wyvern was forced to land. Then it was just a matter of waiting for the right moment. Summoning up all of her mighty magic Trixie created an illusionary version of herself by the cold and fast river. Naturally the beast fell for it and pounced on the illusion which exploded into a cloud of foul smoke. A simple grease spell and a well thrown boulder was all that it took to make the wyvern slip into the river which carried the beast far enough away for Trixie to make her escape and the village to be safe!” Trixie finished her story with a flourish, casting a spell to make herself gleam and sparkle. Twilight clapped her hooves enthusiastically.

“That was quite a story Trixie. So what happened next?” Twilight asked as they resumed walking.

“Well naturally the ponyfolk were very grateful to the Great and Powerful Trixie for fending off the wyvern. So they threw Trixie a large party, gave her new supplies and a new cart, and most importantly, promised to remember my heroic actions. That's when I realized what I had been doing wrong for so long. Simply being the best by beating other ponies doesn't get you remembered as anything but a bully, and if you ever fail nopony will let you forget it. No, being a hero is much better. Ponies spread tales of your heroics all across Equestria and will even invent their own! They'll shower a hero with gifts and practically beg her to visit their home. So I changed my routine, instead of challenging the residents of the places I visited I instead pledged to solve their problems no matter what they may be. It didn't matter if the residents were plagued by ghouls, or haunted by ghosts, no matter what monster, Trixie sought them out and defeated them!” Trixie declared

“...Wow,” Twilight breathed, impressed at the conviction in Trixie's voice. “That seems pretty dangerous not to mention a huge change. What made you keep it up?” Twilight asked.

“Occasionally I would have doubts,” Trixie admitted, “and there were the occasional neighsayer or ungrateful lout that nearly made me lose my temper, but whenever that happened I remembered my inspiration and managed to calm down.” Trixie said, blushing and staring at Twilight from the corner of her eye.

“Oh and what's your inspiration?” Twilight asked tilted her head to the side.

“You Twilight. Whenever a neighsayer got on Trixie's nerves I'd remember how you walked away from my challenge. Whenever I felt like backing down I remember how you saved me and all of Ponyville from the Ursa Minor out of the goodness of your heart,” Trixie said, stopping and staring directly into Twilight's eyes. Twilight blushed herself, and looked down at her hooves.

“It wasn't that big of a deal,” Twilight mumbled. Trixie just smiled and lightly poked Twilight.

“Do not worry about it Twilight Sparkle. Now is there anything else you wish to know about the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

“Yeah, how come sometimes you talk in the third person and other times you talk normally?” Twilight said, smiling in appreciation of the subject change.

“That? Well it's kinda embarrassing. I -” Trixie was interrupted as a pink blur swinging on a rope grabbed Twilight, who let out a short scream as the two of them were launched through the air landing perfectly on a hot air balloon that Trixie swore wasn't there a second ago.

“Ha ha! Once again I have foiled your plans oh Fiendish and Devilish Trixie!” Pinkie Pie declared.

Author's Note:

Well this chapter went longer then I expected and I still didn't reach the part I expected to get to. So bad news is you have to wait. Good news is that I'll be adding more to the next chapter as a result.

So yeah, I hope you enjoy this chapter. It had some parts and jokes that I had difficulty writing but hopefully it came out okay.

Ends up I'm not really ignoring S3 Trixie, I think I found a way to show you how this Trixie diverged from canon Trixie. Not really in my original plans (which were thought up before S3) but it was an easy fix.

Many thanks to ICN for helping edit this chapter.

Next chapter will deal with Pinkie, (obviously) Luna, Trixie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and hopefully Rarity. It's about time she shows up. If I'm feeling particularly masochistic I'll even write Applejack's next part in which Zecora will make a guest appearance.