• Published 17th Jan 2012
  • 5,678 Views, 166 Comments

Wargames - Speven Dillberg



Ponies and griffons fighting, TF2 style.

  • ...
12
 166
 5,678

Prologue: Arrival

The RED Engineer pulled off his hard-hat and wiped the sweat from his brow. He had spent the last few hours maintaining the sentry gun that was defending their base in Teufort. “I really need to start bringin’ along a chair,” he muttered. Down in the courtyard was a large pile of body parts, the walls coated in blood and bits of BLU uniforms.

RED’s Soldier happened to walk past at that moment. “Quit your lolly-gagging, son! We have a war to fight!” he shouted, slamming a rocket into his launcher.

“In case you’ve forgotten, Soldier, mah job is to help defend.”

“Well maybe you should hiding behind your toys and FIGHT LIKE A MAN!” Soldier bellowed into Engineer’s face, spraying him with spit. Before he could give any more abuse there was a sound akin to the end of the world and the ground shook as though the earth would open up and swallow up both bases. “What is going on!?”

Engineer clung to his sentry gun to try and stabilize himself. “I don’t know, but I don’t like it.”

Then, just as suddenly as it had started, it was over. Engineer and Soldier looked each other in the eyes for a moment before shrugging.

“Did you guys feel that!?” RED’s Scout, his hat and headset askew, ran from the respawn room and skidded to a stop next to the pair, holding his scattergun close to his body.

“Stop being so scared, son! You’re acting like a disgrace!”

“Go easy, Soldier. I’ll admit, that was pretty terrifying.” There was a flash of green light that seemed to come from everywhere at once. All three looked around before Scout pointed a shaky finger up at the sky and began to stammer. “Well I’ll be,” Engie muttered, taking off his hard-hat and putting over his heart.

In the middle of the sky was a great green vortex. It looked like a cloud but seemed as solid as rock. It swirled slowly and lightning could be seen arcing within. All three could feel their hearts race as they gazed upon its unnaturalness. A feeling of deep unease fell upon them.

“That’s it, I’m outta here!” Scout ran full speed back to the respawn room, leaving Soldier shaking his head in shame.

“Damn it boy, you’re a disgrace to the uniform!” he yelled harshly at the retreating figure.

“You didn’t go angerin’ Merasmus again, didja Soldier?” Engineer asked, eyebrow raised. “Didja forget the whole Monoculus thing already?”

“I haven’t seen that bearded hippie in weeks. But when I do I will push my boot so far up his ass he’ll be coughing up boot polish!”

Engineer rolled his eyes and put his hard-hat back on. “Come on, Soldier. It’s about time for combat to end anyways.”

“Who’s making dinner tonight?” Soldier asked as he followed.

“I think it’s Pyro’s turn.”

“Ah hell.”


In the tallest tower of a great castle on a different world, there was a being. Four hooves, a long spiralled horn, great wings, a coat of midnight and a mane and tail of stars.This creature was focused on a spell unlike anything ever seen anywhere by anything, mortal or otherwise.

As the moon shone down on the tower, adding to this being’s considerable power, far off in the distance something began to appear. A building, unlike anything ever constructed on this world, seemingly made from nothing but wood and corrugated iron but sturdier than a mountain. It was marred by the scars of a near-constant conflict: bullet holes, small craters, even scorch marks.

It took close to an hour for the building to fully materialise. When it did, the creature who had called it into the world smiled strangely before collapsing from exhaustion.


Soldier was the first to wake, as he did every morning. He quickly and quietly dressed before making his way to the battlements of the Teufort base. When he did, he looked into the distance, expecting to see BLU’s base and their Soldier. Occasionally they shared a friendly salute. More often than not they ended up yelling insults at each other. Today was different. There was no BLU Soldier. There was no BLU base. Instead there was nothing but lush green fields as far as he could see. Soldier’s jaw dropped. “Boys!” he yelled out when he found his voice. “Boys!”

“What is it, Soldier?” came the reply, its owner coming into view wearing a vest, a slouch hat and holding a coffee mug that had the words “#1 Sniper” written on the side. “Bloody hell,” he said when he saw what Soldier had. “What did you do now?”

“What do you mean, what did I do?”

“Last time something like this happened you tried to give that damn magician a haircut.” Sniper raised an eyebrow and looked over the brim of his sunglasses. “You didn’t try that again, did you?”

“No I did not!” Soldier responded angrily. “And I swear that when I find whoever is responsible I will put my foot so far up their ass it will go back in time!”

“Vat’s vith all the yelling so early?” a heavily-accented voice asked. An austere man wearing glasses and a great white coat stepped out into the sunshine. It took him a moment to realise what was wrong with what he was seeing. “Oh.”

“Yeah,” Sniper replied before taking another sip from his cup. “Someone wake up Engineer. He’ll know what to do.”


Author's notes:

I have already decided who will be what class. There will be two OCs, both Royal Guards, taking over positions not filled in by the Mane Six and Big Macintosh.