• Published 27th Dec 2012
  • 6,781 Views, 203 Comments

Kinetics - Habanc



On behalf of her sister, Princess Luna tries to elevate the studies of her new student, Twilight Sparkle. However, when their plans backfire, they find themselves in a new world where magic is lost, and then have to survive the turmoil in its place.

  • ...
10
 203
 6,781

Book 1: Chapter 14

Rewards & Rivals

“It's nothing personal, but if you're going to try to intimidate me into agreement, I'm not going to play nice.”


Sky slid next to Donevyn, who was beginning to stir.

"Donevyn! Donevyn!" she cried, cradling his head with her hooves. "Speak to me! Say something!"

He groaned, the plates in his armor clinking as he shuffled.

"That– that's good," Sky encouraged. "Can you tell me if anything's wrong? What hurts? Do I need to get Luna?"

He gave her no response, ceasing his mumbles and movements and lying still.

"I can go get her right now, just say the word and I'll go." She whispered.

He flicked his eyes open at her. "S– Sky?"

Relief poured over her face. "Yes?"

He grunted and shifted his weight, resting against her. With a grin, he muttered slowly, "You broke our bet."

Her expression was locked in place, covered by a mixture of confusion, shock, and rage.

"And I'm glad you did," he continued. "I know you're okay. That's all I need to hear, and I'm okay too." He gave a hoarse chuckle and closed his eyes again.

Choking on her feelings, Sky sat there, frozen. She stared down at his peaceful, resting form, while she drew short, quick breaths. He, for once, had left her truly speechless.

Worried by her silence, he flashed his eyes open, just in time to see her lips descend on his.

-~-

Iron Braar was, remarkably, just where Luna had left him. He was still unresponsive, lying against the outcrop. Pebbles and small stones littered the ground around him, but he had missed much of the collateral damage from the fight in the skies.

Again, she pressed an ear up to his chest. His heart was beating, and his lungs were breathing. Checking him over, she couldn't find much due to the ichor staining his coat. He was now a mottled wash of amber and faded black, and all she could unearth was a growing lump on the side of his head.

Luna pulled out her canteen. Unscrewing the cap, she doused his face with some water.

The stallion sputtered and gasped for air, rolling onto his side. Harsh coughs erupted from his chest, heaving along the floor. He wretched and groaned, slowly rousing into consciousness.

"Iron Braar?" Luna put a hoof on his shoulder.

"No. Don't speak. Don't yer even think of it," He rasped.

She remained mute as he recuperated. He took long, deep breaths, coughing occasionally, grunting often. Then, with a long inhale, he pushed himself onto his hooves.

Luna helped steady him as he stumbled about, offering a shoulder to lean upon. He whistled as he was lead away from the outcrop, looking at the fallen dragon. "Now, would yer look at that. We just gone on and killed that glorious bastard like we were old knights or somethin'!" He laughed hoarsely, before stopping short and putting a hoof to his head. "O'course, it feels like he killed me."

Slowly, following his lead, she helped him over to his severed head. "Now, you know what yer gotta do now, right?"

"I'm afraid I don't."

"What?" He nearly jumped, but was caught short and clutched his head again. "Ow. Like screwing a timberwolf, that hurts." He paused for a moment. "Apologies for the foul language, just seems like somethin' ain't right in my head."

"It'll be fine in a few days," she reassured him.

"Right, anyway, what yer gotta do is take one of his teeth." Iron Braar departed from her shoulder, and made his way over to Sreax's open mouth. "Ponies won't believe yer unless yer got a dragon tooth."

Luna shuffled. "I really don't need–"

Iron Braar was already busy with his knife, cutting away gum and tissue, before eventually wrenching out a tooth the length of his face. "That good?" He asked, grinning at his accomplishment and ultimate reward.

Luna stared at the gory, bloody incisor. "I... I don't know where I would even put it, or how to carry it with me anywhere."

"Ah well, fine, I'll be havin' that one for myself. Less for yer, I suppose." He returned to his work, cutting out one of the smallest teeth he could find. It was still wicked, sharp, and curved, the size of her hoof, but she supposed she should take it nonetheless.

Scraping off the excess tissue as much as she could, Luna put it in her bags. Leaving the frontierspony to his work, she rounded the head of Sreax, coming upon Sky helping Donevyn to his hooves. Both looked like they were absolutely glowing, but she wasn't about to be nosy.

"Could one of you look after Twilight?" Luna asked.

Tearing her eyes away from Donevyn, Sky nodded. "Sure."

Luna dipped her head. "Thank you. Donevyn, come with me."

The young stallion fell beside her as they walked towards the far end of the cavern. The balls of light they originally cast did not pierce into its shadows, and so she used her fragile magic to call another.

"I can barely keep still," Donevyn chirped.

"I know the feeling," Luna responded, cracking a small smile. "The exhilaration after battle, the relief of living, the nectar of victory. For you, I suspect, this is one of your first true fights, no?"

"Well, yes, that's right I suppose." He sighed. "I never did expect to slay a dragon on this trip."

Luna drove further into the darkness, her luminary sphere at the vanguard. "Neither did I. Now, let us see what Sreax was guarding."

"Huh? To me, it seemed like he was chasing somepony here, like that body we found when we first arrived. Anyway–"

"Well, yes, that's just it," Luna interrupted. "Dragons derive some of their power from their hoard. If somepony or someone steals an important piece of it, I assume Sreax would pursue them to no end."

"Right." Donevyn fidgeted as he walked. "But more than just the dragon, I–"

"What's this?" Luna stopped at the base of a large divot. She raised her light higher, to see further out. It continued on and on, almost like the dried basin of a small pond. But it was far from natural, gouged out by unmistakable claw-marks. "It looks like Sreax made himself at home for awhile. Crushing through the earth and rampaging across town must've exhausted him."

"Oh, that makes sense," Donevyn said halfheartedly. "So, as I was saying–"

"I wonder if he spent the last few weeks asleep? I apologize for interrupting," Luna mentioned belatedly, "but I haven't dealt with dragons in ages– I... I mean, I have only read books on them before. If you think about it–"

"Sky kissed me," Donevyn blurted out.

Luna stared at him, remaining mute for a moment. "Oh." She couldn't think of anything to say, out of both astonishment and uncomfortableness. "That is, er... good."

"It was." He smiled, mostly to himself. "I– I didn't expect it to happen, but she just sort of did, you know?"

"I–" Luna paused, mouth agape, "I really don't, no. Sorry."

"But I'm happy it did," he continued on. "I mean, as annoying as she can get sometimes, I really do like her, deep down."

Luna felt her chest tightening. "That is, well, great. Although, I... I don't understand why you are confiding this in me."

Donevyn shrugged. "I'm too happy right now. I have to tell somepony, and well, you're a pony I can trust."

"I am?" Luna's puzzlement and surprise grew.

"Well, yeah." His voice was sugar-sweet and as lofty as the clouds. "We get along well together–"

"We do?"

"–so I thought, you know, as my friend, I could talk to you about it." Donevyn sighed happily. "I don't know... I'm new to all of this, and you always seem so calm and collected, so I thought you might know the most about how all of this 'relationship' stuff works."

Luna froze, staring at him like a terror-struck doe. "I– I must admit, I am flattered that you think of me so highly. However, I..." She paused.

"What?" Donevyn asked, breaking her silence.

Luna gulped. "I am not– that is to say, I have not experienced a– ah, a romantic relationship with a pony in..." she didn't even bother to count the years. It was somewhere over a thousand. "Well, quite some time."

"Oh," came Donevyn's dampened response.

"But I... I am happy for you." The words strained through her lips. "I wish you both much luck and... happiness."

"Thank you." His smile returned in full force. "So, what are we looking for again?"

The metaphorical weight has sank off Luna's shoulders, sighing as the moment passed. "Something Sreax would've been heavily invested in guarding, I assume." She continued their search, at last. "Be on the lookout for anything that a dragon might keep. Gold, jewels, enchanted items, anything worth of immense value would be likely, although I cannot tell for certain."

Donevyn merely nodded, and continued along with her. Past the resting crater, they ventured into darkness that could hardly be pierced by Luna's magical light. It soon smothered them, reducing their previous cavern to nothing but a faint glow behind them. Yet, they still trekked, never once finding a wall to stop them. Minutes lost their significance, hoofsteps fell into the background as time both slouched and sprinted by.

It was Donevyn who saw it first.

"Wait, Luna... What is that?" He pointed further into the abyss.

Luna blinked. Once, and then twice, to refresh her eyes. It was dull, like the defected pigments in early dawn, unnoticeable unless one looked for it. Sure enough, as he said, it was there. It was... something. A subtle glow, a discrepancy that only barely changed from the surroundings.

Following the source of light, Luna and Donevyn came up to a cavern wall, and rounding it, discovered in no uncertain terms that they were on the right path. Skeletons lined the walls like garnish on a plate, which closed in on them as the natural hallway slimmed down. The increasingly ancient bones began to pile up as the glow grew brighter. The white rays of light were overwhelming Luna's own magical torch.

The walls gave way to a cavern as large as the one they fought in. Similarly, it too was covered with signs of battle, chunks of stone carved out and char-marks everywhere. However, there were no remains. No, the room was kept clean, and with good reason; at the center, there laid the dragon's hoard.

In all honesty, Luna was disappointed. For a beast so large and ferocious, it held very little in the way of physical wealth. There were no golden coins, crowns, jeweled weapons, or most of what one would associate with dragons. Instead, perhaps as high as herself and dozen feet wide, rested a mound of sapphires, and only sapphires. It was peculiar, but not completely surprising. What caught her attention was the off-white gemstone resting atop the jewels, emitting the light they had followed.

Luna could feel herself being pulled towards it. The sliver of creation within her glowed brightly at it, compelling her hooves onward. Donevyn mumbled something, but she paid it no notice. Across the cavern she trekked, until she stood before the pile of sapphires.

Hoisting herself into the air with a flap of her wings, she hovered above the luminous gem and picked it up with her hooves. Much like a pony can feel the beat of a drum in their chest, she could almost touch the energy radiating from it. Mystified, she soared back to Donevyn and landed.

"Do you know what this is?"

"No," came his awed reply. "Do you?"

"I fear I do not." She stared at it for a second more, taking in its every quality. It was half as big as her hoof, shaped like a droplet. From its center it glowed white hot, and radiated outwards, its faceted surface splashing light unnaturally.

There was something in there, deep within. She couldn't discern quite what, but her gut told her it was old. Millennia old. It would be best not to reveal it to anypony, she decided.

"Donevyn, could you lend me one of the bandages in your bag?" She waited, still watching the artifact. Taking the cloth when offered, she wrapped the jewel up and placed it within her bags.

Looking up to him, she tried to crack a smile. "Don't be afraid, Donevyn. I'll make sure it's looked after." She gestured back to the remaining hoard. "Now, should we claim our spoils? The stars now we may need it."

It was moments later that Luna returned to the cavern. To her relief, Twilight was awake, sitting up. She looked weary and dazed, but luckily without any immediate concerns.

Sky and Iron Braar turned to face her as she drew near. "Donevyn is further back in the cave," Luna intercepted them. "I left a few lights in my wake, you should help him. We'll have much to carry."

"Eh, we will?" Iron Braar asked.

Luna fished into her bag and retrieved a sapphire, tossing it to him. "Correct."

He gaped at the jewel for a second, before shaking his head. "Yes, 'course. Alright, Sky, yer have the better vision than me. Lead the way to the booty!"

Sky rolled her eyes at him, but couldn't help but giggle. She broke into a trot, with the frontierspony hot on her trail.

"They're interesting." Luna mused as she approached Twilight.

"Waking up to them was... interesting." Twilight smiled faintly. She tried to get up, but Luna disarmed her with a shake of her head.

Sitting down beside her, Luna asked, "Are you feeling well?"

"Well?" Twilight exhaled, running her hooves down her face. "No. My head is pounding like crazy, and everything aches. But other than that, I'm okay."

"I'm sorry." Luna murmured. "I remember you expressing concern about coming here, and ultimately it led to all this."

Twilight waved her off. "Forget it. What's done is done."

Luna remained mute for a moment. "Are– are you sure?" she ventured. "I have misplaced your trust in me, and–"

"Luna, it's fine. I'm more concerned with those burns you have than any sort of 'I told you so'."

Luna grunted and looked down at her legs. "They'll heal in time."

"Yes, but doesn't it hurt?"

"Well, no." Luna's lips soured into a frown. "But that's a case of adrenaline, which I'll be short of soon enough. I'll pass that bridge when I come to it."

Twilight mirrored her frown. "Well, did you at least find what Sreax was chasing after?"

"I believe I have." Luna pulled out the gemstone from earlier, unraveling it.

In an instant, Twilight's magic was upon it, floating it over to herself. She spun it around, tipping it every which way. "What is this?"

"I have no clue. My best guess is that it's very old, but that's not of much use."

"It feels old." The unicorn's eyes remained glued to the gem. "More than that, though, is the energy emitting from it. I can't even discover the source of it, with all the... layers – if that's a way of putting it – running through underneath." Her horn's magic grew brighter. "I can't tell how deep this magic goes, Luna."

Using one hoof to shield her from the increasing light, Luna put the other on Twilight's shoulder. "Then take caution. Return it to me, and let's wait until there is a more proper time to analyze it."

Twilight sagged, but nodded all the same. "Right, of course." Her magic returned to it's natural hue as she gave it back. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize," Luna chided her lightly. "Your curiosity will be helpful later on. For now, though," she turned to the decapitated dragon head, "we have more pressing concerns."

"Right." Twilight seemed to deflate even lower. "I mean, that's proof enough, but how are we going to fit a whole freaking dragon head into the palace, much less bring it back!?"

Luna paused for a moment, staring off into the shadows. There was a time and a place when champions had done the exact same to her. How had they pulled it off, bringing whole basilisk heads to her hall?

To make matters worse, they had to come in the way they came out, and that would not make it easy at all–

They had to come in the way they came out.

Luna smiled, and looked to Twilight. "I believe I have an idea."

-~-

"Ready?" Luna asked.

"Of course." Twilight looked to the bag that floated beside her, and emptied it, its sole content rolling in her telekinetic grasp. Placing the bag away, she ordered. "Alright, give me some space."

Luna moved across the large doorway from Twilight, and Sky, Donevyn, and Iron Braar all stayed behind by a dozen pony-lengths. Between them all hovered a rock.

A very heavy rock, Twilight corrected herself.

Without waiting, Luna pushed the doors open, and fanned out quickly into the hall. From first glance, Elector Dermecles was busy with another official, perched and bored upon his throne.

Letting her glamour collapse, Twilight threw Sreax's head along the floor. It took up easily half of the room, a behemoth that made everything and everypony else seem miniscule. It's jaw was wide open, frozen in the clutches of death, ready to engulf the Erhani leader.

Twilight followed Luna around the trophy. The pony beside Dermecles looked as if he had seen the gates of hell, unable to shear his doe-eyes away. The Grand Elector himself was stone-faced, his lips pressed into a flat line as his eyes sized up both the dragon's head and its slayers.

"Here. Is this not proof enough?" Luna shot a triumphant grin at him. "What do you have to say in your defense, Your Majesty?"

Dermecles remained mute, instead rising from his seat. He moved slowly, looking, examining their work as he descended the dais. He put his hoof out and touched one of Sreax's pony-long incisors, almost admiring it.

Twilight looked to Luna. Her grin had faded, returning to her usual poise around adversaries. Reserved, confident, and collected were the colors she wore, but Twilight could only guess at the thoughts running behind her veil.

Dermecles let out a breath, turning to the group as a whole with a slow nod. "I wouldn't have been surprised if you'd never returned. Yet, here you are, proving me wrong."

"Excuse me?" Luna's body bristled momentarily, before she could rein herself in. "Did you send us there with full knowledge of the dragon's presence?"

"I knew the dragon had decimated the town, yes." Dermecles smiled. "Did I expect you to actually go to Corin? No, of course not!" He dismissed the notion with a wave of his hoof. "Do you understand how many dignitaries I meet with? Of them, not many have anything that actually benefits Erhanos. My ponies come first, you understand."

Dermecles resumed in his admirations of Sreax. "It's nothing personal, but if you're going to try to intimidate me into agreement, I'm not going to play nice. Corin was nothing more than a convenient way to get you out of my mane. I was expecting you would've returned home, empty-hoofed, like the hundreds that've come before you."

"That still doesn't justify sending ponies blindly into a dragon's lair."

"Again, what were the chances?" Dermecles traced his hooves along the tips of Sreax's teeth. "Almost any soft and spoiled diplomat would have turned tail at the thought of entering the Northern Domelle, let alone a burned out mining town."

He paused, and turned to the pony still rooted to the dais. "That reminds me, before I go any further. Crimson Seal, please inform Duke Frismane – along with Queen Ulwyn, as we all know how Psuchros does its work through your prince – that if she wishes to make a threat again, it must be through her own lips. That will be all, you may excuse yourself from the room, and the palace by morning."

The stallion took a moment to compose himself, and nodded briskly. Giving Sreax's head a large and awkward berth, he made for the door.

Dermecles remained quiet until the doors had closed. "Carrying on, I did not expect you to go into Corin, much less return its tormentor's head to me."

Luna snorted out a gust of air. "Therefore, you admit to your deceit and endangerment of not only myself, but Ambassador Twilight as well, and our retinue?"

Retinue? Twilight recoiled internally. That's a bit demeaning, Luna. Being referred to so politically returned her to the days of being labeled as Celestia's pet, which in turned caused some heckling by the nobility. It was an unwelcome, uncomfortable sensation.

"Deceit of you, your retinue, and lovely miss Twilight," he gave her a glance and a quick smile, "yes, but only in the name of keeping Erhanos strong. If this were personal, believe me when I say you would know it."

Dermecles intercepted Luna before she could reply. "Now, given that this whole debacle has resulted in an extremely unlikely outcome, I suppose I shall remain true to my side of the deal," he paused to let his grin die, "as well as not imprisoning you for derision before royalty."

Luna stiffened, her eyes glowing like poked embers. To Twilight, she might as well have been a dormant coal, roaring to fiery life from a well-placed jab. It was apparent that the alicorn didn't enjoy being subservient to anything, and well, she couldn't blame her completely. She was used to being an immortal demigoddess, ruling over a realm as big as Anarkhos itself.

All the same, it was moments like these where Luna's pride was certain to get them in trouble, as it had when they first met the Grand Elector.

"And what is your side of the deal, Your Majesty?" Twilight cut in, before Luna's rebuttal.

With a flicker of genuine surprise, Dermecles turned to her. "If I remember correctly, I put a wager on my own coffers. That is what you shall have as a just reward, then. Compared to the reserves of the kingdom it's nothing but a pittance, but to you it'll be enough to live comfortably, I'd think."

"How much, exactly?"

"Seven-hundred thousand pieces," he replied, without blinking. "Again, relatively minuscule within the income of the kingdom. I shall have a word with the Neighdici's for it to be transferred to the banks in your names. Besides, this works well for everypony. You rid me of a pest, and I pay you less than what it'd cost for my armies to deal with it." Dermecles looked to Sreax, sprouting a grin. "That, and I also have the head of the legendary Depths' Lurker to decorate my dining hall with."

"All is well for you, but what of us?" Luna asked, finally breaking free of her chains. "In case it is forgotten, we're still obligated to return with an agreement between our nations."

He let out a breath, his face souring. "Very well." He looked to one of his guards in the room. "Steel Nerves, take out your quill."

The guard complied without response, ready to put his words down.

"If that is what it takes to satisfy you, Ambassador Luna, I shall admit that an influx of bandits within Hurrassian territory was a direct result of the destruction of one of our jails, although by a force that was impossible to deal with quickly." He eyed her like a shark. "You understand, don't you? Those burns along your flanks look quite severe."

"I managed," Luna grunted.

He held her glare. "In addition, I am hereby assuring that patrols will resume along the northern Erhani-Hurrassian border. With the threat destroyed, it is safe to resume activities in the regions of Corin and Torenze. Erhani patrols will pursue any convicts found within the Domelle, along with their initial objective of apprehending Gerhillian raiders. Hurras has my word.

"However, I hope that your sovereign will send more respectful diplomats in the future, as I would hate for a single, hot-headed dolt to ruin the great friendship between us." He turned to Steel Nerves. "Apply a seal and date it."

Twilight flicked her eyes anxiously to Luna, and found her fears justified. The midnight mare was absolutely enraged, from the slight tremble in her hooves to the adamantine, unwavering stare that she held Dermecles with.

"Now, while I must thank you all for your service to Erhanos, the needs of the Kingdom don't wait. If there's nothing else for us to discuss, you may see yourself out."

The Erhani guard trotted to them, offering a scroll which Twilight accepted.

"Of course," she dipped her head, "thank you, Your Highness."

Ignoring the smirk Dermecles shot them, Twilight turned and ushered Luna out of the room, with the others in tow.

-~-

The thin, wisp-of-a-pony before them struggled with the bags as he pulled them to the marble counter.

"There you are, Ambassador. Six-hundred gold, thousand-piece coins." Fetching another set of bags, he continued, "And here is the remainder, in both silver, hundred-piece and copper, single-piece coins. All separated into five divisions, as you requested."

He adjusted the spectacles on his nose. "Is there anything else you need from the Neighdici family?"

"That'll be all," Twilight responded, giving him a smile. She took the bags in her hooves and began to pass them out.

"There, one hundred, forty-thousand pieces for each of you." She watched as Sky's face blossomed, the hefty sack of coins in her grasp.

Tucking away two portions into her saddlebags, Twilight turned toward the doors. She made quickly for the outside, ignoring the blinding noontime sun. Rounding the corner of the building, she found Luna just where she left her to cool down, in the shadow of the alley.

"Here," Twilight called out, "catch."

Luna turned just in time to intercept the two bags of money, held in her magic. She cracked a weary smile.

"Feeling better?" Twilight asked.

"Yes," Luna admitted, slipping the coins away. "I apologize for losing my temper."

The unicorn shrugged. "It's fine. He was kind of a jerk."

"That's a way of putting it. But, ah, it's all over, now." Luna's grin grew. "Do you want to browse the market for awhile? I could use a distraction to subdue my vitriol."

Twilight looked back into the crowded square, a myriad of vendors set up, ponies careening through on wagons, crowds incessantly swirling around like vultures.

"Uh, sure." She turned to Luna. "Do you want a glamour? Ponies don't stop staring at me otherwise."

Luna shook her head. "I believe I have the strength to cast a minor one on my own. I'm blotting out my horn, that's all." Without waiting for a reply, she charged her horn, and with a grunt, forced a spell.

With a pop and the slight scent of ozone, Luna coughed and ran a hoof over her head. No horn.

"There we are." Luna stretched her limbs and walked out towards the market, Twilight keeping pace with her. "My magic has been recovering nicely as of late."

"That's good. Although, I wonder why your mane hasn't come back yet," Twilight pointed out as they were submerged into the herd of shoppers.

"I can't say for certain. Repairing a reservoir is an ambiguous, unknown process, as unicorns would simply suffer a burnout before any such catastrophe could occur. Neither Celestia nor I have discovered much on it." She pushed a lock of light azure hair away from her face. "In the meantime, it isn't much of a bother. In fact, I'm starting to like it."

"Oh, well that's good. I like it too." Twilight smiled at her, dropping into an easy silence as they walked.

It was a nice day out, for once, after weeks of traveling, sprinting, fighting, and generally being afraid. In fact, it had become peculiar that she wasn't scared, here in the market. It felt like something was missing, that something was wrong. The thought put a frown on Twilight's face.

"A bit for your thoughts?" Luna hummed.

"Huh? Oh, no, it's nothing. Don't worry about it." Twilight cast her eyes to the sandy floor beneath them.

"We're finally at ease, Twilight. If now isn't a time to reveal something, there never will be."

She cast her eyes about the market, noting the sheer number of ponies around them. After all the time on the road, in the wilderness, again it had become odd to be around so many. It was constricting and uncomfortable, and yet nothing different to the bustle of Canterlot.

Her anxiety increased still, until it finally cracked her mute lips.

"I'm not afraid, Luna."

"Oh? Then I am perplexed as to why you're frowning."

"That's just it. I'm not afraid, right now. I don't feel some fear of being caught, heard, or hurt. I don't like the fact that I'm noticing this, as if it's missing from my daily life."

Luna paused, and then pulled Twilight aside from the main avenue, sheltered between two shops. "I thought we established that you could confide in me about issues such as this. How long has this been bothering you?"

Twilight shook her head. "I just thought of it now, honest. You know me, I tend to worry... quite a bit."

"This is true." Luna stared out into the busy throng of ponies, letting a sigh go. "If it brings you relief, I'll share a realization of my own." She looked back. "We're done. No more silly parading after diplomatic agreements, no more juvenile kings that grate my nerves."

Luna smiled at that. "Once we return to Konik, it'll be nothing more than us two, looking for the waypoint. With what we found in texts, I would surmise we're not far off, either. I know what to look for. Thus, take heart in the fact that our entanglement with all this political nonsense will be over soon."

Twilight returned the smile, and rolled her eyes. "Knock on wood." She looked around, and found nothing but stone. "Whatever. You're right, soon it'll be over. I should've remembered that and not worried so much."

"Good." Luna led them both back out and into the street.

"Although," Twilight spoke in a quiet voice, "speaking of worrying so much, won't it be a bit more dangerous with only two of us traveling?"

Luna spared her a chuckle. "I would hope we're more than a match for a few ragtag miscreants by now. Though, I may have an idea to help quell your concerns."

-~-

Twilight sagged to the ground as they broke for camp. They were barely a mile and a half from Konik, but for her sake they decided not to travel through the night.

"How are you holding up, Twilight?" Sky asked as she walked by.

"Just... great," she panted. Rolling over on her back, she started to undo some of the metal plating that encompassed her upper body.

"Do you want any help with that?" The acolyte stopped, waiting on her.

"I... I..." Twilight resigned herself with a shrug. "Sure, why not." She sat there as Sky went about, undoing the rest of her straps and buckles. Her breath was slowly returning, and with it, the soreness in every joint, muscle, and tendon available. For six days this had been the routine, and with each passing day the fatigue lessened.

Although, she couldn't really care right about then. The dull pain encompassing her body was in full force, so with great effort she finally rose to her hooves. It was almost like walking on air, the comparative loss of so much weight from her body.

"All good?" Sky asked.

"Yeah, thanks."

Twilight stared at the pile of polished, steel barding, which was, in all honesty, not as big as it felt. It covered her chest, back, and shoulders, along with light boots for her hooves, and she was beginning to regret the purchase.

Luna had guaranteed that it'd protect her from an array of blows, but what she didn't mention was the weight. It bogged her down, like moving through mud, forcing extra effort from each step and each mile.

Twilight watched as Luna trotted across camp. To say she was jealous would be an understatement. The alicorn was wearing probably twice as much metal as she was, and showed little signs of tiring. Hell, she was still wearing it. Add on her new, heavier blade and bigger saddlebags, and it was downright unfair.

Stumbling over to where the fire was being lit, Twilight sat down again. It wasn't long before Iron Braar joined her, who had been strangely mute for most of the trip.

"Are yer muscles cryin' right about now?"

"They haven't shut up for a week." Twilight chuckled.

Iron Braar returned with one of his own. "Eh, don't yer worry none. Builds character. 'Sides, it'll be easier once yer head out into the plains. Not all them blasted hills to climb."

"You have a point there." Twilight stretched her forehooves, listening to the alarmingly large amount of pops and clicks in her joints. "We'll still have to go through the wilderness to get to Kvallholm. I have no clue what we'll find on our journey there, though, and the protection would be useful. But, if getting used to that ridiculous armor is all I have to worry about when we head out west, I'll be happy."

"O'course." His voice shifted, growing more tense as he zoned out into the nascent fire, watching the smoke rise into the air. "Been meanin' to talk to yer and Luna about that."

"Huh?"

"See, I ain't much like Sky or Donevyn," he began. "Don't have these ideas of adventure or romance or none of that. Nah, I lost that pretty quick in the north. Me, I've always been thinkin', if the tides gave me some way of doin' it, that I might want to settle down somewhere new.

"I ain't much like most Domel Dwellers either. They pride the freedom they got, but me, eh, the constant danger ain't somethin' I want my foals raised into. So, for a few years now, I've been gettin' this idea in my head that I might be able to head to one of them small, northwestern states and start fresh. They usually don't get involved in wars or anythin'. Nothin' fancy, just a farm and a cottage for myself, but quiet and peaceful-like."

"That sounds wonderful," Twilight agreed, lowering her tone.

"Eh, thank yer." Iron Braar paused and let go of a breath. "See, since I heard yer and Luna were gonna be goin' west, I was thinkin' of maybe stickin' around with y'all. T'ain't much left for me in the Domelle, don't care none for the few items in my cave. I also got the pieces I need now to buy myself a small plot of land, and not be some renting serf. I figure it's as good a time as any to go.

"You'd have an extra axe with yer until we hit Gerhille, and a mean storyteller to boot. I'd carry my own vittles and everythin', and I–"

"You don't need to convince me," Twilight interrupted. "I'd be glad to have the help."

"Again, thank yer kindly." He looked around the camp, and then drew closer to Twilight. "Though, if I'm gonna be honest with yer, I never was worried none about convincin' yer. Miss Luna is the one I'm worried about."

"Luna?" Twilight's eyes widened. "I don't think she'd have an issue either."

"Eh, one might think so, but yer saw how hot-headed she got with the Elector at the palace." His expression drew grim. "Believe me when I say it, not even a dweller would dare speak like that to him. So, fer Luna to go right up to him and start mouthin', well, it says somethin' alright. I just thought it best not to take my chances around her."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure she's fine with it," Twilight promised.

A grin draped over his face. "Righty, then. Thank yer, Twilight."

-~-

Around the campfire, the five of them sat, feasting on a small bounty of vegetables and fruits. The Domelle chattered lightly in the background, crickets chirping. The tone was light, the conversations playful.

"Did not!" Sky proclaimed, slamming her hoof down.

"Oh, trust me, it was obvious." Twilight rolled her eyes. "It was only a matter of when, not if. But, I'm happy for you both. It's cute."

Sky scooted closer to Donevyn. "Y–yeah, okay, whatever. Thanks, Twilight," she murmured.

"Eh, real cute, yeah," Iron Braar broke in, "but for once keep it 'cute' on the other side of the camp tonight, right?"

Laughter surrounded the campfire as Sky's face turned redder than the coals nearby. Donevyn sat there with a dumb grin slapped on him, as entertained as anypony else.

"Seriously, my ears need their privacy too!"

"Alright, alright," Luna intervened, "don't be so harsh, Iron Braar." She pulled out a bottle of wine from her bags. "Give me your canteens, everypony.

"I figured we would have a moment, a night such as this." Luna poured the drink equally into everypony's flasks. "Before the last stretch of our journey together, I would like to say that it has been an honor to walk beside all of you. Twilight and I are new to this continent, and believe me, we couldn't have survived it alone."

She passed the canteens back. "Perhaps we may see each other again, but should Twilight and I, ah, cross the Great Sea before then, I want to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude. I may have known each of you for different amounts of time, but there is no uncertainty within my heart when I call you 'friend'."

Luna raised her wine. "To you, my friends."

A stunned silence lingered between them. Faces were mixed between surprise and emotion, as Donevyn blinked away his tears.

"Ha! To you as well!" Iron Braar roared, raising his canteen high and taking a swill from it.

"Yeah! And Twilight!" Sky joined in.

"Yes, to you all!" came Twilight.

Misty-eyed, Donevyn only managed to raise his drink, and lowered it to his lips.

The camp again descended into a rumble of laughter and jokes, as the wine bottle was passed between them.

Twilight got up and walked over to Luna, sitting beside her. "That was nice of you," she mentioned.

"Thank you. I found the idea while we were in Lobos."

The night tarried on in Anarkhos as it always had, and she wished it to last a century. She couldn't remember any better group of friends she'd had in a long time, Equestria or not.

Luna couldn't help but feel that – even if they returned to Equestria – a part of her would still be left here, in this moment, lost in the Domelle.

-~-

Later that evening, in the privacy of her tent, Luna took out Sreax's gem. She watched as it glowed softly, frowning at the vault of secrets locked within. "What are you?" she asked quietly.

She had an idea. Twilight would likely disapprove, as she didn't have the magic to perform an elaborate analysis spell. That being said, there were more... archaic methods that had served her well in the past. Even with her weakened arcane state, one was available.

Raw links to magically-charged objects were obsolete when compared to newer information-gathering spells, but they were widely used before her banishment. It wasn't ideal, but it pained her to waste valuable time.

It was settled. Luna put her horn to the gem, and let her base magic flow through.

Magical discharge overcame her the moment she charged her horn. There was a quick zap between her and the gem before she could close the link. It was to be expected, she supposed, from such a powerful item.

She sighed. There was nothing she could gain from her old methods, as her own magical probe was instantly overrun by the gem's. She wrapped it up, and put it away. Twilight could look at it again in the morning.

Author's Note:

A big thanks to TheLastBrunnenG for proofreading, as always!

The final chapter of Book 1 will be out tomorrow!