• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 4,765 Views, 1,170 Comments

Sweet Apple Anthology - Bad_Seed_72



First sequel to Tangled Roots. After Babs Seed moves to Sweet Apple Acres, seven years of lessons about friendship, love, and family shape her into the mare she ultimately becomes.

  • ...
6
 1,170
 4,765

Year Three: Taboo

Year Three: Taboo

Diamond Tiara awoke the morning after the dual cute-ceañera with less reluctance than usual. She stretched her forehooves and threw back her covers—thick, hoof-stitched wool quilts and imported cotton sheets from Saddle Arabia—and hopped out of her canopy bed. The perfectly polished silver tiara waited for her delicate touch as always. One of her father’s numerous servants dedicated his duties solely to caring for this treasure.

She quickly ran a brush through her thick mane before donning her trademark. A beautiful young mare—barely fifteen and attracting the attention of some of the most worthy colt suitors in this town—found it quite fitting that her cutiemark matched her most prized possession. She’d made this tiara herself years ago, and found her special talent in the same day.

Though, Diamond reasoned, she was far above a mere jeweler. Although the trade required careful and dainty hooves (something she could more than manage), it was still a refuge of trades-ponies. Those who couldn’t hold their own in the spirited competition and topsy-turvy nature of the corporate world were delegated to working with their mere hooves.

No, Diamond Tiara was far above such simplicity. Her father’s business boomed in Ponyville and far beyond. When his blessed time came, she would inherit his wealth and power. Barnyard Bargains would flourish in her worthy grasp.

As she trotted down the stairs, scent of the chef’s wondrous cuisine mocking her hunger, Diamond vowed that, someday, she’d find a replacement supplier for Zap Apple Jam. Surely the mysterious fruit must grow somewhere beyond the borders of Sweet Apple Acres. Somewhere in Ponyville, Equestria, or Earth itself, respectable, fine, sane ponies must cultivate the crop.

“Good morning, Madame Diamond Tiara,” a servant greeted, bowing low to his mistress as she strode into the kitchen. “The chef has prepared your favorite this morning. Buckwheat pancakes.”

She merely nodded a sliver of acknowledgment. Pulling up a stool, the filly spread her cloth napkin across her lap and took a careful first bite of her breakfast, utensils balanced perfectly and professionally. She’d learned only the finest from her father. The wealthiest stallion in Ponyville expected nothing less.

The lowly stallion brought a fine glass of orange juice to complement his employer’s meal. Setting it down carefully, he attempted, as he always did, to engage her in conversation. “Madame Diamond Tiara, I hope you enjoy this juice. It is freshly squeezed and imported from only the finest fields.”

“Whatever,” she said with a growl, taking another bite of syrup-drenched pancakes.

Restraining the urge to sigh, the servant tried a different tactic. “M’lady, your father wanted me to pass onto you that he has signed your permission slip for today’s class. He wanted to speak with you face-to-face regarding this, er, interesting topic, but unfortunately was not able to do so. There was a very important early-morning meeting he could not miss at the office.”

Diamond Tiara stopped her fork mid-bite. Permission slip.

But, of course. Today was going to be an interesting day in Cheerilee’s class. Diamond Tiara, along with her lesser classmates, would be discussing reproduction, sexuality, and the basics of parenthood.

To his baffled ears, Diamond Tiara chuckled and replied, “Oh, that is more than alright. I’m sure we’ll all be learning some very important things in class today. Father will hear all about it once he gets home.”

Wealthy enough to afford only the most extensive and expensive dental care, she smiled, wide and bright, towards a pale stallion.

~

Apple Bloom and Babs Seed found the school bell, once again, to be a worthy savior. Barely rushing inside before it chimed for the final time, the two fillies filed into the classroom and took their seats at the back of the class. They could only blame themselves for their delinquency. Applejack, predictably, was less than amused by their tardiness the evening earlier, and retaliated with a stern lecture over breakfast.

Opening her saddlebag, Babs retrieved a sheet of parchment and a pencil. Apple Bloom mimicked her cousin and busied herself with the same, avoiding the teacher’s glare. Woulda been fine iffa AJ jus’ woulda let it go! How’s dat fo’ irony? Complain’ ‘bout us bein’ late an’ nearly makin’ us tardy ‘gain. Horseapples!

Cheerilee shook her muzzle disapprovingly at the two Apples tucked into a corner (both fillies doing their best to act nonchalant) and began to scribble out her lesson plan on the chalkboard. “SEX ED 101.”

The words elicited a wave of giggles from her students. With a quick snap of her neck and flared nostrils, Cheerilee silenced the jesters. Well, most of them. Snips and Snails appeared to be fairing the worst of them all, cackling under their forehooves.

“What’s so funny?” Cheerilee stared straight at the offenders.

Snips quickly swallowed his laughter and blurted, “Nothing, Miss Cheerilee!”

“Yeah! Not… a… thing,” Snails hiccuped.

“Hmph.” Cheerilee turned back to the chalkboard and continued to highlight the main points of today’s lesson. The mare had kept her small class mostly intact throughout the years, losing only a few students to transfers. Other teachers in the tiny schoolhouse bothered themselves with only one grade, rehashing the same subject matter season after season. Cheerilee, however, preferred to see her students grow, blossom, and bloom, and kept the same group of pupils.

“Alright, class. Today, we shall begin discussing the basics of reproduction and sexuality. It is my understanding that all of your guardians have signed off on this lesson?” A room full of expectant fillies and colts slowly nodded. “Great! Let us begin.”

Cheerilee launched into a complex discussion regarding gametes, meiosis, fertilization, and gestation of foals. Through this scientific portion of the lecture, the classroom remained mostly silent. Pens and pencils scratched out hasty notes, jotting down the best they could manage. Most terms went misspelled.

Babs Seed muttered to herself, “Dis is ridiculous…”

“Quiet, Babs!” Apple Bloom shushed.

“What? We know dis junk already,” Babs hissed back. Apple Bloom rolled her eyes and face-hoofed. At least I know. Twilight’s got a lot o’ books. Heh. Heh. “C’mon, Bloom, I know—“

“Quiet back there!” Cheerilee shouted. Slapping a yardstick between her forehooves, she warned, “This is a serious discussion! Any sort of trouble-making will not be tolerated, and that goes for you two as much as anypony!”

Sinking into her seat, Apple Bloom glared at her cousin and shook her muzzle. Raising an eyebrow, Babs stared back at her, yearning for the blessing of telepathy. Oh, c’mon, not like we can get in much mo’ trouble at dis point. AJ’s already gonna run me inta the ground wit’ chores once we get home.

Continuing her lesson, Cheerilee cleared the chalkboard and began to write down a host of (mostly) unfamiliar terms. Once she’d finished her litany, she turned to the class. “Anypony have any questions?”

Near the front of the class, a forehoof shot towards the ceiling.

“Yes, Diamond Tiara?”

“Miss Cheerilee, so far, you’ve discussed mares and stallions being together, correct? How foals are made and born?”

“Yes, Diamond Tiara, that’s right.”

“Well… my question is about something a little different.”

Babs Seed stopped writing. So did the three fillies sitting near here. Four Cutie Mark Crusaders willed Diamond Tiara to shut her foul muzzle, anticipating her next words. She’d never uttered them to the Crusaders, but, somehow, they knew she’d longed to say them.

And when she did, none of them could believe their ears—along with the rest of the class.

“What about mares being together?” Diamond asked innocently.

Cheerilee almost dropped her chalk.

Diamond continued, “I mean, it’s not unheard of around here, isn’t it? My father personally knows a few mares who are… like that. What about that, Miss Cheerilee? Are we going to talk about that today?”

“W-well, Diamond Tiara,” the teacher slowly replied, “that isn’t exactly what today’s lesson is a-about. But, since you asked, I can go ahead and explain it the best I can…”

“Good. I know there are some ponies in our class who would love to know.”

Diamond Tiara turned in her seat and winked at Babs Seed and Apple Bloom, both fillies blushing furiously and gritting their teeth in the corner. Of the pair, it was Babs Seed one who felt her heart begin to thunder its anger, temperature rising, blood rushing, molecules spurred in the wake of the obvious. Youze lil’ bitch.

Cheerilee clasped her forehooves together nervously. Though Equestria had come into an enlightened age a few decades ago, granting the privilege of marriage to couples of all genders, the topic remained a point of contention—especially among those of old bits and blood. Tradition was of paramount importance to some, insignificant among the rest. As a public schoolteacher, it was the mare’s duty to balance these opposites and meet (somehow) in the middle.

With a deep breath, Cheerilee answered, “Well... sometimes…ponies fall in love with the same sex, Diamond Tiara. We can’t control who we love. Sure, it might seem strange, but, it’s just what happens to—“

“What about ponies who are related?”

SNAP!

The classroom and Cheerilee snapped towards the noise. On one filly’s desk, a pencil laid in halves, graphite and wood broken with little effort. Ears completely flattened, Babs Seed glared daggers, knives, swords, and bullets at the smug filly. Metal Crown merely grinned and winked once more.

A mental line was violated with a simple question.

Cheerliee furrowed her brow. “Diamond Tiara, you and I both know the answer to that.”

Giggling, Crown said, “I thought so. But I was just checking. Some of us might be confused.”

Apple Bloom poked her Babs Seed in the ribs. She did not respond and began to exhale slow, deep breaths, counting down to zero. “Babs… don’t… don’t let her—“

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!

“Class, let’s break for recess, and when we return, we’ll continue our lecture.”

~

One of the last to exit the classroom, Babs Seed stomped all four of her hooves with each step, watching Metal Crown and Brass Fork murmur excitedly to themselves. On both sides of her, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo muttered insults and dismissals towards her agitator.

“Don’t let her get to you!”

“She’s just trying to get back at us for not inviting her!”

“I don’t think it’s bad if… if you’re like that…”

“You either, Apple Bloom…”

Apple Bloom stared at the floorboards first and, next, the grass, four fillies reaching the fields and playground at last. Far too old for games of four-square or hoofball, most of the teenage fillies and colts opted instead to play solitaire, chess, dice, or (for the toughs) poker on the blacktop. Others played catch or arranged simple team games. Still others sat on their haunches and gossiped, sharing secrets, giggling about crushes, cursing their enemies.

Babs Seed strode towards two fillies sitting on the grass. Crown and Fork laughed amongst themselves, practically rolling from their humor. What was so funny, of course, was nothing more than the sight of an enraged bully and a blushing blankflank. Nopony had said it, though everypony surely knew.

And soon would.

“Babs! Let it go!” Scootaloo urged. The pegasus snaked one of her forelimbs around the taller filly’s shoulders. It was of no use. Brushing her off, Babs continued, taking slow, thundering hoof-steps.

Sweetie Belle added, “It’s not worth it! You’ll get in huge trouble!” She tried to slow the bullet train marching its way towards its antagonists, but failed just as badly as her pegasus friend. Exchanging worried glances, two Crusaders pulled Babs back again. “Come on, Apple Bloom, help us! She’s going to—“

Apple Bloom couldn’t respond. Her words were cut short by the laughter and challenge of another filly. “Going to what?”

Metal Crown rose from her haunches and trotted up towards the filthy, rotten Orange. “What are you going to do, Babs? Defend your fillyfriend? Or your cousin? Oh, wait, I forgot, they’re the same pony.”

Now, Apple Bloom took to her hooves, pulled from her haze and joining Babs’ side. “Leave us alone, Diamond Tiara! We didn’t do anythin’ ta ya!”

“That’s funny. That’s really funny,” she jabbed. “But, not as funny as this is going to be…”

Before any of the three Crusaders could demand an explanation, or the fourth could let loose the growl burning through her muzzle, Diamond Tiara shouted, “HEY EVERYPONY!”

Dice slowed their roll, cards halted in mid-flip, and the entirety of Cheerilee’s classroom froze and stared at her. Diamond Tiara pointed to the bully and the blankflank and decreed, “GUESS WHAT WE SAW BABS AND APPLE BLOOM DOING LAST NIGHT?”

Silver Spoon began to giggle uncontrollably, watching the spectacle with delight. Her best and only friend joined her mirth, laughing as she hissed, “Oh, that’s right, we were watching you, you sick, twisted fillyfoolers.”

All blood and color drained from one muzzle. Another compensated, countenance crimson with rage, adrenaline demanding fight-or-flight. She chose fight.

“EVERYPONY, THEY WERE—“

With a spring off her hindhooves, Babs Seed freed herself from her restraints, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle unable to contain her. Ripped from their hooves, she charged, rocketing towards insanity. Babs Seed leapt towards Metal Crown, iron forehooves raised, and tackled her to the grass. “Youze bitch!”

Metal Crown proved to be much more than just talk. Flat on her back, she reached up and punched the bad seed straight in the snout. Babs flinched but remained, towering over her, reckless and wild. “Get off me, you dyke!”

Blood gushing from her nose, Babs Seed coughed and snarled “Gladly.” She pulled the filly off the grass by her forehooves. She steadied her opponent, raising Crown to meet her, then striking back with a forehoof of her own. Crown caught the blow in her muzzle and flew backwards, landing on the unforgiving ground once more.

All around them, fillies and colts circled and began a chant. “FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle struggled to push through the circle and sweep up their fourth member. Snips, Snails, and a few others pushed them away, keeping one eye on the most entertaining thing many had or ever would see. Apple Bloom galloped around the huddle, seeking to breach the other side.

Brass Fork rushed to her leader, pulling her off the ground. Stomping towards the bleeding bad seed, she screamed, “DON’T YOU HURT HER!” and swung a punch of her own. Babs Seed dodged and returned fire. Fork collapsed next to Crown, stuck in the throat, catching her breath somewhere between the cool, green grass dotted with blood and the blue skies above.

“Youze want some mo’?! HUH?!” Mind blank of any comprehensible thought, Babs Seed only knew the fire and the fury, burning through her chest, compelling her to stomp back towards her antagonists once more. Within her irises, Crown flashed red, her mane as black as night.

Weakly, Crown tilted her neck, spitting in Babs's face. She missed her target, far too dainty for such a disgusting gesture. “At least I don’t buck my cousin,” she challenged, stumbling to her hooves.

A yellow blur slipped past two cheering colts and their wagers. This blur reached out with its forehooves but proved too slow. The orange blur charged and connected, pummeling the pink filly over and over again. It was a sea of colors and hooves and shrieks.

Finally, Cheerilee rushed from the schoolhouse, drawn by the shouts and chants and speeding through the circle. Barely only a few inches taller than Babs Seed—who was in complete control of everything but her own emotions, Diamond Tiara a nail now, and she was the hammer—the schoolteacher grabbed Babs by her mane. “STOP IT! STOP FIGHTING!”

Yipping in pain, the tug of her roots more discomforting than her nosebleed, Babs halted her forehooves and laughed. “She started it, Miss Cheerilee! Why don’t youze yell at her?!”

“Miss Cheerilee, that’s a lie!” Fork whined. Assisting her bloody, bruised friend to her hooves, she continued in her hypocrisy, “Babs attacked us!”

“No, she didn’t! Miss Cheerilee, Diamond Tiara started it!” Scootaloo said.

Sweetie Belle added, “Yes, it was her, Miss Cheerilee! Babs was just defending herself!”

Apple Bloom refraining from audibly adding, An’ me. Instead, she steadied her cousin, who trembled in her stance. Cheerliee looked to the crowd—antagonists, allies, and bystanders alike—and ordered, “Everypony but Babs Seed and Diamond Tiara, back inside! NOW!”

The crowd dispersed immediately. The schoolteacher pointed at Apple Bloom and Silver Spoon, neither fillies obeying, glued to their best friend’s side. “You both take them home. Now. You two are excused for the rest of the day. Babs, Diamond, your guardians will be hearing about this.”

Cheerilee offered them all one last piercing glare and took to her hooves after her students, herding them back inside the schoolhouse.

The door slammed shut once the last of the innocents were secured. Left to their own devices, the four turned to each other, two within the group refusing to break their staring contest.

“C’mon, Babs, let’s go,” Apple Bloom whispered, leaning against her and urging her towards town.

Babs Seed shook in all four of her limbs from an aftershock of the adrenaline, but felt no pain. From deep within came the call of something primal, something natural selection should have erased in its disuse. When Apple Bloom heard it, she instinctively pricked her ears, searching for timberwolves.

“Grrrrr.”

“Did you just growl at Diamond Tiara?!” Fork demanded. Shorter and smaller than the fillyfooler, she nevertheless shielded her friend, and took a hoof-step towards her opponent. “What the hay is wrong with you?!”

Between her jaws, the wolf in pony’s clothing said, “I should ask youze the same question.”

“Jus’ leave us alone, Silver Spoon!” Apple Bloom snapped. “We didn’t do anythin’ ta you, an’ we’re goin’ home!”

Crown brushed past Fork dismissively. There was still fight flowing through her, and required no assistance from her little follower. Ignoring Fork's crestfallen expression, Crown taunted to her opponent, “Have fun! Maybe you can get your dim-witted brother to provide the extra chromosomes for your incestuous love child! Then your family can be completely messed up! Oh, wait, that’s—“

THUD!

Apple Bloom looked down at her forehoof.

Diamond Tiara looked back up at the sky.

Babs Seed smiled at Apple Bloom.

Silver Spoon looked down at Diamond Tiara.

“Good job, Apple Bloom.” Babs Seed chuckled, and, before Crown or Fork could reply or throw up their own opposition, wrapped a forehoof around her cousin’s neck. “Let’s go.”

They galloped to Sweet Apple Acres, never looking back, ignoring the cries behind them.

~

Upon their arrival, Applejack tended to Babs Seed’s wounds first. Thankfully, there was no need for iodine this time. Apple Bloom suffered no injuries, pronounced fit as a fiddle after a quick once-over.

The nosebleed ceased, the bruises were iced, and once everything seemed in good, working order, Applejack pointed Babs towards the fields and ordered, “Go help Big Mac an’ think ‘bout what ya did.”

“Youze ain’t ma motha!” she protested.

“Auntie Orange’d be worse than me right now if she was here. You should be thankful fer that. Now, go outside an’ help Mac finish his chores befo’ Ah pop ya one.”

Grumbling under her breath, Babs Seed stomped out of the farmhouse, slamming the front door as she left. Apple Bloom turned to Applejack and began, “Applejack, it ain’t—“

“Ah don’t wanna hear it, Bloom.” Applejack hopped off the couch and motioned towards the corridor and stairs to the fillies’ bedroom. “Go in yer room. Ah’ll come back an’ talk ta ya in a while ‘bout this. Ah gotta go make peace wit’ Filthy Rich first.”

“But… but… ya don’t understand, Applejack! Diamond Tiara, she—“

“Ah said NOW.”

Apple Bloom leapt to her hooves, glared at her unwavering sister, sighed overdramatically, and slipped out of the living room. Up the stairs she went, cursing Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, the day, and her own foolishness.

On the first level, Applejack face-hoofed and mumbled, “Teenagers.”

~

“Hello, Applejack.”

“Evenin’, sir.”

“I assume you are here because of that fight between my daughter, your sibling, and your cousin.”

“That’s right.”

“Before I speak on that, I have a question. Something I hope you can help me with. You know, I’ve been sending letters to Manehatten for a few years now. Bernie Madhoof—your uncle—was once a great business partner and friend of mine. He has not responded to a single letter.”

“… Ain’t that a surprise.”

“Hmph. It sure was. Considering he nearly has a monopoly on the entire orange fruit industry in Manehatten, Ponyville, Trottingham, and Appleloosa, one would think he would have bits to hire a secretary. I’ve had half a mind to pay him a visit, but such an arrangement cannot be made if one party will not respond.”

“Nope.”

“I assume you have no other address or contacts for him?”

“Nope.”

“Ah.”

“Anyway, Mister Filthy, Ah’m so sorr—“

“Mister Rich.”

“Heh. Yes. Mister Rich. Well, again, Ah’m so sorry fer—“

“For your sister and cousin beating up my daughter? I’d certainly hope so.”

“Well, yes. But, ya’ll see that—“

“That you’re lucky I haven’t decided to cut my contract with your precious farm? That I haven’t completely dropped you as a supplier? Applejack, do you believe in luck?”

“Now listen here! Yer precious lil’ daughter has been tormentin’ ma sister an’ her friends fer years! Years, Fil—”

“MISTER RICH!”

“Mister Rich! Tarnation! No need ta scream! Anyway, she had it comin’. Attackin’ Babs an’ Bloom like that, fer no damn good—”

“I will NOT tolerate you using profanity in my presence.”

“Ah’m sorry. But it calls fer it. What Diamond Tiara did was outrageous. Why Cheerilee ain’t suspendin’ her fer mo’ than a day, Ah have no idea. An’ Tiara hit Babs, too. Now don’t get me wrong—Babs an’ Bloom are gonna be punished good fer this, too—but it’s yer daughter’s fault in the end.”

“I beg to differ, especially if what my daughter says is true about that sibling and that cousin of yours.”

“… That’s irrelevant, an’ none o’ yer business ta be discussin’.”

“Fair enough.”

“Good. Now, either you o' yer filly apologize ta ma sis an’ ma cousin, o’ we’re done.”

“How dare you! You are in no position to bargain with me! That is my specialty, Applejack. You are nothing but a mere farmer, a working-class stooge.”

“Is that so?! Ha! We’ve got plenty mo’ customers than yer Barnyard Bargains stores, an’ we won’t be missin’ ya if Ah drop ya. An’ drop ya, Ah want ta. Like a brick. Like the slime ya are.”

“... You!!”

“Ah think we’re done here, seein’ as ya ain’t apologizin’.”

~

Celestia damn it all ta the gates o’ Tartarus. Motherbuckin’, no good, haughty, ugly, bratty, bitchy, motherbuckin'—

“Evening, Babs,” Big Macintosh greeted with a smile. The stallion stood beside his plow, collar expectant around his neck. A fresh patch of land waited, ripe for the tilling. Several bags of seed and fertilizer lay strewn about the soil, promises of carrots, potatoes, and turnips to come. The equinox had arrived, bringing with it the time to plant. “Do ya wanna help me wit’ plantin’ tonight?”

Blowing a single strand of mane from her eyes, Babs Seed shrugged, replying, “Sure, why not?”

He chuckled. “Looks like yer mane’s gettin’ long ‘gain.”

“I know. Can youze cut it fo’ me soon?”

“Eeyup.”

“Thanks.”

“Somethin’ wrong? Ya look pretty bruised-up.”

She deflected, “I’ll tell youze ‘bout it later. Fo’ now, can I try pullin’ the plow, Mac?”

Big Macintosh hesitated. This particular task had always been assigned to him: a chore he’d learned from his father, who learned it from his father before him… It was stallion’s work, plain and simple. Most mares didn’t possess the strength or desire to challenge the stereotype. Fillies even less so.

Regardless, he turned to the frowning filly, noting the spark flashing through her eyes. Something was indeed wrong. Something very troubling. If anypony knew the consolation and peace that could be found in grueling physical labor, it was Big Macintosh. And he wasn’t about to deny such an escape to somepony who needed it.

Big Macintosh removed his heavy collar and trotted over to her. “Ya sure ya wanna try this? It’s not as easy as it looks. This one’s pretty new, so ya shouldn't have too much trouble, but—“

“Yea, I want ta."

“Alright.”

Babs Seed lowered her head and allowed the stallion to slip the collar over her neck. It was heavy against her neck and shoulders, but not overwhelmingly so. More uncomfortable was the coarse surface of the wood. Iffa I get splintas from dis thing, there’ll be hay ta pay.

Big Mac strode over to the plow next and stretched out the two connecting ropes. He tied careful, tight knots on either side of the collar, testing to ensure that the lines were strong and taut. The stallion noted that Babs Seed nearly matched his eldest sister in height. A little over three more years would pass before she crossed the threshold until adulthood and, surely then, she would surpass Applejack in stature.

Like most thoughts, he kept this one to himself: Babs Seed was built like a farm-pony. City life, in both nature and nurture, did not seem to suit her.

“Is it ready?” she asked.

“Eeyup. Jus’ go ‘head an’ start pullin’ it through the soil. Ah’ll be followin’ behind ya ta plant the seeds. If ya need a break o' somethin’, jus’ lemme know, alright, Babs?”

Babs Seed nodded. The moment of truth arrived as she took one hoof-step forward, then a second, and then began to find her pace. At first, the plow resisted, refusing to budge. Cursing enough to rival a Royal Guard, she tried again, inching forward with all her might. Big Macintosh watched in silence, choosing to disregard her profanity.

Finally, she trudged forward, the plow following behind her, cutting deep into the rich, thick soil. Muscles rippled and flexed under her coat. Her hooves burned their lactic acid, crying out for relief. Babs ignored them. How she’d managed to remain conscious throughout her battle with Metal Crown, she’d never understand. How she managed to (literally) plow through her haze and pain, only the Most High could know.

Keeping a steady pace, Babs Seed let her mind gallop wild and reckless. What is she gonna do now, dat awful filly? Is she gonna pull dis shit again? O’ did I teach her enough not ta mess wit’ me an’ Bloom? There’s nothin’ wrong wit’ us. Is there? But iffa there wasn’t, why would she—

“Slow down a bit, Babs. Yer gonna want ta turn right soon.”

“Oh. Thanks, Mac.”

“Eeyup.” The stallion tossed seeds into the tilled soil as fast as he could, surprised at her speed. She began to sweat under the setting sun, but didn’t slow in her rhythm, dragging her hooves and the blade through the mud.

What’s her damn problem? Her dad’s got enough bits ta buy Ponyville iffa he wanted. An’ she seems ta be a material filly. Stupid tiara an’ all. Maybe it don’t make her happy. It didn’t make me happy, havin’ all dem things. Glad I gave a bunch away befo’ I left.

Turning on a bit, Babs tilled the next row with ease. Her muscles began to scream beneath her fur, urging her to halt, but she ignored their cries. In the mindless, mundane motion, she found freedom. Anger dissipated from her hooves into the ground, steam and iron fading with row after row, seed after seed.

Finally, about halfway through the task, Big Macintosh broke the silence. “Are ya gonna tell me what’s wrong?”

“What do youze mean?”

“Why yer so quiet.”

“Dat’s pretty funny fo’ youze ta be worried ‘bout,” she huffed.

Big Mac glared at her.

“I’m sorry.” Babs sighed, frowning. “I’m jus’ takin’ it out on youze, an dat ain’t fair.”

“Takin’ what out?”

Babs Seed stopped in her tracks. Once he was beside her, clutching a half-empty bag of seeds, she spoke, staring at the ground. “I got in a fight at school, Big Mac.”

“Oh. What ‘bout?”

“Um…”

Setting the bag down, Big Macintosh lifted the filly’s chin with a forehoof, forcing her to look him straight in the eye. “Ya can tell me, Babs. Ah won’t be mad.”

“I know… it’s not dat…”

“What is it, then?”

Babs stammered, “I… um… well… somepony called me an’ Bloom…e r…”

Mac encouraged, “Called y’all… what, exactly?”

Blushing, she finished, “Fillyfoolers.”

She squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the onslaught, the tempest, the torrent, the wave of accusation and insults and questions. She waited to be condemned to the bowels of the Underworld and banished to a land far beyond Sweet Apple Acres. She waited for Big Macintosh to say something, anything.

A pair of unshorn fetlocks were embracing her torso and pulling her up on her hindhooves.

“Big Mac?”

The stallion hugged her tightly. “Yes, Babs?”

“Youze… youze aren’t mad?”

“Why would Ah be mad?”

“Well isn’t it wrong ta—“

He shook his muzzle and smiled. “Babs, Ah love ya. Ah’ll love ya no matter what ya are. Ah might not understand it, but Ah’ll still love ya. Same fer Bloom.”

Babs Seed returned his gesture, and knew, as the sky came afire with red, orange, and yellow, that, despite her protests to the contrary, Metal Crown was wrong. The strongest stallion she knew proved this truth, his words few and wise.

~

Knock, knock.

“Come in, sis.”

Applejack strode into the fillies’ bedroom sans Stetson, her mane wind-swept and frazzled. Apple Bloom sat on the bed’s edge, twiddling her forehooves in a hypnotic circle. Applejack plopped down on her haunches next to her and watched her distraction. “That sure looks like fun, Apple Bloom. Have ya been sittin’ like this since Ah sent ya up here?”

“Eeyup,” she answered, mimicking her brother.

Applejack sighed. “Well, Ah suppose Ah’d better ask ya this first. You must know how much we depend on everypony’s business by now, don’t ya?”

“Yes, Applejack, Ah do.”

“Good. Now listen here. Ah don’t wanna worry ya, but there’s some things ya need ta know. Yer gettin’ older, an’ soon yer gonna be helpin’ wit’ the business side of things on the farm. Ya understand that, right?”

Apple Bloom again said, “Yes, Applejack, Ah do.”

“Alright. Now. We fall on good times an’ hard times here, Bloom. It all depends on how the crops do. Both the regular ol' apples, the Zap Apples, an’ our own crops ta eat. Simple enough. But there’s mo’ than that. It’s also ‘bout how we conduct ourselves an’ how we treat other ponies. Ya understand?”

Irritated, Apple Bloom repeated, “Yes, Applejack.”

Applejack sighed. “Ah know yer a teenager, an’ don’t like ta be lectured, so—”

“So why are ya doin’ it?!” Apple Bloom slumped on her haunches and crossed her forehooves. “Ya don’t get it, Applejack. Ah know that what we did wasn’t right. Ah know that. It doesn’t change that Diamond came after us first, an’ we didn’t do a thing ta her!”

“Yer absolutely right,” Applejack said.

Apple Bloom's eyes widened. “W-what?”

“Ah said, yer absolutely right. Diamond Tiara’s been a bully ta you an’ yer friends fer how long now?”

“... Nearly five years, Applejack...”

“Right. An’ ya know what?”

“What, Applejack?”

For years, Applejack had acted as both Babs Seed’s and Apple Bloom’s substitute mother, guiding them, correcting them, punishing them. Both fillies—especially Babs—would soon be able to stand muzzle-to-muzzle to her, metaphorically and physically. Babs would tower over her. Bloom would come close.

They were saplings now, and, in time, would become full-grown trees, branches outstretched towards the skies beyond. Maybe, they would reach into the wild, and follow their own dreams. Applejack didn’t know. All she knew, in spite of her own admonitions towards violence, was that, today, she was proud.

“Ah think ya both did the right thing. An’ don’t worry ‘bout that Filthy Rich, neither. We don’t need him anymo'.”

“Really?! Ya really mean that?!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

Chuckling, Applejack replied, “O’ course Ah do. He refused ta apologize fer what his filly said, o’ what she’s done over these years, so Ah’m done wit’ him. She did say somethin’ ‘bout ya an’ Babs, didn’t she?”

Apple Bloom froze, speechless.

Applejack seized her opportunity and continued, “Look, lil’ sis. Ah’ll save most o’ ma thoughts on this later, fer when yer older. Fer now,” she said with a slight smile, “Ah jus’ want ya ta know that Ah’m alright wit’ it, an’ Ah love ya both. Ponies like Diamond Tiara are wrong.”

Apple Bloom chuckled and took her sibling’s forehoof in sincerity. “Ah know, Applejack. Ya know how Ah know?”

“How, lil’ sis?”

“Because, after all this time, Diamond Tiara never seems happy. She jus’ tears everypony else down. Ah don’t think she knows what love is, Applejack.”

“Do ya know what love is, Bloom?” Applejack asked.

Hopeful, Apple Bloom answered, “Maybe, someday, Ah will. Maybe... we both will.”