• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 2,695 Views, 112 Comments

A True Surprise - Garbo



In the midst of planning a surprise party for a friend, Pinkie and Twilight find a surprise of their own

  • ...
11
 112
 2,695

1. When It's Love

“So then Lyra was like: Pinkie, I think I might be in love with Bon Bon.”

Twilight nodded, using her magic to lift a party streamer into place. At the same time, Pinkie Pie was rushing to get the last of the baked goods ready for the party the two mares were setting up. Normally, Pinkie would just set up the party with the help of her trusty party cannon, but the Cake Twins had somehow gotten into the closet where it was stored. By the time Pinkie had gotten there, it had been reduced to a pile of scraps. Twilight had been glad to help, especially considering who the party was for.

“So what happened next?” Twilight asked, continuing the conversation.

“Well, I didn’t really know what to think, Twilight. I mean, I’m not really a love councilor or anything. That’s Rarity’s thing.”

“That’s true.”

“So I just said the first thing that came into my head,” said Pinkie as she mixed up another batch of muffins.

“You didn’t sing her a song, did you?” joked the purple unicorn.

Pinkie laughed. “No, not at a party, silly; she wouldn’t be able to hear. No, I just said: Do whatever you think is right. That was a toughie, though. I mean, how are you supposed to know when to cross that line? Bon Bon and her were bestest buddies and she didn’t want to ruin her friendship. I can see how hard that would be.”

Twilight’s ears perked up at this. “You do?”

“Well, yeah. How are you supposed to choose between love and friendship if you don’t know how it’ll turn out?”

“Yeah,” said Twilight nervously. She looked up and Pinkie, who was too busy with her pastries to shoot her a look. If she had, she would’ve seen a very nervous unicorn. Trying to keep her breathing under control, she finished hanging up the one streamer and started the next.

“Hey Twilight, I’m going to get some more flour,” said the mare, walking into the storeroom.

“Okay,” replied Twilight. She waited until Pinkie closed the door behind her, and then let out a sigh of relief. Being in the same room with Pinkie wouldn’t normally make Twilight as nervous as she was now, but then again, all the talk about relationships wasn’t helping. Twilight knew that the mind didn’t always think rationally when romance was involved, but she still couldn’t tell if Pinkie was really dropping subtle hints or if it was just paranoia. Sighing, she floated another streamer over and put it up, letting her thoughts wander.

It wasn’t as if she was deeply in love with Pinkie. Twilight classified it as a crush, although she knew little of the technical terminologies of romance. Just a crush, plain and simple; not something she ever planned on acting on.

It had all started that day that Twilight had first found out about Pinkie’s twitches and how they somehow had the ability to transcend time and predict obscure events. She’d hooked Pinkie up to a machine, done research, and had a delivery truck full of supplies dumped on her head, but she’d never been able to explain how it was possible. For some reason, those events had brought out a romantic interest. She remembered reading somewhere that romance often starts for strange reasons, and it was apparently true.

It had been a long time since that day, though, and Twilight had buried those feelings under friendship reports, epic quests, and all the other parts of her life. In fact, she’d forgotten about them before she and Pinkie had started up that conversation. Lyra and Bon Bon’s situation shared striking similarities to her own. She didn’t know what to do. She could just bury her feelings like before, but for the first time, she didn’t feel like doing it. She wanted to tell Pinkie how she felt, and even though it was unlikely that the ever-happy mare would ever reject her as a friend, the prospect still frightened her.

“What in Equestria am I supposed to do?”

=-=-=-=-=

Meanwhile, Pinkie was in the supply room alone. But she wasn’t getting flour.

“Oh, I hope Twilight didn’t notice how nervous I was. I bet she did, didn’t she? Oh, what am I going to do?”

Pinkie Pie’s feelings were very similar to Twilight’s, but different in that they were newer. And Pinkie hadn’t had any time to bury those feelings, feelings that had come up when the two were in the Crystal Empire. Pinkie hadn’t thought of Twilight in any romantic light before that day. She hadn’t really ever felt that way about anyone, actually. But seeing the normally plain-looking mare transformed into a gorgeous, shining definition of equine beauty had changed her feelings drastically. Ever since she’d seen the studious mare in her crystal pony form, she couldn’t get her out of her mind. And now she was with her, alone, talking about romance.

“Ugh, I just can’t figure it out! I mean, if I do tell her, it might work out and that would be great. But what if she doesn’t want to be my friend anymore? And even if she is, she wouldn’t think about me the same way.”

“But if I don’t tell her, then I have to keep all these feelings inside,” desperately, she turned to her pet alligator for advice. “Gummy, what do you think I should do?”

The lizard just sat there, gumming on an orange he’d found. Somehow, Pinkie interpreted this as an answer.

“You think I need to get back out there and go for it? That’s a great idea! I should be more confident!” Striding back out the counter, her confidence lasted all of one second after she saw Twilight.

“Pinkie?”

“Uh, yeah Twilight?”

“I thought you said you were getting some flour.”

“Oh, well I didn’t really need it because … uh, you know … reasons!”

“Okay,” said Twilight skeptically, hiding her anxiousness behind a shield of sarcasm. She was sure she could see Pinkie Pie’s nervousness. She was fidgeting more than normal, her pupils were dilated, and she was wearing a very artificial-seeming grin. But again, Twilight didn’t want to discount her own paranoia as the reason. But either way, Twilight didn’t want to make this awkward for them both, and tried to salvage their former conversation.

“So, Pinkie, you were telling me about Lyra and Bon Bon before, right?”

Pinkie gulped. “Right. Well, Lyra decided to take my advice. She never told me exactly what happened, but she basically walked up to Bon Bon and told her she had feelings for her.”

“And how did that end up?” Twilight asked, genuinely curious.

“Well, I found them making out outside. They both thanked me for helping Lyra, even though I didn’t really do much. They’re still thanking me, and it’s been a week now. It’s kinda funny,” Pinkie chuckled nervously.

Twilight nodded calmly while her brain went into hyperdrive. She could’ve sworn Pinkie was just as nervous as she was.

Meanwhile, the mare in question walked around the counter and out into the main room, surveying the decorations Twilight had put up. She sighed.

“If she liked me, she would’ve made a move already,” Pinkie whispered to herself.

“What was that, Pinkie?” Asked Twilight, following right behind her.

The mare froze. She hadn’t thought Twilight would be able to hear her with her back turned. “I … uh …”

For the first time since she’d arrived, Twilight was hopeful. “You said something about somepony making a move, right? What’s that about?”

Now’s your chance, the pastry chef thought to herself. Go for it.

“Well, you know, Lyra and Bon Bon.”

“What about them?”

Come on, don’t lose this chance. You’ll probably never have anything like this again.

“Well, I was just thinking about Lyra, and how brave it was of her to just tell Bon Bon her feelings. I mean, if I was in love with somepony, I know I wouldn’t be able to do that.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, and not unlike Pinkie, a little voice in her head was cheering her on.

Paranoia be damned. What else could that possibly mean? She’s in to you; go get her. You can do it!

“Yeah, I probably wouldn’t be able to either.”

No, don’t do that! What are you thinking? She just gave it to you on a silver platter!

Pinkie turned around to look at Twilight. Maybe she’d given up too soon. The possibility that Twilight had feelings for her was leaving her speechless, which wasn’t something that happened too often to the normally energetic mare. She wanted to say it, but she just couldn’t say it. It could be a candlelit room with romantic music playing in the background, and she still probably wouldn’t be able to say it.

“I … uh-“

“Pinkie Pie! Twilight! What’s up!”

Startled, the two mares quickly backed away from each other. They’d been practically muzzle to muzzle without realizing it.

“Oh, hey Spike,” said Twilight, greeting the new arrival.

“Yeah, hi,” Pinkie added.

Spike shot them a quick smile before noticing the decorations and sugary sweets that adorned the walls and tables of Sugarcube Corner.

“Who’s the party for?” he asked.

Momentarily forgetting the mare next to her, Twilight answered. “… It was for you, Spike.”

“Really?”

Now that she had something else to focus on, Pinkie felt much less nervous. “Yep. You did such a good job with the crystal heart and all, so we decided to throw you a surprise party.”

Spike blushed. “Aw, you guys didn’t have to do that. It was nothing!”

Smiling, Twilight went over and gave Spike a warm hug, saying: “No, it wasn’t nothing, Spike. You were really brave.”

“Well, thanks,” he said, a look of concern spreading across his face. “Wait, I ruined the surprise, didn’t I?”

“Spike, its fine. It didn’t really need to be a surprise party.”

“Oh, good, ‘cause I don’t want to feel like I ruined anything.”

Twilight and Pinkie Pie laughed that one off, even though it wasn’t that funny. In their minds, Spike had ruined something, and even though both knew deep down they wouldn’t have done anything, they were eager for an excuse to blame it on rather than themselves.

Meanwhile, Spike was oblivious to the romantic tension that he’d just broken. Surveying the decorations and food with glee, he said: “So, when’s the party starting, then?”

Author's Note:

When It's Love - Van Halen
This story was commisioned by Seven81493, who despite being a Colts fan is a really great guy. Happy new year, dude!