• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 5,064 Views, 290 Comments

Prosopoanothenphobia - TheTalentlessPony



Fluttershy re-meets an orange-maned crimson pony that she had been hoping to see again, but...

  • ...
9
 290
 5,064

A Hearty Revelation

Fluttershy jumped up as she noticed the barn door open.

I-is that him? Wait! I'm not ready!

Alas, her hopes were ignored as Big Macintosh stepped out, looking around with a curious and confused expression. When he spotted her though, he smiled and trotted over.

"Howdy again," he greeted, flashing a grin that was blocked by the brown hat.

"...H-hi," she said softly, her cheeks suddenly feeling warm.

Don't mess it up now, Fluttershy!

Despite her thinking that, there was just a dead silence at first; neither really knowing what to say.

After a moment though, Big Macintosh nervously spoke up.

"...So? Applejack said that ya wanted to see me?" he asked hesitantly.

Eep! S-she actually told him that?

"U-um... yes. I wanted to... talk?" she responded shyly. "...and... you know... walk?" she then added, hoping that he would get her meaning.

"U-uh..."

"I-I mean, it's okay if you don't want to. I just thought-"

"O-oh no, Miss Fluttershy! A-ah'd love to, really!"

The yellow pegasus blinked in response.

...Miss?

"...Y-yeah? T-that's great! So..."

She paused as she realized; where were they meant to go? She hadn't planned that out either...

"We could take a walk through the orchard if ya like. It gets real nice around sunset," Big Macintosh suggested.

Fluttershy replied with a simple nod. That was perfect.

Quiet.

Serene.

Romanti-

She froze from her thoughts once more, then blushed red as she shyly followed the crimson stallion into the orchard.

At least I didn't say that out loud...

"...speakin' of Applejack..." Big Macintosh began, referring to his earlier question. "Ah see that you're wearin' her hat."

The yellow pegasus tried her best to contain a gasp, her mind instantly racing to come up with an excuse.

Come on, Fluttershy. THINK!

"U-um... y-yes. She... let me borrow it."

The crimson stallion's confusion wasn't hard to sense; why would Applejack give Fluttershy her hat?

However, luckily for Fluttershy, he wasn't one to pry; that'd be rude.

"Ah, alright. Ah see." he told her, though the uncertainty in his tone was easy to detect.

"..."

"So, ya take care of animals?" he suddenly questioned, wanting to break the tension.

S-straight into another conversation, huh?

"Did... did Applejack tell you that?"

"Eeyup. Right before ah left to come see ya."

"O-oh. Well... yes, I do. I take care of all sorts of little critters. Bunnies, birds, squirrels; it's my special talent."

"..."

"...Y-you know..."

"?"

"You're... always welcome to come by and see them if you want."

She heard the crimson stallion let out a grunt of surprise, then quickly tried to correct herself, realizing how her sentence sounded.

"W-well, I mean... you and the rest of the Apple Family! Y-you're all related to my friend Applejack after all, s-so any relative to her is a friend of mine too! Eheh..."

It was unfortunate that the yellow pegasus feared seeing Big Macintosh's face; she would've seen it tinted pink.

"A-ah see. Thanks."

"Y-yeah, of course. So..." she paused for a moment and stared down at the ground, trying to think of a new topic.

"So...?" the crimson stallion questioned, wondering what was on her mind.

W-why is this so hard...?

"S-so... what else did Applejack tell you?"

"Mmm..." he took a second to remember the conversation, then gave her a small smile. "Nothin' that ah didn't already know."

W-what's that supposed to mean?

"Here we are."

"H-huh?" Fluttershy asked, stopping to look around, wondering exactly where 'here' was; she hadn't been paying much attention to where they were going.

"The end of the orchard," Big Macintosh explained, pointing a hoof towards a cliff in the distance. "Perfect fer watchin' the sky."

"Y-yeah, I can tell," the bewildered pegasus muttered, trotting over to the edge of the cliff and looking up at the array of colors. "It's beautiful..."

"Eeyup."

Fluttershy attempted to contain a giggle, then looked over in curiosity as the crimson stallion took a seat next to her; she shyly averted her gaze away though, blushing slightly at how close he was.

"Take a seat, Miss Fluttershy."

The yellow pegasus, though nervous, nodded in reply and sat down as well.

Then, after a long silence, she built up a little courage and looked over to the crimson stallion; not directly up at his face, however.

"U-um... Big Macintosh?"

"Hmm?"

"I-if I may be so bold to ask... why the 'miss'? Y-you can just call me 'Fluttershy' if you like." she told him, shyly batting at her pink mane with one of her front hooves.

"Ahm..." A small grumble came from the stallion's mouth, as if to say 'I was really saying that?'.

"I-it's fine if you don't want to! I-I only wondered why-"

"Can ah call you 'Shy then?"

"..."

A sudden silence followed his question.

"...w-what?" Fluttershy asked softly, her eyes widening slightly as her cheeks went pink.

"...'Shy."

"U-um... y-you mean... like a nickname?"

"Mmhm," Big Macintosh replied uneasily.

"W-well... I-I suppose you could. I... I like it." The yellow mare nervously twiddled her hooves as the conversation went on; she hoped that he wouldn't notice her uneasiness.

However, he probably did, because he quickly responded.

"You could call me somethin' too... if ya want."

"I... I could?"

"...Only fair."

Fluttershy giggled a bit at his attempt to break the awkwardness.

Which was... actually working.

"I suppose so," she told him, putting a hoof to her cheek as she pondered. "...I could... call you Mac?"

...

The yellow pegasus began to grow uneasy as she was met with the sound of Big Macintosh getting up and walking towards her.

D-did I say something wrong?

"M-Mac, I-"

Fluttershy suddenly felt her words get stuck in her throat as the stallion sat down behind her, placing his hooves around her in a gentle manner.

"...A-ah like it," he said, repeating the yellow mare's earlier words.

She didn't know how to respond at first, her heart racing as her eyes frantically darted about.

"...I..." she began to say, her mouth almost moving on her own accord.

"I... u-um..."

Gently placing one hoof over the other, she gulped nervously and shuddered under his presence.

"T-thank you?"

She wasn't quite sure why she was thanking him or what for, but she was completely speechless otherwise.

A deep chuckle then came from the stallion as he pulled her closer, his warm crimson coat meeting up with her yellow fur.

!

Fluttershy quickly felt her body heat up as her feathered wings became ruffled.

W-what's he doing!?

Why is he holding me like this!?

Why would anyone...

...

And... suddenly... a calmness set over the pegasus.

The mare looked down to the hooves that held her, then shyly placed her own hooves over them and leaned back slightly, giving her head the smallest tilt before relaxing and gazing at the sky.

She couldn't explain it.

It was wrong. So very wrong. She knew this stallion for, what... one or two days, tops? All they've done is talk a bit and eat apples together; and it wasn't even together! He just gave her an apple, and she ate it!

Not only that, but what did she know about this stallion, besides the basics and what Applejack had told her?

His past? No.

His future goals? Nu-uh.

What he likes? What he dislikes?

Nnnope.

Yet here they were, cuddling in front of a glowing sunset that only set the scene even more and told her flat-out: you're being romantic with each other.

And she liked it.

No... she loved it.

She never wanted it to end.

So even though it would be so very cliche' to say so...

It was wrong... but it felt so right.

Big Macintosh...

...Mac...

And then it occurred to her.

...I think I'm in love with you.

She had to wonder about it. How could she be so sure of such a thing?

Truthfully, she didn't know. She couldn't describe it. She just felt something around him.

...She felt cozy...

Like someone wrapped in a warm blanket at wintertime, sitting at home with a cup of hot cocoa while they watched snowflakes fall outside.

And suddenly... it didn't matter that it was wrong.

Suddenly... she didn't care.

"Mmm..."

Practically melting into the stallion's hold, Fluttershy almost felt as if she was going to fall asleep, right then and there... it was that comfy.

...

...Until her leaning caused her hat to fall off.

Immediately, the yellow mare's eyes burst open, no longer feeling the material on her head.

"A-ah... ah..." Abruptly squirming in Big Macintosh's grasp, she looked up and down, desperately trying to find the protection that Applejack had given her.

Not down there.

Not over there.

Not up-

...

Fluttershy froze as she locked eyes with the crimson stallion's face, looking up as her eyes shrunk substantially.

"Lookin' fer this?" The brown hat now placed securely on his own head, Big Macintosh gave her a small smile. "Don't worry. Ah got it. Wouldn't let mah sister's hat get lost so easily."

"..."

The stallion blinked; the yellow mare was doing anything but smiling back at him. "...'Shy?"

Her mind suddenly put into over-drive, Fluttershy quickly leapt up and snagged the hat back, gripping it tightly in her mouth as she ran off at full-speed.

She felt frightened.

Embarrassed.

Distressed.

And she had just left her date sitting alone, confused as ever.