• Published 18th Jan 2012
  • 2,191 Views, 28 Comments

Rewind - Lost Handle



Relive Rainbow's last moments with the one she loved

  • ...
3
 28
 2,191

Rewind

Beneath the thin fog covering Ponyville in the early morning hours you might have seen many things, one of which may have been the mayor out giving a speech to a massive amount of ponies gathered in the square. Not far off you would have seen an unnoticed meeting of teacher and student, one of comforting words but in the end no avail to the two’s tearful demeanor. Further off you would see three friends sitting, staring, and crying in a building that normally represented all the joy in the small sound. Nopony in Ponyville was having their normal joy.

This carried onto even outside the boundaries of the city, to the outskirts of the Everfree forest, where one by one creatures of the strange and dark wood silently exited. In fact in every direction, animals from nearby were pouring into one place. If you had seen the point where they converged you would see a mass of rainbow colors curled up by a stone, weeping heavily though seemingly in sleep. Though it had no inscription, it was clear what the stone’s purpose was. A tombstone.

---

“No.” Rainbow Dash cried to Twilight, who herself looked shaken. Tears streamed down the flier’s eyes as she choked back sobs as well as she could. “There had to have been a- a mistake. The has to-- no! This-- no. No!” She finally could not hold it any more, she began screaming out cries, with a rasping “no” inserted every time she could stop. Her head fell into her hooves, and her frazzled mane fell over what remained. Twilight put her leg around her friend's neck and lay on it, weeping along with her friend. But Rainbow did not notice, for the world had frozen as she felt everything that had happened that day resonate within her.

---

“Dash, you are acting strangely today.” noted Fluttershy, “I- mean- not that there is anything wrong with that.”

Rainbow chuckled nervously and slowly pushed a cat that thought that her mane was a colorful treat away, “Why would you say that?”

Fluttershy took up the kitty and placed her in one of the many beds littered around her house that day. After a bit of struggle to keep it down, she returned to the conversation, “Well you showed up so suddenly and you say you don’t want anything. This just isn’t like you. You normally would be doing awesome tricks in the air and flying so fast around town. But you aren’t”

Rainbow swallowed and stammered a bit, blushing, “I- I- I’m here to uhhh... get some... Food! Yeah, food for Tank!” She gave a wide, fake smile.

Fluttershy perked up, “Oh, really? Well I have just the thing!” As she turned she said one more thing to Rainbow Dash, “I think you may have a talent with animals too like I do.”

Rainbow Dash knew it was just Fluttershy trying to be nice but she enjoyed it all the while. As Fluttershy left the room and Rainbow turned, muttering to herself, “Rainbow, come on, you can’t keep this up any longer. You gotta... how could I? What should I say? How do you tell somepony you love them? I have to say something. I have to before I lose my co-”

A thud and a scream was heard and Rainbow reacted, zooming into the room Fluttershy was in. She saw a shelf had been knocked over and bags of various things had fallen on Fluttershy. Rainbow panicked and started digging. “Fluttershy are you okay?” she called. Fluttershy started to respond but was cut short as Rainbow Dash hit something hard with her hoof. It was hard and as she felt it it seemed... wet. Rainbow looked down to see it was a knife handle. and the wetness wasn’t milk.

The blade was in Fluttershy’s neck.

---

They say the Animus of a pony lives on in the dreams of their friends. Rainbow wanted to sleep in the cold mist with the animals around her and the funeral done. But sleep would not come. And if it did, would she see her lost friend? If she did it would not be the same. She loved Fluttershy ever since she was taken in by the pegasus. Would her Animus love her as she did? She looked at her dreams, none would come to pass. She was shattered. And in the dirt she had written with her hoof: I want to rewind time, if it was only to die with you.

Comments ( 28 )

I wrote this short purposefully to show how things come suddenly. Though the effects are wide, the occurrence is instantaneous.

My first fic. Criticism welcome. I probably suck. Oh well. If I do I keep working and take the criticism into account.

make more, because this is very... interesting

Fixed the minor title error. Whoops 9_9

Hm.

Some things can happen just so fast.

Pretty good. But, um, what's with the knife? Did Fluttershy have a knife on her shelf (:pinkiegasp:) , and it happened to land on her? :unsuresweetie:

Although I agree that the knife on the shelf is rather improbable, I think the story was able to tell its tale effectively.
One thing that I noticed. The beginning is rich with detail, painting the scenery.
But at the end, the details vanished. You could do a little more in describing Dash's emotions and the death scene.

PS: The 'Animus' you're referring is the psychological masculine side for Rainbow Dash, right? Well, if my 2 semester psychology classes served a purpose, I think that, being a tomboy, she would be quite in touch with her animus, but not with her anima.

Short story, but enough to make me feel sorry for poor rainbow... :rarity despair:

Good Read.

Yeah, correct on the Animus, very interesting concept to add to this already introspective story. I guess i'm beating a dead horse with this, but I agree, the knife was pretty ridiculous, the falling piece of furniture could easily have done the job and not have detracted from the realism. That being said, this was extremely well written, keep up the awesome work! :rainbowdetermined2:

(READ THE STORY BEFORE THIS COMMENT!)

I re-read the knife scene a few times, I think what really hits home is that Rainbow killed Fluttershy. I base this off the passage stating that fluttershy started to reply to RD, only to be cut off after rainbow hit the hilt of the blade, which resulted in, well, exactly what happened :fluttercry: Fluttershy wasn't stabbed when everything fell on her... just when RD panicked trying to uncover her.

139303 Objection!
What you said may be correct, but Rainbow Dash acknowledged the 'wetness' on the knife on the instant she came in contact with it. Meaning that there was blood on it before Dash's intrusion.
A wound would have to be relatively deep in order to splatter blood over the lodged object.
It is true that Rainbow deepened the wound... but Fluttershy would still have died nonetheless.

You know what this calls for? A SEQUEL!

Poor Rainbow. :rainbowwild: Who murdered her loved one?

139334

I went back and re-read it again with what you said in mind. The writing implies a (small enough to support your interpretation) period of time between when dash initially hits the knife (and apparently causes fluttershy to be "cut short") and when she realizes what's on the knife / that the knife handle is wet. The reason I don't think this precludes my theory is that any pre-existing wound to a major artery/vein would not give fluttershy the ability to even begin to respond due to shock, let alone get "cut off" afterwards; this implies that rainbow's exacerbation of the situation by accidentally hitting the knife handle is what ultimately decided fluttershy's fate - though of course this is just my quick-reasoned explanation.

Then again, 138089 might be able to give a definitive answer.

139374
If you mean shock as in emotion, you're right. Fluttershy would be mortified by the slightest of wounds.
If you mean shock as in the medical term, you're wrong. A neck wound would take some minutes before inducing hypovolemic shock (blood loss shock), even with a major artery being severed.
Thinking about this angle, you're wright. Rainbow did cause Fluttershy's demise. As she would be too (emotionally) shocked by the wound, cutting her off.

But I still think that the knife itself severed a big artery, causing Fluttershy to try to ask Rainbow for help. Rainbow hit the already wet knife (blood would have splattered on her coat/hoof if Rainbow did the piercing wound), deepening the wound. The pain would then cause Fluttershy to be (emotionally) shocked.

Now I'm confused as to what I believe happened.

But yes, 138089 should decide!

Of course, we're looking at this from the outside in.

I wonder how Rainbow interpreted the "hit an object, it's a knife in her neck" angle.

138089
Don't you dare say you suck.
You have good narrative skills, not to mention you were able to make a good quality fic with just 764 words.

Whoa! That was a shock! But good story nonetheless.

._. My friend said it was hard to get noticed on here. Guess I can send HIM into a rage.

139474
139413
I wrote unclearly, but there was a little time before rainbow felt the wetness and the time she felt the blade. I had meant to write it as she had hit it very hard in her panic, puncturing deeply. I'm no doctor so figure the cause of death in your imagination :3

Also at every other knife statement: But would it have been as dramatic a read if a bag of food hit her in the head and snapped her neck? That was actually a plan but I scrapped that over Rainbow Dash playing a role.

139234
139271
Correct, that is the animus. Why only having that around instead of putting spirit or soul? Because everything else is attached so much to the pony that it dies with it, but the animus (or anima for males but since the population is mostly female I use the majority as collective) roam free always, so that's what you find still, after the carrier leaves. :3

Also description: :twilightsheepish: hehe. I kinda noticed that. I would make an excuse that I was trying to make different moods but it really was just lazy writing.

139820
139497
139351
139240
139123

Thank you. About a sequel, some things just don't work twice in a row.

140016

You needn't tell me.
>:/

Grm

Nice story anyway bud.

140016 I said that the knife on the shelf was improbable, but not impossible. :raritywink:

What I liked most in this is how you actually got me to think that Rainbow was the one going to die.

140017
:trollestia:

140159
I'm going to lie and say that was my intention :3

140261Tha's mah' story an' Ah'm sticking to it! :ajsmug:

140016
Me no want a sequel. It's perfect as it is. I love to see the mane 6 with broken spirits. (What? I'm not evil. I'm chaotic. That's a completely different thing.)

the knife on the counter stabs her
FINAL DESTINATION:rainbowlaugh:
what? im soulless

:raritycry: i love the sad fics
anyways, hears mah read
http://youtu.be/dSnezt1PCJ8

Thank you all
668276
Sorry I'm late, that was a nice read

SPOILER ALERT! (Though most comments here seem to have already spoiled it...)
I'm enjoying the whole knife debate in the comments. It might be because it's 1:30am but it completely went over my head that Rainbow *possibly* killed Fluttershy. I must have completely skipped the part where you said 'Shy started to reply. I'm not sure if that scene should have been more clear or if I should read more clearly. The comments actually stopped me from down voting this... it's a lot more meaningful and dark with that little detail (kinda) sorted out. :yay: Pretty good story given the length.

Login or register to comment