• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 2,342 Views, 52 Comments

Beasts and Burdens - Metool Bard



A simple rescue mission becomes more complicated than it needs to be...

  • ...
2
 52
 2,342

An Old Friend

Beasts and Burdens Chapter 6:
An Old Friend

"Twilight, are we there yet? It feels like we've been galloping through this forest forever."

Twilight groaned. Even while worrying about her sister, Rarity had to take the time to complain.

"It's only been five minutes, Rarity," the purple unicorn sighed. "Trust me, I know where I'm going."

"I sure hope so," said Rarity, taking great pains not to get her mane tangled in any branches. "I don't want to hold off rescuing Sweetie Belle any longer than I have to."

Just then, the two unicorns reached a clearing, and in the middle of the clearing was a large stream. "Well, here we are," said Twilight.

"Here?" inquired Rarity. "I don't understand, Twilight. You said you knew somepony who could help us, and I don't see anypony here."

"I never said somepony," said Twilight. "Spike, if you would do the honors?"

But Twilight Sparkle's number one assistant was fast asleep on her back. Twilight sighed. "Alright, I'll call him then," She then sent a beacon of magenta light into the rushing water. The water churned and bubbled, and suddenly a large sea serpent with a handsome orange mustache and mane rose from the depths.

"Who what?" the sea serpent said in a dazed tone. "Honestly, hasn't anyone ever heard of beauty sleep?"

Rarity recognized the creature immediately. It was the same one she generously donated her tail to during Nightmare Moon's return. The sea serpent recognized Rarity as well.

"Oh, it's you!" he cheered. "My my, it's been so long! How have you been, my fellow fashionista?"

"Um, could be better," said Rarity.

"Oh?" said the sea serpent, looking Rarity over. "You look alright to me. Look, your tail grew back and everything. Well, I figured it would, since it's been such a long time."

Twilight cleared her throat. "Um, listen Mr. Sea Serpent..."

"Oh, you don't have to call me that," said the creature. "We're practically friends."

"But, we never introduced ourselves," said Rarity.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I will never forget what you did for me," said the sea serpent joyfully. "So, I consider you my friend."

Rarity smiled a little. "Well, thank you, Mister..."

"Oh, right," said the sea serpent, clearing this throat. "Magnet. Steven Magnet. You can just call me Steve if you want."

The two unicorns exchanged curious glances, and merely shrugged. "Well then, um, Steve. My name is Rarity, and this is my friend Twilight Sparkle. Of course, you've met us before. Listen, we were wondering if you could help us with something."

Steven stroked his chin in thought. "Is that so? Well, how may I be of assistance?"

"Rarity's sister was ponynapped by Diamond Dogs," said Twilight. "They want Rarity to work in their mines."

"Oh, how dreadful!" proclaimed Steven. "A delicate gem such as her should not even be associated with such riffraff! It's a crime against fashion!"

Rarity began to blush. "Oh, you flatterer you."

"Focus, Rarity," Twilight said sternly before turning back to the sea serpent. "Anyway, we're planning to rescue Rarity's sister, but we can't charge in head-on. The Diamond Dogs are probably expecting that."

"Hmm, I see," said Steven. "And, what help can I provide?"

"Well, I know that this stream flows in from the mountains, where the Diamond Dogs live," explained Twilight. "We were hoping you knew of some underground waterways over there that we can sneak through."

Steven thought for a minute. "Well, I do. But I never traverse them myself," said he. "Too small for me, you see. Besides which, I only go in that direction when I'm visiting the Gates of Tartarus."

"Wait, you visit the Gates of Tartarus?" asked Twilight.

"Well, of course," said Steven. "I feel that Cerberus could always use the company."

"Huh. You learn something new every day," was all Twilight could say to that.

"Yes, yes. Very interesting," said Rarity. "Now, can we get a move on? I'm worried about Sweetie Belle."

Before anyone could say anything else, Spike suddenly woke up. With a fiery belch, a letter materialized.

"Huh. That's odd," said Twilight, picking up the letter with her magic. "Why would Princess Celestia write to me at this time of night?"

As she undid the scroll, her eyes widened with shock. "Mr. Magnet, show us the way to those underground waterways, now!"

"Huh? What's wrong, Twilight?" asked a very groggy Spike.

"This isn't a letter. It's a wanted poster," said Twilight. "The Chimera has broken out of Tartarus!"

Rarity was equally horrified. "Wait, the Chimera? As in the same Chimera in that book you lent to Sweetie Belle for her book report?"

"I'm not sure," said Twilight. "The city of Argoats where the story takes place disappeared centuries ago. There's no historical record to prove the story true or false."

"Who cares?" yelled Spike, who was now very much awake. "If there's a monster on the loose, and Tartarus is in the same direction as the mountains, then this is a real crisis!"

"Oh, of all the worst things that can happen, this is THE, WORST, POSSIBLE, THING!" cried Rarity.

"Yeah, no kidding," said Twilight, taking her friend's melodrama seriously. "Mr. Magnet, we should get moving."

"Of course, of course," said Steven. "Quick, on my back. We can get there faster. Oh, I just hope Cerberus is okay."

"You and me both," said Twilight as the sea serpent helped her and Rarity onto his back.

"Now, hold on tight, dearies!" said Steven Magnet. And with that, they were gone in a flash.