• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 8,561 Views, 70 Comments

This Can Only Mean One Thing - Vexy



Spike's had a long, exhausting day. He's off to bed early. That's totally normal... right?

  • ...
13
 70
 8,561

The Secret

Night had descended upon the quiet town of Ponyville. Twilight Sparkle was sat in her library at the window struggling to read all twelve books the Princess had tasked of her for the weekend in the darkening room. Although she was reading a book, her thoughts were not processing the words. Instead she was thinking back over the day. Applejack had saved Spike’s life, and, through the obligations of the Noble Dragon Code, the young dragon had vowed to help Applejack with whatever she wished. Twilight smiled as she recalled how the silly misunderstanding had been resolved.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to write a letter to Princess Celestia.

However it was not to be. Her thoughts were interrupted by a lantern swinging overhead. She winced at the abrupt presence of the light source and turned round to face the perpetrator. As soon as she spotted the young dragon himself, she smiled.

“Thanks, Spike,” she said softly.

“Happy to help,” he replied with a wide smile.

“Don’t know what I’d do without you,” she continued, touched by the dragon’s kind deed. Suddenly she jumped when something clung to her hind leg. Turning around she found Spike hugging her.

“No, really!” he insisted, “I’m really, really, really happy to help you.”

Twilight frowned. Spike was acting most... unusual.

“Are you okay, Spike?” she asked.

“Oh, yeah!” he chirped. “Better than ever. You know, I think I’m going to head to bed early.”

“Well,” Twilight said slowly, unsure of where this was going, “It’s not that early.”

“Yep. That’s why I’m heading to bed. Right now,” the dragon replied, grinning. “So, you’ll be fine down here, right?”

“Um, I think so.”

“Great! So you don’t need to come up until much later,” Spike almost squealed. “So good night, Twilight!”

And, with that, Spike bounced away giggling to himself, leaving a bemused unicorn in his wake. Twilight frowned. Spike was definitely up to something. She looked back longingly at her book.

Looks like I’ll have to finish this later.

Glancing around, she made sure that there was nopony else around other than her. Spike didn’t usually lie, but when he did it was usually very, very obvious. Like now, for example, Spike was excited to go to bed. This had instantly set of the warning sirens in her head. Creeping over to the bedroom, she pricked her ears.

Silence.

Hmm, I guess he went to sleep after all.

Disappointed with this anticlimactic turn of events, the unicorn sulked back downstairs to her book, and resumed her previous thought process of writing a report to Princess Celestia. She couldn’t shake the feeling that something still wasn’t quite right, however.

“Something’s not quite right,” she sighed, voicing her dissatisfaction. She decided to head back to the bedroom for a second listen.

Nothing wrong with double checking. Just think of it like a checklist, Twilight.

Twilight assured herself she wasn’t prying on her assistant, and that her paranoia was completely unfounded. Once again she pricked her ears.

Silence.

Maybe I should go in and check up on him?

Carefully she pressed a hoof against the door and walked into the room, the door squeaking noisily. She braced herself to laugh at her own foalish paranoia, and was almost giggling by the time she found Spike’s bed empty.

Empty.

Twilight inhaled sharply, a thousand thoughts rushing through her head. Where had Spike gone? Why hadn’t he told her? What was he hiding? She was about to hyperventilate and perform a mad tap dance before she heard the commotion of violated shrubbery from outside the window. Glancing out, Twilight had just enough time to see a tiny dragon running through the desolate streets of Ponyville.

Okay. This is just weird.

The unicorn decided not to waste any more time and ran out the library in the direction Spike had run off in. Thoughts flowed through her head like an unstoppable river. Did Spike run away because he thought Twilight didn’t care for him? Maybe he felt humiliated when they had tried to set him up saving Applejack’s life earlier? Maybe-

Twilight stopped to catch her breath at the edge of Ponyville, all other thoughts banished by one new one.

Why was Spike running in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres?

Twilight groaned as she realized that she wasn’t even halfway through her wild-goose chase and concentrated on keeping up with the purple speck in the distance.


“Spike,” a voice called. “Spike! Over here!”

“Applejack,” the dragon called as quietly as he could, “Why’re you in the barn?”

“Look, jus’ tell meh,” Applejack continued, ignoring the question, “Twilight didn’t follow you, did she?”

“No, I don’t think so,” Spike replied. “But why don’t you want her to know?”

“That don’t matter right now. Ah wanted ta... ta ask a favor of you, Spike.” Applejack said nervously.

“Sure, anything, Applejack. That’s what friends are for, right?” Spike said, mimicking Applejack’s earlier statement. “What do you need help with?”

“Erm,” Applejack whispered, nervously rubbing her hooves against her legs, “It’ll be easier if ah show you. Here, jus’ come inside the barn.”

“Okay,” the dragon chirped as he skipped inside the barn. He didn’t notice Applejack uneasily squinting in the distance.

“Thought ah saw something,” she mumbled to herself.


So now Applejack is in on this!?

Twilight wasn’t sure whether to be angry or upset. Why would her friends hide things from her? Especially Applejack, of all ponies. Things just didn’t add up. Twilight couldn’t make out what the pair were saying, but Applejack looked extremely uncomfortable, although Spike seemed to take no notice. Just before she shut the door, Applejack looked directly at Twilight, and the unicorn feared she’d been spotted, but then the earth pony mumbled to herself and closed the barn door.

Twilight saved her sigh of relief until later, however. Right now she needed to find out what was going on. She trotted up to the barn and pricked her ears for any signs of life inside. She heard muffled conversation and could just make out the words.

“Whoa, Applejack,” Spike gasped. “I mean are you sure you want to do this?”

“Sure as sugar, sugarcube.” Applejack stated firmly, “But jus’ don’t tell anypony. Ah don’t want anypony else to know.”

Twilight felt her insides churn.

What are they talking about?

“Well, I guess I could give it a go. I still don’t get all the secrecy,” Spike replied.

“Try an’ be gentle, Spike. It’s been hurtin’ these last few days. Ah guess it’s jus’ that time again.”

Twilight covered her mouth with a hoof. Already she’d discovered more information that she needed - or even wanted, for that matter - to know.

What could they be planning? Maybe a surprise party-

The unmistakable sound of moaning floated out from within the barn.

“Is that okay?” her number one assistant asked.

“Ahhhh,” Applejack responded, “You don’t know how long I’ve been needin’ this, Spike.”

“How come you wanted me to do this, anyway?”

“Well, I dunno, but hooves jus’ aren’t the same, ah guess. Celestia knows, ah tried.”

Twilight bit her hoof as she tried to suppress a gasp of horror.

Is Applejack really... no she can’t be. Not to Spike. He’s just a baby dragon! Is he even capable of...

Twilight shuddered as she fought back thoughts of the reproductive capabilities of her young assistant, and again as Applejack moaned particularly loudly.

“Where’d you... learn to... do this so well?” the earth pony gasped.

“Oh, Rarity showed me a few tricks. She said it’s unusual for dragons to do this kind of thing, but not unheard of.”

Rage built up within Twilight from somewhere she didn’t even know of.

So Rarity’s in on this as well? So Applejack isn’t even Spike’s first! Has everypony gone mad? he’s a baby dragon, and it seems he’s just being treated as an object! Where did I go wrong? I didn’t think this would happen so quickly. I didn’t even give him the talk! How could I have no seen the signs!? I’m a miserable failure.

Twilight sighed as she felt tears swell in her eyes.

“Mmmmmm,” Applejack purred from inside the barn, “Ah think that’ll do for tonight Spike. Ah don’t want Twilight worryin’ about you bein’ gone an’ all.”

“Oh, okay Applejack,” Spike chirped.

Is Spike just a common playtoy for my friends?

No!

Something doesn’t add up. Applejack didn’t want Spike’s help earlier. Why does she want it now?

Twilight raised her head defiantly and turned to face the door, letting the anger and horror surge through her like a broken dam. She burst through the door and launched herself at Applejack.

“You!” she screamed. “How could you? He’s just a baby!”

Applejack yelped as she was tackled, groaning as she landed on her back on the firm floor.

“Twilight?” Spike gasped, “How did you know I was here?”

“I followed you, Spike.” Twilight hissed, “And I heard everything! Why would you do something like this?”

“I-I... I’m sorry, Twilight.” Spike sniffed softly, looking guiltily at his claws which were covered in a strange, sticky, white substance.

“Twilight?” Applejack groaned, “What’re you doing?”

“Stopping you from... from taking advantage of Spike!” the unicorn yelled.

“Taking advantage?” Applejack said. “But Spike offered ta earlier!”

“Spike offered to rut you? How does he even know about that kind of stuff? And why does he do it with Rarity!?” Twilight screamed.

“Say what now?” Applejack gasped, her eyes bulging.

Spike simply looked confused, “What’s a rut?” he asked.

Twilight covered her face with a hoof and sighed, “Why were you two having sex?” she shouted, her voice growing hoarse.

“Twilight!” Applejack breathed, “Me an’ Spike weren’t doin’ anythin’ like... anythin’ like that! Ah swear!”

“What’s a sex?” Spike asked unhelpfully.

Twilight groaned, her head beginning to hurt, “Don’t lie, Applejack. I heard you from outside the barn! I heard everything!”

“But Spike an’ me weren’t doin’... that!” Applejack yelled, “Ah swear, or ma element ain’t honesty!”

“But you were moaning!” Twilight insisted, “And Spike was saying... things I don’t really want to repeat!”

“Twilight,” Spike said, walking up to the distressed mare, “Applejack’s had a really bad back lately, and I offered to give her massages.”

“Wait, what? Huh? WHAT?” Twilight screeched, “That still doesn’t even make any sense. Why would you come over in the middle of the night?”

“Ah can’t tell anyone, Twilight. Ah don’t even want to admit it, but ah can’t work when ma back’s like this. Ah’m sorry for makin’ Spike sneak out. That wasn’t in character for me.” Applejack sighed.

“But... but...” Twilight wheezed, “Rarity! Spike said he’d done it before with Rarity!”

“Yeah,” Spike said,” Rarity showed me how to massage properly. Although she said there aren’t many dragons that offer massages. Most of them don’t even talk to ponies.”

Twilight was dumbstruck. Both her flank and her jaw hit the floor in disbelief. Could she really have misinterpreted this situation as wrongly as they were suggesting?

“I... I...” she gasped, scouring her mind for words. Her eyes spotted a pot of massage cream, which explained the sticky substance on Spike's claws.

“Twilight, it’s okay,” Applejack chuckled. “Ah forgive you. Everypony makes mistakes. And ah hope you can forgive me for stealin’ Spike, an’ all.”

Twilight glanced at Applejack. Then at Spike. Then back to Applejack.

And then she sighed, “I’m sorry,” she whispered, closing her eyes. “I guess I let my imagination get carried away. I think I need to get back to the library and finish the book I was reading.”

“Ah ya sure y’alright, sugarcube?” Applejack asked, her voice layered with genuine concern.

“I’ll be fine,” Twilight said as she walked out of the barn door. “Just make sure Spike gets home safely.”

And with that, the unicorn was gone. Applejack and Spike looked at each other.

“Phew, that was a close one,” Applejack sighed, grinning.

“Yeah, I can’t believe she thinks I’m too young for this,” Spike chuckled, and waggled his eyebrows at the earth pony. Applejack giggled and tackled the dragon. The pair rolled around until the mare managed to pin down Spike.

Unable to move and completely helpless to the mare, Spike could do nothing but watch in horror as Applejack mercilessly tickled him.

“Okay!” the dragon gasped, “Okay! I give in! You win. You can have the first turn.”

“Alright!” Applejack cheered, pulling out the game of 'Hungry Hungry Hippos’ they had been playing, “I’m so going to win this time!”

Author's Note:

This was supposed to be a serious romance, similar to my last one. Now look what I've spawned!

The ending was going to be very serious, in which Spike would repeat "That's what friends are for, right?" and Applejack would respond with "Yeah... friends..." and sigh.

Of course such an ending wouldn't fit in here, even if I did decide to transform it into a multi-chapter fic.

Welp! I hope you enjoyed reading it, anyway. At only 2k words I felt I kind of cut it a little short, but the idea just popped into my head and I wrote it overnight. This is more in response to the swarm of AppleSpike fics I can see coming, than it is in response to the episode itself.

Comments ( 68 )

Another great work Vexy! I love it! It's so sexy rawrrrr! :flutterrage:

And oh boy! I laughed hard too. :rainbowlaugh:

I loved Twilight's perfect characterization. She is really starting to develop some crazy paranoia ins't she? My poor little cute bookworm! :fluttercry:
Those authors from the show really need to take it easy with her! :twilightangry2:

By the why let me compliment you for the record of two fics in a single week. And to think you said that you were afraid of never completing any projects... :twilightsheepish:

fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/298/2/1/mlp_fim_fluttershy_n_pinkiepie_______brohoof_______by_thispirateship-d5gceyt.png

And tomorrow the Year of the Pony will be upon us! But let leave this to our blog posts. You are going to do one right? :duck:

1881110

Will do a blog sometime in the coming week, of course. Perhaps on the 5th when the new episode releases? Even though I'm not even sure what the synopsis or the title for S03E10 is, anyway.

Meh I'm sure it'll be good :pinkiesmile:

For now, I'll just see how this fic goes down with Fimfiction

1881122

Start opening new tabs, 'cause you will have a flood of favoritings coming your way and i'm positive! :raritywink:

hysterical lol great work :yay::pinkiehappy:

This is... just... yes. All of my yes. :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:
(I'm betting that this will graze the featured box.)

Totally got me at the end. I thought they were really gonna do what Twilight thought of:facehoof:.

I've read lots of fake-out stories, but the double-fake-out into not-really a fake-out at all was masterfully done. Also, the [sex] tax was well placed.

:moustache: This is hilarious!!! I love the Applespike we're getting. Keep it coming people!!

Oh, Rarity showed be a few tricks.

I have never laughed so hard at a fic before :rainbowlaugh:

BUCKING BRILLIANT:pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp:

This is my favorite Fic of all time!.....:pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp:

words can't explain how good this is :rainbowlaugh:
just.....just wow

O.T.P OUT:rainbowdetermined2:

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:Ow my sides hurt from laughing to much :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh: help me I think I busted a gut

HAHAHA!:rainbowlaugh:
Great ending loved it!

oh my god that ending.....that actually made me laugh so hard i fell out of my swivel chair XD hungry hungry hippos WOOO!

Great story! I want to read more!:pinkiehappy:

“What’s a sex?” Spike asked, unhelpfully.

Question of the year right there, folks. Though that's not saying much, seeing as it's the 1st of January.
1881122
The next episode doesn't come out till the 19th. Bummer, huh.

Okay. Wow.

This wasn't the new year's gift I was expecting. :rainbowlaugh:
lh3.ggpht.com/-PT5RFSTHOfE/UOMx8DTfczI/AAAAAAAAADw/lk7NpUAoDeo/FireShot%252520Screen%252520Capture%252520%252523001%252520-%252520%252527FIMFiction_net%252520-%252520My%252520Little%252520Pony_%252520Friendship%252520is%252520Magic%252520Fanfiction%252527%252520-%252520www_fimfiction_net_manage_user_messages.jpg

lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CUBeMmuCtZU/UOMzQuWKwNI/AAAAAAAAAEE/wq-QjgcgDsc/s1024/CONGRATZTOM%2521.png
I post this on New Year's Eve, thinking it'd probably get no attention since everyone would be out partying like I was. I come back today in a daze and have to check I'm not still sleeping! :rainbowlaugh:
Thank you, to everyone who upvoted, favorited or simply just glanced at this fic. Your praise inspires me to write more! :flutterrage:

1881409

Glad to see you enjoyed my work so much. I really hope to be able to write more in the future! :pinkiehappy:

1881490

Ahh your praise is so generous. And indeed it did hit the 'Popular Stories' column. To be honest I don't even know what the featured box is anymore :rainbowlaugh:

1881640

It was a spontaneous idea I had. I'm pleased it turned out so well. Things could have turned out much worse. :rainbowlaugh:

1881677

So much fake! :pinkiegasp:
I'm relieved you enjoyed it so much, though. To be honest I had no idea where I was taking this when I wrote it. And I think the sex tag was necessary, anyway. Otherwise I might have received some complaints due to serious exaggeration on the sexual suggestions in the dialogue. :duck:

1881820

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Indeed there is a flood of AppleSpike. I hoped to deviate from the bulk of the other fanfictions. I hope this was different enough to be considered remotely original in some aspect. :moustache:

1882090

Thank you for pointing that one out! I edit and proofread my own work by myself, so occasionally I'm prone to mistakes. I find doing it myself helpful, however, and I'd rather not burden other people with any of my work. Being an editor myself I know how miserable it can be at times!
If you spot any more, don't hesitate to let me know! Me, being the perfectionist I am, I like my fictions to be error-free, and enjoyable to read. :pinkiehappy:

1882218

Spontaneous ideas ftw! :scootangel:

1882827

Aww that's awesome! I really hope fics I write in the future will entertain you to at least some small measure that this one did :rainbowkiss:

1883050

i46.tinypic.com/2uttfdj.png

Always the flatterer, Mister Pony! :raritywink:

1883197

Thank you! I really hope I pulled the twist off as well as it had the potential to be... pulled... Okay this thank you didn't come off right. :facehoof:

REDO: Thank you! I hope to be able to pull off even better twists in the future! :rainbowkiss:

1883227

I hope you're okay! I'd hate it if one my fics actually killed someone! :rainbowlaugh: Your comment made me grin, either way. I hope you can continue to enjoy any fics I can pump out.

1883365

Really glad you enjoyed it! I hope you enjoyed the read!

1884230

I've never actually played Hungry Hungry Hippos. But I believe it's a pretty well known game. I THINK you take it in turns... right? :rainbowlaugh:

1884496

I hope to be able to write more too! Thanks for commenting! I love comments! :rainbowkiss:

1886475

Thank you! :rainbowkiss: I actually saw the spelling error in the quote. I don't think there's supposed to be a comma. But glad to see you enjoyed that cheeky little line :raritywink: my skype friends all seemed to love it when I read it to them! :rainbowkiss:

Also I saw the episode list on EQD just after I posted.
And I cried.
Bummer, indeed :twilightangry2: I quite enjoyed writing a One-shot based on the most recent episode.

1886887
Do you have an editor?
If not, I'll be glad to help edit.

1886894

I don't. I edit everything myself, which I can find helpful. Usually that gets rid of most of the errors.

Next time I write something, I'll send it you, and you can just iron out any creases :pinkiesmile:

Thank you for your help! It's invaluable :rainbowkiss:

kkkkkkkkkkk! It was hilarious, very good really! Twilight was trolled... again.:ajsmug: AppleJack is best pony troll ever.

1890087

I'm pleased to hear you like it :pinkiesmile:
She makes a pretty awesome troll, alright. She still can't beat Spike at Hungry Hungry Hippos, though. :raritywink:

Oh man, that was misleading and funny from beginning to end. Great story all the way!:moustache::facehoof::ajsmug:

You can even make a alternate ending with turns into a clop scene with a story like this, lol.:raritywink:

1905898

An alternate ending, you say? ... :raritywink:

1905898

Hmm think I've decided that I can save clop for another story.
For me, the whole idea of this story was to mock the flock of clop I could foresee coming, rather than the episode itself. There are already some mighty fine clops out there on this very subject, I'm sure.

1909653Good to hear.
And I'll be watching to see what you come up with next.:moustache:

...well. That certainly happened.
There are a couple cases of awkward punctuation around dialogue, and I didn't find the innuendo quiiiiiite strong enough to justify Twilight's jumping to conclusions, but the payoff and double-fakeout earned a few chuckles. So a happy thumbs up it is.
(Also, doesn't Spike sleep in a basket?)

2082140

This was a lot more rushed than anything I'd normally write, but I wanted this released as early as possible, but I'm glad to see it was enough to make you smile :twilightsmile:

Sadly 2.1k words was definitely not enough to show Twilight slowly being convinced. I do feel it was rushed. despite Twilight probably being the most susceptible character to conclusion-jumping, I was really trying not to turn this into anything huge. It was but a simple stab at comedy.

As for punctuation. I edit and proofread all my writing myself. I think in one of my future fics I'll get a skilled editor to come and point out where I'm making mistakes as it's likely that the mistakes in this one are recurring mistakes which I believe to be correct. Except for a few commas at the end of dialogue. Admittedly I can spot a few of them as I read back.

Finally, Spike's basket: Damn. I missed that one completely :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks for the criticism, Nonagon. It was really helpful, plus it made me reread and realize a few mistakes. Perhaps I'll go find an editor to look back at this... hmm, there's an idea? :moustache:

Just try not to use your imagination and you'll be fine.

Excuse me? Are we even in the same dimension? This is the internet, it is feeding on dirty imaginations! :eeyup:

2116736

Maybe it was my intention to be all that you were overhearing was a massage, but I'm just terrible at writing anything innocent? :moustache:

You mustn't assume these kind of things! :raritywink::scootangel:

2116921 Yes i must assume these kinds of things. It is because of the dark vortex in my mind that slowly drains my sanity... :pinkiecrazy:

That was a fun read.

2243957

Glad you enjoyed it. Not really sure where I was going with that ending, but it went down well with the readers :rainbowlaugh:

HA! that was great! :pinkiehappy:

That ending completely mislead me for a minute.

Still funny though!

:rainbowlaugh: oh man that was great loved it

>mfw the ending
fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/12020_4835335047369_16710889_n.jpg

but that was a good story ,
mystery - hilarious misunderstanding - conflict resolved - curious development - and random hilarious ending
:rainbowlaugh:

2506071

Yep, this story's a strange one. :rainbowlaugh: I did enjoy writing it though. This was probably my most spontaneous fic, and I actually think I like it more than my most popular fic.

Oh GODS, I lost it:rainbowlaugh: I laughed so hard, you did very, very well with this, way to make the perverts think:yay: Ah....this was grand gold work, loved it, I'm a fan of the pairing as well. Though I always hate so much how so many people make him the same age is in the show, what's wrong with making him older?

2563231

I'm fine with people making him older, but I love keeping his age the same. It makes the relationship feel a little more three dimensional... and also I can relate to it and write it better.

2563271 That does make sense, but I dislike how people make him so clueless and innocent, that annoys me to no end, regardless, I shall look over your other fics, great job:twilightsmile:

2563331

That's part of the fun for me. The fact that he's so clueless makes you want to tap him on the head and call him an idiot (Kinda like how it is on the show). And that's a good thing. It's entertaining and interesting to write. It kind of makes him the joke of the fic, I guess, but that's never a bad thing.

I do have fics planned where he's a lot less innocent, put it that way.

Clopfics, that is.

Well, I suppose there's one adventure fic where I make him super badass.... but that one's a long way off.

2563393 :rainbowlaugh: You did amazing with making him such in this fic though, even more so because of his age. Shit, I can't wait until I see those clopfics:yay: I love seeing Spike much older, wiser, and much more of a badass, one of my fics though makes him really seem like an asshole:facehoof:

2563427

Besides Spike's Crusade (in which you see him progressively develop, which was one of the original intentions for the fic) most of my other stories of Spike involve him being more mature.

Hopefully you'll continue to enjoy everything I write. :rainbowkiss:

2563474 Then I'll continue to read and love it, I love older Spike, always bro, told you, I always got your back if you need me:yay:

(sort of) SHIP SPIKE WITH ALL THE MARES!

2693223

I should definitely write a serious AppleSpike ship one day. :twilightsmile: I was thinking about doing a one-shot for each of the main six.

Login or register to comment