• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 13,352 Views, 404 Comments

To Be Young and Stupid - Crowley



Apple Bloom enlists your help in gaining her Cutie Mark. Adorable hijinks ensue.

  • ...
15
 404
 13,352

Part 6

Each day saw something new from the three strange fillies. Wednesday had you drawing plans for them in your sketchbook regarding patrol routes around the school. Thursday gave you the idea that Cutie Mark Crusader Bodyguards weren’t so well received by the teachers, especially since it did more harm to them than good.

Friday, as wonderful as that day usually is, doesn’t seem to be making much headway. None of you can come up with anything worthwhile to do, be it to do with Cutie Marks or not, and the fillies are busy with a “family-related party” that was due that night after school.

“It’s a welcoming party for Herman!” the team unicorn squeaks, over the school cafeteria table, “He’s finally getting one tonight!”

“His name isn’t Herman, Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo interjects, “A herman is what he is. There‘s a difference.”

“You’re both wrong,” Apple Bloom rests her head on a propped-up hoof, “it’s pronounced hyoomin!”

“Hyoo… mun?”

“Huuuh… Mann?”

“Isn’t it pronounced human?”

“Naw, that doesn’t sound right to me…”

You remember seeing supposed "herman" around town and the farm, once or twice. You've never really batted an eyelid at it though. It's no minotaur or gryphon, or even diamond dog. Either way, Apple Bloom invites you to come along to the welcoming party; the more the merrier, after all.

“Sorry girls,” you frown, “Mom says I should ask her at least a week in advance to sleeping over at somepony's house - especially if it's a filly - and I wanna stay on Mom’s good side if she’s gonna buy me more parts for the train set.”

Of course, you don't know why your mother dislikes the idea of her son sleeping with girls at your age. Nor will you know for a good number of years.

“Aww, darn. That’s a shame.” Apple Bloom sighs. You could have sworn you saw her internally slump a little, “But you’re good for Saturday, right?”

“Tomorrow’s fine,” you give your friend a playful nudge to cheer her up. She seems to perk up slightly, if only in reaction to you touching her. “You girls enjoy the party and stuff, I have things that need doing anyway.”

“Like what?”

Your thoughts drift towards your saddlebag and the sketchbook that sits within it. You’ve been playing around with something in your head for a while now and it would be interesting to have enough free time to get the idea onto paper.

“It’s a surprise,” you reply with a wry, knowing wink. Apple Bloom has no idea what you mean by that. Honestly, neither do you. Yet.

*******

The end-of-school bell tolls and you say your goodbyes to the Crusaders. Your friends, as you call them now. Normally, you’d walk with them until it was time to part ways. Today, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle branch off early to rendezvous at the Carousel Boutique, Sweetie’s sister’s home (no idea on her name, something posh) to collect party invitations.

That just leaves you, Apple Bloom and Apple Jack (is it one or two words in that name? You don’t know) to walk most of the way.

The walk along the cobblestone Ponyville streets is mostly in an awkward silence. Apple Bloom’s sister is clearly thinking about something else, probably wondering if everything is set for “the herman’s” party, while Apple Bloom’s confidence seems to droop whenever her fellow Crusaders aren’t nearby. You still manage to get responses to simple questions from her. But they seemed to be lacking something. For example…

“So,” you ask, “Any thoughts on getting your Cutie Mark?”

“…Nah.”

You try again. “Are you looking forward to the party?”

“…I guess.”

Jeez, what’s up with her? Think, boy, think! She’s obviously feeling down about something, so what’s the best thing you could do to help? Clearly, you should ask her if she’s okay!

“Are you okay, Apple Bloom?”

“…Yeah.”

Well that didn’t work at all. C’mon, the awkwardness of this walk is increasing with every hoof-step. Think harder… think about how you’d like to be treated if you were feeling glum. If you were hurt, she’d - well, she already had once before - hug you. She needs a hug? You dunno, talking didn’t work. But you don’t wanna catch cooties from her, which will almost certainly happen if you try to hug her. Oh, the indecision!

You reach the fork in the Ponyville streets, where you split off for home and the Apple family heads on for Sweet Apple Acres. This is where you would normally split off for dinner before reuniting with them at the clubhouse. Today, it’s where you say your goodbyes until tomorrow.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, alright kid?” Apple Bloom puts on her best brave-face, which is strange. Considering all the trouble and dangerous situations she’s been through in her short life, whatever is making her feel nervous now must be a real big thing for her.

“Tomorrow it is,” you smile back, ”One more thing, though.”

Your friend’s blank stare gives you the impression that she’s ready for what you’re about to give her. Or not.

Okay, take a deep breath, whatever you do, don’t inhale her girly-fumes to make her better. Ready? Three, two, one…

Holding your breath, you put one hoof over Apple Bloom’s unsuspecting shoulder, another around her tummy and pull her close to you, holding her there in what one could mistake as a gentle embrace. Her body tenses at first, completely gob-smacked, trying to process your attempt at being caring and nice. You’d be confused too, really.

Slowly, Apple Bloom returns the hug, her head burying into your shoulder. Her red hair tickles your nose. Despite trying to avoid her smelly, girly aroma, you can’t help but notice her hair smells a little like… almonds? You’d have imagined it would be something more apple-related like, I dunno, apples.

When the hug finally ends after ten seconds - not nine, not eleven, but ten; that’s how hugs work, right? - you let her go. She kind of falls back until she lands in a sitting position, her face a little happier and a lot redder.

“Feeling any better?” you ask.

“A little.”

Her older sister, a prime witness to the whole event, quietly breathes a sigh of relief. Her little sister hugging a boy? At least she’s not sky-diving or cliff-jumping or bear-taming or anything equally as dumb in an attempt to gain a Cutie Mark. Hugs are fine in comparison. Heck, maybe the colt’s sense could rub off on her.

Apple Bloom’s goodbye wave as you trot away is far more enthusiastic. Whatever you did to her sure helped. This isn’t the first time a hug between you and her seemed to have that effect. Strangely, you have absolutely no idea what “that effect” is. Pony scientists should totally research hugs as a means for scientific advancement.

That’d be awesome.