• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 1,477 Views, 10 Comments

The Skies Above Canterlot - Juvenal



A man and an alicorn discover something they have quite in common, but it may not be what they both want.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,477

A Special Occasion

The week went on, and life continued. He studied the stars as always, but took careful note to make sure he was accurate, but also to account for any “Royal irregularities” in the stars. He sent letters as always, but every two weeks Luna would come and speak with him. They’d talk about stars and telescopes, but occasionally dip into personal matters. Though she hadn’t meant it at the time, Luna had given him the keys to her mood. Any irregularities represented a bad day, and he would often end up discussing it when that data point would come up in the record analysis.

Naturally, this led to a good bit of confiding. A princess has many problems in her day, despite the banquets and dresses. Laws, taxes, political instability, foreign relations… all were very pressing on the Princess of the Night, and it had to come out somehow. But he didn’t mind. That hill was very quiet, and it was nice to talk about something besides how he only had two legs or his distantly related ape-parents. Furthermore, talking calmly with the second most powerful person in the entire country was an experience. By her guards, she was so very domineering. But by him, she was very calm and inquisitive. She was childlike, with energy and attention and a certain animation that he found most entertaining (and endearing). The nights were more beautiful there, though. The light of the city was far away, and the natural beauty of the cosmos was vivid in the eyes of the observer. It shone clearly, and only once or twice he swore it was brighter than natural. Those were most amazing occasions.

This day was a fine Sunday, with which he’d been ordered to come to the Palace with some documents. It was the beginning of Winter, and the next Lunar Perigee was heading up. Now to most ponies this meant nothing, but it was a day of particular interest to astronomers around Canterlot. For most (who had no telescopes), it was the day where the Moon was close enough to be seen easiest for the entire month. Unfortunately for the few astronomer ponies in Canterlot, the last four had been rained out due to winter farming demand, but this one was slated to be clear as crystal. He expected to be asked to give some talks on the moon, perhaps a viewing for the colts and fillies of the well-to-do; then proceed with standard talks with the Princess. So he prepared some simple diagrams and charts and attractive do-dads to entertain the little ones and the tall (curiously, he found the models more necessary for adults; adults felt more entitled to be entertained when presented to).

The familiar walk between the Palace and the Hill was most pleasant; he stared upward but curiously didn’t think too much about the stars. Usually, he’d look at stars and attempt to recall paths of stars and amuse himself with the mechanics of the universe, but wondered about what he’d say to the Princess this evening. He had so much to say, but so little would interest her. She was a very warm person (talking just a bit too fast when she got going), once she got comfortable. He always worried he bored her, or sounded foolish to her, but she’d never complained about it. The journey ended and he moved his mind back to his work.

The talks went fine, though he occasionally stuttered and looked a bit distracted all day. The colts and fillies were very pleased to look at photos and models, and were delighted to play with the little tripod telescope he’d set up. The adults, however, seemed as boring as always. Bah, he thought, they’re hopeless anyway.

He proceeded to the Princess’ study, but was stopped.

“Her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia has summoned you. Come with me.” A proud stallion-guard said sternly, as the royal guard always looked. He followed as requested and arrived to the Throne room, which had been cleared of dignitaries. The banners were flown down far, and the windows were stained glass works of art, depicting brave ponies before them. The path to the throne was carpeted red, and the rest of the room was made of some combination of white marble and gold. It screamed of power, even if it seemed a bit too decadent. Her Royal Highness Princess Celestia sat on her throne, gazing on her new subject with that cunning smile she always donned.

He bowed deeply, and called: “What do you need from me, Your Highness?”

Her smile grew just a bit as he unbowed, and she called “Nothing in particular, I just thought I might speak with one of my subjects that are long-since missed.” It was true, since Luna had begun visiting him instead of vice-versa, he had come to Canterlot only a handful of times for supplies and to the Palace not once.

“Your work with Luna has been quite useful. Her work has been most accurate, and she’s been very pleased with it as well. Your service is invaluable, and that portal was most certainly in our favor. “Her gaze penetrated him.

“Y-yes, Your Highness. It’s been a pleasure.” He stammered out.

“The nature of your work is appreciated, but I do have something else to thank you for.” She said. “Guards, this is not for your ears. Guard the entrances, from the outside please.”

The Royal Guard quickly but professionally exited the building. The door closed with a solid thud, and the size of the room quickly occurred to him. Then the importance of a private, royal audience came. A most serious matter, he feared.

“Your hilltop is very quiet, isn’t it?” She asked.

“Pardon, Your Majesty?”

“Not many visitors come to you, do they?” Elaborated the Princess.

“No, few at all come. Luna is my only visitor.”

“Does that hill feel lonely to you?”

“Yes, I suppose. It’s not too bad, nothing to worry about.”

“You are lonely because no-one is there, no one to talk to. But there’s another sort of loneliness that persists when people are still with you. A loneliness of spirit that happens when no-one will speak to you. Do you understand?”

He puzzled with it for a moment, but didn’t think of anything. The pause made it quite clear, so she moved onwards.

“Luna tells me that you are an astute man. You can see things in the sky, but also in people. I must thank you; Luna simply cannot…” she paused, searching for words.”…find the right people to speak to. A princess’ work is most difficult, and requires an absolute control over motions, words, and feelings. They tend to bottle up.”

Apparently the Sisters speak to each other, no one else knew. He thought, recalling the privacy of the observatory, and the guards who spent so many hours sitting outside his door. I really should install chairs or something for them. He caught on to his whimsical thoughts, and dashed them so he could focus.

“She is most … comforted by you. She truly is underappreciated for her part in the celestial cycle, and you’re the only source of appreciation she gets. You do her a grand service I don’t think you fully understand.”

She was right, of course. He did not understand what she meant by “grand service”, but he figured this was just a formal thank you anyways.

“It is my pleasure to serve her, and you.” He bowed deeply. “Truly.”

She was pleased. “So you would serve her most fully, if it came to that?”

His head moved back a bit, surprised. “Yes, of course. Anything for Princess Luna.”

“Very good, she chose well. You may go about your business, Astronomer.”

He proceeded out the room, and the guards returned to the throne room. He walked through the halls, with a single escort once he proceeded into the inner halls. They led him through the many spiraling halls and into the private quarter of the Palace. It felt different from the main chambers; those rooms were all very tall, with vaulted ceilings and fancy paintings and elaborate decoration. These halls were still quite elegant, but felt much more like a home. He looked and he saw: the halls shorter, the rooms smaller, and the construction more soft and inviting. It was a shelter from the political trials of the rulers of a powerful nation. And it was fit for a princess, but more importantly it was comfortable to anyone who walked in it.

He proceeded down some stairs that lead along the craggy cliff face of Canterlot, which were glass on every surface but the floor. That pathway continued downwards to two large chambers, which were usually obscured by the height of the palace before it. The escort led him to the eastern-most room. Once they’d arrived at the door to the room, the door stood closed with a fine lock carefully opened. The escort opened the door to the chamber, and he looked into the long and wide room. The walls facing the cliff were very simple stone, but the walls to the east, west, and north were a grand glass window, which was curved to give a clear view of the sky. In the center of the room, there stood a glowing white orb in a stand, which was in turn on a golden pedestal that had been polished and embellished to perfection. Looking at him next to the stand was Luna, looking with a very loving smile and a gentle gaze. The escort exited the room and he slowly walked toward Luna, taking some time on account of the scale of the room. He bowed, but she stopped him and spoke.

“My friend, I’m glad you made it. I’ve quite a gift for you.” She looked skyward. “Everyone in Equestria knows that my sister and I move the stars, sun, and moon.” She smiled most brightly. “The sun is setting, and it is my turn to raise the moon. I’ve taken you to the Rising Room, our most private chamber. It is here that I do my daily duty, where I raise the moon in the evening. My sister is in the other room, the Setting Room, setting the Sun. I want you show you how I do it.” She smiled as wide as her body would let her, her cheeks poking her face to a perky, beautiful look.

He was excited. Seeing the moon, the sun set? It was fantastic! It was the mystery of the world, which he’d always wanted to understand. How this beautiful creature before him took the stars themselves and brought them to order, to a beautiful cosmic dance that stepped closely and cleanly every night. It was truly amazing, and his only thought was a bright feeling of beaming happiness. He, too, smiled brightly.

“You’ll be the first to see it, my sister and I work. We always close these doors and bar viewing. There are even magic wards obscuring sight into these rooms from the cliff. You’re my special guest!” She giggled, excited.

He stood back, and she took her position. “Here I go, I’ve never had to work for an audience before~!” She said, melodiously.

She stood up, postured neutrally. With a great glow, her horn began its magic, projected at the orb. She braced herself, lowering her body in preparation for a great jump. When she jumped, her body became encapsulated by a great white glow. The orb, too glowed, and in the glass behind her a great white Alicorn-shape appeared below the moon. She lept up, wings beating at full force and the horn emitting so many magic sparks. She struggled, holding the projected weight of the moon with her form. The white shape on the wall strained, corresponding to the great struggle of its caster. But over the course of the next few minutes, Luna struggled and pushed until her great shining Moon rose up into the sky, most properly. She relented, and slowly floated down on a cloud of magic energy. The white form gracefully kept moving, keeping her momentum from earlier. She rested, and sat.

He was awestruck. The magic of ponies didn’t hold much interest to him, but what he had just seen was truly marvelous. Such blazing lights, such a coat about her, the great form on the window, and the moon itself moving…it was fantastic beyond his comprehension. He stood, eyes wide open and mouth open and in most pleasant shock. When his brain came back to him, he walked over to Luna and, overwhelmed, grabbed her softly by her front shoulders.

“That was amazing, so beautiful…The most beautiful thing I think I’ve ever seen.” He breathed out.

“Thank you, dear”. She said. He didn’t really notice the word choice. “I’m glad I could share this with you…I’ve never shared it with anyone. Neither has Celestia. It’s…for us. Just us.” She smiled, and shivered with excitement. “It’s my gift, to you, for being so kind to me. So dear to me.” She got closer to him.

He was pleased, and got a bit closer. They hugged lovingly; he’d have shared a hug with anyone since he got there. It was pleasing to him, she was warm and soft. The separated and she spoke:

“You’ve cared for me when no-pony else really did. They don’t get me, not the way you do. You see what I do and think it’s beautiful; everyone else gets scared by it. You’re the only one who gets me, and you’re so beautiful in your own way. I have to wait so long between your visits, time passes so slowly. I don’t want you to leave. Not again. I want you, here, with me.”

That, he understood clearly. And panic set it. It hit him like a sack of bricks, and he stood slack jawed and eyes wide open, white and pupils constricted. She is into me. He is INTO me. She’s amazing, but like that? She’s a horse, for goodness’ sake! A goddess and a four-legged being! She’s nothing like me, and what would it be like to live with her!? I wake up in bed, look to my left and see a pony? And what of the Royal life? I can’t live for ponies! I can hardly see them without being harassed! I can’t do this, but… His mind shut off for just a second. But then he knew: had to let her down gently.

“Princess, um, I, um, I, um…” He began…

She saw the doubt in his mind. Her irises constricted, tighter than his. She knew that it was a no, that he wouldn’t be with her, that her love wouldn’t be returned. And it got to her. Her eyes began to water, her smiled vanished and was replaced with a defeated, open-mouthed, and reversed into a great sorrow. She wailed a great and unintelligible sound.

“WHY!?” She squeaked out, her throat strained from the emotion

He stood still, unable to answer. His heart ached, his mouth was dry, his eyes too were a bit wet, and could not act at all. His legs strained under what felt like a sudden great weight.

“I SAID WHY!” She screamed. He still couldn’t say a thing. “I ORDER YOU, TELL ME WHY! I’M YOUR RULER, YOUR PRINCESS, ... your friend..." She looked down, and sniffed. Her anger regrouped and a split second later, she bellowed: "ANSWER ME!”

He dropped to his knees, and braced himself with his hands. It was shameful; he hurt her, couldn’t say a thing, and couldn’t handle it. He merely sat there, useless.

With a great cry, she dashed to the window, and broke through. The glass shattered starting right in the heart of the white pony figure, and it dissipated. Luna did a 180, flying up and over the building and headed due south. All of Canterlot heard the noise from the great horse, and came outside to find the problem. Few saw, but those that did saw a great blue figure speeding through the sky, making a great din and leaving a trail of tears. The moon stilled in the sky, stalled without a celestial hand guiding it.