• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 2,637 Views, 116 Comments

Letters From the Path of Loss - Tavi n Scratch



After the loss of someone near and dear to me, Princess Celestia recommended that I write a letter to my lost companion.

  • ...
9
 116
 2,637

20th, Seven Months and One Week After Death

Dear Rainbow Dash,

I saw her today, for the first time in a long time I saw my wife. She was just as beautiful as I remember. I saw her at the market, she was looking at Rose’s stall, smelling the lovely flowers. I felt so much right then, at that moment. My world froze as I gazed towards the mare I had so longed to see. I just stopped, being too flabbergasted to even think.

As I stared, she turned around, greeted me with a simple “Hey Twi” and kept on going. I was stunned, the first time I’ve seen her in a little over seven months and all she says was hey. I was in shock. When I regained my composure I looked around but she was nowhere in sight. Immediately, I began to search around Ponyville.

After hours of looking, I had no luck. I decided to ask around. I went to the Carousel Boutique and asked Rarity if she’d seen Rainbow lately. It’s funny, you would’ve thought I had three heads by the look she gave me. I asked her what was wrong and she just shook her head and went back into the store. When I asked Fluttershy and Pinkie they had almost the same reaction. I think something’s up with them.

I was wondering on the outskirts of Ponyville, near the cemetery, when I ran into Applejack. I asked her if she’d seen Dash today. She said yes and just gestured toward the graveyard. I walked around the creepy area, stepping around the tombstones. When I looked around I didn’t see Rainbow, I guess she must’ve left since Applejack was here. It’s weird that those two met here, Dash usually hates places like this.

After wandering around a bit more, I saw a willow tree near one edge of the graveyard and made my way over to it. The tree was very much like the one in our field, and underneath it sat a solitary grave stone. I tried to read the words but they were too worn to make out. For some reason I felt a connection to this gravestone, to this small corner of the graveyard, to the tree that hung above me. This felt like the place we would’ve wanted to be buried. I stared at the stone for a while longer, staring at the faded words and trying to make sense of them. I gave up after a while when I noticed it was getting dark.

I walked home and sat down and started this letter. Today has been crazy, I just wish I could have found her. I’ll keep looking tomorrow.

I’m truly curious who that tombstone belonged to, because that’s where Rainbow and I had agreed to be buried, next to each other beneath that tree.

I’ll talk to you later,

Twilight