• Published 1st Jan 2013
  • 7,841 Views, 341 Comments

TCB: A World At War - mcb893



As the second world war sparks to life, Equestria appears, forcing former enemies to unite to defeat the threat.

  • ...
24
 341
 7,841

Prologue: SOS

November 19, 1939
Somewhere in the Mid Atlantic

Lieutenant Commander George R. Miles walked onto the bridge of Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Saguenay. It was a River-class destroyer, commissioned ten years earlier for the Canadian Navy.

At the moment, it was escorting a number of Canadian troop and supply ships across the Atlantic Ocean, for service on the European front. Although the seas were beautiful, the sky clear, the Captain was well aware of the near constant danger of German submarines. Just last week, a British cruiser had been sunk by a well aimed torpedo. The news was worrying to say the least.

“Captain on deck!” A sailor called out. Miles acknowledged the call with a nod, and proceeded to walk over to his first officer.

“Lieutenant Ackerson,” he said, “Anything happening?”

“No, sir,” he replied, “everything’s quiet. Nothing happening at all.”

“Lieutenant, you should know by now that any time it’s quiet, something’s about to happen,” The captain half joked.

“We got word from the Brits, sir,” the first officer replied, “Berwick and York are both making good time. We’ll rendezvous in three days.”

“Good, good,” Miles replied. Halfway through the crossing, two British destroyers would take over escort duties. Task completed, the Saguenay, along with her companion, the St. Lawrence, would turn back for Halifax, their home port.

Picking up a set of binoculars, he scanned the waters ahead of them. Like the first officer had said, there was nothing of interest. No periscopes, no ships on the horizon, no marine wildlife.

Lowering the binoculars, he turned to Ackerson to inform him that he could go off watch when suddenly, a blinding light filled the bridge.

“What the f...!” A sailor exclaimed, as everyone instinctively covered their eyes. The bright flash blinded the entire crew almost instantaneously.

All of a sudden, the ship lurched, moving up and down as gigantic waves slammed into them. The entire crew collapsed, disoriented, and unable to maintain their balance.

After what seemed like hours, Miles’ vision returned slowly, extremely dark and spotty. He struggled to get up, but failed and collapsed again. The ship slowly began to settle as the waves returned to normal, and Miles tried again to stand. He successfully made it up onto one knee, but a massive pounding in his head prevented him from thinking clearly.

What just happened? He thought to himself. He stood slowly, holding his head as the migraine lowered in intensity.

“It hurts, sir, it hurts!” A sailor screamed out to his right, startling him. Turning his head, he saw a petty officer with his hands clutched over his tightly closed eyes, screaming repeatedly, “It hurts so much!”

Unable to process this bit of information, the Captain looked out the bridge window to try and figure out what had caused all of this. He was shocked to find a massive purple barrier less than one hundred meters from his ship. It was visually massive, curving slightly up in a dome shape. Horizontally, however, it seemed a gigantic wall, hundreds of kilometers across.

“My god,” he said to himself, unable to form any other words. “Helmsman!” He called out weakly, “Helmsman! Hard starboard!”

There was no reply. The captain wasn’t sure why he was bothering to try and issue orders, when he could clearly see his entire crew was still on the floor of the bridge in various states of shock.

He struggled to get over to the wheel in the hopes of saving his ship. Gripping the edge tightly, he started rotating it to the right as far as it would go.

As the ship tilted over about twenty five degrees, he could see the bow gradually moving to the side.They were closing fast on the unknown barrier, and the Captain realised that they would not clear it in time. He hoped to god that they could pass through it.

They couldn’t. The bow smashed into the barrier, shattering and seemingly disintegrating as it continued forward. The ship started to take on water, and it lost its forward momentum as it continued to tilt over to the right almost ninety degrees. All around them, the dozen ships that made up convoy HX-1 were all suffering similar fates. The bridge crew slid to one side, falling against the wall as the ship capsized.

As the ship was obliterated, the captain managed to form one, final, semi-coherent thought. This is all going to shit.


Constellation was a young pegasus who loved the night. Her cutie mark, the constellation Orion, seemed to truly signify her personality and talent. It was the middle of the night, and she had decided to leave her home in the coastal town of Shell Beach for a midnight flight.

That was when two things had happened.

First, all of a sudden, without any warning, it was the middle of the day. The bright sun hung high in the sky, causing her to cover her eyes from the quick change. With her eyes starting to adjust, she landed on the soft sand of the oceanside beach.

“What just happened?” She asked, thinking aloud. After a few moments, she opened her eyes and looked out across the water, and what she saw shocked her.

Almost a dozen, giant, metallic objects were rushing straight toward her at incredible speed.

Oh, Celestia, an invasion! She thought to herself. Thinking back, she quickly recalled a royal dispatch they had received just yesterday. It had been going on about how Equestria would be ‘Transported across worlds’ to a planet inhabited by aliens who were at war with each other, in order to spread peace, love, and kindness.

Of course, the town had assumed it was some kind of prank. Nopony had really taken it seriously. But when she saw those metal monsters rushing across the water, she knew immediately that it wasn’t a prank. And if these aliens were at war, rushing straight toward her... it had to be an invasion. She prepared to fly, to inform the local royal guard detachment, which was only four guards strong.

That was when the second thing happened.

As what she now realised were ships came within about one hundred and fifty metres of the coast, a previously invisible purple barrier appeared out of thin air. The bow of the ship in the lead disappeared. All of a sudden, it blew up in a spectacular explosion.

Constellation stared wide eyed as the exact same thing happened to every single ship. Soon, what hadn’t been disintegrated was flaming flotsam.She stared, mouth agape at the destruction she had just witnessed.

Quickly, she took off, initially heading for the flaming wreckage to look for survivors. Immediately, though, it occurred to her that maybe the survivors would not be friendly. Maybe they were trying to invade, but were bested by some sort of magical defence that she was not aware of? No, she couldn’t take the risk. Making a 180 degree turn, she headed for the local guard outpost.


HMS Berwick
Other side of the dome

Captain Jonathan Dunbar breathed a sigh of relief as his vessel, the HMS Berwick, came to a safe stop paralleling the unknown barrier that had just appeared in front of them. They had missed it by about 200 metres.

“6-5, 6-5, this is 9-0, come in, over,” A voice crackled over the radio. Dunbar’s communications officer, Sub Lieutenant Phillips, answered. “9-0, 6-5, we read you five on five. Go ahead with your transmission, over,” he said into the microphone.

“6-5, we’re stopped safely 4-0 ft to your starboard side. What’s your status, over?”

Dunbar stopped listening as various sections of the ship started giving him damage reports. “Weapons, all clear,” “Engines, small leak in number two oil pump,” “Bilge Bay, we have a slightly injured crewman,”

It seemed that they had avoided any major damage. At least there was one thing Dunbar could be grateful for.

“...will advise on course of action. Out.” Philips finished off.

“Sir,” his first officer reported, “no major damage.”

The captain nodded numbly. “What the hell just happened?” He demanded.

“No idea, sir. One second, everything’s fine, next second we’re all bloody blind.”

Dunbar grabbed the binoculars from behind him and peered out at the nearby wall of translucent purple.

“Looks almost like glass,” he muttered to himself, “but there’s something behind it. Wait. That’s a...” He trailed off, and an expression of shock filled his features.

“Sir?” the first officer inquired.

“You look through these and tell me what you see.” The captain said, handing the binoculars over. The first officer took them and peered through them.

“Is that a... mountain?” He exclaimed.

“So I haven’t gone crazy.” The captain grunted. The rest of the bridge crew were reacting with a range of expressions anywhere between confusion and shock. The first officer slowly lowered the binoculars, looking over towards Dunbar.

“What the hell do we do now, sir?” He enquired. The captain didn’t know how to reply. Unlike most of the sailors on board, he hadn’t signed up when the war started. He was a career sailor, with thirty years of experience in the navy, but he had never seen anything remotely close to this. He was saved from replying, however, by a call from one of the bridge officers.

The internal microphone system pinged. “Radar,” it said. Dunbar picked it up and replied. “Conn, go ahead.”

“Sir, we have incoming, bearing 284. Target consistent with the size of a moderately sized battleship. Speeds of approximately 3-0 knots. Distance less than one nautical mile.”

“30 knots? There’s no way that’s a ship. If it is, it’s the fastest ship I’ve ever seen.” The captain exclaimed. He turned to his first officer. “Ship, 284, 30 knots. Start scanning.”

“Yes sir,” the first officer replied. Picking up the binoculars, he aimed them in the general direction.

“Weapons. Weapons Readiness Yellow,” he said, “XO, you have anything?”

“Nothing on the water, sir,” he said. He paused for a moment with hesitation. “What?” Dunbar asked. “Well, sir, it looks like a flock of birds is headed this way. Very fast... about thirty knots, actually!”

“What?” Dunbar grabbed the binoculars from his first officer. “What the hell...” A large group of what looked large birds at first were flying towards the ship. What caught Dunbar’s eye, however, was the glinting golden... was that armor?

Less than five seconds later, the flock was upon them. It was clear the Dunbar that these were not birds, but rather what looked like a flying... horse... thing.

“Bloody hell,” he heard one of the officers mutter.

The strange creatures hovered over the bow of his ship, their strange golden armor shining brightly.

His weapons officer, Sub Lieutenant Brixby, called up to the bridge. “Sir, we have our air defences up.” He said.

“Hold fire,” the captain immediately replied. He watched as three or four of the horses landed on his bow deck. The Berwick didn’t have a security force on board, and they had no small arms. If they were attacked, they would have no defence.

“OOD has the conn,” the captain said, “XO, on me.” The crew on deck stared at the strange creatures, which was returned by the armoured horses.

The captain, followed by his first officer, walked out of the bridge and into the fresh, salty air. Climbing down some stairs, they approached the bow deck, ready to greet the strange aliens that had boarded their ship.