• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 536 Views, 11 Comments

The Classroom - Astiam300



One messy classroom, one substitute teacher, and one lesson soon to be learned.

  • ...
0
 11
 536

The Classroom

Noise, noise and shrieks were the only things that one could hear from the inside of that old classroom at the end of the hallway. Some, were full of happiness, some, were full of frustration, and others, were made out of simple leisure.

Yelling for the sake of yelling.

Just another day.

Ough... Why did I take this job?...

The substitute teacher complained quietly at her desk as she rubbed her temples. It has been like this for at least thirty minutes --maybe forty-- but it felt like an eternity for her. She tried to teach, she tried to start well, good, but she couldn’t. It was supposed to be just another day at the classroom but no, it couldn’t be. It was mere chaos. How she got there was chaos, a blur of memories, she remembered how the original teacher recommended her to not attempt such a huge challenge. “They’re not easy to handle”

...Oh boy she was right...

The teacher cleared her thoughts and looked up for a second to actually look at the view in front of her and not just hear it. To her dismay the scenery hasn't changed at all.

That student on the front row is still annoying her sister... That colt over there is still eating the crayons... Those fillies are still gossiping about that 'blank flank'...

They really never end don't they?

She inhaled as much air as she could and sighed.

"Class." - She finally said on a neutral but strong tone.

A paper airplane that impacted her head was the only answer.

Ouch!

She rubbed his forehead, frowned, and got to her hooves.

"Class!!" - She stomped a hoof on the ground.

"Shut up! We're playing!!" - A high pitched voice answered from inside the crowd.

The teacher groaned, and walked to the blackboard. There was a list of topics to review written on the side. She looked puzzled when she reached the last topic.

'Theory of the Magic Interaction'? That's kinda advanced for- Oh, right... Canterlot is Canterlot...

She looked again at the kids, and yet again, every single of them was doing absolutely nothing.

Or at least nothing productive.

She thought.

Then, after a slow pacing around on front of the group of kids, she started examining every student. She needed something, anything that she could use as an excuse to regain control, something, anything. One scene in particular caught her attention.

"You're nothing blank flank"

There were three little fillies on one of the corners of the room. The teacher focused her attention on them and narrowed her eyes.

"That's not true!"

One of them had a white coat with a grey mane, another one --who seemed as the older of the trio-- had a light orange coat and mane. The two of them were surrounding the last one.

One small purple unicorn.

"Yeah right,” - Spoke the orange filly - ”you know that better than I do, you have no talents, you have no friends, you only have those stupid books"

The filly with a slight grimace on her face took with her magic the book that the other unicorn was holding.

"What is this?" - The teacher tried to distinguish the book title as the bully glanced some pages, her efforts were in vain. - "What the hay is this?"

"Not of your business! Give it back!"

The purple filly jumped to get her book, but failed desperately... And repeatedly.

“Give it back!”

“Ow... Bo-ho-ho...”

She doesn't seem to have a very well developed magic capacity, maybe that's why she's not trying to get her book back with her own magic counteracting the other...

“Give it back!” - The purple filly kept jumping.

After some small thoughts inside the teacher’s head, she finally found her voice.

"Hey!! You!! The one with the book!" - She yelled as hard as she could.

The bully, hearing the teacher’s yell, instantly released the book of her magic letting the purple filly grab it. Then, the bully pointed at her classmate holding the book on her mouth.

"I wasn't born yesterday you know?"

"He was!" - She pointed at a really small colt at the other side of the classroom, with his mouth full of colors he looked back at the bully and then to the teacher with an innocent look. Laughter filled the classroom.

"You! Outside!"

“Aw... Okay”

The bully spoke a few words with her friend chuckling and then trotted to the door. All the class suddenly quieted. Only the wind passing through the windows were heard, and the distant whispers coming from the outside.

The teacher could finally felt a pinch of relief, just a pinch, but it was enough for her to recover confidence.

The teacher pointed her hoof at the door. - “Leave”

Some of the students started to whisper as the teacher maintained her position. The filly, looked at the door with a plain look on her face, and then, laughed as if nothing had happened and left.

With a smile on her face. A smile.

As if nothing, at all, had happened.

The teacher always found this fact difficult to bear. Who the hell raises their child to be like this? She did not know. And honestly, she didn’t even wanted to know.

The teacher closed the door with her magic and then stood tightly in front of the classroom, hoping that she could finally regain control. Well, she never had any control though.

She looked back at the list behind her for a few seconds to check it, and then, turned back at the students. She gave a slight sigh and began.

“Today we are going to rev-” - Or at least she tried...

The noise revived in front of her. Noise. Noise was the only thing that she could think about.

Please not this again...

“Class!” - She yelled

The ponies ignored her.

“Class!!!” - She yelled again, louder.

And again the ponies ignored her. Some ponies were playing with each other, some even brought their own hoof-balls... Chaos.

She was beginning to lose control of herself.

CLASS!!!!

She felt the cold shivers on her back, the sweat on her head. She began breathing heavily. She looked side to side, to the windows, to the door, to her desk. She had nothing else to do. She needed something. It was too much, too much, she wanted to just...

STOP!!

“Shut up and go to cry to your mom!”

...My ‘mom’?

“My mom was a teacher as well...” - The teacher fell to the floor and sat defeated.

And the noise, continued before her.

After a few minutes, the teacher slowly stood up, and focused her magic on the eraser. She raised it, and then hit it with the blackboard forcefully.

BAM!!!

She looked back at the now shocked students with wet eyes and lumped throat, and spoke softly.

“If anypony in this room wants to leave...” - She gave a long pause. - “Leave”

The students began to look hesitantly at each other not believing what they just heard. Was it true? They could go away just like that? They could finally go away?

The teacher remained silent with her gaze fixed on the floor. Her small tears began to fall and small sobs began to appear when she heard not one or two students, but almost her entire class leave the classroom. The chairs moving, the littles hooves moving around and trotting outside, the laughs and chats. The laughs. She couldn't even lift her head to check if everyone has left.

Moments later the room fell into a dead silence.

...

...

Wait.

The teacher's ear twitched at the sound of a sheet of paper being moved. She raised her head and looked in front of her.

And there she was.

The small purple unicorn.

"W-what are you doing?... Why are you not outside?"

"H-huh? Um, I-I thought we were gonna study"

The teacher stood up and walked to the purple unicorn. Her tears began to dry as she walked.

"What is your name?"

"T-twilight, miss."

"Sparkle?"

"Yes miss"

"Can I speak to you for a sec?"

"Oh no! Did I did something wrong?! I'm so sorry!"

"Oh no no no..." - She laughed. - "You did nothing wrong my dear"

The teacher sat down next to the purple filly who awkwardly moved her chair to the side. The filly looked bashful.

“See you like to read” - The teacher tilted her head towards the open book that rested on the table.

The filly blinked and then looked at the pages.

“Y-yes miss, but really, i-it’s nothing” - The filly answered nervously. - “I-I-I was just-”

“Wanna read something with me?”

The filly looked back at the teacher.

“Really? Like what?”

“I don’t know... I have some books... Let’s see what you have here... ‘When the magic flux reach the surface of the outermost layer of the-’

The teacher stopped abruptly, shocked, and with wide eyes she looked at the naive looking unicorn, and then to the book.

“Miss?”

“Yes, Twilight”

“Um, could you please explain me better this paragraph over here? I still don’t understand the cloud-pegasi thingy”

“This?” - The teacher pointed at the specified paragraph.

“Yes miss”

The teacher smiled and gently ruffled the filly’s mane.

“Thank you Twilight”

“Huh? Why?”

“Nothing...”

The teacher took a sheet of paper and a quill from one of the tables next to her and levitated them in front of her.

“Let’s begin”

The End

Author's Note:

I once read a interview with ROBCakeran53 here on FIMfiction, and he mentioned that, the best way (for him) to get better at writing is to write for the sake of writing.

"The best, and simplest thing I can prescribe is to just write! Write anything."

And this is exactly what I did.

I hope you liked this little story and hope to see you soon.

See ya'! :D

Ps. And thank you for reading...

Comments ( 10 )

Nicely done on this one. It was a good read and having worked as a substitute a couple of times, I can understand the frustration there. Honestly though, I thought for a minute it was Twilight who was the substitute and not that this was during her time as a student. Well done! :twilightsmile:

1942841
Lol unintended plot twist ftw :rainbowwild:

Glad you liked it! :pinkiehappy:

It was a nice little story. I'll give it that. I really did enjoy it. However, there were grammar issues throughout. I'd suggest running it through MS Word to catch the more obvious ones, or team up with someone to proofread for you. Take these as examples:

Yelling because of the sake of yelling.
Would sound smoother as: Yelling for the sake of yelling.

Why did I took this job?
In order to use the same tenses, "took" should be "take."

How she got there was a chaos
You should get rid of "a" since chaos is not a noun.

There were many others; I'm assuming speed writing to be the cause. Even when you write just to get stuff down, you should always go back and proofread if you're going to post it.

1943215

Hehe, sorry about that. :twilightblush:

But I have to clarify something, I am not a native english speaker so it's difficult for me to have perfect grammar, even more when I'm trying to do something all by myself. Besides, I've been working on this story for at least a week. So I dunno, I personally discard the speed writing xD

Anyway, thank you for reading my story and thanks a lot for the grammar advice! :twilightsmile:

1942920
Unintended twists are some of the best :twistnerd:

This was rather good. :twilightsmile:

Some small errors, like 'took' instead of 'take', one or two places that could use some clearing up, but that's mostly just background noise.

Where you succeed is in the feelings of the scene, of a teacher helpless in the face of idiot parents doing nothing to corral and discipline their kids. All that stress and heartache...

Well done. :pinkiesmile:

1981707

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH Thank you :twilightsmile:

Ah yes, I love to see that one kid in the class that wants to learn, always puts a little faith in me. I like this story, it really depicted what some classes are like, where no one really cares, and they think learning is for the dumb; how ironic, right? I would like to see you write another story, out of the sheer sake of writing, you might say. I'm interested, please don't let me down.

2023698
Thank you, glad you liked it :twilightsmile:



:ajbemused: ...Ok, writer's block now it's time for you to go away, ok?

Login or register to comment