• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 4,606 Views, 53 Comments

When The Moon Is Full - bricann



Who is Twilight Sparkle? Does anypony know?

  • ...
9
 53
 4,606

Chapter 1: It Has Only Just Begun

When The Moon Is Full
Chapter 1: It Has Only Just Begun
806 AB of D (After Banishment of Discord)

Her face was one of despair. Her newborn foal had been happy and giddy for attention. She had a coat of dark lavender as well as dark lavender wings and a mane of navy with purple and rose highlights. She magicked the foal out from beneath the blankets as it shivered in the frigid winter air and embraced it for the final time. She reluctantly lowered it into the dark wicker basket filled with rich velvet. The mare crept toward a house with glimmering lights and booming laughter; the hearty peals of a contented household.

She placed the basket on the doorstep ever so gently and galloped away into the night. She halted abruptly about a hundred feet away and returned, gliding back with soft wingbeats like those of an owl. She leaned over the now whimpering foal, compassion in her dragon eyes. "Remember my little filly, your name is Shimmer Eclipse, daughter of Nightmare Moon and heir to my rule. I don’t trust that two-faced tyrant any more than a Diamond Dog.” Her horn began glowing a deep azure.

“You will repeat your life cycle as often as needed and appear as a common pony until I come for you and bestow your birthright.” Her horn faded to its charcoal black as a tear leaked down her face. The filly’s wings evaporated into thin air as she stirred in her sleep.

“My sweet, I love you and always will. Remember me as I will forever know the wonder that lights your face when I teach you something new, the soft touch of your down, the--" The mare couldn’t continue. “Stay safe,” she choked out and kissed the filly on the forehead just below her horn. She knocked thrice on the wooden door and unfurled her wings. She soared away, flew to battle with a hole in her heart and less mana than she knew to fight for her daughter left in the custody of strangers. But what choice did she have? Celestia would have killed Eclipse on the spot for having such power and a even for the scarce amount of dark magic she had within her. But the filly would remember. She knew that Eclipse would, she just had to.

“Glaze, could you get the door?”

"Okay, honey, he- oh my, Mic, look at this!” A pale pegasus mare with a roughly cut green and yellow mane called a pale stallion over in distress. “Why would someone leave their child? Why us?" The mare fussed, lifting the sleeping foal out of the basket.
"I... I don't know. But should we take it in, Glaze? I mean, it could’ve been foalnapped." the unicorn stallion replied in the utmost concern for the foal. But you could tell he wanted to adopt the poor filly.

Glaze noticed her husband’s expression of longing toward the little filly. “Mic, I think we should. If not us, then who else? And you know Mining’s wanted a little sister for so long...” she passed the foal to Mic, who caught her in a blue aura. The filly finally awoke and curiously examined her surroundings. A lock of crimson mane caught her eye and promptly tugged on it with her miniature hooves. An expression of amused pain crossed Mic’s face.

“Ah, ah.... ow.” Mic winced as he pulled his mane free from the foal’s grasp. He gave her a stern look which the filly returned. He smiled dazzlingly. “Oh, I can’t stay mad at you.” Mic turned to his wife. “Glaze...”

She smiled in return. “I think the same thing.”

A dark brown colt walked over. “What’s going on?”

“Mining, meet your new sister.” Mic said in his rich bass voice, levitating the filly closer to Mining Auger.

His blue eyes nearly bugged out of his head. “Whoa! Where’d she come from? What’s her name?”

The couple shared a glance. “How about you help us come up with one?” Glaze suggested.

“Well,” Mining scratched his disheveled mane with a hoof. “Her eyes’re sparkly so Sparkle should be part of ‘er name.”

“She kind of looks like the shade of purple just before the sky turns black.

---

As the filly grew, she grew slowly. So she could be at the latest twenty-one by the time she was able to rejoin with her own mother. Though this tactic seemed to confuse some. For they saw Twilight move from house to house through adoption services but taking so long to grow in size. When she was five she seemed to look five but the strange part was she already had her cutie mark. Most five year old fillies and colts never get their cutie mark until they are either are ten or in their teens. But by the time she turned ten most of those confused were gone. But when she turned ten she started to grow like a normal pony.

She learned more and more, soon enough to become Princess Celestia's student. Luckily, Princess Celestia has yet to find her in the disguise she is in.

Throughout the years, Twilight Sparkle had figured out a spell to lower the dark spell that had been cast upon her and put the spell back so her true appearance couldn't be discovered. She had found her true cutie mark was of a faint moon with bright stars surrounding it. Along with the dark blue mane with the purple streak. She also found her true coat was that of a dark lavender. Her wings had a color of a dark lavender that was the same as her coat.

As she found out her true appearances, she remembered her mother, and how she disappeared. Soon, she remembered her true name.

'Shimmer Eclipse' she thought to herself over the years. She dreamed of seeing her mother again. To be able to rule along side her and live by her mother's side.

But, by what she learned, most alicorns with parents are mortal and do not live over the amount of one hundred years. Even Celestia found it strange to see a mortal alicorn live over one hundred. But she had always known Twilight as a unicorn. This made her most curious but her wisdom told her that she should not ask the lavender unicorn about how.

'She probably doesn't know anyway,' Celestia always thought. Though it still seemed strange, she let it pass.

'So why have I lived over nine hundred years' Twilight had always thought to herself.The years had always felt so lonely without her mother. 'However, if I was truly mortal I would never be able to see my mother.' This made her grin.

Twilight Sparkle- Age: 21

'Why did I get this job again' Twilight thought. 'This must be the worst job ever.'

She had been sent to Ponyville to supervise the Summer Sun Celebration. She had a list ready to check everything off that was done. She stepped one foot off the carriage and there was a pink, earth pony standing straight in front of her.
"Uh... hi?" Twilight asked nervously.

The pink pony just took a deep breath of surprise and darted off like a bullet.

"Well that was... interesting," Twilight said trying to think of the right word. She was a bit amused at the reaction of the earth pony.
"Okay, first the food. There is apparently a mare named Applejack making the food at a place called Sweet Apple Acres." Twilight as she walked in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

After about a five minute walk Twilight reached Sweet Apple Acres. It wasn't too long before she heard a mare bucking an apple tree. As she walked up to the mare she stopped in her tracks.

"Good afternoon. My name is Twilight Sparkle and I..." she was cut off by the shaking of her hoof.

"Howdy! Ah pleasure making yer acquaintance. I'm Applejack. We at Sweet Apple Acres do like making friends" the tan mare said.

"I am not entirely sure I would be such a great fr..." once again Twilight was cut off.

"Nonsense. Now, what can I do ya for?" Applejack asked.

"I am simply here to supervise the preparations of the Summer Sun Celebration. You are in charge of the food, correct?" Twilight asked she had to maintain a good image until she was with her mother. Or else she would never see her mother.

"We sure as sugar are! Would ya like a sample?" Applejack replied enthusiastically.

"I am actually a bit busy at the moment. You know, trying to get all the preparations ready in time. I am terribly sorry." She started to walk off but to look back at a sad earth pony. So she forced a smile on and called back, "I'll see you at the Celebration, though!"

Applejack perked her ears and and gave a happy smile back then nodded in approval. She then returned to her duties.
As Twilight walked she pulled out her check list and read it aloud. "So... there is supposed to be a pegasus named Rainbow Dash clearing the sky."

She put her list back in the saddle bag and sighed. 'This is going to be a long day.'

The sky was full of clouds that dotted the sky. Twilight thought the only thing on her mind, 'She is so not doing a good job.'

Next thing she knew, she was rammed by a pegasus. She guess it was Rainbow Dash, due to the rainbow mane and her speed.
"Let me guess," Twilight said catching the pegasus's attention, "You're Rainbow Dash."

"The one and only." she said in overly confident voice. "Why? You heard of me?"

"I've heard you are supposed to me clears the clouds!" she snapped, making the cyan pegasus cower. Realizing what she did, she simply apologized to maintain that goody-good image. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

Rainbow Dash perked up and accepted the apology with a simple nod. "It's okay. I get like that sometimes, too! Anyway, I can clear the clouds, simple. I can do it in ten seconds flat!"

Twilight wanted proof. She gave a daring glare that could even dare a mountain to move. "Prove it."

"Fine." Rainbow Dash said. That was just before she took of at high speeds and bucked all the clouds out of the sky. She landed in front of Twilight, panting. Twilight's mouth gaping in amazement.

'Well this day is interesting, alright.' Twilight thought.

"See... *pant*... told ya." Rainbow Dash said regaining her breath. She looked at Twilight Sparkle and started to outbreak in a laughing fit. "You're a laugh... what's your name again?"

"Twilight Sparkle," She said and soon added, "And you wouldn't want to be my friend. Trust me."

"Why?" Rainbow Dash pressed for answers.

'Every pony wants friends. Why wouldn't she?' Rainbow thought.

"You... you don't want to know." Twilight said sadly. She wished she could have told her, but she knew how dangerous it was until she was with her mother. Then, it would be safe.

Rainbow gave her a curious look as Twilight walked off into her next area.

Twilight pulled out her check list, "Okay, so, I need to go to the Carousel Boutique. To see a unicorn named Rarity's progress."

After about a ten minute trot she finally caught sight of the Carousel Boutique. She went into a light gallop, since she wanted to get to where she will be staying and wait for the night. She was soon in the Carousel Boutique.

"Hello? Is there a Miss Rarity here?" Twilight called. The room was empty, then a white unicorn head poked out of a door way.

"Oh! Hello! I'm Rarity. Who might you be?" Rarity asked as she came out.

"I am Twilight Sparkle and I am here to supervise the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration." Twilight spat it out fast so she couldn't be interrupted. Again.

'If I have to say that sentence one more time, I'll... I'll...' Twilight's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the unicorns voice.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. The Twilight Sparkle! Princess Celestia's student in my boutique!" She was about to faint. So Twilight snapped her out before she could.

"Okay, okay. So, how are you doing in progress for the Summer Sun Celebration?" Twilight Sparkle asked.

"It is going very well. I have everything done . I just have to do a few touch-ups to do." Rarity said with enthusiasm.

"Very well. I will leave you to do the last touch-ups needed." She was about to walk out but she stopped and said, "Thank you for your services." Rarity's face beamed with happiness as Twilight walked out.

Twilight took out her check list to see she was on her very last thing needed. "Music. A pegasus named, Fluttershy is haddling this topic. This should be easy." she said, soon to hear the tunes of music made of the chorus of birds. She peeked through the bushes to see a yellow pegasus with a mane and tail of baby pink. She walked up to the chorus.

"Hello." she greeted, startling the pegasus and the birds. Most of the birds flew to another tree. "Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't me to scare you or your birds. I am simply here to check up on the music. It sounds beautiful. I believe your name is Fluttershy. Am I right?"

She seemed timid at Twilight's presence and all she did was give a slight whimper. The birds soon were back in their places.

"I can see your birds are back. I will just be on my way." Twilight said with a nervous grin.

The yellow pegasus peeked out from under her mane and for the first time she said, "Wait." Her voice was soft and shy just like her name and personality.

"Yes?" Twilight asked, shocked as she finally got something out of her. But she didn't show any shock, but she showed happiness.
"My name is Fluttershy." Fluttershy spoke the last of her name so quietly that it was almost inaudible.

"Nice to meet you. But I must be going. I need some rest if I am going to be awake at the Summer Sun Celebration." Twilight said. Fluttershy nodded in approval.

"Thank you for your help with this, Fluttershy." Twilight said and got a smile back for Fluttershy.

'Ugh... all this goody-goody stuff is exhausting. Why do ponies have to be so perfect.' Twilight thought as she entered place she will be staying. Which was, luckily, a library.

For some reason, it was pitch black inside. "Where is the lights?" Before she even found them the lights flicked on and she was surrounded by a hoard of ponies. The pink earth pony, which she remember from first getting to Ponyville, was the first to speak.
"Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie. I threw this party just for you! Were you surprised? Huh, huh,huh!" She seemed like a hyperactive pony that was overly excited

"Very surprised..." Twilight made her face look exhausted in order to get away and get some sleep. Pretending to be a goody-goody and work out the preparations is very tiring. Not to mention the fact you have to hide who you truly are.

"When I saw you, I didn't know who you were. Which meant you were new! Because I know everypony in Ponyville. I mean every pony." Then she saw Twilight's expression. "Wait, are you tired?"

"Actually, I am a bit. The party is great and I love it. But from all I have done today. It takes it out of you. You know what I mean?" Twilight said trying to not crush this Pinkie Pie's feelings.

"I understand. You were in the hot sun trotting around all day. I makes since for you to be so tired." Pinkie Pie said cheerfully but you could tell she was a bit sad.

"Thank you. You can stay here and party as long as you like. Just not too loud so I can sleep." Twilight said to boost her spirits. Which it did.

She perked up and ran back to tell every pony about what's going on. Twilight trotted up the stair and onto the soft cushion of the bed.

'What was it with these ponies perking up after they were sad, tired, or even timid? It's just weird.' Twilight thought.

She watched the clock, waiting for the time of the Summer Sun Celebration. For when it was time, she would be with her mother once again. She stared out the window and at the mare in the moon. She was ready to see the sky in total darkness. It was her favorite time of day. Not only because she was the daughter of night but because she saw the beauty in it that others did not. The way the stars gleamed.The way her mother's moon glowed in the night. She saw some stars moving towards the moon that would aid in her mother's escape of her banishment.

"Hey Twilight! Time to watch the sun rise!" Rainbow Dash's voice called from down stairs. Twilight grinned. She would finally be able to show her true self.
---
From the library to the tent, it was a very short walk. Probably about a minute or two.

"Are you excited? Because I'm excited. But maybe not as excited as when I first saw you but really who can top that." Pinkie Pie finally finished her babbling.

"Ladies and Gentlecolts, it is my great pleasure to host the years Summer Sun Celebration." the Mayor of Ponyville began.

Everypony cheered with excitement. "Now let me bring out the great, the wise, the bringer of the sun and the moon each and everyday, Princess Celestia!" Rarity pulled back the curtains and the princess walked out a smile on her face.

Twilight watched the moon instead of Celestia as she walked out onto the terrace. Then the stars closed in on the moon and the mare in the moon disappeared.

Author's Note:

My inspiration of this story goes to Field_Marshal_Luna.