• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 495 Views, 2 Comments

Desolate, no? - Koregazz



Princess Luna has caused the unthinkable, the unfathomable. In the sheer quake of this, she plans on righting the wrong.

  • ...
 2
 495

Chapter 2: A Throne Without A King

Thunkthunkthunkthunk

A woodpecker rapidly beat its sharp beak against the hull of a thick tree. Fragments of bark fell with the percussion of taps; littering the ground. The red bird – after successfully digging a hold into the tree, floated down where a heap of strand twigs lay. Taking a few at a time, he filled the hold, patching up a nest. His mate and future offspring were off five trees down, waiting to proceed with the movement.

After nearly an hour prepping the new shelter, the woodpecker flew to his family. His mate was a fine female to find; she was pink, with a twinge of white parting at the seams of her feathers. She had a thin, long beak – fit for feeding her babies when they hatched. To find one such as her was one in a thousand of the other magnificent opportunities. But no, he chose her; she was the first to show interest.

Picking up one of the two eggs with care, he and the female flew to their new home. Thinking about the egg he was carrying, he realized his role as a father was approaching. No longer was he the spry two year old he once was; going on five, he had grown old, fast. The wings which once could outrun a timberwolf on low-ground, now peddled him at the pace of a rabbit. There he had also as of a few weeks ago, sprouted a couple of grey and white hairs. His once thick coat of lush red became a dull maroon all too soon.

Soon the two reached the hollow tree, placing the eggs softly onto the makeshift nest. Their mother then gently sat atop them, warming them in the chill morning. A slight cooing told the male he needed to fetch some grub for his hungry mate. She had been learning to thoroughly chew the worms and berries, preparing for when motherhood called. His mat was a mere year younger; which shocked him, with how quickly she grew into the role.

Heeding the calls, he jumped out, searching for the small morsels. Locating a fresh patch of soft dirt, he discovered a brush filled with lively berries. Taking care to check for any predators, he ripped a couple off, depositing them into his mouth, and took flight again. With only a short ways to go, the male woodpecker looked across the surrounding forest. It was tiny, ending short of a clearing and town where people lived.

Recently both of them were struck with an earth-shattering quake, which rattled their previous home to toppling. That had been the reason for the move, for safety purposes. As the male and father, it was his job to protect his family at all costs; he couldn’t afford less than that.

With his home in view, he flapped his aged wings hard, speeding to get his mate fed.

SWOOSH

An eagle had flown by close, spotting the lone woodpecker. In a rash desire for food, it struck the small bird with its sharp talons, piercing the throat, and cutting off air. The prey died instantaneously, its eyes cocked in fright. As the eagle took a closer look, the bird had fresh berries, still uneaten. Happy with the catch, it flew off to its own nest.

The female woodpecker waited. She kept a watchful gaze on the entrance, hoping for her mate to return with the breakfast that had fast-approached lunch. But he wouldn’t return. Soon, she would crack open one of the eggs for sustenance, and leave with the remaining in search of a new mate. The nest lay barren for a while, empty of the family that was to occupy it.





The warm breeze of afternoon swirled around Luna. She sat on a white boulder, resting from the long trek from Canterlot. The city’s dancing lights was now far in the distance, twinkling like stars in the vast night. Sweat rained down her body, as the sun beat down. Retrieving a canteen from her bag, she took long, slow sips of the plentiful water.

Exhaustion had already taken its toll, forcing her to sulk on the hot stone slab. Finishing her drink, Luna replaced the canteen with a map. She glared at the rough parchment full of wrinkled roads, mountain passes, forests, towns, safe trails, and other sketchy patterns. Spitefully, she whacked the map. “Stupid map,” she mumbled, trying to locate where she stood. Trailing a slow finger, she spotted a curving road that split into two more. Just great she thought.

She was in the middle of the split; scoping out her situation, which had two options. The map – although detailed – also was old; new roads were unmarked on hers. She stared into the distance, searching for any sign to take her in the right path, with nothing but dirt trails winding away. Up in the sky, birds circled a tight ring around her. They continued to do so, watching her every move, as messengers of death.

Still the time slipped away, with Luna growing more worried on her next action. A dire situation, with no way out by the looks of it. Yet this is exactly what she signed up for. Expecting obstructions was needed...if only not so soon.

Not long before she stopped, her skirt caught on a branch and tore. From then until now jeans sufficed, even if the blazing sun cooked her legs like a well-broiled egg. Swinging each leg, she amused herself, with no leads to go off of, she was trapped without being locked up. In the air, the circling birds chirped, keeping her mild company. Wait a second she thought, quickly staring at the winged beasts as they flapped their black wings. Going with it, she grabbed a few crumbs of bread, throwing them outwards. On instinct, the hungry creatures nose-dived towards the scraps of delicious food.

They grabbed the tiny morsels, raising their heads high to choke the bread scraps. Six or seven birds in total flew down, but Luna needed only one. Eyeing the black birds – which on closer inspection had blood red eyes – she found a nice, plump one. Carefully she edged to the targeted bird, pouring light amounts of blue magic into her palms, waiting for the right moment. The magical threads seeped into her skin, flowing over hands, dripping onto ground. The bird turned its head towards her direction, unsure of what to do of the large female stalking closer. Her moment to seized, Luna wrapped a small barrier around the helpless crow, slowly suctioning off exists so it couldn’t escape. Inside, the black bird maniacally buzzed around, jumping in a futile attempt to take off. Luna, triumphant in catching her prey, walked up to the fluttering bird, calmly grasping it in her hands. She felt it brush around, nipping at her for freedom. Gently, she stroked its head, which seemed to calm it, as it stopped trying to free itself.

Luna felt it safe enough, unclasped her hands, letting the crow see daylight once more. The bird had curled into a ball, which made Luna laugh at how adorable it was acting. She patted it, smoothly gliding her fingers over the silky black feathers. “You’re a cute little thing aren’t you?” It seemingly responded, by unfurling itself. “Now then, I need your help small friend, if you’re willing”. The crow flapped its wings gently, still standing on her palm. “Can you direct me to the nearest village? I’m a little lost at the moment”. Her charm worked, as the bird lifted into the air, flying to the left road. Luna grabbed her bag and supplies, following the trail the crow took.

Luna trudged up the road, scaling a small hill. She had followed the crow, until it changed trajectory into the woods, where its flock may be. By this time, the sun was already sinking below the orange-rimmed sky; fleeting rings of heat layering the top of the mountains in a halo of distorted gas. With her path darkened, obscuring her vision, the road trail became more difficult to pass. Soft crunches followed every footstep, gravel and dirt mixing into a hard composite, as Luna found each new ground steeper. She found herself clutching her chest, her lungs aching for a stop, but she couldn’t. Just over the rise, lanterns flickered, revealing a post carved with a dull knife: Hoofdale Town.

Stalking up slowly, Luna watched for any movement within. Oddly, not a single soul appeared outside. Curtains from nearby houses were drawn closed, showing no signs of life inside. The sun hadn’t completely lowered yet, so to see no one out wasn’t a common occurrence. Hoofdale was a small town, with only a dozen or more buildings – all of them seemingly empty. For all she knew, it could have been abandoned without notice.

Luna moved deeper into the ghost town. Passed the empty houses, some were less intact – charred down to the floor. She came up to a large, rotund one with a hoisted flag of the town’s colors. A massive break – splitting the oval mayoral building – tore up to the center. It wasn’t patched up yet, so she took a looked inside. Within she saw it was equally as demolished: the tear also carving a linear path through to the mayor’s office. Scattered documents, a hanging – lazily swinging. She walked through the tear, searching or for any sing of life. “Hang on, this is a town hall. There might be maps here!” She realized, hurriedly searching the littered floor and desk drawers. Yes! In the secretary’s topmost drawer, were nearly half a dozen maps of not only the town blueprints, but also the local area.

She pulled out and unrolled a random scroll. The map was luckily recent, but only went out so far: a town or two away, max. If I’m just as lucky, they’ll be deserted too.

A somber thought, she rolled the map back up, placing it next to the one she brought. Her path made, she cautiously stumbled over the wreckage. CRASH! Luna knocked against a lantern, which shattered. “Oh crap!” She yelled as the lantern’s oil ignited. It was still burning when she toppled it; the flaming puddle began to snake around the floor. Slithering across, it found a large heap of papers and more oil. There was fresh oil all around she saw; making quick strides, she tried to outrun the growing fire.

Tripping over the carpet, she tumbled face down in front of jolting flames. Wood creaking from the fresh heat; it wouldn’t be long before the building fell in on itself. As that image passed, the limp roof above snapped off; crashing around Luna in a cacophony of splintering wood. Piles of loose items fell with, from chairs in pieces, to more lanterns.

“Crap! Crap! Crap!” Luna had no way out, and the flames began to smog up the air; she breathed in the thick smoke, her head losing weight, and her eyesight blurring. Gripping her throat, she made a mad rush over the fallen debris to the door. The handle jittered, opening after some fierce throttles, letting her dive to the ground. Fresh air flowed into her, clearing some of her blurry vision. The building collapsed, sending debris and dirt outwards.

Safe, she looked to the now demolished town hall. A floating flag dropped atop what was before the pinnacle; torn and unreadable due to the flames eating it. The red-hot flames ceased, extinguished from the cave-in.

A subtle wheezing told her she wasn’t alone. Standing behind her – coughing up a lung – was an old, poorly dressed man. His buttoned suit was burnt, including some of his skin, shining charcoal black on his fingertips and cheeks. Apart from the battered bruising and terrible cough, he was healthy in appearance.

Catching his breath, he merely stared at what was the town hall. The old man wiped some sweat from his forehead; staring and mourning the dusty remains. “She was bound to go sooner or later,” he spoke up. “I’m glad those restoration plans were denied.” At that, he let out soft wheeze, trying to laugh. His calm attitude toward the building was unnerving; surely he should be more agitated. “Now then, if I’m not mistaken,” he said poking a shaking finger to her moon symbol. “You would be Princess Luna.”

Not used to being casually addressed, she simply nodded, which was enough for the old timer as he grinned. “Terribly sorry, but do I know you?”

“No, I don’t believe you would, seein’s how you just got here. I’m Regal, mayor of this town, or what’s left of it at least.”

“Oh! So that was your town hall?” Luna asked. Mayor Regal nodded. Scanning the town, “If you wouldn’t mind me asking, what happened?”

He walked to a splintered plank, turning it to dust by mere touch. “A massive earthquake happened not too long ago. Shook us real good. Many fires erupted, so most of our homes are either gone or not fit to live in. We we’re able to quell them after the first night. Still...the damage is done. All we have left is what you see. Thank Celestia our loved ones are okay.” Throwing a few burnt possessions into a pile, he continued. “Where is the princess anyhow?”

Luna picked up a few discarded picture frames, dodging the mayor’s question. “She’s a little under the weather,” she concluded. It isn’t so much a lie, as a skewed truth.

Regal stared at her; his eyes trying to divulge if her quick answer was enough to trust. Still, the remorseful twinkle returned, deciding not to bother her further. “Well I hope she gets better soon. Can’t go helping others when you can’t help yourself.”

“Right.”

“Listen, I’m sure you have places to be, with what happened, but do you think you can stay for dinner? We’d love for some company.”

She placed a sympathetic hand on his shoulder, placing a small loaf of bread into his hand. “Sorry, but as you say, ‘I have places to be’.” The mayor held the offering under his arm, thanking her for the generosity. She passed by the once empty houses, only they now had clear residents, drawing the curtains back to watch her departure.

Mayor Regal watched the princess leave his broken town, going to who knows where. A door creaked open as a middle-aged man, with a long, mangled hair of deep brown approached. His face had been unshaven for days; an amateur stubble of hairs sprouting. “So where do you think she’s going off to mayor?” He asked, suspicious of her leave. The old man didn’t reply, his attention still on Princess Luna, until she became one with the darkness. Only after her figure vanished into the woods, did the moon color up the night sky. “Mayor?”

“Desolate, no?” Said the mayor, his brow creasing in thought.

Confused, the man with unkempt hygiene peered to the old man beside him. “Sir?”

“The princess, I mean. Her priorities are set, but she isn’t sure where to or why. It’s sad if you think about it. I think she’s hoping for the best...” He buttoned his coat up, leaving with the man shuffling behind.