• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 5,067 Views, 290 Comments

Prosopoanothenphobia - TheTalentlessPony



Fluttershy re-meets an orange-maned crimson pony that she had been hoping to see again, but...

  • ...
9
 290
 5,067

Getting Butterflies

"Hehe!"

The voice of a shy pegasus could be heard ringing through the forest as the little filly galloped along the path, with various little animals running behind her, giving a playful chase.

The trees above were gently wafting in the breeze, making her giggle joyfully as fallen leaves brushed against her cheek.

The dirt road she galloped on was marked with her hoofprints, and she loved the feeling; clouds were soft and comfy for sure, but this was a whole new feeling. A whole new experience.

And the wonderful smell of nature; she loved every breath of it.

"A-all the flowers... all the creatures... all this wonderful scenery!" the timid pony cheered as she moved her head left to right, trying as hard as she could to take everything in.

"Just... just everything! I love it all!"

She giggled again as she lightly hopped in the air, then slowed to a trot as she began to regain her composure, the animals adjusting their speed to match hers.

After stopping, she turned to them, then smiled and bent down, nuzzling a few bunnies and squirrels that were close to her.

"Thank you for the lovely time little ones, but I better go now," she told them; she knew full-well that she had no chance of flying all the way back home, but she wouldn't want to burden the sweet creatures with her troubles.

The animals seemed rather saddened by her response, but accepted it nonetheless and hopped away.

Waiting until they were all out of sight, the pegasus then sighed unhappily. Truthfully, while she loved the scenery and smell of this new place, it was a complete enigma to her, and she had no idea what to do next.

"I wonder if there are any pegasi around who could take me back," she muttered as she slowly walked ahead.

...I don't want to go back though.

Freezing in place, the yellow filly was quickly taken back by her own thoughts.

This place was beautiful... serene... and no bullies as far as the eye could see. Of course she wouldn't want to go back.

But... would staying really be the right thing to do?

Mmm, I don't know...

The conflicted pegasus lowered her head as she continued on the path.

I got my cutie mark here. Does that mean that I'm where I belong?

Slowly becoming lost in her own thoughts, she began to drift away from the dirt path, completely unaware that she was even doing so.

I wonder if there are even other ponies down here. Those furry little critters are nice, but it'd be really nice to meet a pony who--

THUMP

"Umpf!"

As if the world had been listening, she suddenly found that she had walked right into something; or, more specifically, somepony.

Quickly realizing the fact, her wings shot up as she nervously backed away from him.

"U-um, I-I'm so so sorry mister, I--" She paused as she took in his full appearance.

He was a young colt, with a crimson coat and orange mane. His eyes were gentle, yet playful; unlike the bullies back in Cloudsdale.

Although, she wondered more about his lack of wings. Were there more ponies in this place, and did they all lack a pair of wings?

Getting back to his appearance though, he was roughly around her height, so he wasn't at all intimidating to the average pony.

However, she wasn't the average pony, and shyly hid her face behind her long pink mane as she continued to back away.

"I-if I intruded at all on your property, I'm terribly sorry. It's just that--"

"Don't worry about it miss."

"...E-excuse me?"

She slowly looked over to the young colt, surprised by the tone in his voice. It was one she rarely heard, being very kind and gentle; not hostile or teasing in the slightest.

"It's alright. Ain't mah property anyways," he responded. "Ah was just passin' on by."

"...o-oh!" The shy pegasus smiled softly as she heard that; good, so she wasn't doing anything bad.

"So... are ya lost?" he asked, quickly changing the topic as his expression changed to one of concern.

"L-lost?" she repeated, having almost forgotten her situation for a moment.

The colt directed a hoof to her back and nodded. "Ya got wings there. Ain't ever seen a pony with wings around here. A pony with wings... is a... a pega..." He paused, then seemed to explore his mind for the correct term. "...pegasi, right? Don't your kind live up in the clouds?" he asked.

"P-pegasus." she corrected with a small nod. "And... well... yes; I am lost." Pointing a hoof up at the sky, she looked around with great uncertainty. "I lived up in Cloudsdale, but..." She frowned, seeing no sign of her former home. "I can't even see it anymore."

The colt looked up with her, then smiled softly and placed a reassuring hoof on her back.

This startled her though, and her right wing went flying up at his face.

"Oof!"

The yellow pegasus turned and gasped as the crimson colt rubbed his snout. "O-oh my gosh. Are you alright?"

After a short pause, the colt simply giggled, removing his hoof from his face and smiling at her. "Ah'm fine. Didn't mean to scare ya," he replied.

She nodded, then couldn't help giggling along with him. A colt had never treated her this way before. She felt... safe? She didn't know how to explain it, but the butterflies in her stomach told her not to worry about it.

And speaking of stomach...

"O-oh!" The pegasus blushed in embarrassment as her stomach rumbled with hunger. "U-uh..."

The colt stared her down, then smiled again and looked around at the trees above. Walking over to one, the filly looked on curiously as he propped himself up on his front hooves.

"U-um... w-what are you-" She was quickly interrupted as the colt kicked at the tree with his hind legs, causing it to shake and rattle from the force.

A small red object then fell from it, landing right in front of the starving pegasus.

"There ya go, miss," The colt told her as he nudged the apple towards her with his snout.

"...Food?" she questioned as she picked up the foreign item, examining it with curiosity.

"You ain't got apple trees in those clouds?" he asked in reply, blinking in obliviousness.

"W-well... I've read about them before, but I've never..."

After a short pause, the yellow filly sniffed the small fruit, then bit into it, being quickly overcome by its sweet taste.

"Mmm! They're so delicious! Thank you!" she said between bites.

The colt smiled in satisfaction, happy to have pleased her, then sat down and leaned against the tree behind him. "Ah wouldn't wanna go back to a place with no apple trees if I were you," he told her. "Ah'd miss 'em too much."

The pegasus giggled a bit; a colt with a sense of humor and a kind personality? Hard to find in Cloudsdale, if not impossible.

"I can see why. They're tasty," she agreed, walking up and sitting next to him.

The colt nodded, then looked away as a cold silence suddenly followed.

The young filly took the opportunity to stare at him; it may have been a bit impolite to do so, but she was rather fascinated with him.

The way his mane and tail were made them look rather unkempt, but she couldn't imagine it being all fancied up; it wouldn't suit him.

His scent was that of the apple she had eaten, along with the smell of hard work... whatever that smelt like.

And she loved it, almost wanting to bury her little snout right into his crimson coat.

But of course, this was not the right time or place.

She swallowed sheepishly. "...F-Fluttershy."

"Hm?"

The colt looked back to her and raised a brow. THAT certainly came out of nowhere.

"...M-my name... it's Fluttershy," she replied softly, her voice suddenly going quiet.

"Ohhh," he said, nodding. "Ah'm--"

"MACINTOSH!"

The two young ponies jumped up as a loud voice suddenly rang through the forest, scaring a few birds out of the trees above.

"A-AH'M COMIN', GRANNY!" the colt called back, blushing a bit in embarrassment.

"...Macintosh?" Fluttershy asked, wanting to confirm.

"E-eeyup," he replied, looking over at her with a nervous expression.

"...Eeyup?" she repeated. After a short pause, she giggled.

That's so cute!

Looking back to the colt though, she frowned as she noticed his embarrassment at her giggle. "O-oh! I-I'm sorry! I-it's just..." She took a moment to pause, suddenly sharing his blush. "I-it's, er... cute. Y-you should say it more often," she told him.

Macintosh simply blinked at first, then smiled and got a little closer. "T-thank ya kindly, Fluttershy," he said, his voice quivering a bit from embarrassment; he never heard anyone call anything he said 'cute' before.

"MACINTOSH!"

The colt's ears sprang up as he turned towards the voice again.

"A-AH SAID AH'M C-COMIN'!"

After giving Fluttershy a small smile, he grabbed the apple core she had eaten from and galloped away.

Fluttershy simply stood there for a moment, then smiled and rested down against the tree she had been sitting against earlier. Yes, she was still facing the conflict of going home, but her meeting with the kind colt had soothed her soul quite a lot.

I-it's good to know that there's good ponies here.

Though... I... I wonder if I'll ever see him again...

Author's Note:

Yay! The start of my first pony fanfiction!

I know that it might seem a bit awkward, since, again... first pony fanfiction, so I apologize.

Nothing I can really do about that though; might get someone to read it over to check for errors, but I'd like to know about the story itself first!

Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to message me if you see any errors! <3

P.S: Big Macintosh is simply called 'Macintosh' here due to the fact that I wanted to emphasize that he's not really... well... big yet.