• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 2,012 Views, 29 Comments

When life gives you ponies . . . make friends. - A T L A S



Jay is a former musician, and he always lived a boring and solitary life...until today. During a special night, this human has found a strange creature in a strange place. A great adventure is waiting for him.

  • ...
5
 29
 2,012

The Graduation

The name is Jay, Jay Stevens. I'm a 19 year old teen. I could describe myself as a thin guy, kinda tall and pale skinned. Black hair, dark brown eyes and a not too grown beard describes my face. I reside in a metropolis, where the most of the days the sky is grey and the weather is cold, where most of the houses are absent of happiness and the cars out there in the street are the constant symphony of the city, where the life is boring, and very normal.

Mom and dad bought an apartment for me, despite they don't care about me, they looked for a "enough for you" room for me, you could believe that they are good persons, until you found out that they acquired the apartment 'cause they don't want to take care of me anymore. Mom is a nervous and exigent woman, she criticizes and judges everyone, it doesn't matter if they are friends, family or random people, she does it. Dad likes to lie and speak of the people when they are not present. They are divorced.

I study on college, or I used to, until today. The university has been one of the most challenging stages in my life. Bullies, nerds, gamers, weirdos, emos, populars, etc... those were the social classes on school. The narrow corridors are victims of fights, discussions, assaults and robberies almost every day. The teachers are cruel and ruthless, and every group only stands for itself. I have only one friend, and it's called Hank. He is a guy like me, his green eyes, brown hair and olive skin made us physically different, but hey! Bros are bros! Aspect does not matter. We two have been helping each other through the years. I'm a musician, he is a gamer. I opted for the medicine career, while Hank always preferred psychology.

Today was "The Great Ending". a festivity that we celebrate in our college every time a group of students graduate. It is divided in two steps: the Formal Graduation, and the Party. During the Formal Graduation everyone wore suits and dresses, (not the classical clothes that every college uses in graduations) and waited on the back of a scenario, located on the backyard of the school. The place was surrounded by a black, old and rusty iron fence. It has not changed too much since I entered the school, that college felt like hell, but in this case, with classmates (that didn't make it better).

The parents were sitting on metal chairs, who screeched every time somebody sat on them. There were tables at every side of the stage, covered with a green blanket, so the parents could go and take a snack from there. And with "snacks" I mean "orange juice" (tap water with orange flavor solution), "corn chips" (tortilla pieces, probably dry and rotten) and "sandwiches" (reused bread with cheap ham) made by the cafeteria's cook (the woman is nearly 40, red haired and very dirty. Her food is nasty, adding the fact that she have the disgusting habit of picking his nose and *puke*...enjoy the "product") The principal rented cheap things for the graduation. (The greedy bastard never liked to spend too much money, not even on him).

After a while, the principal entered the backyard from an old door, located on the yellow building facing us. It was about 6:00 p.m. The old man moved slowly towards the wooden stage. A black giant curtain prevented the view from the other side. We were divided in 6 rows, 2 for each group and one for guys and one for girls. I was on group C. We were organized for name, I was located 5 people away from Hank (he was in group C, too).

Like their parents, my classmates were talking, but only with the people in their "groups". For what I could tell, a guy named Frank was planing to assault a nerd called Ozberg and take all his money, Stacey, a cheerleader tried to convince her friend Allyson (a cheerleader too) to came to a double date with Marko and Benjamin (american football players), Neil and Dominic (gamers) were going to stay at home, and Julieta and Jerry (Saxophone and flute players, respectively) were going to join the school's band in the Party (they even invited me, but I denied). When the old man reached the microphone at the front of the stage, everyone was silent. He greeted the parents with a stuck and slow voice. His words were dry and piercing. Despite he didn't made a long speech, he managed to bore most of the parents. I wasn't paying attention (Like 99% of the people there). I just looked at the time.

He finally ended his speech (at 6:34) and drew out of his clothes a list of names. I could not see clearly through the curtain, but the man put the list on a tall board and put his reading glasses on. He opened his mouth once again.

"From group A, we have the lady, Britney Auwitz" As soon as the principal ended the sentence, the girl at the front of the parallel row walked upstairs to the stage. A small girl, with a deep black hair. A tennis player. Everyone clapped as she appeared in the scenario. The curtain blocked my sight. Shortly after, she walked back to the row, trespassing the curtain with a title and a certificate, one in each hand. She smiled as he reintegrated the girl's line (at the back). The principal said another name. I just waited my turn.

"...the gentleman, Jay Stevens" Now, I was at the front of the row. The stairs I walked on were broken, they squeaked with my steps. I entered the stage with a fake smile on my face, I hadn't look to the principal in a long time. The elder gazed at me, bored. He was almost bald, with half circle of brown hair on the back of his head, his pair of reading glasses were enormous and old. Every time he moved his mouth wrinkles stood out on his face. He was wearing a pair of black shoes, khaki pants and a flat sweater (like the traditional grandpa in movies).

I moved next to him and took my title and the certificate. The clapping stopped instantly. I could see two empty seats in the crowd. "Reserved for Mr. and Mrs. Stevens" I wasn't disappointed. They always do the same every time I have an event. I turned back and began to walk back to the row. The teachers were standing behind two large tables. They smiled at me. Every student knew that those were fake smiles. They all hate us.

When I went back to the row, I couldn't find it. Everyone spread around the back of the stage. Laughs, coughs, a scream, that college is always like that. Everyone was with his/her "group". I just stood there. I looked for Hank, he was talking with Leila, a guitarist, Hank has been talking about her lately. The girl had a green bow on her blonde hair. A dark eyeliner and a purple lipstick made a good combination. Her light brown eyes expressed innocence. Hank was busy at the moment.

"Then, you call me or I call you?" Hank smiled at her. "I'll call you, see you later" Hank winked before saying goodbye. Leila dropped a shy laugh. Hank went with me. "David Mason" The principal's voice called the guy from our group. It will end soon. I approached to my friend.

"How is the hunt going?" I extended my arm to him. We made a special greeting that only we two knew. I met Hank 7 years ago. We have become very close friends. (In fact, he has been my only friend). "Much better than last year. This time, I have licence" He laugh. I just smiled. "And, finally, Rodney Zepleton" The chubby guy moved with difficulty towards the stage. The excessive gel on his black hair made it look gray. The man entered the stage, making a heavy noise every time his foot met the floor. He received the clapping and took his things. Before he could reach the final step of the stairs, the last one broke, made him fell down. Some students laughed, while the poor boy got stuck. Hank and I helped him to stood up. He seemed to be alright.

"T-Thanks man" He looked at Hank. "Are you okay? Don't mind them, they are just a bunch of assholes" I dusted his back. Those stairs were REALLY used. "You're right, I...I'll just leave you here...bye... " The guy gazed at us before leaving. He walked like a penguin (I'm not making fun of him). "Awkward" I nodded. The people was leaving the backyard through an iron door located at the left of the stage. "Who's driving tonight?" Hank grabbed his car keys and a penny from the pocket of his suit. He put the penny on my hand. "Heads or tails?" "Mmm... tails" I flipped the coin and caught it at mid-air. "Flip it?" Hank grabbed his chin for a moment. "Yeah" I discovered my hand after performing the order. Heads.

"I'll pick you at 9, man. Prepare yourself for a crazy night! Maybe you can even make some friends...or something more than friends..." Hank smiled. I just shook my head negatively with a innocent smile. Hank's car made kinda noise out there in the street. A 2009 grey plated Nissan that received as a gift from her parents. They were good persons. I always liked Mr. and Mrs. Edison. They seemed to like me too, and they were very careful, socially and funny.

I said goodbye to Hank and entered the building. I took an elevator to the third floor, were my apartment is located. Worn wood decorates the floor. The structure of my home is simple, at the right I have the guest's room, where there are 2 beds at the center, a metal wardrobe at the left and a little board, in the corner. Outside, a dinning, with 8 chairs made of cloth. (I love animals, I'd never bought something made of fur or leather), the table is over a brown carpet. A huge window gives a wonderful view of a part of the city. I front of the table there is a wooden bureau, with a television on it. In a corner there's a bathroom, with the classical things, a marble washbasin a ceramic toilet and a shower cabin. There is a kitchen, outside the bathroom. A stove, a refrigerator and some shelves (I'm vegetarian) where I keep the food. There are stairs in the kitchen, they lead to the second floor, my room is up there (at the left), with a bed, a shelf for my clothes and shoes, and a rack. Outside my room I have a little library. I love reading about everything (with exception of erotic and violent themes). Another window facing the city. Four armchairs and three tables decorate the center of the library. 4 giant shelves, 2 located in every side, with lots of books. There's is another bathroom right next to the window (it has the same things of the other one).

I entered my room and took off my rented suit. I grabbed a white shirt, a dress shirt, a pair of jeans and tennis shoes. I took two different sweaters from the shelf. "The green one or the blue one?" I opted for the blue one and threw the other over the white blanket of my bedroom. A window located over the shelf illuminated the room. The remaining light from the outside painted my room a deep blue color (because the time). I left my suit on the rack and exited the room. I looked at my old and used watch. It was about 7:58 I sat down on an armchair and took my laptop. I turned the lights on. The light from the bulbs in the ceiling was a warm yellow. It looked beautiful. The walls are painted white, and with the artificial light, they looked really comfortable. (And about the laptop, I used to have videogame consoles, until I moved on to my own apartment. They were mine so I sold them and with the money I bought more things. One of them, was the laptop).

I combed my wild hair, washed my face and waited for Hank. I checked the hour and played some music on the laptop. I checked the history. I lent my computer to Hank last week and I could see what pages he visited. I always knew what kind of pages he visited. Not the dirty ones, instead, he likes to visit pages about ponies. It's a secret between us. He is a "broky", "brenty" or something like that. He likes a tv program called "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". I'm totally fine with that, Everyone have his own likes and I respect them. I have never watched the program, but Hank really likes it. He also visits a page called fimfiction.net , where he can read stories that fans create. That's good, you know? 'Cause they take the initiative to read and help this world to improve our culture.

8:53. I was listening some piano in my pc, when I heard someone knocking the door. "Are you ready. Jay?" His voice was obstructed by the door. I went out, with my sweater on. We entered the elevator located in the small corridor. The metal doors opened and we entered the elevator, with another person, a grow woman. I looked at Hank. His straight hair gave him a childish look. I checked my pockets, in case I forgot something. The keys to my apartment and an old cellphone where there. We went out to the entrance. There wasn't a reception, just an open exit. The place could be robbed and only the victims would notice. We walked down the rock stairs. The cars passed by quickly, making a silent noise. There is parking lot at the right, where my friend parked his car. We entered to his property and he drove to the entrance. He paid the owner of the parking and we left. He smiled at me.

"Tonight is the night, man! You, me, friends...girls... we have to enjoy it!" He gave me a pat on the shoulder. "I don't know man. You know what happens every time I try to hit on a girl..." He just shook his head. Then stared at me. "I'm always wondering why don't you try with every single girl in the college..." "Because most of them are just body without brain. And the good ones are already in a relationship. And you know what happened with Paulé" He nodded and integrated a row waiting for the traffic lights to change. The people looked sad and distracted. The night fell down. It was very young.

The car turned right and parked. Before we could exit the car Hank took me softly by the arm. "Wait." I looked at him, he had a sad smile. "Just try to have fun , ok? This is our last day in college, so enjoy it!" We went out. The parking was some grass painted with time. We walked in the same direction other ex-students walked. A house in a field, that we students paid with our money. A very big house were almost half school could fill it. Two floors. In the outside there were some tables with REAL snacks (the unhealthy type). Doritos, Coca-Cola, beer, cigarettes... all kind of food you could usually find a party, a teen party. The time was 9:25 and the party was already on. The football team was inside with the cheerleaders, some guys were making pranks to everybody (someone threw a sandwich in my face). Once we reached the lounge (we weren't even near the party, but we could already felt the effects), I lost Hank, he just winked at me and disappeared. Now I was on my own.

I entered the house and looked for something interesting to do. One of the football players hit me in the shoulder while walking. The dude was wearing a blue t-shirt, dark jeans and sneakers. He stopped and looked at me. "Just stay far from Stephanie and I will not try to break you a bone, ok?" I just ignored him. His name is Tom, a douchebag. Her girlfriend Stephanie always liked me and she tried to gave me jealous. She thought a "perfect" body could attract me, but I always liked girls who actually use their brain (And actually care for their body, too). I just kept walking to the living room. I took a glass and filled it with water. It was going to be a long night.

The party was getting out of control. The guys started drinking...too much. Some guy took off his shirt and started hitting himself with the cheese of a sandwich. A guy from the group B was the "Dj" of the night. The grass had rests of food, empty bottles and trash. I was sitting in the living room in a chair. A drunk girl was puking near to me. my watch struck 12:14 a.m. A guy next to me was sleeping on a coach. The yellow house was a total mess. Lights came from inside of it. The garden was full of trash and lot of people were still partying. I had curiosity about the second floor. I wanted to know what was up there. Videogames? A television? Maybe some peace? I stood up from the chair and walked toward the stairs.

I heard something, but I couldn't recognize the sound. There were seven doors and five were closed. The sound became clearer. It was like a moan, but I didn't realize what was going on. I entered to one of the open rooms. A purple bed with two pillows heart shaped, some candles and a bureau with things on it. I approached to the bureau. The room was spacious, and the candles gave it a..."special" emphasis. The room was color red. Like a red "sin". I could hear the room next to me. Then I realized what the rooms were.

"More...more!" They were...you know. The rooms were available in case some pair "needed" them. Oh, silly me! Why didn't I notice before? I was about to abandon the habitation when I feel someone behind me. I turned back. Stephanie.

"Looks like the brave boy wants to do it..." She pushed me to the bed and closed the door. The blonde girl grabbed me as she got closer to me. "Stephanie's eyes were looking at mine. I tried to separate me from her but she moved away my arms. I didn't wanted to hurt her. My back was lying on the purple blanket. The body of the girl was leaning over mine. I stopped her for a moment. "Mmm.... Stephanie, I-I don't think this is right.... what about Tom? If he finds out?" She was wearing a blue dress. She began to take it off. "He will never know. Don't worry" I stopped her hand from removing the clothes. "I don't want to do it." She looked at me, with an evil smile.Then he punched me in the stomach, three times. I lost my air. Then her hand stroke my head. A headache. "I don't care if you want to do it or not, I will have it. And if you try to resist..." she drew out a "taser" (those things that electrocute you). She pushed it against m right leg, and I felt an immense pain. After 3 seconds, she stopped. I couldn't feel my leg. "See? So please, be a good boy...or a bad one..." I hated her.

Her hands were slipping very slowly, going down, from my shirt to my crotch. I used my hand to stop her, but another electric charge flowed inside of me. This time she tased the arm. "No,no,no...Try to enjoy it, dear! If you hit me, I will say that you abused me, and you don't want to go to jail, don't you?" I sighed exhausted. I could still feel the electricity in my body. She unbuttoned my pants. I couldn't do anything.

Someone broke in and ruined the moment (thank god) Stephanie looked back. "T-T-This is not what you think..." A hand took her from the shoulder and separated her from me. My salvation. "We'll talk later" I stood up, buttoned my jeans and looked up. Tom. He didn't looked angry.

"Thanks, man, I don't know what could happen if you didn't app..." His punch hit my jaw upside. I could feel my teeth biting my upper lip. I tasted blood. He was really angry. "What did I told you, idiot?! I'm going to hit the fuck out of you!" "It's just a misunderstanding, man, I can explain!" He tried to punch me again but I dodged him, making him more angry. Stephanie looked from the corridor. She tried to stop Tom. "I know how you feel, Tom, but is not what you think, man! Please listen to me!" He rushed me. "Say whatever you want, I'm going to enjoy this..." A strike of punches landed on my face, blood came out from my nose. I punched him back but he was stronger (obviously). Stephanie took Tom's arm. "Stop! You are going to hurt him!" He gazed at her. "That's what I'm planning to do." While he was distracted I punched him in the crotch. He looked at me. Another punch on my face. Stephanie took the teaser and electrocuted Tom. Sparkles came out from his back. He shook violently. I pushed him away.

Tom was lying on the floor, unconscious. Her "girlfriend" was crying. I stood up and cleaned my nose. "I'm...I'm so sorry, I didn't meant to hurt you..." "Shut up, leave me alone. You should go away from here, you have already done enough" I looked severely to her. She nodded and left the room with tears streaming above her face. I was about to left the corridor when Tom said something. "I will get my revenge, Jay. Remember that" He had a sick smile on his face. I went stairs down.

3:26 a.m. the party was still alive. I found in a corner, inside the house. He was talking with a really beautiful tanned girl. They were enjoying some drinks. I approached to him, trying to hide my bruises (If I had, I didn't know). "Man, could you lend me the car keys? I...I feel a bit tired" He turned around, fortunately, my friend was a little drunk. He drew out the keys from his right pocket and put them on my hand. "It's late. Don't wait for me, I can return to home....maybe tomorrow" "I'm not leaving you here, I'll wait for you in the car" I put the keys on my pocket and made my way through the people. Most of them were drunk, and those who were not, were sleeping, puking or in the 2nd floor. The car was very far away from the party. The lounge was located in some kind of forest, where trees were enormous and grass still grew. I found the car and entered it.

I occupied the passenger seat and turned on the light. Using the rear-view I looked at my face. My right eye was a bit purple, but nothing more. A thunder, then a gentle rain. From the car I saw the people getting inside the house. The rain was getting heavier. I leaned my head on the seat and sighed. "Maybe I wouldn't have come..." I accommodated the car's mirror back to it's position. I felt very tired. My legs hurt and my chest felt heavy. I closed my eyes.

A noisy thunder woke me. I breathed violently and looked at my watch. 3:42. The rain was getting intense. Another thunder. I tried to close my eyes but I could not. I looked at the rear-view. The sky was falling down, literally. I was about to sleep again when I saw a huge sparkle from the forest. Not a thunder, a sparkle. A very strange sparkle. Then, another one...the act repeated four times more. I'm sure that everyone was too far away from the forest to saw it. The rain calmed down. For the first seconds I tried to ignore it, but my curiosity made me got out from the car. "I'm sure Hank is still having fun, and, I'm just going to check" I left the blue sweater in the car (I'm not stupid. If my clothes got wet, I could change them for my sweater...at least my dress shirt). I walked toward the forest. There were too few trees to call it a forest, but at the time they were too many to just call it a simple "group of trees". A soft sparkle indicated the way. At dawn a curious teen that has nothing better to do than investigate some strange success at a kind of "forest", while raining, just after that another teen fought with him...well, that's what I call a "special night".

The rain hit softly my face. The leaves crushed as I walked over them. The protruding roots of the trees made me walk funny. Another sparkle. It was far away. An U.F.O. or just a flare? A military secret object or a flashing light? My imagination or real life? I don't know. Despite I was tired I kept walking. The ground was wet, the land became mud. The cold wind froze my bones. The sparkle stopped, a plain region was in front of me. A... dark cave (???) was at the background of it. Green, brown and orange leaves covered the ground. The drizzle made me felt alive. I approached to the cave. The darkness restricted my sight. The only source of light were the thunders and my phone. I stood up outside the enormous cavern. "Why did you came here?" I felt stupid. Probably, it was just my imagination...but I was so wrong....

"Well...it was nice to meet you, cavern, but now I need to go" Before I could turn around to return to Hank's car, I heard something...someone was breathing and shivering. I couldn't see anything, but I could feel it. My cellphone helped me to see in the dark. Now I heard some "s's", like when you have so much cold when you are sleeping. My despair grew. Someone was dying from cold near to me, and I couldn't find him. I heard the sound near to me. I was outside the cave. A thunder illuminated the scene for like 5 seconds. I felt something breathing at my feet and looked down. A little yellow horse was lying on the ground.

It was a mare, by the acute sound of her voice (?). I stared at her. It was really different from all the horses I have ever seen. Not the typical horse one sees in photos. This one had a light grayish gold coat. Her mane was a soft pink color. At her flank she had tree blue butterflies, with pink wings. And "she" was smaller. I fell down to the ground and crawled backwards.

"T-t-t-t-t-t...." She was trembling. The drizzle became a waterfall (literally). The sky could fall down at any moment. I stood up and approached to her. "I don't know what you are, but I can't leave you here" I was talking to the air. My dress shirt was all soaked. I carried the poor "thing" back to the car. My steps on the mud helped me to find the way back. I fought against the weather. Thunders, wind and rain were the enemy. Despite all, I managed to find the car. Desperately, I drew out the keys from my pocket and unlocked the doors (It was a hard work because I was carrying her with my both arms). I opened the backdoor of the car and softly put the horse there. I entered the driver's seat. I took my blue sweater and covered her. Raindrops were all over her body. I used a cloth to dry the little animal. She was still sleeping (maybe passed out). I tried to take some air for a second. Shortly after I grabbed my phone and called Hank.

"Wassup?! Who it is?"
"Hank, I'm Jay. It is okay if I take your car to my apartment? I need to take someone home..."
"Hehehe! Finally! Well, don't stop yourself, my car is yours tonight"
"And what about you?"
"I met a girl, she invited me to stay for a night at her place...you don't need to know the rest"
"Thanks man, I owe you one." (He was obviously drunk. How could he believe I can take a girl in the middle of nothing while raining?)

Despite I tried to calmed down, I'm sure I was not. I turned on the car and drove back to the city. The road surrounded a hill. I kept driving, without trying to pay attention to the surroundings.. Hundreds of thoughts were on my head. What was that thing? From where does it come? Why me? I was driving at 120 km/per hour. In less than twenty minutes I was back in the city. My apartment was not too far. I kept asking myself questions. I even was so distracted that some guy sounded the horn from his car because the car was stopped at a green light. The metropolis still had live at that hour. Stores, people and cars peopled the streets. The dim lights guide my home. A boulevard, a plain street, turn left at the corner to enter another boulevard, then turn right....I arrived home in question of seconds. I parked the car in front of the building. I stayed at the car for some minutes. I was confused.

The doors unlocked. I opened the left back door, shortly after I opened mine and went out. I carried the little animal once again, the sweater covered her completely, to avoid attracting attention. I walked slowly stairs up. A narrow white corridor received us. We moved toward the elevator, that was located at the right side at the middle of the corridor. My finger pressed a button, one with an arrow pointing upwards. The metal doors slid and showed a little green marble cabin, the elevator. I entered it and pushed the button for the third floor. I coughed. The effects of the rain on me started. Fortunately, nobody was awake at that time. The breathing of the small horse was calmed. A "beep" opened the doors. I searched my apartment.

"Habitation 304...here it is" I drew out the keys desperately. I unlocked the door and went in. I placed the living being on a love seat for a moment, and then turned on the lights. I left a trail of raindrops behind me. I took the horse in my arms again and went upstairs. The floor creaked every time I walked over it.

I entered my room and left the yellow animal over my bed. I took an old t-shirt, a pajama pants and three sheets. I changed my wet clothes for the dry ones. I covered her with the sheets. She smiled softly. I smiled too. "The things that you do..." I took my clothes with me and silently, closed the door. I went downstairs. I put the clothes in a bag (I don't have washer, so I need to go to a laundry to wash my clothing) and entered the guest's room.

Now I'm lying here, in a cold and little bed, where I barely fit. My head is suffering from all the thoughts in it. My throat hurts. I feel sick. What is that thing? From where does it come? Is it friendly? Is an animal?...And if it is...what kind of animal is that? I have so many questions and not a single answer. I'm sure I have seen that "horse" before. I don't know where, but I have seen it. I'm sure of two things: Tomorrow (in fact, today) is going to be a long day, and that this is going to make a real twist in my life.

Author's Note:

The soundtrack will appear moderately, not overused. Expect "All Things Bright and Beautiful", "Ocean Eyes" and "The Midsummer Station" albums. Hope you enjoy this story.