• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 2,496 Views, 62 Comments

Rainbow Dash and the Nordic Pegasus - MrTyreste



When in the north, Rainbow Dash accidently awakens an ancient warrior from another land and helps him fit in and fulfill his destiny, but doesn't expect to develop feelings for him in the process.

  • ...
2
 62
 2,496

Fjord Runner versus Soarin

Part 5 - Fjord Runner versus Soarin

It had been several hours before the Romans finally retreated from the village, or were dispatched there. Bone Breaker had come through, his one hundred stallions destroying every non-Nordic Pegasus they caught outside the village walls. Of course they left the serfs and Unicorns alone, though sadly some were caught in the cross fire. Back at the longhall the warriors nursed their wounds in anticipation of another attack.

"Grace Wing, are you alright?" Fjord Runner spoke as his yellow sibling wrapped a bandage around a bloodied left wing.

"Don't fret, my brother, it is only a wing. I will recover and fly again." She said with determination. That's what Fjord admired most about his older sister, that no matter what happened she always rose to meet the challenge. "Ah, thy bed warmer returns." She chuckled as a rainbow blur came rushing through the doors and into Fjord's arms.

"My darling! We have routed them. They say you defended the hall almost single-hoofed." Spectrum Dancer sang with glee as she pinned him to the ground, kissing him repeatedly.

"They exagerate. The victory belongs to my sister as well." He laughed, picking himself up off the ground and out of reach of his fiance's muzzle.

"Were it not for your sister though, the village would be unscathed." A deep voice boomed from behind them. An enormous Pegasus, black in coat and with a white mane, he stood a good few feet above even the chief himself. He was the former chief of clan Duntrot, now to serve as general of the current chief Bryhoof's army. Bone Breaker, the father of Grace Wing and Fjord Runner. "Were you not entrusted with its protection, Miss 'Captain of the Guard?'" He looked down on his daughter with contempt.

"Well, I tried, but our numbers were too few inside the city walls." She said shakily, trying to look her obviously disappointed father in the eye.

"Too few." Bone Breaker laughed. "You'd let the enemy bed you and take the village on a whim." He looked down on her. "Always you cast a poor reflection on me." He said with sheer disappointment, a look of contempt and hate in his eyes.

"That's...that's not..." She cried.

"You give her no credit, yet she tries to do your will, father." Fjord Runner finally snapped. Bone Breaker stopped his verbal assault on his own daughter and beckoned his son to join him on the other side of the room. Reluctantly, he left the side of his fiance and crying sister to join his father.

"Fjord, do not defend her. I know Grace's uses and they are few." Bone Breaker began. "But we have more pressing matters to tend to, my son. It is rumored that our very way of life is under attack. The Romans have begun their invasion." Fjord Runner looked down in disbelief. He had heard stories of the Roman Pegasi assimilating into other cultures, or completely invading them. Their children would become slaves, alongside their elders. The mares would be used for physical pleasures for soldiers, some even raped until they bore children bearing the blood of the Empire. Until finally they submitted to the Empire, or were crushed by it.

"Towns have fallen to the South, mares and foals herded onto ships like cattle, we cannot let that happen in the Hold. We must turn the tide here. We must defend our way of life." He placed a hoof on his son's shoulder. "Let us bring the fight to them." He smiled.

"No..." Fjord pushed his father's hoof away. "My place is here, with my people and my beautiful lover, not to the South." He trotted back towards his fiance and Grace, leaving an angry stallion behind. Suddenly the doors to the longhall burst open, and a messenger darted through.

"My chief! A message from the Romans!" He knelt as he lifted the parchment up to the hoof of Bryhoof. Without hesitation he opened the seal and unfurled the document. After a few moments he began to read aloud.

"To all Pegasi who defy the Empire. Let it be known that on this day we offer you a truce. We of the Roman Empire do hereby offer you full rights and privilages amongst the ponies of our mighty lands in exchange for a share of thy land and its bounty. I do desire to speak with your chiefs and to strike a worthy deal between your leaders and my generals. I shall await your response until the end of this week. Failure to comply will result in the immediate invasion of your lands and the enslavement of your mares and foals. Be warned, savages, we stand nearly five-thousand strong on this soil alone. Choose your answer carefully. His eminence, Commander Hurricane." Brynhoof finished reading the document with a heavy heart, and set it down on the table.

"What shall we do?" A voice cried out. Panic and anger swept the hall as Pegasi began arguing and fighting over what decision should be made.

"Enough!" The chief bellowed, silencing the hall. He turned to his steward, a young unicorn mare. "Magenta, bring me my pen, and a good piece of parchment." The mare bowed and ran to the next room.

"I want to make some things clear with this Hurricane..."

======================

Equestria: Present Day

It was quite the culture shock to Fjord Runner as he took his first step onto the streets of Cloudsdale. He tried to adjust to the entirely new structures and buildings. He was used to the ground and straw and wooden homes and stores, not whatever this was. He began to feel something, a bit of homesickness as he walked the streets with his new friend, Fluttershy. He missed his home to the North and his family. He missed the taverns where he would share stories and songs of valor with his fellow warriors. Most of all, he missed his beautiful lover, Spectrum Dancer. He knew in his heart that he would never see her again.

"Are you ok, mister?" Fluttershy's voice snapped him back to reality.

"Of course, Miss Fluttershy, I'm alright." Fjord chuckled. He wasn't alright, the sadness was finally setting in. He was all alone in this world.

He was the last of his kind.

----

"Are you sure it was ok to just abandon the guy?" Twilight Sparkle said with concern as she and Rainbow Dash took their seats next to the rulers of Equestria, Princess Celestia and Luna. Twilight had been invited by the princesses themselves to this, the anniversary air show of the Wonderbolts, and part of her didn't really want to be here. Although seeing Rainbow Dash ecstatic was enough to put her bad mood aside.

"Come on, Twilight. He's just a mopey mess, he's not going to hurt anything. The guy could barely fly when I first busted him out of the ice."

"What is this 'Nordic Pegasus' you speak of, Rainbow Dash?" Princess Celestia asked. In all her years she had never known about the Northern pony tribes that pre-dated herself and Luna. It was fascinating for her to learn something for a change.

"According to the books I've been reading, they're an ancient tribe of pegasi to the far north that specialized in weather control. You could say that they invented it." She began. "But just as Equestria had been discovered, they simply vanished off the face of the world. Not many museums even have pieces of their history except for maybe a few weapons and pottery." The idea of this foreign, almost unknown pegasus intrigued her and Rainbow Dash.

"I think I'll go look for him once this is over." She said softly.

---

"Miss Fluttershy, watch out!" Fjord grabbed her around the haunches and hauled her back before a blue blur could smash into her. Fluttershy smacked into Fjord as they went backwards into a stand of soveneirs. Wiping the debris from his mane, he saw a large pony in a Wonderbolt costume standing by another stand purchasing an apple pie.

"Owwww..." Fjord jumped up at the sound of Fluttershy whining, a scrape on her front leg. "Don't worry, I'm ok Fjord.." Fjord looked at her in shock as memories came back to him.

"Don't worry Fjord, I'm ok... Grace said with tears rolling down her cheeks. Her coat and mane were splattered with blood, her legs and chest quivering.

"Sister, you need to tell father-"

"Father is the one who did this to me..." She cried. "I failed in my duties, brother. I could not dispatch the bandits." She whimpered.

"Hey!" Fjord bellowed, bringing the entire events of the day to a screeching halt as everyone looked towards him. "You, in the blue uniform!" The pony looked over in an almost smug manner.

"What do you want?" Soarin asked, rudely. "Sorry if I seem rude, I kind of have a show to do and I need-" Soarin didn't realize it, but Fjord pretty much towered over him and was in front of his face within a few seconds of yelling. "Wow, you're pretty big."

"Do you know what you did?" Fjord grabbed Soarin by the collar of his uniform and hauled him a few inches off the ground, causing him to flap his wings furiously. Try as he did, Fjord's grip was too tight, and even with all his strength he couldn't break free. "You hurt that mare over there." He forced Soarin to look over at Fluttershy, still nursing her scrape. "Apologize, now."

"What is going on here?" Another pegasus in uniform came flying down to the street where all the commotion was taking place.

"You protect him?" He snarled.

"Soarin, who is this stallion? And why is Fluttershy crying on the ground?" She said in a concerned tone.

"I don't know, I almost crashed into her and-"

"You could have seriously hurt her, you fool. Now apologize and I might forgive you!" Fjord stepped closer to him and flared his wings. They were twice the size of Soarin's, and beautiful and golden. "Or..." He wondered. As easily as he could have crushed Soarin, there were laws his people followed for this sort of thing, and they might still apply to this day.

"We race."

All the ponies gasped and stared at the strange stallion in disbelief all at once. A newcomer was challenging the second in command of the Wonderbolts and was confidant about it. Even Fluttershy looked up from her wounded leg to wonder what was going on.

"You sure about that?" Soarin looked cocky as he flared his wings and faced the Nordic pony. "Ok, if you win I'll apologize and do whatever you want after that." Fjord nodded his head and thought for a moment.

"And if you win, I become your personal thrall for a month." He said confidently. "That means your servant in our tongue, by the way." He chuckled. The idea appealed to Soarin as he extended his hoof, his eyes burning with confidence and fearlessness.

"You're on."

---

The ponies all took their seats in the stands as the announcer came to his podium and opened a piece of parchment. Ponies of all ages had been looking forward to this, the day of the twentieth anniversary of the Wonderbolts.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts!" He yelled, which was met by a roar of praise from the crowd. "Before we begin the actual events, Spitfire, captain of the Wonderbolts, has a special event for you all." The crowd cheered again as Spitfire took the stage, her hood and goggles off revealing her entire head and eyes.

"Hello everypony, and welcome to the twentieth anniversary of the finest flight team in all of Equestria, the Wonderbolts!" The crowd cheered again. "Before we get started with our regularly scheduled air show, we have a little wager to settle." The crowd went from cheering to muttering in confusion as Soarin and another stallion came galloping out of the back gate. "See, we had a bit of an incident before the start of this event, and now these two are going to race to come to a conclusion. I don't know about you, but I'm curious to see how this turns out." The crowd waited in anticipation as the two stallions stood side by side at the track. One familiar, the other completely strange, yet both seemed powerful.

"Rainbow Dash, isn't that the Pegasus you found?" Twilight observed the large stallion beside Soarin. Rainbow Dash saw and immediately spat her drink all over railing before busting out laughing.

"Oh man, this is gonna be great! He's in for it now!" She cackled as they took their starting positions.

"On your mark." The referee declared as they both bent down to the ground.

"Get set." They each opened their wings and stepped forward, preparing to take off at the word to start.

"Go!" The referee waved the flag and the two Pegasi shot across the starting line like two bullets from a gun. Soarin was the first to take off as he held his position in front of Fjord.

"Having trouble taking off-" Fjord wasn't flying, but he was by no means falling behind. He had actually jumped from the starting line and was shooting across the clouds lining the floor of the arena, just under Soarin. "Hey! Can he do that?!" Soarin yelled. The referee only nodded his head, saying that it was still technically part of the track. Fjord wasn't tired, nor was he slowing down. He had finally jumped from the clouds to the wall of the arena and began running along it perfectly, just passing Soarin as he gave it all he got.

"They call me Fjord Runner for a reason, brother!" He shouted as he flapped his wings and finally launched himself from the wall. The stallion roared past the first leg of the race and shot up into the next part. Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped as she saw the weak flier she met pass one of her heroes with relative ease on his home field. Soarin kicked it into high gear as he flew as fast as he could to keep up. The stallions were climbing higher and higher while passing several obstructions along the path, such as storm clouds and random gusts of wind. Soarin might have been an amazing racer, but Fjord has something else on his side besides his sheer power. He had been born into a clan of weather ponies, after all. As they reached the top of the course, the third leg had begun.

Soarin, seeing it as his chance, bucked Fjord in the mouth before taking off towards the finish line, a straight, angle down several hundred feet. This barely phased Fjord, and he roared down the track and past Soarin, knocking him off the race track and into a nearby weather cloud. The referee prepared the flag as a golden blur rocketed past the finish line and crashed into the arena wall.

Fjord Runner had won the race.