• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 5,250 Views, 454 Comments

A Marine and His Ponies - USMC517



A U.S. Marine is somehow sent to Equestria after a special operation involving a high value target goes wrong. He finds himself alone, wondering just how he will get home, if he can get home.

  • ...
33
 454
 5,250

Answers.

They all found their respective seats, and after a long inhale from Celestia, she began to tell James what he wanted to know. "James, there is no easy way to say this to you or anypony; I will understand if after this, you find my presence a bother." She said as she held his gaze.

"I've been through a lot in my time, I'm sure whatever it is, I can handle it." James assured her.

"Well then, shall we begin?"

"If you don't mind." He asked getting agitated.

"James, the reason you are here is because we need you, your knowledge, and your abilities. Equestria needs you for it's survival, and quite possibly the survival of the entire world." She laid out the situation for James letting it sink in to everyone in the room. After a moment of silence, Twilight spoke up.

"Princess, what do you mean that the survival of the entire world rests on you bringing in a human from a different world, what is the problem? Is Discord coming back? Is king Sombra going to return!?" She asked as she got up and began to pace nervously.

"No my student, it is much worse; and believe me, king Sombra has no way of returning, he has been trapped for all eternity in his prison."

"What is it then Celestia?" James asked as he turned all of his attention to her.

"Chrysalis, she is returning with a force that even the Elements of Harmony cannot stop." She said to them with the utmost seriousness.

"Enlighten me on this enemy of yours princess, and could you excuse me for a moment to grab something to write this down with?" James asked.

"Very well." She told him. He got up and rummaged through his ruck sack for a few moments, then returned to where he and Rainbow were sitting.

"Alright princess, fill in the blanks for me." He said as he sat back down.

"One year ago, the queen of the Changelings, Chrysalis, attacked us from within. Changelings take the form of living things such as another pony, and feed off of the love you have for them. Twilight's brother, prince Shining Armor, was soon to be wedded to princess Cadence; however, she was abducted by Chrysalis and sent to the dungeons located underneath Canterlot Palace, then transformed into her. Shining Armor as well as everypony else was unaware of this, she slipped through our defenses and made it appear as if though she was Cadence. As Shining Armor's love for Cadence grew, Chrysalis' powers began to strengthen, and eventually lead to her army of Changelings breaking thorough our defensive barriers and attacking us. However the Elements of Harmony cast her out of Canterlot." Celestia explained to James, all the while he was jotting down notes.

"A Trojan horse, no pun intended, classic tactic, what was their motive for this?" He asked trying to deduce the reason behind their thinking.

"We still are unsure of her true intentions, but we believed that she wished to take over Equestria in the long run, starting with Canterlot as their first place due to the amount of love we have for one another, as she stated." She answered.

"So she was trying to increase the power of her forces, then take the surrounding areas?"

"Yes."

"Do you know why she wanted to take over Equestria?"

"Unfortunately we cannot say."

"Okay, so what else should I know about her physically and mentally, what makes her clock tick?" He asked as he stood up to stretch a little. Dash couldn't help but to look at him as he did so.

"She is an alicorn like myself and my sister, but does not appear in the same way. Her body is black, and has transparent green wings similar to that of a bug, her horn is twisted and mangled, and has many holes throughout her body, mostly in her legs. She wants nothing more than to harm others, however she is not the most intelligent, but she is very loyal to her subjects." She explained, James tried to hurriedly sketch Celestia with holes and bug wings on his paper so he could identify her, then wrote below it her personality.

"Okay, so why do you need me here if she was defeated once before?"

"She has gathered an even larger army of Changelings... as well as others to support her cause."

"What do ya mean by others princess?" Applejack of all the ponies asked.

"About a four months ago, the land of the griffins went under siege by the Changelings. They attempted the same thing as they had done in Canterlot, but this time they managed to capture the area and imprisoned the griffons to gain strength off of them. Now that they have been stripped of any sort of feeling from being in this state, they have decided to allie themselves with the Changelings. This is just the first part of their plan, their next objective is to once again try and take Canterlot as they had before."

"Celestia, how do you know this information, and why haven't you sent a task force in to bring her down, especially if you know her location?" He asked bewildered by her actions.

"After her attack on Canterlot, we sent in a spy, he was actually a prisoner before hand; but in exchange for him keeping us up to date on Chrysalis' whereabouts, he was allowed to live a free life disguised as a changeling. We lost contact with him just a few days after the griffon's land went under attack, he had filled us in on what he could get close to, but we believe that he had been discovered. The reason we need you is because we have no one of ability to either lead a strike against them, or to even train our forces to carry out the action."

"What about Twilight's brother? He's a soldier like myself, why not have him do it?" James asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"As much as it pains me to say it, especially in front of Twilight, he is not, nor is anypony else nearly qualified to accomplish such a task. We have never had a problem such as this happen, our lands have always remained peaceful to where any conflicts could be met with negotiations." She stated.

"So you just decided to bring in someone of expertise such as myself. Okay well that does make sense, but out of everyone on my planet, you chose me. Why not a Navy SEAL, or a Delta operative? I mean Delta boys are meant specifically for counter-terrorism, exactly what you would want for this job!" James exclaimed as he threw up his hands in 'why not do that?' gesture.

"Well James, we have looked at countless individuals. All different ones of all of the countries in your world, we had the opportunity to observe approximately one hundred and fifty different soldiers from all walks of life, and you were one of them that was included." Celestia stated simply with a shrug, unsure of what else she could say.

"So then why did you not choose one of them?" He asked starting to get angry because she would not give him a straight answer.

"Because you were a better candidate for the job." She said still trying to weasel around the true reason.

"Okay that doesn't quite explain it, I was on an operation in Afghanistan shooting at Jihadis, then the next thing I know I'm here shooting at a lizard chicken. So please tell me why I am here." He asked becoming rather agitated by her dodging the question.

"Like I said, we needed you and we brought you here." She sated still trying to dodge his question.

"Bullshit! I know that there are better men out there to do such a job other than me! Quit with the goddamn games and tell me why you chose me and not someone else!" He shouted at her.

"Because you were the first one to die!" She shouted back. The room fell under an uneasy silence while James sat and let the words that Celestia had told him, sink in. After several minutes of them all staring at James in the bitter silence, he finally spoke.

"So you're telling me that I am dead, deceased, six feet in the ground with a bullet in my fucking skull? Excuse my language that I have and am about to use, but what in the fuck kind of bullshit answer is that!?" He raised his voice again.

"Captain James, 'tis true. You are quite physically deceased, I can assure you of this fact for I am the one whom had to bring you to our world, to help us defeat thine enemy." Luna said taking over for her sister. James got up and walked off into the kitchen, the only sound being made came from his boots clacking on the floor. None of them dared to see if he was faring okay, not even Rainbow Dash. He leaned over onto the counter top and rubbed his hands through his hair as he tried to make sense of everything; then out of pure anger he clenched his hair, making his knuckles turn white. He then sent a quick punch into one of the cabinets, making a large hole in it, the sudden sound made all of the ponies jump, even the princesses. He came back in a few minutes later with a small bandage over two of his fingers, some blood had slightly seeped through the dressing on his middle one. He sat down and closed his eyes trying to formulate a question.

"If I am dead, then how am I here? I can feel you, you can feel me, I can feel me!" He asked a few moments later as he touched his arm where he had been injured just a few days prior, just to make sure that he could indeed feel himself.

"Captain, the soul inside of you lived on. That is how you were brought here, your physical body was left behind in Afghanistan as you call it." She explained, then let it settle in to him.

"When my Marines and I went under fire just over a week ago, the last thing I heard was mortar fire. Then everything went black, then I woke up in the Everfree forest. So why didn't they come with me, we all died didn't we?" .

"Yes James, but they were not the desired ones, it was you; and only one being every five thousand years may be brought through the spiritual world to live again, without disrupting the natural flow of all things throughout every world and universe."

"So your telling me that every living thing has a soul... next your going to tell me that heaven and hell exist as well!?"

"Very much so captain James! They exist in every realm, as dictated by the actions in your life, they decide where you go in the after life. In our world when our souls leave, we either go to the Botanical Pastures, heaven basically, or an evil place known as Tartarus." She described their heaven and hell.

"How do you know this? Do you talk with God or something, do you guys have a little get together over noon brunch!?"

"No, we have never truly spoken, but it is known very well and documented in several cases, however those individuals that did so, had to be sent to Tartarus. They however still did such a task to prove it's existence, even though it caused them an eternity of pain and suffering."

"So instead of being here, I could have possibly been with my brother!?" He yelled at her.

"Possibly James, however there is an upside to this, when you do pass on officially, you will be with your species."

"So I can still die?"

"You are no different here now than you were on earth."

"Okay that clears one thing up. Still though, of the billions of people on earth, why me?"

"When we first heard of the attack on the griffins, we knew right away that we had to do something to stop the Changelings. We knew that it could not be done by forces of our planet, even though we have extraordinary powers compared to humans."

"You're still beating around the bush Luna, get to the damn point!" He said to her with a scornful look. The ponies in the room had all been shocked by the way he spoke to the princesses.

"When news of the siege reached us, we immediately began to look at your world for warriors because we knew that your species has had many conflicts, but still managed to stay peaceful enough to keep surviving and thriving. We looked at members of all different militaries in your world. We had many candidates that were unaware that they had been picked for such a task. However, the only way for them to come here was by their demise, no other way. While I was monitoring for any signs of this event, I felt something happening that was different from everything else."

"That was me coming through space for a lack of a better term, and ending up here?"

"Essentially, yes." Luna stated plainly.

"So if at any other time someone else was killed before me, then I would be somewhere else?"

"Indeed."

"So what made me right for the choice of a new world protector?"

"You are a being of great strength and stature, a natural born leader, you will not falter under any circumstances for I have seen such an act myself; and you have a fire of dedication that burns inside of you that would bring any other being to their knees."

"Thank you for the compliments, but that doesn't quite sell it for me. Truly, what made me such a perfect candidate for a job I wasn't looking for?"

"James... it is because you have the ability to take a life and not think twice about it, you can kill one and then kill another. You are not afraid to carry our such an act, and simply keep on moving until your objective is complete. W-" She was cut off by James.

"With all due respect, fuck you Luna, and fuck you Celestia. You have no idea what I have gone through in my life time. You think that I am just a mindless killing machine!? I'm not, every person that I have to kill, I feel another bullet rip through my chest, every man I have to put down I feel that same round puncture my heart. The only reason you brought me here was because I can teach your little guards to do their damn job!" He shouted as he stood up, Twilight's ears perked up she heard him say 'guard'.

"James this is not the only reason, we needed someone who was seasoned, mature, and a critical thinker that will accomplish their task the first time with no mistakes. Captain James Crossland, of the United States Marine Corps, this is why we need you. We need you to lead our forces into battle against the Changelings and defeat her once and for all." Luna said to him as she too stood up as straight as she could.

"You know what, goodbye. I'm tired of your crap. You come in here and try to become my friend which I was totally open to, then turn around and insult me. Sure it may be true that I can disengage myself from the rest of the world to do my job correctly, but that's only on the battlefield. When the whole thing is over, I still have the images of those people burned into my mind! I can kill, you bet your ass I can and I am damn good at it, but it does not stay on the field. It stays right here in my brain, permanently etched into it. Just during my time as a CSO, I have ended the lives of over sixty human beings, and each and every one of them is still in my mind when I am awake and when I am asleep." James spat at the two princesses. everypony in the room was silent with their mouths agape. No one had ever spoken to the princesses in such a way before, and some did not even know of James' life. He didn't wait for any sort of a response and simply went to his ruck sack, packed all of his gear up and headed for the front door.

"James wait!" Rainbow Dash shouted to him right before he left.

"Not now miss Dash! Just leave me be." He told her while putting up his hand and motioned for her to stop.

"But... where are you gonna' go?" She asked hurt by his words, a slight tear started to build up in her eye. He looked at her with an unchanging expression of anger. Then simply turned and walked out the door, knowing that the damage had been done and nothing could change it. He went through the doorway and shut it with a loud bang. He went along the side of the house and disappeared into the dense foliage of the Everfree forest, not wanting to look back. Even after he left, Dash had stayed staring at the door, tears had started dripping down her face, making a small wet spot on the floor. None of them had expected the reaction that they got. Rarity got up to comfort her.

"Darling it's alright, we're here for you." Rarity said as she hugged Rainbow. She returned the hug and let her tears drip down onto Rarity's coat. The two princesses had moved into the kitchen to talk about what had taken place, Celestia noticed the hole in the cabinet door.

"My sister, do you believe we have made the right choice?" Luna asked.

"Yes I do. He may have reacted differently than we had expected; but I can see that within him, he has a heart of caring, love, and compassion. We must allow him time to recuperate, believe me, he is the one we need." Celestia assured her.

"Very well sister, but we no longer can bring a human through to our world. If he is to fail us, then we have no chance of stopping Chrysalis."

"Trust me sister, he will pull through." She assured Luna. They walked back into the living room to see how the rest were doing. Fluttershy, Twilight, and Pinkie were trying to comfort Rainbow Dash who was sitting down where James had just been moments before. Rarity and Applejack were talking to each other about what the Princesses had told them.

"My little ponies, I know this was not how any of you expected today to go and neither did we. Rainbow Dash I am very sorry that he spoke to you in such a tone, are you going to be alright?" Celestia too tried to comfort her.

"Y- yes princess, I'll be alright. I'm not crying by the way, it's just that when he closed the door something came off of it and hit me in the eye." She blatantly lied to the princess, just to try and show that she wasn't affected by what had happened.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes princess, I'll be fine. I just can't believe that he said those things to you! He never seemed like somepony who would do that, well except for when ponies treat other ponies really badly."

"How so?" Celestia asked intrigued.

"The other night, Vinyl Scratch had a concert and the two of us went to it. My two old bullies from my flight school days were there as well, and were picking on some ponies... then me. He saw them and came over and started yelling at them to stop being mean to everypony, he even hit one of them! When it was all done, they ran away." She told the princess, her tears had stopped coming out.

"So he stood up for everypony there, even though he did not know any of them?"

"Yes princess, but now he did this, and really I just don't know what to think of him anymore." She said looking at the ground.

"Do not think much of what has transpired today, all of you. The only thing that you must keep in mind is the problem we have at hoof with the Changelings; as for James, do not worry about him, especially you Rainbow Dash. He will be okay. Before James left, we had planned on telling all of you that there was time before Chrysalis plans to attack us. More of this will be explained at the Grand Galloping Gala this coming weekend. All of you including James have tickets to it, I have left them at Twilight's dwelling as well as a case that is meant only for James, you are not under any circumstances to look in the case Twilight. Do you understand?" She told them.

"Yes princess, and when James returns?" Twilight asked.

"Treat him no differently than before, as perfect as we try to be, sometimes it is difficult to do such a thing. We told him many things today that probably nopony on his planet ever thought of, or could have believed. The way that he took it was very much how we expected, but not to the degree we had hoped. Give him time to settle back down, once he accepts what has happened, he will be okay."

"Very well princess, I'm still just shocked that Chrysalis is coming back and with the help of the griffins."

"Like I said before my student, do not worry much about it for now, there will be time later. Enjoy the rest of the week, she is not ready to attack yet, therefore we have time to prepare and decide the best way to handle the situation." She told her.

"Alright princess."

"Are you all going to be okay?" She asked them. They nodded their heads, including Rainbow Dash. "We will be heading back to the castle in a few moments, if any of you need us, do not hesitate to send a letter." She continued, once again they all nodded. The two princesses stepped outside and disappeared with a bright white flash. Several minutes later, a chariot was seen flying towards Canterlot.

"Poor guy, I sorta' feel bad for em', even though he... killed somepony." Applejack said.

"I was shocked as well when the princess announced it. I don't think he has the intention of hurting any of us though." Rarity agreed.

"He's a good guy! Just... I don't know." Dash said in James' defense.

"You don't think he'll hurt us, do you?" Pinkie asked even though the question had already been answered.

"No darling. I think if he did, he would have by now. Besides, if the princesses brought him here, he must be good otherwise they wouldn't have done it, right?" Rarity said back.

"Yeah I guess, I just didn't think anypony could do that is all. I mean, we turned Discord to stone, but we didn't hurt him like that!" Pinkie exclaimed to them.

"Very true Pinkie, but his world is different all together, they have had many conflicts since they first existed." Twilight said stepping in.

"Since I've gotten to know him, he has told me many of the things that he has gone through. Not once did he harm somepony unless they tried to first." Fluttershy told them as she too stepped in.

"I honestly believe he can be trusted." Twilight agreed the yellow pegasus.

"Ah agree, if he hasn't done anything yet, I don't think he will or even want's to." Applejack also agreed. They all nodded their heads and went silent for a while. Dash left them after few moments and began to walk around the house because she had gotten bored. She traveled upstairs to see what the rest of the house looked like. She made it to the top of the stairs and looked around, all of the doors were open, but one of them looked like the door was broken where it met the frame, she approached it and looked closer. It had been kicked off the hinges.

"Wow, he must be really angry or something because there shouldn't any reason to kick a door open if all of them are unlocked." She though as she entered the room. She looked around more and then at the door again, she noticed that the other side of the knob was partially broken so she tried to turn it. However it didn't want to turn, even the slightest. "What if it just wouldn't open because of this?" She wondered as she tried harder to turn it. She gave up and walked to the window that looked out at Ponyville. "Where did you go James?" She thought out loud.

Author's Note:

I had a hell of a time with this chapter as some of you may have seen in my blog post. I tried my best to explain the shit so here you go. I will try and get the next chapter will be coming out tomorrow sometime because I'll probably be staying up all night working on it (no school tomorrow!) So stay tuned for an update soon.