• Published 29th Dec 2012
  • 2,904 Views, 105 Comments

Big Sister Rainbow - Nova Force



Scootaloo wants to participate in the Sisterhooves Social, so she decides to ask Rainbow Dash to be her sister! Will Rainbow Dash make the commitment, or will an opportunity to hang out with the Wonderbolts interfere with Scootaloo's plans?

  • ...
1
 105
 2,904

Wonderbolt Training

Jeez, how in the world do these ponies do it?

Rainbow Dash thought she knew what it meant to train hard. She wasn’t even close. The Wonderbolts knew how to play, and they played rough. Cloudsdale had a special flight deck for training restricted to all Pegasi except the Wonderbolts. Rainbow Dash had always wanted to see where they practiced for as long as she could remember. Now, after years of curiosity, she was finally going to get a chance to experience for herself where her heroes perfected their magic.

At first, everything looked fairly similar to the other flight decks, except there were very few places to sit. Soarin’ mentioned the lack of seating was meant to discourage curious Pegasi from sneaking in to watch. Cloudsale security was also tighter at the Wonderbolt’s flight deck with at least one guard present whenever they trained. Security has never been much of an issue at Cloudsdale, but the Wonderbolts requested some safeguard to prevent Pegasi from peering into their practice. If everypony knew their routines before they performed, it would take the “wonder” out of their name. Luckily for Rainbow Dash, Soarin’ told the guard about her coming to practice with them today.

As she was watching Soarin’ leaving trails of smoke and lightning behind him in the air, Rainbow Dash stood on a ramp watching in awe. The Wonderbolts captain, Spitfire, took notice of her locked eyes and trotted up to her.

“So what do you think so far of how we practice?” Spitfire said.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes were zigzagging along with Soarin’s flying pattern. “It’s awesome! You all are the best for a reason, and now I can see why.”

Spitfire grinned at Rainbow Dash’s kind words. “Hey, everypony’s got to start somewhere. We were beginners once. I can remember waking up early every morning when I was a filly and I knew I had to practice, practice, and practice.”

“Yeah, but it’s worth it, right?” Her eyes were still glued to Soarin’.

“Oh, absolutely. There’s nothing I would rather be doing. But it can be hard at times. Our training schedule doesn’t allow us very much time to hang out with friends. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve had to break commitments to my friends due to my being a Wonderbolt. In fact, I’ve even lost some friends over the years. A few of them were very close, even like sisters.”

The momentum of Rainbow Dash’s enjoyment was halted by Spitfire’s words. Her eyes finally stopped following Soarin’. She didn’t know if this was a cruel joke or wild coincidence. What Spitfire was saying sounded eerily familiar. This has got to be some kind of bad joke. “Wow,” was all Rainbow Dash could muster to say.

Spitfire noticed Rainbow Dash’s eyes fell away from her airborne colleague. “But I was wondering something. Do you think it would be possible for you to show us a Sonic Rainboom?”

Uh oh. Rainbow Dash knew that this was going to be brought up sooner or later. “Well, I’m really sorry, but it’s not that easy. I can’t just do one whenever I want.”

“Why not?” Spitfire did not even attempt to conceal her disappointment.

Rainbow Dash offered the captain an encouraging smile. “Every time I’ve been able to perform one, I felt like I had a purpose. It’s more than just flying really fast. Believe me, if I could, I’d be doing them every day.”

Spitfire’s face went sour. “Are you sure?”

“Positive.” Rainbow Dash tried to think of how she could convey her genuine regret because, deep down, she realized that, once again, she was letting down another pony.

She didn’t have time to think for very long because at that moment, Soarin’ made his finishing move and landed on the ground. The impact of his landing caused his scent to waft over to where Rainbow Dash was standing. Most ponies would have considered the odor of a sweaty Wonderbolt unpleasant, but anypony who’s ever had a crush before knows that when you like somepony, you savor every moment inhaling the aroma he or she leaves behind. Rainbow Dash forced herself to take slow, deep breaths. Now there’s a pony who knows how to fly.

Of all that could have happened at that moment, Rainbow Dash heard a voice that she never thought would reach her ears at Cloudsdale, let alone the Wonderbolt’s restricted flight deck.

“Rainbow Dash!” It was Twilight.

“Wha-huh? Twilight? What are you doing here? How did you get past security?” Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts shot looks of bewilderment at each other.

Twilight acted as if she didn’t hear the question. “Rainbow, listen to me. I have to show you something very important.”

“Can it wait? I’m kind of busy here.” Rainbow Dash lowered her head in mild embarrassment.

“No, it can’t. This is about Scootaloo.” The resolve in Twilight’s voice was unwavering.

“What? Excuse me, but how is that any of your business?”

Twilight did not answer. Instead, her horn began glowing purple and her pupils faded away. Without warning, two beams of light shot from Twilight’s eyes and locked with Rainbow Dash’s. Soon the environment around Rainbow Dash disappeared. The Wonderbolt flight deck morphed into Twilight’s library. Twilight herself vanished and was replaced by the image of Scootaloo, who was speaking to her about something.

“I’m not sure you do know how it feels. I know you don’t have a sister, but I don’t think you know what it’s like to have your favorite pony agree to be your sister.”

Rainbow Dash stood silently. She realized that she couldn’t move or say anything. All she could do was look down at Scootaloo who continued talking about how Applejack and Apple Bloom share family inside jokes, and how Rarity and Sweetie Belle get closer after every argument.

“…Rainbow Dash doesn’t have a sister either. Since her and I are both Pegasus ponies, I thought we might be able to share that together,” Scootaloo said.

Rainbow Dash noticed something peculiar about Scootaloo’s eyes. When she focused in on them she was shocked to see not her reflection, but Twilight’s. Great Celestia… Twilight is sharing her thoughts with me.

“She’s fearless. She’s loyal. She’s fun to be around! She’s everything a pony could want in a sister. I admire her so much for who she is. And now, just for a weekend, I get to be the luckiest pony in all of Equestria because I’ll have Rainbow Dash as my sister.”

The words sank heavily into Rainbow Dash’s heart. I had no idea she felt this way.

Suddenly, Twilight’s library faded away into blackness. For a moment Rainbow Dash was alone, but soon she found herself outside in the dark of night walking toward Ponyville. She didn’t remember walking this particular trail recently, so it had to be another one of Twilight’s memories. There was an odd weight on her back. Before she knew it, her head involuntarily turned to her back and she saw what the weight was: an exhausted looking Scootaloo who had tears streaming down her face.

It was this image that seared into Rainbow Dash’s mind. Her gut began writhing in agony upon seeing Scootaloo in such pain. I’m sorry! It’s all my fault!

Once again the environment around her dissolved into blackness. Soon Rainbow Dash found herself back at the Wonderbolt flight deck. The beams of light that connected Rainbow Dash’s and Twilight’s eyes died away, and Twilight’s pupils were restored. All of the Wonderbolts were circled around the two ponies, stupefied by the magic they had witnessed.

Twilight came face-to-face with Rainbow Dash and spoke. “Rainbow, I wanted you to experience firsthoof how much this weekend was going to mean to Scootaloo. Earlier you asked me how this was my business. Well, it became my business when Scootaloo opened up to me about how much she was looking forward to having you as a big sister. It became my business when I carried Scootaloo crying from the tiny hill outside of Ponyville all the way to my house after you left her there. It became my business when Scootaloo slept over on my couch while I stayed up all night searching for this spell.”

Tears were welling up in Rainbow Dash’s eyes. “Twilight, I- I had no idea. I’m so sorry.”

Twilight’s face hardened. “You carry the element of harmony that represents loyalty. You’ve taught me so much about friendship that it’s hard to believe you could do something like this. And for what? A flying lesson?”

Rainbow Dash’s tone went defiant, “This isn’t just a ‘flying lesson’. Every Pegasus looks up the Wonderbolts. These ponies are the best flyers in Equestria!”

Twilight snapped back. “Rainbow, you are the best flyer in Equestria.”

Under normal circumstances Rainbow Dash would have been flattered by such a lofty compliment. Instead, however, she was blindsided by it. “What?”

“You’re the best flyer in Equestria. Fluttershy’s told me all kinds of stories about how much the young Pegasi just love you at summer flight camp. You’re the only pony I know who can do a Sonic Rainboom. Not even the Wonderbolts can do that. And you say every Pegasus looks up to them. Well, I know one little Pegasus doesn’t,” Twilight paused. “She looks up to you.”

Rainbow Dash did not say anything. She just looked back at Twilight. So many thoughts were swirling around in her head. For a while she had suspected that Scootaloo thought she was cool, but only the same way the young Pegasi at summer flight camp did. Never did Rainbow Dash imagine that anypony would harbor a burning desire to have her as a big sister.

She then looked over at the Wonderbolts, who were still at a loss for words. Soarin’s head tilted back and forth as he tried to process everything. Spitfire was staring at Twilight, apparently mesmerized by the display of magic she had performed. Something Spitfire had said earlier suddenly echoed in Rainbow Dash’s thoughts: I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve had to break commitments to my friends. Then the image of Scootaloo crying on Twilight’s back flashed in her mind.

Enough. The tears in Rainbow Dash’s eyes began drying away as she flexed her wings and clenched her jaw. “I’m going to make this right,” Rainbow Dash said, almost as if to herself.

“Wait, what did you say?” Twilight said.

“I said I’m going to make this right!” With that, Rainbow Dash kicked hard off the flight deck board and was airborne. The force from her liftoff knocked everypony off their hooves. By the time they stood back up, Rainbow Dash was already hurdling herself back down toward Ponyville. As Celestia as my witness, I’m going to make this right!