• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 1,184 Views, 25 Comments

The Sorrow and the Temptation - Hustlin Tom



The story of what drove Princess Luna to become Nightmare Moon and how she tried to bring eternal night

  • ...
2
 25
 1,184

Chapter 4

Princess Celestia had noticed the absence of her sister, but had not thought much of it until a full day and night had passed. The moon was not late in its rising, but her sister had not done it from her customary place in the castle, which was Luna’s tower in the northern wing. She had sent a detachment of pegasi to search the skies and grounds below, but none yet had reported back about the whereabouts of her sister. It was now midafternoon on the second day, and Princess Celestia found herself pacing anxiously about the hallways of Everfree Castle. She was walking past the Hall of the Court, her vibrant pink hair trailing lazily behind her, when she heard a loud and agitated commotion through the door.

“What in the name of the Royal Sisters?”

A mare screamed shrilly, “what are those hideous beasts?”

“Out! Get out of my way! They’re vam-ponies!” cried a stallion.

The doors burst open and several ponies of all kinds were thrown through the air by the summoning of the Royal Voice of Declaration, “THAT IS ENOUGH OF THAT KIND OF SLANDEROUS TONGUE WAGGLING!”

Princess Celestia would recognize the voice of her sister anytime, any day, and any decibel. What she had the hardest time believing was that Princess Luna was holding some sort of court, and in the company of a coven of bat ponies. “Sister, what is the meaning of upsetting the petitioners to our court, and in bringing such kind as these Antrozi here?”

Princess Luna looked to her sister with stern cold anger and she quickly shortened the gap between herself and her sister with several hoof strides, “You mean to say you’ve known the plight of this unfortunate herd, dear sister? For how long?”

“Princess Luna, answer my question. What are they doing here?”

“They have come here under my protection. Do not attempt to evade my question, Princess Celestia: How long have you known of the mistreatment of the Antrozi?”

“Several hundred years.”

“Several hundred years?” Princess Luna jaw gaped in surprised frustration, “You mean to say you have known of the repression and injustices laid upon this innocent people for nothing more than their appearance?”

Princess Celestia arched an eyebrow, “You never were that much of a socialite, were you? You mean in all these years of living with our subjects, you never once thought to actually learn some of the issues of the day? You never once stepped out of the castle and just mingled?”

“I never had time, Tia! I was busy actually doing something to protect the ponies of this nation, rather than just being a beautiful face who could afford to delegate her duties to others so she could run outside and play with the other fillies and colts like an immature little foal!”

The room was silent but for the heartbeats of everypony present. Princess Luna drew in her breath and spoke again, “Our mother taught us to love and care for others as if they were family; as if they were our children,” she snorted vaporous breath out of her nostrils, “How can you allow acts such as this to occur to our subjects?”

Princess Celestia was doing everything to control her voice and her temper, “We have to love our subjects for everything they are, Luna, including their faults and frailties. Am I happy that such things as these occur in our realm? No. Is there anything I can do about it? Yes, but nothing that can have an immediate effect. I have tried to make it so that in the course of time the Antrozi herd and other herds like them will be accepted, but you know as well as I that stubbornness is a trait that all ponies seem to share.”

“Mandate change then,” Princess Luna countered, “Publish an edict stating that all ponies, regardless of origin or race should be treated as equals.”

“One cannot sway a populace one way or another simply by ordering it so! Laws are only good and proper if ponies follow them both in spirit and in fact, and Equestria’s spirit is not ready yet for such a drastic transition of civil rights!”

“But it’s wrong to allow such crimes to continue, Tia!”

“I KNOW!” Celestia roared at the top of her lungs. The floor shook the tiniest bit, and dust fell from the eaves of the court.

Alarm was written across every single face of the bat pony coven. Some were gripped to the spot where they stood out of fear of somepony else exploding in rage, while others were trying their hardest to remain unseen as they attempted to slip away. Princess Luna closed every door leading out of the Hall of the Court with a flash of her magic, and she turned to face them, her eyes flashing white, “Stay where you are! You should not be ashamed to receive restitution for what’s been done to you.”

Princess Celestia took a step forward, her voice still edged with agitation, “Luna, if they want to leave, let them go.”

Princess Luna whirled around and her white gaze was now upon her sister, “I promised that I would protect them, and that is what I intend to do!”

“Did they have any say in the matter?”

This gave the azure alicorn pause; she had ordered them to the palace without truly thinking out the consequences of what could happen. Her eyes closed, she sighed, and she released all her anger, letting all of it flow away, allowing her eyes to return to normal. She looked to Acaeus, Orpheus, and the other bat ponies present, “Antrozi, I have in my rashness not allowed you to choose your own fate in this matter. I..apologize for my presumptuousness. Whatever you choose, I will respect your decision.”

The Antrozi did not respond for a full minute. They looked to each other, looking for somepony else to make the decision of what they should do, and then they all turned to look at Acaeus. The Covenmaster stepped forward to address both of the Royal Sisters, “Thank you, your Majesty and your Majesty, for allowing us to see that there is compassion for even the most downtrodden of ponyfolk in this land. Tradition stands that says that whatever the final decision of the Covenmaster, the rest of the Coven is honor bound to follow suit, whether for good or for ill. I am old, though, and whatever blessings you will bestow on my people will never belong to me or my generation. The choice, I believe, should be made by our youngest, for he will be the one to reap either the blessing or curse of what is to come in time.” Acaeus searched about himself, as did the other Antrozi, “Where is Orpheus?”

Princess Celestia smiled as she looked to one of the clear windows that was housed in the Hall of the Court, beneath which stood little Orpheus, looking out at the waning sun. Twilight was fast approaching.

“Sister,” Princess Luna said quietly to Princess Celestia, “He’s never seen the stars. Could you lower the sun a little early today?”

The Regent of the Sun looked to the Keeper of the Night, a pleasant smile still on her face, “I don’t see why not. Make the stars spectacular tonight!”

“Don’t I always?” Princess Luna huffed.

Princess Celestia closed her eyes, and her horn was enveloped in golden light. With her increased concentration, the softly glowing red orb in the sky began a measured but quick descent to beyond the horizon's reach. Princess Luna now in turn closed her eyes and utilized her magic to clear the atmosphere of any weather that might block her canvas. There was to be no overcast skies tonight: tonight was to be a labor of love, to make everything absolutely right!

The strong and vibrant orange, fiery red, and soothing green of the day was replaced with tones of deep blue, ravishing indigo, and strong ebony. With the darkness came the most beautiful display of starlight ever know to pony eyes. The cosmos was alive and well, each of the stars dancing in slow time to the Mistress of the Night; dancing singularly, in pairs, and in vast groups through the ballroom of the sky, each with its own brightness and hue.

Orpheus gasped as he looked on the display, utterly bewitched and dumbfounded by the most beautiful thing he had ever laid eyes on. Princess Luna smiled bemusedly as she finished her handiwork, and she silently made her way to Orpheus’ side. She looked down to the little colt and smiled, “What are thy thoughts, merry little Orpheus?”

“It’s really pretty,” the bat pony colt said in a whisper, almost as if he feared that by speaking any louder he would stop the eloquent display of nature’s beauty, "I wish I could look at it forever and ever!”