• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 2,890 Views, 105 Comments

Big Sister Rainbow - Nova Force



Scootaloo wants to participate in the Sisterhooves Social, so she decides to ask Rainbow Dash to be her sister! Will Rainbow Dash make the commitment, or will an opportunity to hang out with the Wonderbolts interfere with Scootaloo's plans?

  • ...
1
 105
 2,890

The Award Ceremony

“We did it, little sister! We did it!” Rarity said.

Everypony who gathered for the Sisterhooves Social cheered wildly as Rarity and Sweetie Belle crossed the finish line. The situation looked bleak in the beginning when they both tripped into the mud pit. Thankfully, the two of them made outstanding gains during the egg-balancing portion of the race. When a pony needed to be precise with handling and control, no pony compared to Rarity. Years of meticulous dressmaking paid off for her big time. Through their mud-filled ears, she and Sweetie Belle heard the crowd of ponies pounding their hooves into the ground and bleachers cheering for their victory.

Applejack and Apple Bloom trotted up from behind. They had come in second place. In her wildest dreams, Applejack never thought she would be second to Rarity in any sporting event. “Wow. I guess ya’ll didn’t need to warm up after all,” she said.

Rarity held her head high. “Why thank you, Applejack. I’m glad you’re being such a good sport.”

Apple Bloom leaned in to her big sister. “Applejack, next year how about you and I relax under a tree before the race?”

“After what just happened, I guess we could give it a try next time.”

During the competition, the four fillies were so focused on winning that none of them noticed the overflow in the bleachers. The turnout had reached staggering proportions. The only other time Sweet Apple Acres ever enjoyed this kind of mass occupation was during cider season when seemingly everypony in Equestria lined up for some of Granny’s famous cider.

The audience of ponies filtered out of the stands and bled onto the competition field. Many ponies went to congratulate their friends who competed. Out of the crowd emerged a little orange Pegasus. “You two were awesome! Way to go!” Scootaloo said.

Something wasn’t right. The girls didn’t doubt Scootaloo’s sincerity, but something was off about her countenance. A closer look at her eyes revealed that they were inflamed.

No pony wanted to draw any attention to that. The four of them didn’t even think Scootaloo was going to make in through the competition. In fact, seeing Scootaloo in front of them at that moment was one of the biggest displays of loyalty from a friend. Everypony would have totally understood her not wanting to be there. Why would she? The Sisterhooves Social was arguably the largest celebration of sisterhood in Ponyville. If anything, the whole competition should be a painful reminder to Scootaloo of what she lacks in her life. To top it all off, she was even going to participate this weekend with the one pony she had always wanted to be her big sister! Yet, here she was, alone, determined to show her support.

One by one, each of the girls walked up to Scootaloo and gave her a big hug.

Rarity went first. “We’re very glad you came, sweetheart.”

Applejack then moved in for an embrace. “Yes, it means a heck of lot to us.”

“We can still hang out later today if you want,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Yeah, I’m definitely in the mood for some hangin’ out,” Apple Bloom said.

“Thanks you guys. You’re the best friends a pony could ask for,” Scootaloo said. “But you all should get going. I believe they have some awards to give out.”

“Okay, but afterward we should go to Donut Joe’s and celebrate,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Yeah! That sounds nice.” Scootaloo smiled, which was a more than welcome sight for them to see.

The five ponies began walking over to the winner’s platform where Granny Smith waited to bestow upon Rarity and Sweetie Belle their first-place medals. As they walked through the crowd, several ponies approached them to offer congratulations.

“A job well done, girls!” Mr. & Mrs. Cake said. They had with them two strollers carrying little Pound and Pumpkin Cake. Both were wide-eyed at everything around them.

“You two were awesome!” Bon Bon said. She and some of her girlfriends were thrilled to see Rarity take home the gold.

Even some of the construction ponies took time off to attend the event. “Nice moves on the field, Rarity!” Jack Hammer said.

“Thank you all, thank you!” Rarity had no trouble accepting everypony’s praise.

One more special pony appeared from the crowd. “You girls did well playing your game. For the rest of the day, I hope you enjoy your fame,” Zecora said.

“Thanks Zecora! Glad you came from the Everfree Forest to be here!” Sweetie Belle said.

Just when they thought they had seen everypony imaginable, another surprise guest came forth. “As the Mayor of Ponyville, I would like to say congratulations to you both. The Sisterhooves Social has become such an important event to Ponyville, we are proud to be here to show our support of you.” Mayor Mare said.

Applejack turned to the three Cutie Mark Crusaders. “Golly gosh, is it just me or does it feel like even more ponies showed up while the contest was going on? I can’t believe even the Mayor is here today! I never imagined the Sisterhooves Social would come this far along.”

Each of the girls, including Scootaloo, shook hooves with the Mayor. After their encounter with her, they finally reached Granny Smith and Big Mac at the winner’s platform. Rarity and Sweetie Belle gave quick hugs to Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo before they began ascending to the top of the platform.

Along the way up the stairs Rarity turned to her sister. “Sweetie Belle, I just wanted to say something. I’m really happy for us today. I’ve learned so much since last year when we did this. Since then I’ve tried never to take for granted that you’re my sister. Sure, we may clash horns here and there, but at the end of the day I always count you in my blessings,” she said.

Sweetie Belle didn’t say anything. Instead, she jumped up to give her big sister a hug. When she let go, they continued to the top where Big Mac stood ready with the medals to give them.

Scootaloo, Applejack, and Apple Bloom watched as their friends stood on the platform. Even though she was bummed not taking home the gold this year, Applejack was proud to see Rarity come so far. Good going Rarity. You’ve done right by your sister.

Apple Bloom waved as she watched Sweetie Belle accept her medal. Those two should be proud today.

When Rarity received her medal, she and Sweetie Belle embraced each other once again and everypony in the audience erupted in applause. Scootaloo joined in the celebration, but she could not help but envision her and Rainbow Dash up on the winner’s platform instead.

Just then, Scootaloo noticed something in the air behind them. Whatever it was, it was approaching in fast. Slowly more and more ponies began to notice the incoming object and started pointing to it. Rarity and Sweetie Belle turned to see what everypony was looking at.

“What do you think that is?” Apple Bloom asked.

Applejack made her eyes squint before she figured it out. “Don’t tell me that’s who I think it is…”

Scootaloo was trying to make sense of what everypony was seeing. Her stomach immediately sank when she noticed the rainbow trail tracing through the sky. What’s going on? Is she really coming?

There was no mistaking that it was a Pegasus, but none of the ponies could hear what she was shouting.

“Wait everypony! Waaait!” Rainbow Dash said.