• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 2,309 Views, 88 Comments

Epi-Curious: A Tale of Love, Hate, and Culinary Adventure - taconinja



The two worst cooks in Ponyville team up to master the culinary arts... assuming everyone survives their efforts!

  • ...
8
 88
 2,309

Amuse Bouche

Twilight Sparkle sighed content and full after another successful picnic with her friends. Celestia’s sun was warm, the sky was clear and blue, and everything had been perfect: the conversation, the laughter, the food--especially the food. Fluttershy had led off with an exquisite fresh salad highlighted by a sharp vinaigrette dressing followed by Spike and Rarity teaming up for some exotic dishes. Spike had baked a spicy pasta dish inspired by a draconic recipe he had seen while perusing a shipment of cookbooks Twilight was processing into the library. He had switched out the gemstone crust, to the eternal thanks of Twilight’s teeth, for a crispy oat crust. Rarity collaborated with the young dragon, pairing Spike’s dish with a tagine featuring roasted tomatoes and carrots Rarity had once encountered during her travels in Gryphon country. Finishing off the meal were Applejack’s flaky, buttery apple fritters and Pinkie Pie’s sinfully rich chocolate croissants. The overall effect of the meal and the warm summer’s day was drowsy bliss for Twilight.

Of course, Twilight mused, not everyone seemed to have the same feeling of satisfaction. Rainbow Dash was still rummaging through the baskets while everyone else lounged.

“Rainbow,” Twilight spoke up interrupting the pegasus’ search. “What are you looking for?” She smiled gently through half-lidded eyes. Naps were underrated, she thought. The only one of their party used to taking regular naps was ironically the one who seemed least interested in doing so at the moment.

Rainbow Dash lifted her head from an empty basket and sighed blowing the bangs of her multicolored mane out of her eyes. “I’m still hungry. I mean the food was great and all, but I’m an athlete. I gotta eat to keep up my energy!”

Applejack chuckled. “Izzat why you’re always nappin’ in my apple trees?”

“Yup!” Rainbow answered. “See, Twilight? Somepony at least understands that I’ve gotta eat enough or I won’t be able to keep up with my training. How do you think I get get as awesome as I am?

It was Twilight’s turn to chuckle along with the rest of the girls and Spike. “Sure, Rainbow.” She didn’t want to argue. The day was too perfect. She closed her eyes drifting on the edge of sleep.

Unfortunately, Rainbow Dash took that as a dismissal and she bristled. “I would think an egghead like you would know with all the books and stuff. Calories? Metabolism?”

Twilight had always brushed off the “egghead” comment as Rainbow Dash being Rainbow Dash, but it did grate a bit, and she felt more than a bit annoyed that Rainbow was marring an otherwise perfect afternoon in such a petty fashion. Sleepiness receded as annoyance rose. She opened her eyes and leveled a flat stare at the blue pegasus.

“Well,” Twilight began. “You could always cook a dish to contribute to the picnic yourself if you’re so concerned about the amount of food.”

That comment brought a loud snort from Fluttershy of all ponies who immediately looked as if she would bolt in terror. “I-I’m sorry. I just mean...” and she dropped to an inaudible whisper.

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes. “What’s that, Shy? I always like comments from the peanut gallery.”

Rarity reached out a hoof to rub Fluttershy’s shoulder. “It’s okay, Dear,” she said. “I’m sure Rainbow Dash is simply a bit cranky from hunger.”

Now it was Rarity’s turn to receive Rainbow’s glare and one-word response. “Cranky.”

“Yeah,” Applejack agreed. “I remember when Apple Bloom was a tiny filly. She was a terror if her bottle was just a few minutes late.”

Now Rainbow Dash was moving past cranky on the emotional spectrum into actual anger. “Do you guys think I’m a toddler or something?” Twilight could sense this might turn ugly soon if someone didn’t defuse the situation.

Before she could think of a diplomatic way to accomplish this, Pinkie spoke up. “No one thinks you’re a silly filly, Dashie!”

“Fluttershy does,” Rainbow responded.

“No, I don’t!” Fluttershy exclaimed quietly, which would have seemed odd from any other pony, but Twilight was long familiar with the barely perceptible levels of audio difference in which the yellow pegasus operated. For her, this was almost shouting. “I just... have you ever cooked anything?”

This stumped Rainbow Dash. “Well, I once cooked a can of corn. Once. A few years ago.”

Applejack smiled. “Sugarcube, heating up canned corn ain’t cooking. It’s already cooked.”

“Um,” Rainbow Dash paused. “It is?”
Everypony nodded.

“Oh.” Rainbow Dash’s eyes were downcast.

Pinkie popped up beside her and put a leg over Rainbow’s shoulder. “Don’t be a Grumpy Dashie! Seeing you enjoy my food is all I need!” She ruffled Rainbow’s mane and then fell on the ground giggling.

Rainbow made a perfunctory effort to put her mane back into order, but quickly gave up. Rarity frowned and Twilight could see another doomed makeover attempt on the horizon.

“Well,” Rainbow began. “Maybe I will cook something then for the next picnic then!”

“Ha!” slipped out before Twilight could stop herself. The other ponies and Spike were maintaining carefully neutral expressions.

Rainbow Dash turned; her eyes narrowing. “Ha?”

Fortunately, Twilight Sparkle was one of the smartest and quick-thinking ponies in Equestria. “No, I didn’t say ‘Ha!’ I said ‘Ah ha!’”

Everypony--Rainbow Dash included--blinked at her in confusion.

“Whu?” queried Rainbow.

“I think your idea is brilliant! And awesome! Awesomely brilliant in fact!” Twilight laid it on thick, biding time until she could figure out why it was a brilliant idea.

Rainbow Dash however took the praise in stride. “Of course it’s awesome! Because I’m awesome and my ideas are naturally awesome!”

The other ponies seemed dubious but that mattered little really to Twilight as long as no one asked...

“Why do you reckon it’s awesome, Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“Of course Applejack would ask,” thought Twilight. Aloud, she stated, “Because... uh... well... this is a bit embarrassing...” She was drawing a complete blank.

“Wait a minute!” exclaimed Spike. “You aren’t thinking of cooking for the picnic as well are you?”

Twilight reminded herself to hug her Number One Assistant later for once again giving her an out. “Yes! Precisely! It’ll be even more special if we all contribute! I can even write a friendship report out of it!” It would also give her an opportunity to initiate a side project she had been pondering for the past week or two.

This was when she noticed that Spike was now rolling on the ground laughing.

“And what is so funny, Mister?” she asked the baby dragon. By this point, Pinkie Pie had joined Spike on the ground rolling and giggling. Twilight ground her teeth. “Well?”

Spike rubbed tears from his eyes although he didn’t have the courtesy to stand up to address her. “Twilight, you managed to burn a daisy salad the last time you tried to make something for yourself.”

This was true despite not actually needing or using a stove. She still wasn’t sure how she had managed that. Also, it was beside the point. She would simply find a recipe and follow it to the letter. Simple. Twilight steadfastly refused to recall that every cooking attempt she had ever made had involved simply following a recipe to the letter.

Spike sat up and continued. “Don’t worry, Twilight. I’ll help you out with the cooking.”

“Hey!” Rainbow called out. “Nopony is helping me! Why does Twilight get help?”

Twilight would have preferred the assistance, but she also had to keep her secondary objective in mind, which demanded Spike not help her. “I agree,” she stated simply. Twilight had worried for a while now that Spike wasn’t getting enough socialization with ponies his own age. “I should do this on my own.”

Spike looked doubtful but Twilight pressed on. “Rarity?”

At that Spike perked up visibly. “You mean I get to visit Rarity while you cook?” Twilight was certain he was visibly vibrating in anticipation.

“Well I would always love a visit from my Spikey-Wikey,” Rarity offered generously.

“Actually,” Twilight interrupted. “I was hoping that I could arrange a playdate for Spike with Sweetie Bell? And perhaps Apple Bloom, AJ?” She thought that Spike’s crush on Rarity was cute, but it decidedly didn’t solve the issue.

Rarity and Applejack both smiled. “Of course, Darling!” Rarity declared. “It will be a wonderful thing for them to play together!”

Spike was unconvinced however. “Hey! I don’t need a playdate or whatever! That’s for babies.”

Twilight stated the obvious. “You are a baby dragon, Spike.”

He opened his mouth to reply but couldn’t seem to find a path to assault the logic.

Twilight smiled and nodded. “Well that’s settled then.”

A quiet “Um” came from Fluttershy.

“Yes, Fluttershy?” Twilight asked.

“Well,” the yellow pegasus began but stopped.

“Go on, Dear,” Rarity gently prodded with a smile. “Is there a problem with Spike having a playdate with the fillies?”

“Oh no!” Fluttershy shook her head vigorously. “That will be adorable! It’s just...” she trailed off again.

The ponies waited patiently. With Fluttershy, there wasn’t any other way.

She gulped and finished her sentence. “Rainbow Dash, you don’t have a kitchen to cook in.”

Even Pinkie thought this was incredulous. “You don't even have an oven to reheat your leftovers, Dashie?”

Rainbow Dash intervened. “No, Shy means I don’t have a kitchen at all.”

“Where in tarnation do you store your food then, Rainbow?” Applejack asked.

Pinkie didn’t wait on Rainbow to respond. She looked as if she had been told that parties had been canceled indefinitely. “Yeah! Where do you keep the cakes?”

“I don’t, Pinkie,” Rainbow replied.

“Your muffins?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head.

“Your assorted pastries?”

Another head shake.

“Your candy?”

Another head shake.

“Croissants?”

Rainbow Dash just stared at her.

“Popovers?”

No response.

“Cherries Jubilee?”

No response.

“Honeyed oats?”

No response.

Pinkie lay down on her side. “I feel dizzy.”

“I don’t keep any food at the house, Pinkie. I’m hardly ever there anyway and I don’t really eat candy or cakes unless I’m with you guys. Rest of the time, I eat out, so no kitchen necessary.”

Pinkie lay there staring into the distance in shock. Twilight thought she had seen this described in a book once as "The Thousand League Stare" usually occurring after pronounced, prolonged trauma.

“Anyway,” Rainbow continued. “Will somepony let me use their kitchen?”

Another “Um” issued from Fluttershy causing Rainbow Dash to sigh again in frustration. “What is it now, Shy?” she asked.

“I mean--just--do you remember Flight Camp?”

Rainbow gave her a flat stare. “What happens at Flight Camp stays at Flight Camp.”

Fluttershy nodded and seemed to try to will herself to sink into the ground.

“Now just wait a second,” Applejack interjected. “If you want to use one of our kitchens, I think we got cause to ask what happened at Flight Camp.”

Rarity nodded in agreement as did Twilight. Fluttershy looked ready to bolt. Pinkie just continued to lay on her side staring into the distance and muttering “No candy” over and over.

Spike walked over to Pinkie Pie and stroked her mane. “Rainbow, I think you broke Pinkie Pie.”

Rainbow ignored Spike and seemed resigned. “Well at Flight Camp, everypony does a week in the galleys.”

“Oh,” Rarity perked up. “Why didn’t you just say so, Darling? You do have some experience in a kitchen.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow stated before a small squeak from Fluttershy stopped her. “Alright, Shy. I have a couple of days of experience.”

Twilight asked, “Why not the full week?”

“I sort of burned down the kitchen.” Another squeak from Fluttershy. “Twice,” Rainbow said through gritted teeth.

The other ponies suddenly didn’t seem eager to loan out kitchen time to Rainbow Dash. Spike broke the silence. “Well,” he stated. “The library kitchen is enchanted against kitchen fires because the library is a tree and--” he stopped and looked to Twilight.

She took over. “And because I set the library on fire trying to prepare some honeyed oats.”

Applejack cocked her head. “Uh, sugarcube, you don’t cook those.”

It was Twilight’s turn to respond through gritted teeth. “I’m aware of that, Applejack.”

“Then how?” Applejack began to ask.

“I... am still trying to determine how I did that, Applejack.” Twilight wondered if her teeth would be ground to nubs before the picnic finished.

“So Twilight would you mind sharing the library kitchen then?” Rainbow asked.

“Sure,” Twilight responded just wanting to end the humiliation. “One condition, Rainbow. Will you stop with ‘egghead’ stuff? I don't really like it very much.”

Rainbow Dash looked at Twilight Sparkle very seriously. “I’m sorry,” she stated sincerely. “That was totally uncool of me.” She then came up and hugged Twilight and whispered to her, “I mean it. I’m really sorry.”

Twilight squeezed Rainbow and then broke the hug smiling. “It’s okay. I’ll see you tomorrow then for cooking practice?”

“Twilight? Rainbow?” Applejack interrupted again as she loaded the near catatonic Pinkie onto her back. “How about y’all use the practice time to get dishes ready for the Summer Picnic Party before we end summer and roll in autumn?” She looked at Pinkie a bit worriedly as the mention of a party did nothing to break her spell.

That was a great idea in Twilight’s opinion, but Rainbow bristled at the idea she would take that long to master cooking.

“If we’re going to have to do this for a whole month,” Rainbow stated in a tone brooking no argument. “Then we’ll cook the whole meal for the six of us plus Spike and the Crusaders.”

“The whole meal?” Twilight asked in shock.

“Sure!” Rainbow replied with a grin. “You’re the smartest pony anywhere and I’m Rainbow Dash!”

Twilight wasn’t sure how that last part was a qualification but decided not to press the issue feeling she might dig an even deeper hole for herself. The party broke up with smiles and waves. As Twilight and Spike walked home, she spent the time assuring him that the kitchen and library would stay intact and patiently listening to his grumbles about having playdates.