• Published 17th Jan 2012
  • 4,448 Views, 41 Comments

The Cloudy Stars - Fullmetal Pony



A pegasus just can't talk to mares... some magic might help though

  • ...
8
 41
 4,448

Pink and Red

He’d screwed up. After his night on the cloud, Star had returned early in the morning to his home, keeping a vigilant eye out for anypony. It didn’t seem like anypony had seen him, but he had still dashed to his home, found his spare key (hidden in a nearby cloud), and barred the door behind him. He shut all the windows (no easy task given the tendency of pegasi homes to be very open) and slumped into his kitchen. He poured himself a bowl of oats and ate it without even bothering to add milk.

After he finished eating, he ascended the stairs to the second floor of his house and began moving towards his bedroom. However, as he walked down the hall, he passed a mirror and noticed that his mane was becoming unkempt again, with loose ends sticking out in various directions. That always happened when he slept, but now the effect was multiplied due to the longer mane. “I need to take a shower.”

~~~

The shower hadn’t helped much, it just reminded Star of the dilemma he was in. He was glad that the steam from the shower fogged up the bathroom mirror; he didn’t want to look at himself right now. Normally, showers revitalized him, but now he just felt tired again. After drying off, he made his way to his bedroom and collapsed on the bed and pondered what to do next. But no answers came to him.

~~~

That was how things basically went for the next three days. Star tried catching up on his studies, but he couldn’t focus. He then gave into his paranoia and started vigorously watching for signs of anypony coming near his house. He didn’t let out a breath when the mailpony made her daily runs. Every time she knocked on his door, he’d hidden under his bed until the knocking had stopped, then he quickly snatched whatever parcels the grey pegasus had left behind.

But it was on the third day that he realized he’d screwed up: his food supplies were running low. All the options he had were weighed down with heavy risks. The market was immediately crossed off his mind. It was too open and too many ponies would be trotting through it. There was also Applejack. Despite her kind offer, Star knew that if she spotted him she’d call out his alias, drawing the eyes of even more ponies. Then the pink horror would hear the commotion and it’d all be over.

It didn’t help that Star’s mane and coat were becoming more and more disheveled as the days went on. No matter how thoroughly he cleaned himself, his mane and coat just wouldn’t listen. Star knew that if he had to get food he had to go soon.

There was always the option of grazing on the edge of town. There were less ponies, but it would seem very conspicuous for a pony to be grazing when they could just go into town to get a proper meal. Star decided that option was too risky as well. The x-factor that was Pinkie was too great of a threat.

Then he decided he’d go for the most insane choice of all: Sugarcube Corner. It was the place Pinkie worked, but that also meant Star would know when she was there and when she wasn’t. Plus, the Corner was contained. With some proper spying, he’d know exactly when it was empty and when the pink horror wasn’t there.

As Star’s food supply dwindled over the next few days, he took it upon himself to gather all the information he could about the Corner. Armed with a pair of binoculars, he’d perched himself on a cloud high above the bakery and had watched and waited. He noted the times when the store was most crowded, when it was near empty, and, most important of all, when Pinkie left the store.

It seemed the Cakes’ newborn foals were the greatest blessing Star could ask for as they gave Pinkie a reason to leave the store. Around three every afternoon, just when the store was nigh empty, the pink mare would emerge from the store pushing two carriages. The strolls she took the foals on lasted about thirty minutes; that was Star’s time to make his move.

~~~

Star pulled the coat closer around him, both out of fear and because it was a windy day. Rarity really had designed the coat perfectly to combat the cold wind. He’d watched Pinkie leave from atop his cloud and waited a few minutes before he descended; he wasn’t taking any chances of her having another one of her “doozies.” He quickly scooted into the store once he was sure the coast was clear. He didn’t see anypony at the counter. “Um… hello?”

A magenta mane popped up from beneath the counter. “Be there in one sec dearie.” Star could deal with Mrs. Cake, motherly mares didn’t set off the same wave a nervousness that mares Star’s own age did. As she finished her behind-the-counter work, she looked up at her new customer. “Now, what can I get you hon?”

“Um, two oat loaves, a dozen hay biscuits and a baker’s dozen of the pumpkin mu-”

“MUFFINS!” Star jumped up in fright from the loud cheery voice. He quickly turned around, only to be met by two crossed eyes. “Hiya!” A grey pegasus waved a hoof at Star.

“Now Derpy,” Mrs. Cake had the tone of a mother lessoning a child, “you have wait your turn. I’ll get your muffins after I help the other customer ok?”

“Okay Mrs.Cake.” The grey pegasus gave a cartoonish salute.

The baker pony now turned her attention back to Star. “I’ve gotta say though, that’s a pretty big order was such a small mare.”

“I-I’m a big eater,” Star nervously replied.

“Hmm, it’s always the ponies you least expect. Why, I just think of all the times Pinkie has nearly cleaned us out by herself when she was on a sugar craze. Oh, just listen to me babble on though. I’ll be right back with your stuff.” With that, Mrs. Cake trotted to the back of the store to fetch Star’s food. That left him alone with the grey pegasus. For a few seconds, there was silence in the room before Derpy spoke up again.

“Have I seen you before?” She might have been giving him an inquisitive look, but the crossed eyes made it hard to tell what she was thinking.

“What?! N-n-no that’d be silly! You must have me confused with somepony else!”

“Well, you’re probably right. I do sometimes mix up faces. But you still look pretty familiar.” She leaned closer to get a better look at Star.

Why is this happening? Why is this happening?! “Um, you know, I think I might have forgotten something back home.” Star was just about ready to dash for the exit, when Mrs. Cake returned from the back of the store. She was holding two bags with her mouth and a clear box of muffins with her tail.

“Alright hon, here’s your things,” she said as she set down the bags. “And here are your muffins Der-” Before she could even finish, the grey pegasus had already scooped up the box and laid down her bits to pay for it.

“Thansh Missuth Cake!” she said as she trotted out the door and smacked on a muffin.

“That mare astounds me sometimes.” The baker pony looked on as the grey pegasus flew off into the sky. All Star could do was wonder what the hay just happened. “Sorry about that dearie, she’s one of our regulars. She’s really a good pony, she just has her head in the clouds a little… then again she is a pegasus. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve seen you around before.”

“Oh,” Star said in an apprehensive tone, “I’m just a traveler passing through town. Somepony, um, told me that the food was good here, so I thought I’d stock up for the, uh, road.” He flashed the baker a nervous grin.

“Oh my, that sounds quite fun. Well, if you ever pass through town again be sure to stop by. We always have great seasonal stuff as well.”

“Yeah… I’ll definitely remember that,” Star said as he paid for the food, put it in his spare bag (his other one still lost at the library), and made his way to the exit. He really did regret that Pinkie worked at the Corner since it made some truly delicious food. He always looked forward to the hot drinks and cake they served every Winter Wrap Up or the sun cookies they made for the Summer Sun Celebration. But those were the only times he got to try the Corner’s food. If only she didn’t work here. He was so preoccupied with the thought of getting some good food after days of eating nothing but stale oats that he didn’t notice the pony walking right in front of him.

“Oh! Mrs. Cake, I’m really sorry, but I forgot to bring the spare diapers for the fo- oof!” Pinkie and Star ran face first into each other.

“Oww!” Star exclaimed as he held a hoof to his head. “What did I hi- oh…oh no.”

“Wow! I haven’t gotten knocked in the head like that since that time I tried making rock balloons!” Pinkie quickly got back to her hooves and looked down at the other recovering pony. “You need a ho-” Before she could finish, her limbs arched back and her head nodded violently, just like before. After it was over, she fell to the ground and was face to face with Star. Suddenly, she jerked an excited hoof at Star. “Oh! You must be the mystery pony Fluttershy was looking for! Yay! I found you!”

Star tried to move, but he was too paralyzed with fear. For a second, his mouth just gaped open as he tried to say something before he stuttered out a weak sentence, “Y-y-you h-have the w-w-wrong p-pony!”

“Nope! My Pinkie sense is never wrong! Oh, this’ll be so exciting! We’ll have a big welcoming party and there’ll be sarsaparilla, and games, and cake… did I mention sarsaparilla?” The pink pony now turned up toward Mrs. Cake. “Sorry Mrs. Cake, I know I was taking care of the foals, but I have to throw a party for a new pony! Can I get like five mega chocolate cakes please? With extra chocolate?”

Mrs. Cake stood bemused for a second before snapping back to his senses. “Oh, um, yes, sure-sure,” she nodded as she spoke before going to the back of the store to prepare herself for one of Pinkie’s parties.

Having finished giving her request to the baker, Pinkie now turned her attention back to Star. Unfortunately, by this point he’d been reduced to a shaking brown ball of fur. “Oh, that’s right, sorry-sorry!” There was now a hint of concern in Pinkie’s excited voice. “Fluttershy said if I ran into you that I should be really careful since you get a little nervous.”

“F-fluttershy said that?”

“Yeah, she was like ‘oh, um, Pinkie, if you see Cloudy please be nice and tell her we should throw her a party.’ I was like ‘Oki-doki-loki.’” Pinkie’s impression of Fluttershy was quite good; she even got the downcast eyes down.

Traitor! She set me up! Betrayal and rage accompanied the panic in Star’s mind now. I trusted her and she threw me to the pink dogs! I knew I shouldn’t have trusted a mare! I knew it! “I don’t want to go to a party,” he said in a cold voice. He desperately wanted the pink nightmare to be banished back to his worst nightmares.

“Ohhh.” It almost looked like Pinkie’s hair lost some of its bounciness. “But… everypony likes my parties.” Tears started to well up in her eyes.

“I… oh, no no no! Please don’t cry!” Please! I didn’t mean to upset you! I just can’t be seen like this! Please! What do I do, what do I… He had to take the fall. He would rather live his life as a laughing stalk than live a life where he had made a mare cry. “I… I’ll go to the party.” He hung his head low in defeat.

Pinkie instantly perked up to her excited normal self once again. “Oh, you will?! Yay! I’m so happy! Just wait here a second so I can get everything ready!” She rushed out the door but quickly rushed back in with the two carriages. “Mr. and Mrs. Cake! The foals are up front! I’ve gotta go plan a party!” With that she dashed out of the store, leaving Star alone with the two foals.

Luckily, before that disaster could unfold, a yellow stallion walked from the back of the store to pick up the two foals. Before he took them away, he looked over at Star. He quickly put together the pieces of what happened. “She throwing you a party?”

“Yes,” came a weak reply.

“Sounds like you’re a little familiar with Pinkie’s parties. I know they can get a little crazy, but she means well. She just wants to be friends with everypony, it’s actually a little admirable.”

“Doesn’t matter, it’s over anyways.” Star just looked at the ground.

“What do you mean by th-” before Mr. Cake could finish, a pink blur dashed back into the room.

“Oki-doki! Everything should be ready by the time we get there!” As she said this, Mrs. Cake returned to the front of the store pulling a dolly loaded with the chocolate cakes. “Oooh! Those look good! Hope I don’t eat them on the way over!” Pinkie took out some bits and paid for the cake. “C’mon Cloudy, this is gonna be so much fun!” She quickly pulled the dolly out of the store. Star slowly trotted close behind. He didn't even bother bringing his food.

“Poor gal, she probably got overloaded at Pinkie’s last party,” Mr. Cake said as she watched the pair disappear into Ponyville's streets.

“Oh, I’m sure she’ll be fine. Pinkie always knows how to make a pony smile.” Mrs. Cake doted at her husband’s side.

~~~

I wonder what the going rate is at freak shows? It’ll be the only place I can get a job after this. Star frowned as he trotted by Pinkie.

“Hey, are you ok?” A frizzy mane shoved itself in Star’s face, cutting off his thoughts.

“Yeah,” he said weakly, not caring anymore about the mare’s close proximity, “just sorting out future career choices.”

“Oooh! That sound fun… but you don’t look that happy.”

He sighed. “It’s just a personal thing. I’m sure once we’re at the party, you’ll understand.”

“Hmm...” She looked closely at Star. “Are you allergic to parties?”

“I… what?” The question totally flipped Star’s mind.

“Well, there was that time I thought you exploded and I mentioned ‘party’ that time too. So I was thinking you might be allergic to parties or something. Like you go to parties and then you blow up. Hmm, if that’s the case then we’ll have to throw you a ‘not-party’ party, that way you won’t explode!”

Star couldn’t tell if she was joking, serious, or both. “Um, no it’s not that it’s just…” Screw it, I’m doomed anyway, might as well get it off my chest. “I’m not good around mares.”

Pinkie gave Star a quizzical look. “Well that’s a little silly. I mean, you are a mare.”

“I know,” regret filled Star’s voice.

“Oh, mares aren’t that bad. At least I don’t think we’re bad, I’ve never been bad, and Rarity hasn’t been bad, and Twilight hasn’t been bad, and Applejack hasn’t been bad, an…”

“Okay! I get it. I know mares aren’t bad, they’re all really nice. I’m the problem, I’m always scared I’ll do something stupid and upset them, like at the Corner when I said I didn’t want to go to your party.”

“Cloudy,” Pinkie stopped pulling the dolly and gave Star a pat on his shoulder, “you shouldn’t be that worried about upsetting a mare.” She took her hoof off and began pulling the dolly again. “Everypony makes mistakes, it’s just a part of being friends. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a mare or a stallion, getting over those mistakes and becoming even better friends is what makes it fun!”

Is… is it really that simple? Have I really just been overthinking it? The thought preoccupied Star for the rest of the trip.

~~~

“Oooh!” Pinkie let out a squeal of excitement. They had arrived at the party’s location: the large barn at Sweet Apple Acres. “C’mon!” She pushed on the door. Music greeted them. “It’s time to party!”

“O-okay,” Star nervously replied. Well this is it…maybe Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash could help me find a job. Then again, Applejack could probably use some help on her farm. He trotted into the dimmed barn.

“Surprise!” came the combined voice of five ponies as the barn suddenly lit up. Standing before Star were Rarity, Dash, Pinkie, Fluttershy and Applejack. Above them was a banner that flashily read: Feel Better Cloudy. Star was amazed at the sight.

“Wh-what is all this?” Star’s mouth gaped open at the banner. He didn’t know what to say.

“Well we-” Fluttershy’s response was cut short by Dash.

“After you left, Fluttershy told us you had been feeling really down lately with some personal stuff. So we decided that if we ever ran into you again, we’d throw you an awesome ‘cheer-up’ party!”

“Yeah, Ah recon what happened at the spa didn’t help much either. Oh and don’t worry about them two spa ponies, Ah gave them enough pieces of ma mind for the both of us.”

“Fluttershy… did you really put this all together?” Star still couldn’t help but be stunned by the work the ponies had done for him.

“Well, it wasn’t just me.” Fluttershy blushed.

“Yes dear,” Rarity trotted over and gave Star a pat on the back, “we all worked hard to make sure you felt better. It wasn’t easy putting together a party on the fly, but I think the ends justify the means.”

“Especially if the ends are cake and sweets!” Pinkie exclaimed excitedly.

“All of you…” tears began to dot Star’s eyes as he sniffled a little, “after all I’ve put you through you still did all this for me?”

“Um, didn’t we just have this conversation?” Pinkie gave Star a confused look.

“I… I know but still you’re all such great… friends!” Star galloped over to the group of ponies and gave them all a big hug. Tears of happiness flowed down his face.

“Aw shucks, we were all just trying to be good ponies.” Applejack patted Star on the back.

“But it really is sweet that you feel that way about us.” Rarity also returned the hug.

“I agree,” Fluttershy responded meekly.

“Me too! Just don’t get all teary eyed whenever we’re flying again.” Dash joined the others in returning Star’s hug.

“Yay! The party has just started and we already had so much fun! Although I’m kinda sad Twilight couldn’t make it.” Pinkie’s last sentence held some concern in it.

“Yeah, where is Miss bookworm anyway?” Dash asked as she and the rest of the ponies began to untangle themselves from the pile they had become. “I haven’t seen her since she asked me for a feather a few days ago.”

“You know, it was the weirdest thing. After I told you to get everypony else ready for the party, I went over to library to ask her to the party. But Spike said she was sick. Buuuut, the really weird thing was I thought Cloudy was there too ‘cause when I was at the library my ‘Cloudy doozy’ went off. But I’m pretty sure she stayed at the Corner… oh wait, you’re not a teleporting pony are you?” She looked over at Star who now had a bemused look on his face. “‘Cause that’d be so cool and fun! I’d be like ‘I wanna go see the princess!’ and you’d be like ‘okay.’ Then, we’d both teleport to Canterlot and the-”

Applejack held up a hoof to get Pinkie to stop, the silliness was getting too much for her. “Uh Pinkie, not that Ah don’t mind hearing about teleportin ponies and all, but could ya just tone it down a little. Although, Ah gotta admit, A’m a little worried about Twi. Ah haven’t seen her around town for the past few days.”

A ping of guilt ran throughout Star’s body. He’d completely forgotten that Twilight had been searching for a cure to his condition. Pinkie’s tale reminded him that the poor student had probably been working day and night to find a cure. “I hope she’s alright,” Star muttered.

“Please, Twilight’s the best magic user in Equestria! I’m sure she could just magic away a cold.” Dash floated in the air, putting on a brave face in front of her friends. “I just hope she doesn’t ask me for any more feathers. I still need them to fly after all.”

“Really Rainbow Dash, it’s not that simple, magic can’t solve everything. If it did, I’d be the most famous fashion designer in Equestria with a lovely stallion at my side.” Before Rarity could fully drift off into her fantasies she remembered Twilight. “But, I’m sure she’ll be fine, she’s a strong pony.”

“But since she isn’t here we’ll have to party for her! Oh, and when she’s better, we’ll have to throw her a ‘you’re not sick anymore’ party! It’ll be so much fun!” Pinkie then grabbed Star and pulled him over to where the music was playing. “C’mon Cloudy, let’s boogie!”

“Okay!” A smile was now on Star’s face. “Let’s, um, boogie!”

~~~

That was how the party went on for a while. Dash joined Pinkie and Star on the dance floor, Rarity manned the music station, Applejack made sure there was plenty of food to go around, Fluttershy got up the courage to dance a little, and Pinkie was well… Pinkie. As the food dwindled down, Applejack disappeared to go get some more food. Everypony had a great time, but Star wasn’t a big partier, so he decided to sit down for a bit. “Phew, Pinkie, you really do know how to throw a party!”

“But you’ve got some pretty neat dance moves Cloudy! You’d probably be better without that coat though.”

Star pulled his coat a little closer. He’d skirted having his identity revealed and he wished to keep it this way. “S-sorry, I’m not good with the cold weather.” However, he still wanted to hang out with the mares so he decided to tell one final lie to them. "M-my brother is much better with the cold. Actually, he lives in town, he’d probably love to hang out with all of you.”

“Hmm, um, Cloudy I didn’t know you had a brother.” Fluttershy was now confused by Star’s statement.

“Oh, well, he’s a little shy around mares, but he’s trying to be more friendly with him.” He flashed Fluttershy a wink.

“Oh, I see.” Fluttershy acknowledged what Star was implying.

“So what’s this guy’s name? Does he like flying also?” Dash was excited at the idea of another potential race partner.

“Yeah… though I doubt even he’d be able to keep up with you. Oh and his name’s Star… Star Gazer.” He flashed a nervous smile. “Star’s a, um, family name by the way.”

“Oh! So that’s why Fluttershy was looking for a pony named ‘Star!’” Pinkie suddenly popped between Star and Dash. “I thought you looked a little familiar. I remember when I threw him a ‘new pony in town’ party. He didn’t seem to like it that much. Your brother’s not a grouchy-wouchy is he?”

“No… not anymore at least. He met some really great ponies in town. But he doesn’t get out too much…but he’s working on that. So if you see him around definitely say hello.”

“Ah certainly will,” Applejack came back into the barn; her back was loaded down with more party food. Next to her was a large red stallion that was also carrying more food. “Come to think of it, that name sounds a little familiar, Ah wonder why?” She raised a hoof to her face, pondering the name.

“He often comes by the stand when you’re not there,” came a deep reply from the stallion. “Mighty strange that he never mentioned a sister though.” He now looked over at Star.

“W-well, I always bothered him when he’s a home. You know how sibling be with each other,” Star lied behind his smile. Oh boy, this is gonna be weird.

“Ah know what ya mean, Apple Bloom shows that affection all the time.” He walked a little closer over to Star. “But Ah think ya got a mighty fine brother. Ah remember when he helped out with applebuck season… then again, almost everypony in town helped out that year.”

“Oh yeah!” Star thought back to that applebuck season a few years ago. Applejack had come down with a bad fever, so Big Mac had asked everypony in town to help. Star had never bucked apples before and after that day he wasn’t too fond too the idea. “I still remember all those apple knocking you senseless.” As soon as Star spoke, he realized he shouldn’t have said that.

“Ah remember that, Star nearly knocked me senseless. He’s a good pony, but he ain’t made for apple bucking. Though Ah guess he told ya that part too.” Mac patted his head, recalling the various apples that had thumped him that day.

“Um, yeah,” Star smiled nervously. Crud! I forgot I was the only one with Big Mac at the time. Okay, just gotta play it cool. “My, er, brother still feels a little bad about it.”

“Aw, it’s ok, he had the best intentions.” Big Mac looked around at the party that was in progress and then turned to his sister. “Sis, would ya mind if Ah stayed for a little?”

“Sure,” Applejack gave her brother an odd stare; he wasn’t usually a big party pony. “Ya have been workin hard today and ya even helped with the party, so it’s fine if ya relax a little.” Applejack grabbed Big Mac’s load and trotted off to set up the rest of the food.

Big Mac trotted over to where Star was sitting. “Would ya mind if Ah sat down here?”

“Nah, go right ahead.” There was a little caution in Star’s voice. He’d talked with Big Mac before, so the red stallion might pick up some of his mannerisms. There were a few moments of silence before Big Mac spoke again.

“If ya wouldn’t mind me askin, are ya from town?”

“Oh, um, no. I’m just, er, visiting my brother for a little before I head home.”

“Ah see, shame though, ya seem to have made good friends with ma sister and her pals.”

“Yeah, they really are some great ponies.” Star looked over at the bizarre trio of Pinkie, Dash, and Fluttershy on the faux dance floor. Pinkie had somehow roped the other two into doing a polka dance. Star couldn’t help but laugh at the silliness, although the laugh unintentionally came off as more of a cute giggle.

The red stallion’s ears seemed to prick up a bit at the laugher. “Um… ya wanna join them on the dance floor?” There seemed to be a hint of apprehension in his voice.

“Sure.” Star smiled as he took a quick swig of cider and got up to join the other ponies in dancing. “I’ll warn you though, I’m not the best dancer.” Star thought back to the various times he’d refused to dance at parties due to the danger of being close to mares. In retrospect, it seemed quite silly now.

“Hmm, your brother says the same thing, must run in the family.” Big Mac and Star started dancing on the floor. Star didn’t seem to notice the Big Mac was a little close to him. He was more currently more concerned with dancing. Star danced about as well as Twilight. He even had the “bookworm arm flail” down to a t. “Ya know, ya got some pretty good moves.”

“Heh, now that’s a joke,” Star spoke as he continued his nerdy dance. “I’m probably an insult to the very word ‘dance.’”

“Well…” for some reason red now dotted the stallion’s face, “Ah still think ya look… cute.” He cast his eyes down.

“It’s just that…wait… what?!” Why would he say that about me? I always thought Big Mac like ma- oh... no, you cannot be serious. Dread began creeping into every fiber of Star’s being.

“Aww!” Pinkie exclaimed. “That’s so cute, now I’ll have to throw a ‘filly/coltfriend’ party. Hmm, but Hearts and Hooves Day is coming up though… Oh! I know! We’ll throw a really big super party!”

“Oh, Pinkie dear, I don’t think that’s the best idea.” Rarity had a look of concern on her face. She knew the situation Star was facing and knew this could head south fast.

“Woohoo! Big Mac, never thought I’d hear that come from you!” Dash seemed to be almost as enthusiastic as Pinkie about the situation.

Oh no! No! NO! NOOOO! Anything but this! Sweet Celetia!! Anything but this! Not happening! Not HAPPENING! Star backed up into the wall of the barn, horrified at what was happening: Big Mac thought he was cute. He didn’t notice his coat snag on a part of the wall. “B-b-big Mac, y-y-you got the w-wrong p-p-pony!”

Big Mac stopped. “Oh, A’m mighty sorry. I jumped the gun didn’t Ah…” He cast his eyes down trying to hide his still-red face. “A’m sure your brother could tell ya A’m not the best with mares… Ah still think you’re a mighty cute mare though.”

Star’s eyes went crooked for a second. Big Mac was a friend, a stallion friend. I need to get this fixed now! I gotta get to Twilight! “You know, I think it’s getting a little late, so I might wanna go!” He made his way to the barn’s exit, but was stopped by a sudden ripping sound. He and Rarity had nearly the same look of horror on their faces as the coat ripped in two and fell on to the ground. The star partially covered by a cloud was now fully visible on Star’s flank.

“Oh Celestia! This is the worst. Possible. THING!” Rarity grieved over the ruined coat. All the ponies’ attention was now on Star.

“Oh no,” Fluttershy whimpered.

“Shoot, Ah thought that was a fine coat too.” Applejack frowned.

“Well… you’ll, um, have less wind resistance flying now.” Dash tried to find a silver lining in the situation.

“Ooh, are we playing a ‘take off your coat’ game? I love that one… but I don’t have coat on me right now.” Pinkie seemed to be the only pony that was delighted at the ruined fabric.

Star just stood there mortified at what was happening. Everything had been going fine: he’d made friends, he’d been talking with mares, and he’d even promised them he’d say hello again. But now, now it was over. Maybe if I run they won’t be able to put it together. However, he was stopped dead in his tracks by Big Mac’s next words. “Wait a minute, that there cutie mark looks awfully familiar. Guess that explains wh-” He was cut off by the brown pegasus zooming past him.

“Please don’t tell anypony!” Star screamed as he blasted out of the barn towards the library. “TWILIGHT!!!!!!”

Big Mac and the rest of the ponies just stood there, not sure what to make of the situation. “Shoot! Ah scared her! Ah was just gonna say her cutie mark looked a little like her brother’s. A’m really sorry sis.” He flashed an apologetic glance at Applejack.

“Nah, it’s fine. Ah get the feelin Cloudy’s more a flight than fight mare. She’s probably just not used to a stallion being so direct.”

“Still, Ah feel pretty awful about this mess.” He looked over at the ruined coat.

“Please,” Dash waved off any worries, “I’m sure she’ll cheer up once she gets a good flight in.”

“I think it might be more than that.” Rarity levitated the coat pieces over, saddened by the coat’s destruction.

“Oh… I’m really worried… he’s had to deal with so much stress lately.” Fluttershy nervously looked over at the open door.

“Wonder why she went over to Twilight’s though. She’s probably the last pony that would know anything about that sort of stuff.” Dash also looked out the door, once more impressed by Star’s speed. “Wait… did you just say ‘he’?”

“Um… no, you must have misheard me over all the commotion he caus- eep!” Fluttershy immediately covered her mouth with her hooves.

“Why do you keep saying he? Fluttershy, what’s going on?” Dash was now staring down her pegasus friend.

“Really Dash, I’d have thought you’d know not to be so crass with Fluttershy.” Rarity magicked the azure pony away from Fluttershy. “Besides, she’s right, he really had been going through a lot over the past fe… oh dear.” Rarity realized she’d let her tongue slip.

“Fluttershy Ah can understand slipping up a word here and there, but when both of ya start messin up the same word something is up.” Applejack was now getting suspicious as well.

“Yeah, just what’s going on here?” The two ponies advanced toward the unicorn and the pegasus.

“Ooh! Is it a surprise? ‘Cause if it is, don’t tell me! I want it to still be a surprise.” Pinkie randomly popped up between the four ponies.

Rarity realized she couldn’t outrun the energetic trio that was advancing upon her. She gave a silent apology to Star and then opened her mouth. “It’s a bit of a long story…”

~~~

Dusk was just beginning to fall as Star rushed over to the library. He prayed Twilight had found a cure by now.