• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,727 Views, 259 Comments

Balance of the Mind and Body - Swift Blaze



Ever wonder if that Mayan Calendar prediction actually came true? What the world be like if everyone panic? Then come and read the following tale of a human that this happens to.

  • ...
91
 259
 6,727

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 54: We're off to the Gala!, Part 2

Author's Note:

THIS IS IT! WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!

A BRAND NEW CHAPTER!

Please, enjoy the chapter and let me know in the comments of what you thought.

This was proofread by, Darksoul85.

"Behold, mares and gentlecolts, our transportation to the Grand Galloping Gala," Blaze said with one hand gesturing to it. Al was on the other side, mirroring the motion.

The first pony to speak was Fluttershy. She said, "Oh my."

"What is it?" Applejack asked.

"I've never seen anything like this. Even in Canterlot." Twilight said.

"OHHH! Shiny!" Pinkie shouted, all happy.

"Are those real diamonds?!" Rarity said with her eyes big as ever.

Cancer asked, "Where did you come up with that design?"

"We never saw anything like that in our travels," Dragon added.

Fang said, "Even I don't know what to make of it."

"It looks spectacular!" Colorful Sparks said.

Star Dust asked, "The two of you built that in the basement? And only in five days?"

"Very impressive," Lightning Trails said.

Finally, Rainbow Dash said, "How fast does it go?"

Let me introduce the very first, steam-powered, automobile," Blaze said.

With the cloud gone, what the humans revealed was a long, white, carriage style vehicle. There was no hookup in the front for ponies to hitch up to and pull. The driver's cab was enclosed. The best way to describe it, Model T style stretched out to a limousine length. The body is a glossy white with gems placed in a decorative style. The wheels are made of wood and solid black. It also has spring leaf suspension and tinted windows behind the driver's cab.

"Auto what now?" Applejack said.

"Automobile," Al said slowly. "Meaning, a vehicle that doesn’t require a pony to pull it. Or needing tracks, like the train."

"More specifically, this is also known as a limousine,” said the black hair human. “A fancy vehicle that was used back on Earth to bring humans to big events. Similar to the Gala."

"How does it move? Also, how do you control it?" Twilight asked.

Blaze looked at her and should have expected this. The purple Unicorn had a scroll out in her magic, with a quill and inkwell. "Similar to how a train moves, a boiler gives power to a piston that rotates the back wheels. The front wheels can spin on an axis that is controlled by that wheel inside," he said as he pointed. "It's also known as a 'steering wheel'." A couple of ponies laughed, seeing how obvious that name stands for. "So we don't want to be any later. I’ll go into more detail at the next study session on Monday. Okay, Twilight?"

The mare nodded. With a quick poof of light, the objects disappeared, returning to where they came from.

"Alright everyone, hop into the back. Spike, you're riding up with me," Al said.

"Sweet!" said the dragon.

"Hey! I was going to call shotgun!" Blaze said.

"You have a seat in the back already! How else are we supposed to get some heat to the boiler?"

"We wanted to get the build done fast, I had to be the heat source. Once we find a better way. I get to drive."

"Good. Then you can chauffeur me around."

Blaze transformed into his pony form and stepped into the back. Al closed the double doors. Then, opened the front passenger door for Spike. Finally, he hopped into the driver's side.

"Ok Blaze, bring the heat so we can get moving," said the human.

The red stallion placed his right forehoof onto a small circle that was built into the seat in the back. He channeled his ki into a low energy beam and sent it down the tube. The ponies could hear a piston starting up in the back. Slowly, they were moving, picking up some speed as well.

As the limo was making its way to Canterlot, the ponies inside were looking at everything they have placed in there. Instead of normal seats that would be in there for humans, the ponies sat on very soft cushions, covered with silk. The floor and ceiling were covered with a piece of red velvet fabric. The area around the windows had black transparent curtains that were pulled back. On one side of the vehicle, sat a beautiful piece of furniture made from wood. There were doors there on the sides and top.

“I must say, Swift Blaze, you did a fabulous job in designing this fancy carriage. How in Equestria were you able to buy this material?” Rarity asked.

He responded, “The wood and metal, I used my jutsu to create the frame. As for the fabric. I used most of my pay and bought them in Canterlot. Is everything expensive there?”

“Yes, dear. All the rich and famous ponies either live there or in Manehatten.”

“Glad I decided to plant roots in Ponyville. I don’t think I could afford what the food prices might be.”

Twilight then spoke up, “So, this explains why you were somewhat distracted during our study sessions. How come you didn’t tell me what the two of you were planning?”

Realizing that he didn’t want to spill the beans of knowing these events, the red Unicorn quickly said, “Well, um, we actually didn’t think we would have it ready in time. We had setbacks for the first two days. Trying to come up with the best way to work the steam engine.”

“Guess that explains those small explosions we heard from the basement then,” Dragon said.

“EXPLOSIONS?!” Several ponies said rather loudly.

“It wasn’t anything major!” Blaze sounded defensive. “I might have applied too much heat to the testing boiler. Causing it to burst open and let out all that steam.”

“It was a nice, instant steam room though. Did wonders for my complexion,” Al said.

“Keep your eyes on the road.”

“Aye, aye, Captain. We need more power to climb this mountain.”

“Aye sir, I’ll give her all she got.” Blaze said in a Scottish accent. He increased the output of ki and the vehicle sped up.

Rainbow Dash leaned over to Lightning Trails and whispered, “Do you know why Blaze changed his voice like that?”

“He tried to explain a previous time,” replied the black Pegasus. “Something about mimicking the voice of someone. I didn’t understand the rest though.”

“Oh! He was doing the voice of a man named Scotty,” Pinkie said.

Blaze looked very confused. “How did you know that?”

“Just a hunch.”

The red stallion couldn’t comprehend how Pinkie Pie could have known that. As he was trying to work this in his mind, the ki flow stopped. The limo began to slow down. Al shouted back to Blaze asking what happened to the power. No response came from the red Unicorn. His face was that of total shock. The ponies in the back were wondering what’s going on.

Star Dust was sitting next to Blaze in the back. He shook his shoulder, trying to get a reaction. Nothing. The vehicle slowed down even more. Al tried to maintain control with no power. He put on the brakes and pulled over to the wall side of the mountain. Once the vehicle stopped, Al turned around in his seat and looked into the back. He shouted, “Blaze! Snap out of it!” The human then used his powers and slammed the Unicorn into the roof, then back down onto the floor.

This snapped Blaze out of his mind funk. As he was rubbing his head, Blaze said, “Ow! What the hell, man. What was that for?”

“That’s for stopping the supply of your power to the engine,” the human replied.

“I did?”

“Ya did, sugarcube,” Applejack said.

“Sorry about that. I was trying to figure out how Pinkie Pie knew that when I never mentioned it.”

“Don’t bother,” Twilight began to say. “Remember, I too tried to figure out her Pinkie Senses. I now realize some things can’t really be explained. Especially with Pinkie.”

Blaze nodded. He got back to his seat and resumed supplying his ki to the boiler. Al started to have the limo continue its journey back up the mountain to Canterlot. With the vehicle back in motion, the ponies in the back began to wonder what they should talk about now.

Fang decided to break the silence. “Blaze, do you have anything to drink in here?”

“I sure do. They’re in that ash wood hutch over there,” the stallion said while pointing. “I would get up and pour the drinks. But I’m currently supplying the power to the engine.”

Cancer asked, “Why don’t you use your magic?”

“I never tried to channel magic with one of my other energy sources in the same body. I don’t think this would be a good time to test it out.”

Colorful Sparks then said, “Ok, Blaze, we’ll get our drinks ourselves. One thing though, how do you open it? I don’t see any doors.”

“See my cutie mark engraved on the top in the middle?” The blue stallion got up and walked over to get a better look. He nodded when his eyes found it. “Now, push down on it.”

The Unicorn does so. The emblem did retract in. He released it and it came back up. What happened next shocked and awe at how the hutch was doing it. Two hidden doors on the front spun around to reveal storage shelves that contained mugs and glassware. Offset from the center on the top, two more panels opened. Then from within the hutch, bottles rose up. The bottom stopped a few inches from the top surface to keep them from falling over.

“Blaze, how did you do that? I thought you were not doing any magic?” Twilight asked.

He responded, “I didn’t. That was all mechanically done. I always liked how secret switches would reveal stuff like magic.”

“This what humans must make seeing they can’t do magic. Well, excluding you and Al,” Star Dust said.

The human driver commented, “Hey, Blaze is the only one who can do real magic. I can’t explain the source of where mine comes from. I’m not an egghead like Blaze.”

“You’re an egghead when it comes to vehicle mechanics. I would still be months out, trying to figure out how to even make the engine. Don’t ever sell yourself short. Each one of us is some of an expert in something.”

"You're right. There was no way in hell you could have finished this in time. Even with all your clones."

All the ponies laughed. The limo continued rolling along up the mountainside towards Canterlot. It soon joined up with other carriages that were heading to the Gala. Ponies along the road were wondering where this strange thing came from. Some wondered what famous pony could be in there. The rest wondered where they could get one for themselves.

Canterlot Castle was starting to come into view. All the mare ponies piled to one side to see all the decorations and how everyone else was dressed. Rarity recognized some of her designs on the ponies. There were beautiful banners hanging from the castle. Lanterns were lit and had decorations on their poles.

The limo soon came to a stop in front of a red carpet. Al had aligned it so the back doors were on center with it. Spike hopped out of the vehicle and opened the back doors. Flashes from the bulbs on cameras were going off. The paparazzi were trying to get the best picture of who was in the mysterious vehicle. Blaze allows the mares to walk out first. Each one had a happy and excited look on their faces, realizing they were finally at the most popular event.

Once the mane six had stepped out, the new Royal Guards started their exit of the vehicle. When Al stepped out of the driver's cab, the frequency of flashes increased. He put a big smile on as he waved to the ponies. The group could hear some of them shouting questions to the human. Al didn’t say anything as he stood on one side of the opened doors. Blaze was the last one to exit it. His face looked like those rich folks that think they deserve this attention.

Al and Spike closed the doors to the limo. Blaze stomped his right forehoof on the ground. He channeled the sealing jutsu in that hit. The white vehicle quickly was engulfed in a white cloud. Once gone, what sat in its place was the scroll it came from. Blaze used his magic and picked it up and stored it in an inner pocket of the jacket.

Al leaned over to the red stallion and whispered, "You don't want the valet to park it?"

Blaze responded, "How can they? They don't know how to operate it. Plus I'm its fire source.”

The human chuckled at the thought of them trying to get it going. When he turned his attention back ahead, he saw the mane six were doing their musical number. All the other ponies around were also singing during the choir parts. The team followed behind them as they sang into the entrance. Once the number was done. Everyone scattered to do what they came to, leaving Spike, Al, and Blaze by themselves.

"Guess it's just us then," said the dragon.

"Nope. I'm off to the buffet table. Want to try all the fancy food they have out," replied the human. He then dashed off himself.

Spike then asked Blaze, "What’s he expecting to be there?"

"Probably something for humans. Most likely something with meat. He's going to get a rude awakening."

"Yea, most everything they serve at these events has some sort of flower in them. I never even heard them having any gem embedded pastries for us dragons."

"Well, sorry to leave you, Spike. I'm off to go and mingle. We'll meet up later. Sounds like a plan?"

"Sure," replied the little dragon, sounding disappointed. "Go and do what you plan on doing." He then walked off with his head and tail hung low.

The red stallion was sad to see him like this, but he didn't want to change what's going to happen, much.

After the main doors the ponies entered, it led to a big entrance area. There were several corridors and hallways on the main floor that led to different parts of the castle. In the back, there was a stairway that led up to a landing. It then splits off to continue heading up to the next floor.

When Twilight spotted the pony that was standing on the landing, she quickly ran to greet her mentor, Princess Celestia. On the way up the stairs, the purple Unicorn passed by other ponies that were walking up the steps at a formal, slow pace. She was too excited to see her teacher again. All the things the mare wanted to discuss was filling her with excitement.

At the landing, Twilight quickly said, "Princess Celestia!"

The white Alicorn looked down to see who called out her name. Once she saw who it was, she said, "Twilight! It's so lovely to see my star student."

"Oh, I'm so excited to be here! We have so much to catch up on."

Princess Celestia smiled. "Well, I want you right by my side the entire evening, so we'll have plenty of time together."

The Unicorn quickly moved to stand beside her teacher. "That's just what I was hoping you'd say," she said with a smile to her.

---Elsewhere---

Star Dust was quickly making his way through the castle to the guest wing. He couldn’t wait to see his little sis, Flower Dust. He last spoke to her the day when he was assigned to be posted in Ponyville. The stallion promised her that he will be back to bring her to the Gala.

The Unicorn guard quickly rounded the corner and soon came upon the doors to her room. He quickly caught his breath before slowly opening the door. Star Dust peeked inside to try and spot his sister. She was out on the balcony with his telescope, looking at the night sky. She was an Earth filly with a teal color body and soft blue mane. Her cutie mark has not shown up yet, but that didn't bother her. How many fillies can state they got to live in the castle? Not many. Flower Dust knew it would come when she finally discovers what her special talent is.

Using the latest training from Swift Blaze, Star Dust snuck into the room without making a sound. He kept close to the walls and big objects that he could hide behind. The training worked as Flower Dust didn’t hear or see him. He managed to get behind her and waited for the right moment.

The filly picked her head up from the eyepiece and looked up at the big night sky. Just as she did this, Star Dust raised his forehooves and covered her eyes from behind. “Guess who?” he asked.

“Starry! You’re back!” Flower Dust cried out. She turned around and dove into a big hug around his neck. The stallion returned the hug as he placed his forehooves around her body. "I missed you big brother."

"I missed you too, little sis. I told you I was coming back soon," Star Dust said.

They broke the hug and moved back inside to some cushions. "You did promise that. And you have never broken a single one. It's just not as fun without you being around. The guards here are all boring and don't want to play with me."

"Hey, your bro is also a guard, remember?"

"I do." Flower Dust then looked at what he was wearing. "Wow, Starry, you look very fancy in that. Why are you in it?"

"I'm in my formal wear for the Gala."

"That's tonight!? I wish I could go."

"Well, I'm here to bring you to it. Want to show you the Canterlot Gardens at night."

"Really! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!" Flower Dust then jumped at him again to give another hug. "Wait! I don't have any fancy clothes to wear to it."

"Yes, you do." The Unicorn used his magic to pull a package out of his saddlebag. "A beautiful filly like you also needs a beautiful dress to wear."

The teal Earth pony grabbed the gift and took the lid off. Inside was the most amazing dress she had ever seen. Star Dust levitated it out so his sister could get a better look at it. The dress was white and had sparkling flowers arranged around the neck. At the center of each flower was a gem. There was also glitter across it, making it sparkle out like the night sky.

Flower Dust was tearing up a bit at what his brother was letting her wear on this special night. "Oh, Star Dust, it's so pretty. I don't know what to say. How in Equestria could you afford this?"

"While stationed in Ponyville, I met a pony that loves to make dresses named Rarity. When I told her who it was for and when she insisted on making this for this special night. I asked how much for it, she said for a filly with a great brother, no charge."

"I want to meet her and thank her personally!"

"Then let's get you into your dress and head down to the party."

"OH! All the other fillies are going to be jealous that I got to go to The Grand Galloping Gala."

The stallion helped her sister into her dress. Once on, they left the room and headed back down to the main hall.

Cancer, Dragon, and Fang walked into the main hall where everyone was gathering. They held their heads high and proud to show how they looked as Royal Guards. Cancer and Dragon were feeling on the inside the excitement and attention that is about to come to them. Fang, on the other hoof, never really liked being out in the open. Her previous job did involve working in the shadows.

As the three Zebras walked down the red carpet that was in the middle of the room, they looked around to see which pony was going to congratulate them on becoming a Royal Guard. None of the noble ponies turned their attention away from the ones they were having conversations with.

"The night's still young. I'm sure these ponies will soon crowd around us. Asking lots of questions," Dragon said.

Cancer replied, "You're right. More ponies are still coming in. Let's stand over there and see who will come to us first."

They made their way over to a side wall section that was currently empty. As the ponies made their way over, Fang thought, ”'I'll be happy staying out of the center of the attention.”

Out in the gardens, Fluttershy entered through the gate. Her eyes were wide open, filled with joy. She couldn't wait to see all the different animals that live in the gardens of Canterlot Castle. As the yellow mare happily trotted through the grass, she began to hear an interesting chirping coming from a bird.

The yellow Pegasus quickly looked around for where the bird was. When her eyes spotted it, she said, "Oh my! A Meadowlark!"

The bird took off and the mare quickly followed. The Meadowlark got out of her sight as she rounded a bush. Being disappointed about losing it, she began to turn back around and head back to the party. Her ears soon heard a whistling sound of a melody.

"I think she's calling to me. It's exactly what I wished for!" Fluttershy said in a soft, yet excited voice. She soon began to hum the same tune as she began to track down the source.

Elsewhere in the garden, Star Dust was leading his little sister over to a special place he heard of from other guards. According to them, the Grand Galloping Gala is always determined to occur when a special flower in the garden would be at peak bloom.

As they were walking, Flower Dust said to her brother, "Big bro, where are you taking me?"

The blue stallion responded, "Something magical. From what I heard, it only happens on the night of the Gala."

"What is it! What is it!" She said while jumping with joy.

"You'll see when we get there. Let's hurry up so we don't miss it."

The two picked up the pace as they went deeper into the garden.

Back inside the castle, a white Unicorn mare was looking around for a certain pony. As she looked around at the different groups of ponies in different areas around the room, her eye finally spotted him. He too was a white Unicorn. His mane and tail were a bright yellow. As he was walking out the door to the gardens, he turned his head back toward the room. The bright blue Unicorn eyes looked in the direction where Rarity was standing.

The mare squealed with excitement as she began to chase after him. She softly talked to herself as she ran. "Hurry Rarity." The mare then went from a run to a strolling speed. "Oh, but not too fast." She then picked up the pace. "But don't want to lose him." The speed went to a halt as the white Unicorn said, "WAIT! Have to play it cool." The mare then back to a normal walking speed. "Oh, but don't be cold. I can't lose him, I can't! He's everything I imagined!"

Rarity looked over the garden to try and find his dream stallion. As she spotted him, he turned his head back again. His face showed a smooth smile and half-opened eyelids. The eyebrows wiggled as he looked towards her.

Rarity said under her breath, "Even better than imagined."

Over in an open area of the garden, Applejack was pushing her mobile vendor cart. Once she saw it was in a good place to sell her apple treats, the orange Earth mare gave the cart a slight kick. It scooted a few feet before springing to life as it opened. The lid split in the middle and swung open to the sides. Shelving popped up displaying some of the nice goodies the Apple family makes and sells. Lastly, two flags popped up on top with a nice red apple on it.

Just as Applejack walked behind her cart, a light blue Pegasus stallion in a flight suit uniform was walking up.

Applejack said to her first customer, "Howdy, partner. You hungry?"

The Pegasus said, "Like a horse."

"Well, whatcha hankering for?" Applejack then pointed to each item as she called them out. "Caramel apple? Apple pie? Apple fritters? Apple fries?"

He pointed with his hoof to what he really wanted. "I'll take that big apple pie!"

He took some bits out and dropped them into the bucket that was in the middle of the cart. Applejack hooved over the pie and thanked him. He took it with his mouth and began to walk away.
"Yee-haw! In the first minute, I made my first sale. Just like I expected," she said. Now, the mare waits for the next customer to come in the next minute.

Elsewhere in the castle, in the main event hall, Lightning Trails and Rainbow Dash were scanning over the crowd. They were looking for the VIP section where their favorite flyers are supposed to be. Lightning spotted it first and pointed it out to Rainbow. The two pegasi began to make their way to the roped-off area where the Wonderbolts were hanging out. They finished another amazing performance outside of the castle.

"How do you think we can get in there?" Rainbow asked. "There are Royal Guards at each post. It would be too obvious to just fly over them and get caught."

"Relax, Dash, "Lightning Trails began to say. "I'm sure I can convince one of them to allow us in. Being a Royal Guard myself should grant me access."

"You better be sure. I don't want to be tossed out on our flanks for trying to get in there. Don't you know the level of embarrassment that would create? I'll be a laughing stock!" the blue Pegasus said as she started to panic.

The black Pegasus placed a hoof on her shoulder and said, "Calm down. You’re overthinking. If we can't get in, more than likely they will just turn us away."

"Yea. I guess you're right. Oh, look! There’s Spitfire and Soarin! The Co-Captains of the Wonderbolts!"

Over by the entrance to the roped-off VIP area, stood a yellow mare Pegasus. She was wearing the flight suit of the Wonderbolts. She was looking around and saw her teammate was approaching her. In his mouth, he was holding a whole apple pie as he walked over.

She said to him, "Always hungry after a show. Eh Soarin?"

The stallion responded with, "Heh. Yeah." As he did, he lost his grip on his pie and it began to fall to the ground. "MY PIE!"

Rainbow saw the pie was falling. She took off flying towards it through the crowd in order to catch his meal. The rainbow mane Pegasus was able to make it in time and catch it before it landed on the ground. Lightning Trails was walking quickly through the crowd of ponies to catch up.

As Rainbow hovered off the ground, holding Soarin's pie, he said to her, "You saved it. Thanks."

Rainbow replied while acting cool, "Hey, no prob."

She hoofed the pie over as Lightning Trails arrived next to her. He said, "Rainbow, tomorrow, I want you to teach me how you were able to move through the crowd with ease."

"Sure thing."

"Hey, I know you," Spitfire said as she pointed to Lightning.

"You, know, me?" He asked as he pointed to himself. "You sure you got the right Pegasus?"

The Wonderbolt Captain nodded. "You are the Pegasus that just passed the Royal Guard Training. I heard you did some amazing things during the tournament from some other guards."

"Thanks. That means so much that you liked what you heard."

"Maybe some other time, you can demonstrate those unique abilities of yours."

"I would like that," Lightning said as he started to blush a little.

"Are you coming in to join us in the VIP area?"

"I'm allowed in there?"

"Of course. Any Royal Guard not on duty is allowed to go in there. They can also bring another pony with them. Didn't you know?"

Lightning Trails was now feeling like an idiot for not checking prior to coming. He and Rainbow also feel foolish for thinking of trying to sneak in there. "I'm still new to this."

"I understand. Let's head on over. You comin Soarin, or do you want some alone time with your pie?"

He shook his head no while still holding onto the pie with his mouth. Spitfire leads the group to the entrance.

As they headed in Rainbow whispered to Lightning. "It's so awesome that Spitfire wants a personal demonstration. She’ll get to see my moves this spring at the Young Flyers Competition," she said.

"The way you moved through the crowd, I'm sure you are going to win it. Let's hoof it so we can spend as much time as possible with them tonight," the black stallion replied.

The two followed the co-captains in, holding back the urge to go all fan crazy.

Elsewhere in the main room, stood a pink Earth pony mare and her friend, a blue Unicorn stallion. They were looking over the entire room. Letting their eyes take in what kind of a party these fancy ponies have.

Pinkie Pie then said in her excited way, "The shiny dance floor. . ."

Colorful Sparks added in the same tone, "The pretty party ponies."

"The fancy band. SHINY!"

"PRETTY!"

"FANCY!"

"Come on Pinkie, LET'S DANCE!"

The two excited ponies quickly made it to the supposed dance area. They began to sing a song expressing how happy they are to be at the Grand Galloping Gala. Pinkie and Colorful Sparks danced around the room as they sang. When they finished singing a high note, the two noticed the band had stopped playing. The ponies around were glaring at them for such indecent behavior.

They then whispered the last line between themselves, "It's all we've ever . . . dreamed?"

In another part of the castle, Swift Blaze was walking down the hallway to the throne room. He guessed that was where Luna was during the night events were happening. As the red Unicorn went around the corner, he saw two guards standing in front of the massive doors to the room.

The red Unicorn approached the guards and said, "Captain Swift Blaze, requesting an audience with Princess Luna."

They nodded and opened the doors for him. Inside the room, Princess Luna was sitting on the throne. Her face was that of boredom. As she sighed, her eyes looked towards to see who was coming in.
The frown on the Princess's face changed to a smile as she recognized who it was. "Good evening, Captain Blaze. What brings you here instead of attending the Gala with my sister?" she asked.

"Hello, Princess. I'm not a guard tonight. So please, call me Blaze," he replied when he finished approaching the bottom steps that lead to the throne.

"Very well. As long as you call me Luna."

"But of course. As to your question, I could ask you the same thing."

"We, I mean I, thought it was better to stay here. Take care of the Night Court. Just in case there is someone that has an issue they want me to address."

Blaze looked at the blue Alicorn, taking in that isn’t the real reason. "Luna, I take that is what you told your sister. Now then, what is the REAL reason why you are not attending an event, a night, in the Canterlot Castle?"

Princess of the Night averted her eyes away from the red stallion. Trying to hide her feelings as to why. "Am I that easy to read?"

"Luna, I know you are afraid of what the nobles are going to think of you after being gone for so long. You have to let them get to see the real you if you want to have them not be scared of you."

Luna turned her face towards Blaze. A couple of tears have escaped from her eyes. She wiped them away before saying, "Thank you Blaze, I needed that. I think I shall attend."

"Then allow me the honor to escort you," he said as he bowed to her.

"No, the honor will be mine."

Luna got off the throne and walked down the steps towards Blaze. He had stopped bowing and turned around to face the doors. She stood on his right side as they began to leave the throne room and headed to the main hall where the Gala occupied.

As they walked, Blaze said, "I can tell you, Luna, tonight will be a night no pony will forget."

"Why would you say that?" She asked.

"Oh, just a hunch," he said as he smiled.

Back in the main hall, Al was looking over the buffet tables. Trying to find where the meat was. All he found were fancy things that had flower parts mixed in with it. Absolutely nothing the human could digest.

A server pony walked up to him and said, "May I help you, sir?"

Al responded in a calm, low tone, "Yes, mind telling me where the Hors d'oeuvre are for humans?"

"Excuse me?"

"You know, the ones that have no flowers. They have meat instead."

The pony's face went scared and ran away.

Al shouted, "You could have just said no!" He looked back at what was available again to eat. Seeing nothing he decided to hit Applejack’s stand that was outside.

Out in the garden, Rarity found a rose bush with a beautiful red rose. As she was smelling it, a white Unicorn stallion approached and said, "Well, hello." The mare looked up and couldn't believe who it was. "I am Prince Blueblood." He finished saying. He put a big smile on anyone to be impressed with.

The Unicorn mare regained herself quickly enough to respond. "I am . . . Rarity." She said as she bashed her eyelashes at him. Her gaze returned back to the single rose. "Oh my, what a lovely rose."

Prince Blueblood bent down and picked the rose from the bush. Rarity’s face was filled with excitement as she was hoping he was going to hoof that rose to her.

He said, "You mean . . . this rose?" as he showed it in front of her. Rarity nodded her head.

In quick fashion, the Prince trimmed the rose. Instead of giving it to the mare, he placed it on himself. "Thank you. It goes with my eyes."

Rarity sighed a bit like the dream moment passed by, never expecting that to happen.

Elsewhere in the garden, Fluttershy continued to hum to the tune of the source of the whistle. When she thought she was close, the mare happily said, "My little meadowlark is right around this bend!"

When her eyes finally saw the source of the whistle, it was not what she was expecting. Instead of a little bird, she was thinking, it was a brown Earth stallion. He was holding a rake and was busy gathering some fallen leaves. The tune continued to be whistled from him as he worked.

The yellow Pegasus timidly asked, "Was that you?"

The stallion responded with, "Yep! I love whistlin' while I work." He whistled the tune as he continued to rake the leaves away.

Embarrassed, Fluttershy said as she tried to hide her face with her mane, "Oh! Yes . . . Well . . . excuse me."

As the yellow mare walked away, her head was low to the ground. She then heard various animal sounds. When her eyes looked at the source, her sad face was replaced with a very happy one.

Over in the distance, various animals have gathered around a couple of trees. They were running around the trunk, sitting on some branches, or flying around the trees themselves. Fluttershy was calling out the names of some of the new animals she has never met before. She quickly took to the air to close the distance to them. The animals saw and heard her approaching and scattered in different directions before the mare landed.

Seeing the animals had run off, the Pegasus said to herself, "Oh, Fluttershy. You're such a loudmouth."

In another part of the garden, Star Dust was looking around to get his bearings on where he and his sister were. The two were distracted by the night sky.

"Big bro, I think we're lost," Flower Dust said with a sad face.

"We can't be lost,” he replied. “I followed that guard's direction to the letter. Give me a sec and I will find out exactly where we are."

He closed his eyes and sent magic to his horn. The stallion established a connection to the stars. Being night time, his power is higher. This allowed the Unicorn a better view from the stars above.

Once he saw where they were, he thanked the stars and severed the connection. "Alright. We're almost there. First, a left, then a right, and finally straight to our target," he said.

His sister responded as an excited filly, "Let's get going!"

Just as the two were about to get moving, a bunch of animals crossed in front of them in a rush. When the path was cleared, Star Dust looked in the direction they came from. "Wonder what startled them?" He asked.

"I don't know. Maybe they are running to that yellow Pegasus mare you mentioned," Flower Dust replied.

Back in the main hall of the Gala, in the VIP section, it was starting to get a little crowded. With so many conversations happening, anyone couldn't listen to a conversation that was happening nearby. Two ponies were having a hard time trying to get through the mob packed VIP area.

Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash were squeezing and pardoning themselves through the others that were there. They are trying to get back with Spitfire and Soarin. Finally done with the last blocking ponies, the two pegasi were now standing in the open area where the Wonderbolt Captains' occupied.

The blue mare trotted over to Spitfire. The black stallion was soon to follow. When she was standing next to the mare Captain, Rainbow said, "Hey, Spitfire! You ever have done a rain cloud double backflip" Tring to say over the other conversations happening.

Spitfire didn't respond. She was looking straight ahead to the stallion that was telling her a story.
Not giving up, Rainbow moved over by Soarin. She said to him, "You ever soared past lightning? It's AWESOME!"

Again, no response came from the pony she was talking to. Soarin just walked away as he spotted someone in a different direction.

Lightning Trails walked next to Rainbow and said to her, "Look, Dash. They’re major celebrities. I know you want to hang out with them. Everyone else in this area wants to also."

The blue Pegasus didn't respond. She scrunched her nose as the mare decided that she would go and make them notice her.

Back in the main hall entrance, Princess Celestina and Twilight Sparkle were standing on the stair landing. The white Alicorn was greeting all the guests that have come to the Gala. Every time Twilight thought she would have a chance to inform her mentor, another pair of ponies would walk up to get greeted. The purple Unicorn looked down the stairs and saw a good size line had formed to be greeted by the Princess. The purple mare sighed and said to herself, "Looks like getting a chance to talk to the Princess is going to be a magic trick itself."

Elsewhere in the Gala, the new Zebra guards were still standing by the wall. The area around them has opened up as if the other ponies were trying to avoid them.

Fang decided to make her way to the area where they had drinks and hors d'oeuvres. As she waited to get a glass of the drink they were serving, she was overhearing a conversation from a couple of mares that were nearby.

"Have you read about the latest recruits that graduated from the Royal Guard Training?" A Unicorn mare with a light purple mane and pastel purple coat said.

The other mare has a pastel yellow coat and brown mane. She too is a Unicorn. This mare responded, "I know, I was surprised to read that three of them are not from Equestria."

"The ambassador from their country must have convinced the Princess to allow them in."

"They must be running low on recruitments if they allowed this mismatch set to pass."

"I'm grateful that they’re not going to be posted here in Canterlot. Those stripes on their bodies won't hide with the magic armor the guards wear. It can only change the coat color so they all match the squad they're in."

"I agree. I hope they get posted to the edge of Equestria and never seen from again."

The two mares were laughing in a fancy tone between themselves. Fang was doing her best to remain calm. She imagined turning around and beat them unconscious for their remarks. But the Zebra guard kept her cool.

She picked up a glass of the punch and started to head back to her brothers.

Just as Fang passed behind those two mares, she quickly sent out her blade and sliced their tails off like butter. What was left was stub short.

Fang smiled as the blade went hidden again. She soon spotted the Zebra siblings, where she left them. The mare was also happy that they didn't get into any trouble.

When Cancer saw Fang returning, he quickly elbowed Dragon and pointed to her. They saw the smile on her face as she approached. "What's got you in a good mood?" Cancer asked.

"Oh, just liking this punch they are serving," she replied.

A few seconds later, two loud screams were heard. They were followed by, "MY TAIL! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY TAIL!"

The three Zebras spotted two mares running at full speed out of the hall. Dragon turned towards Fang and asked, "Did you have something to do with that?"

Fang sipped some of her punch for a few seconds. "Good punch," she said.

"I thought you told us to not get into trouble?" Cancer asked.

"I did tell you that."

"Then how come you did that?" Dragon asked.

"If either of you tried to do that, you would’ve been caught. I wasn't." Fang then finished her punch as she recalled how embarrassing those two mares looked as they ran out.

Back in the garden, Applejack stood behind her apple cart. She was counting the minutes as they went by. Hoping to get a sale a minute like she dreamed of. Sad to say, the orange mare only made one sale since she set up her cart.

Pinkie Pie and Colorful Sparks sat next to a table back in the Gala hall. Both were sad with the turn of events this party has turned out. All these fancy ponies are doing is mingling with each other and listening to some classy music.

Each pony of the mane six were getting depressed as this night they've dreamed of since they were fillies hasn't turned out as they wanted. Realizing the night was still young, they were now determined to make it how they wanted. What could possibly go wrong?

Fluttershy was putting the last finishing touches on a harmless trap to capture a little animal. The design was basic as it could get. A box being propped up with a stick. Underneath it was a tasty carrot. Happy with how it looks, the yellow mare picked up the string that was tied to the stick. She quickly scrammed out of the area.

Once out of sight, the yellow Pegasus said, "I'm so sorry to have scared you, my friends!" Her voice was louder than normal so the animals could hear her. "But I'm leaving now, so you can all come out!"

Once the mare heard the sounds of the carrot being eaten, she quickly pulled on the string. "Gotcha!" Fluttershy cried out in joy. She walked up to the trap to see what creature had set it off. Her head was low to the ground. Her voice was soft as she said to it, "It's ok. I promise not to hurt you. I just want to be your . . . friend?" In the last part, she raised her head as she was surprised to see what was in the box.

It was no animal creature that was eating the carrot. It was the gardener pony she met earlier. As he finished the treat, the stallion said, "Mmm. Sounds good to me."

Fluttershy wasn’t happy that he ruined her trap. Now she needed to try harder if she wanted to get close to these animals.

Star Dust and Flower Dust finally found the spot they were looking for. It was an open area of the garden where special events can occur. Other couples of ponies have already taken several spots as they sat on cushions that were provided. All of them were facing the same direction.

At the edge of the area, there were two stone fountains that were three-tier tall. Between them, there was a marble flower vase. The flowering plant that was inside of it could not be seen as a curtain was wrapped around it.

"Hurry Star Dust! Let's find a spot near the front. I don't want to miss it," the filly said as she was trying to pull her brother along.

He responded with, "I see a spot over there where two cushions are empty." He pointed with a hoof.

The siblings quickly navigated between the others that were there. They were only a few feet away when a pair of unicorns teleported onto those empty spots. Flower Dust started to look for another pair for them.

There was nothing near the front. The blue stallion found a set in the middle over on the left side. "Hold on, sis," he said.

The teal Earth pony grabbed onto his leg. The Unicorn used his magic and teleported over there. After the quick flash, the little filly said to her big bro, "I didn't know you can teleport, Starry."

"I've been practicing. I can only do line of sight right now. It also takes a good chunk of magic so I can do it only a few times," the stallion said. His breathing was a little hard.

"You'll get used to it big bro. Soon, you could do it with your eyes closed!"

"We'll see, little sis. For now, let's take a seat and watch what is about to happen."

A little way in front of them, they saw a white Unicorn mare and stallion. The stallion was pulling a cushion into place for the mare. She has a purple mane and is wearing a fancy deep pink dress. Just before that mare could take a seat on the cushion, the stallion she was with sat on it instead. She reluctantly took a seat on the grass next to him. Not before lifting the dress up enough so it won't get any grass stains.

Flower Dust recognized the stallion. She spotted him several times in the castle. The filly had to bow to him each time as he is some sort of Prince. She leaned closer to Star Dust and whispered, "Starry, I recognize that Unicorn stallion over there." She pointed with her hoof. "His name is escaping me, but he's a prince. It wasn't very nice that he didn't let the mare take the cushion."

The blue Unicorn looked towards where his sister was pointing to. Once he saw the stallion, he too recognized him as Prince Blueblood. The Unicorn mare next to him was another he knows, Rarity.
The new guard has heard some rumors from other guards about this Prince. None of them were anything nice. If he knew that Rarity was going to spend the Gala with Prince Blueblood, he would have advised her that it would be a bad idea. Star Dust wouldn't have told her exactly what he knew as the stallion had never seen these himself.

Carefully choosing his words, he lowered his head to Flower Dust and replied in a whisper, "That's Prince Blueblood. The mare next to him is the same one that made your dress."

"Really?!" The filly said with excitement in her voice but kept it at a whisper level. "I have to go and thank her!"

"We can do it later. She’s with her date, I believe. Besides, take a look towards the front area."

The siblings looked towards the front as they saw the curtains began to be drawn open. Flower Dust's eyes were as wide open as she could get them. Star Dust looked down at her sis and was proud to see how happy she is.

Up by the fountains, the curtain was being drawn open ever so slowly. After the minutes that went by, everyone could now see the plant that was in the flower pot. Inside it, there was a single, closed, flower bulb, yet to bloom. The flower petals were white with purple around the edges and the stems. It stood tall above the green leaves.

The filly whispered to her brother, "Is that what I think it is?" She asked with a little excitement in her voice.

"Maybe," Star Dust replied. "What do you think it is?"

"I've read about it in books but never seen any pictures. If the descriptions are correct, that flower is called Brahma Kamal. It's also known as the Night Blooming Cereus. I can't believe I'm going to see it bloom!"

The ponies in the garden watched quietly as the flower began to open up. The only sound that could be heard were small creatures and insects that were in the trees.

The flower's outer purple petals started to slowly unwrap themselves to allow the white ones to follow behind. It moved ever slowly as it began to reveal a single stigma with several stamens around it within the white petals.

Once the flower was in full bloom, a Unicorn stallion with a tan coat and a slick back, black mane walked up behind a pedestal that was near the flower. He used his magic and lifted a small, wood hammer that was on there. This pony had it bang against to get everyone's attention.

Flower Dust looked to her brother and asked, "Stary, what's going on? Why is that pony standing next to the flower?"

"I don't know," he replied. "I was only able to find out about the location and what flower was going to be on display at the Gala."

The pony in front soon began to speak, "Good evening mares and gentlecolts. After seeing that wonderful blooming of the Brahma Kamal, it's now time to auction it off to the highest bidder."

"Why in Equestria are they auctioning off this beautiful flower?" the teal Earth pony filly asked in a louder voice.

A mare nearby replied to her, "Why to eat it of course. It's a rare delicacy and everyone here wants to taste it. I came close to winning last year's special flower, but Prince Blueblood beat my highest bid. Over 2 million bits! I'm prepared this time to win."

"That's not right! Don't you know the flower has medical benefits?"

"Who cares about that. It's a rare flower and I want to taste it. I don't know when they are going to have another one.”

Flower Dust turned to the blue Unicorn. "Star Dust, you have to stop this! This isn’t fair to the plant." Her tone was angry as she said this.

"I know you are upset little sis," Star Dust began to say, "But there isn't anything I can do. No Equestrian law is being broken."

The teal Earth pony wasn't going to stand for this. Before her brother could stop her, she ran to the front where the auctioneer pony was standing. The filly leaped up onto the pedestal and turned to address the crowd there.

"Listen up everyone!" She shouted. "What you're doing isn’t right. This flower is one of the rarest on our planet. So, you rich ponies are bidding on it to just see what it tastes like? What's wrong with you!"

A Unicorn stallion stands up and responds, "A little filly like you wouldn't understand. This has been happening at every Gala for over one hundred years. It's tradition!"

"I may still be young, but I know more about this plant than any other pony here. Don't you know this plant can be used in medicine to help heal very sick ponies?"

A pony perked up his head. "This plant has curative properties? Now I want it even more!"

A mare in the back replied, "What can a plant do that magic can't? Most doctor ponies are Unicorns for a reason."

Several other ponies began to respond in agreement.

Flower Dust started to bring all her hooves together as she tried to think of a response for the mare. "Well, . . . um, . . . you see."

This time, a Pegasus stallion got up and said, "It may be rare because no pony has found a big stash where they grow. I'm sure the Princesses have some Earth pony taking of some others in a secret location."

"Like Sector 51!" A pony shouts from the crowd. Several ponies laughed hard after hearing that.

The filly stood up straight on her hooves and said, "We don't know if there is another one out there. I'm asking you, mares and gentlecolts, to look into your heart. See how wrong this is. What I think should happen is to not sell this plant. Instead, allow me to take care of it and use it to grow more Brahma Kamal."

"Then it won't be a rare plant." A mare shouts out from the back. "Besides, are you telling me that you know better than Princess Celestia? Also, what's going to stop you from eating it for yourself?"
Several ponies agreed with the mare.

"I won't eat it because I see how useful this plant can be instead of being eaten."

"I think you’re only doing this because you don't have enough bits to buy it yourself," a different mare said.

Even more, ponies shouted their agreement.

"I'm only a filly. Of course, I don't have the bits to compete with you rich ponies. I didn't even know this auctioning occurred at the Gala."

A stallion responded, " Yes . . . wait, you somehow got through security. Bidding is only for adults. Can we get security over here?"

Other ponies started to say similar things to Flower Dust. She looked around as she tried to come up with the words to convince them to agree with her. Without warning, she felt a magic field enveloped her. She was taken off the podium and moved over to one of the sides of the clearing. The filly soon saw it was her big bro that picked her up and was moving her to him.

Once she was back on her hooves and the magic field went away, Flower Dust said, “Star Dust, why did you do that?” You could see in her eyes that the filly was on the edge of crying.

"I know you mean well to protect that plant, but it seems these high society ponies do this sort of thing at these events. I only heard rumors from other guards at other events. I never thought they did it at the Gala. I'm so sorry for bringing you here," the stallion responded as he hugged his sister. Once the hug was finished, he wiped away some of the tears on her face. "Let's get out of here. I still want to show you to all my friends."

The little filly started to follow him, then pulled on his back hoof. "Wait. I want to see this through."

"Are you sure? This is your night, so I'll do what you want to do."

"I want to see the end of the auction big bro."

"Okay. Let's watch from the side over there." Star Dust pointed to an area on the side of the clearing. "That way, we can avoid the crowd once it's done."

She nodded and followed her brother to that spot. Once there, the auctioneer started the bidding a few minutes later. The starting bid was 100,000 bits. It was climbing up higher very quickly. 250 thousand, 1/2 million, 1 million. The bidding was narrowed down to a few ponies, Prince Blueblood, a yellow Pegasus mare, a light gray Unicorn stallion, and a pastel green Pegasus stallion.

Between them, the price for the plant was rising up in 100,000 increments. The last called out was 3.1 million bits, made by Prince Blueblood. The mare Flower chatted with prior had her forehooves crossed her chest. She was angry about being outbid again by him.

The auctioneer said to the participants, "I have 3.1 from Prince Blueblood. I'm looking for 3.2. Who wants to place a bid for 3.2 for this lovely Brahma Kamal? Anyone else has a bid?"

He waited a few seconds.

"Going once!"

Few more seconds of waiting.

"Going twice!"

He scanned the ponies for any more bids.

"Last call!"

"4 million bits!" A stallion's voice shouted as the auctioneer's hammer was coming down.

Everyone turned their heads towards the source. The pony that said it was another Unicorn stallion. He had a dark blue coat and a silver mane. He was wearing the top part of a black tux and had a monocle over his left eye. His cutie mark is of stars in some sort of pattern.

The auctioneer resumed the bidding. "I have 4 million from blue Unicorn. Do I have 4.1?" He asked.

"4.1," from Prince Blueblood.

"4.2," from the Blue Unicorn.

"4.3."

"4.4."

"4.5 million bits!" Prince Blueblood shouted as he stood up and faced the other pony.

The blue Unicorn was calm as he said, "4.7 million."

"4.8!"

"This is amazing, ponies! We have a bid for 4.8 million from Prince Blueblood. I have never seen such a rare flower go for that high of a price," the auctioneer said. "Do I have 4.9 from you, good sir?"

The Unicorn in blue stood up and straightened his tux. He responded with, "5 million."

The crowd gasps at a high price. Prince Blueblood was getting frustrated by now. "I demand to know who you are, sir." He said.

"If you must know, my name is Steel Prism."

Several ponies began to whisper among themselves after hearing that.

Prince Blueblood's face would have gone whiter if he didn't already have a pure white coat. He cleared his throat and said, "The Steel Prism? As in, the owner of Astro Co.?"

"Oh, so you have heard of me. Was wondering if you were going to recognize me. I have made regular visits to the castle. Even passed you in the hallway a few times. Guess your ego was making you blind to your surroundings."

Several ponies started to chuckle and laugh for a little bit. Before settling back down.

The auctioneer cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention before saying, "Um, I have 5 million bits from Mr. Prism. Do you want to make it 5.1 Prince Blueblood?"

Prince Blueblood turned his gaze to the auctioneer. Then, towards the flower. Finally, back to Steel Prism. After a few minutes of remaining silent, he responded with, "No. As much as I want to continue and win, I know that I don't stand a chance against someone with deep pockets. The flower is yours." Under his breath, as he turned his head, he said, "I hope you choke on it."

The auctioneer slammed the hammer against the wood and said, "SOLD! For 5 million bits to Steel Prism. Come up and claim your prize."

All the ponies clapped their hooves as Steel Prism made his way up to the front. Once there, he used his magic and summoned five bricks that look to be made of platinum. The auctioneer accepted the payment and walked away.

Flower Dust turned towards her brother and said, "Star Dust, can we go now? I want to leave."

"Sure thing, little sis. Let's head back to the party," he replied.

As they made their way towards the exit, a voice called out to them. "Excuse me, little miss? May I have a word with you?"

Both siblings turned around to see who it was. Steel Prism was behind them and he had the potted plant in his magical grasp. He had a smile on his face as he looked down at the little filly. "I was rather impressed with what you know about this plant. I never knew it could be used for medical purposes.”

Flower Dust politely said, “I find all plants very interesting. I hope you enjoy your prize, sir. If you could please, I would like to leave with my brother back to the party. I really don’t want to see you eat the Brahma Kamal.”

“Oh, I have no intention of eating this rare flower, little filly. I was thinking instead of giving it to you to take care of.”

Her face suddenly lit up with excitement. “REALLY?”

“Yes. I was moved by what you said. That’s why I paid what I did to win it. It was also a plus to beat Prince Blueblood.” He lowered the plant down to Flower Dust. “So, will you look after this rare flower and use it to make more?”

The filly was very excited that there was a pony that she managed to reach with her words. Even better, they saved the plant by bidding the highest that anyone has. She just wanted to just jump and give him a great big hug, thanking him over a dozen times. But this was a high society pony. She held back her excitement and politely responded, "Thank you very much, Mr. Prism, for the honor of taking care of this plant. I will do you proud."

"I know you're trying to be proper and all, but you don't need to hold back your initial response. I have several grand fillies and colts that I love when they tackle me with their hugs. You can if you, OFMPH!"

Before he could finish what he was saying, Flower Dust did the hug tackle to his neck. She was also thanking him lots of times as she held on.

Star Dust spoke up, "Thank you for letting my sister do this for you. You have made it the best night for her. In more ways than one," he said with a big smile.

Flower Dust stopped the thanking and turned her head to her big brother. "What do you mean Starry? How could this night get any better than saving a rare plant?"

He gestured with his eyes to look where he was looking.

She does so. The filly, now saw what her brother was seeing, could not hold back her excitement for this.

"I GOT MY CUTIE MARK!"

--------------------------

Elsewhere in the castle, Swift Blaze and Princess Luna were walking in a hallway that was next to the Canterlot Gardens. They faintly heard a filly voice shouting about something. Blaze turned his head towards the garden.

"What's going on down there?" He asked.

Luna looked over to see also. "Oh, that’s where an auction is held for some high society ponies to bid on some rare delicacies. I never quite understood why someone would pay such high prices for a rare flower."

Blaze quickly turned his gaze back to Luna with a shocking look on his face. "Wait, ponies are bidding on flowers?"

"Yes. They think because it's a rare plant, getting to eat it, it would raise them up in society's opinions."

Blaze raised up onto his hind hooves and said, "News flash! Some rich pony got to eat a rare plant after bidding a huge god awful price. He rose up three positions in the rich rankings," he motioned his forehooves as if he was displaying what he was saying. Back on all four, he finished with, "I'm sorry Princess if you might be offended by this, but that is the most STUPID thing I've ever heard."

"I thought you knew this world?"

"So did I, your highness. So did I. We should continue heading to the Gala. Don't want to miss it." Blaze said with a smile.

Back at the Gala, in the VIP section, Rainbow Dash was trying to figure out how to get the Wonderbolts to notice her in this crowd. Lightning Dust was standing nearby, keeping an eye on her. Hoping that she wasn’t going to do anything crazy.

As he was surveying the area, a Pegasus mare walked up to him. “Hello there. I was hoping to see one of the new guards at the Gala.” She said. “I’ve always found them to be quite strong by surviving that hard training. What’s your name big fella?”

Not even turning his point of view, the black Pegasus stallion response was, “My name is Lightning Trails, madam.”

“Well, Mr. Trails, how about you come with me so we can get to know each other better?”

“I’m sorry, but I have other plans with someone else tonight.” He then noticed Dash was whistling a tune as she was approaching an unknown stallion. “If you would excuse me, I have something to take care of.”

With that, Lightning Trails walked away from the mare. Not even looked at who he was chatting with. She snorted air out of her nose in anger. Her head went up high as she said, “Well, I never.” Then walked away to find some other willing pony.

Just before he could stop Rainbow from her plan, she sent that stallion up into the air. Seconds passed as he went up, and soon was falling back down to the marble floor. The black stallion saw the rainbow mane Pegasus quickly flew around the other ponies. In order to make it in time to catch the same pony, she launched.

The Pegasus mare looked towards Spitfire and Soarin to see if they noticed her amazing feat. Her mood went back to angry as she saw them getting their pictures taken with some other VIPs she didn’t know. Not waiting for the stallion on the back to get off, she did a small buck and had him finish falling down to the floor. He was still dazed as to what happened to him as Rainbow walked off.

Lightning Trails approached the mare and said in a low voice, “Not a smart move to endanger another pony's life to get noticed.”

“What would you suggest I do then? Put on a grass skirt and do the hula?” Rainbow responded.

“Try juggling some liquid-filled object and not have them spill.”

Elsewhere in the main hall, Rarity came walking in next to Prince Blueblood. Her best night with him hasn’t turned out as well as she dreamed of. The white, Unicorn mare was hoping his princely side would show up soon.

As the two continued to walk, Prince Blueblood brought up his forehoof in front of Rarity to stop her. “Miss Rarity! Stop!” he said.

The white mare looked around to see why. Her eyes fell upon a spilled drink that was on the floor in front of them. With a joyous feeling, she responded with, “Oh. Prince Blueblood! How chivalrous.”

One would hate to slip.“

“Yes. One certainly would.”

“One's cloak should take care of the problem.”

Oh, of course, it will.”

It took Rarity a moment to realize what the Prince wanted her to. Reluctantly, she put the cloak of her dress over the puddle. Allowing the white, Unicorn stallion to walk over the spot instead of around it like everyone else would have done.

Once he was over, the white Unicorn mare picked up the now wet cloak and draped it back over her back. She wasn’t happy with what the Prince had her do.

Over by the buffet, Al was nibbling on the only food there that didn’t have flowers with it, cheese and crackers. He has been observing how the gala has been progressing. The human was wondering when Pinkie was going to get on stage and try to get these stiffs to dance.

As if on cue, a tapping sound was being heard over the speakers. Al turned his head and saw Pinkie Pie and Colorful Sparks were on stage. ” Here we go. Wish I had some popcorn and 3-D glasses. This next part is going to be great,“ Al thought.

“C'mon, everyone!” Pinkie shouted into the mic.

Colorful Sparks stepped in and said, “We know what will make you shake those groove-thangs!”

The two mares began to sing a song that you would normally hear at a little filly or a little colt birthday party. Both were performing the dance routine that goes with it as they sang. Out on the main floor, none of the rich ponies were paying attention and doing the same dance steps.

The two ponies finished the number by standing on their hind hooves and their forehooves pointed to the ceiling. They had their eyes closed as they waited for the applause.

None came.

A mare near the stage spoke up and said, “Young lady, this is not that kind of party.”

Both mares looked at each other, with confused looks as they thought what kind of party she meant. Pinkie spoke up when the idea popped into her head, “Ohhhhhh... They don't want a party.” She said as a light bulb that was glowing and floating above her head.

Colorful Sparks caught on and replied, “These ponies want a party!”

Pinkie Pie pulled on the cord above to turn the light off. The two-party mares split off in opposite directions to begin getting what was needed for the actual party the fancy mare suggested.

Elsewhere in the Gala hall, the Zebra family just finished watching what the pink mare and blue stallion had put on to liven up the crowd. None of them joined in. They didn’t want to embarrass themselves after hearing what Fang overheard from the snob mares. They’ve been discussing among themselves what they could do in order to change their attitudes.

“You know what I want to do?” said Cancer. “I want to zip around all these snobby rich ponies and dump punch juice over their heads.”

Dragon said, “I want to slow them all down so we can cut up their fancy outfits into ribbons.”

Fang replied, “And I told you that will get you caught and thrown into the dungeons. We can’t play childish pranks. We’re now Royal Guards. Even more, we’re a special unit. We can’t cause trouble for our captain. Let’s just enjoy this party and lay low.”

“You never let us have any fun,” said the younger Zebra brother.

“Why is it you are so uptight now?” asked the older Zebra brother.

The Zebra mare said, “We can have fun, as long as we don’t make a major scene. How about you get some treats from that apple mare that rode up with us? I think she’s in the garden space.”

“Sure, anything in particular you want?” asked Cancer.

“I think she has some apple dumplings. I’ll take some of those.”

“Alright, we’ll be back in a few,” said Dragon. “Don’t get into any trouble while we’re gone.”

The Zebra twins started to head outside. Over by the food tables, the white hare human was getting bored now as no one was bothering to chat with him. All the cheese and crackers were gone. What he was able to eat was an appetizer size amount. He craved more fulfilling foods. He too made his way to the orange Earth pony apple food cart outside.

Outside at the apple stand, Applejack was staring off into space as ponies walked by, not even looking at the food she has to offer. Soon, a pair of white ponies walked up. It was Rarity and Prince Blueblood.

The Unicorn mare walked up to the booth and said, “Two apple fritters, please.”

The Earth pony mare woke up from hearing that and happily replied, “Two apple fritters comin' right up.” She pulled them out from below and had them on a serving platter. “That'll be four bits.”

Rarity looked up to her stallion date and expected him to pay. She said, “Ahem.”

Bring a supposed prince, Blueblood was expecting her to pay. He replied, “Ahem.”

The white mare said, “Ahem!” at a louder tone.

He too replied, “Ahem!” at a louder tone.

Not wanting to drag it out anymore, Rarity sighed, then said, “I'm going to have to pay, aren't I?”

Seeing how unhappy her friend was, Applejack said, “It's okay, Rarity. I got you covered.”

“Thank you, Applejack. At least someone here has good manners.”

The two Unicorns used their magic and each picked up one of the apple treats. The stallion was first to take a bite. He spitted it out and gasped. He actually looked this time to see what was available. “Oh! Fritters! Dumplings! Caramel apples!” he cried out. “My royal lips have touched common carnival fare! I'm going to the buffet for some... hors d'oeuvres.” He turned around and left to go back inside.

“Well, no wonder nopony wants my food,” said the orange Earth pony mare. “They're fillin' up on those fancy-schmancy vittles. Well, my down-home apples are plenty good enough for this crowd. I'll just dress 'em up a bit and prove it to 'em.”

“Before you head off, mind if we buy something? We’re hungry,” said someone behind the pony.

Applejack turned around and saw the human and Zebra brothers were walking up.

“I’ll never say no to a customer. Now whatcha hankering for?” asked the mare.

“Our sis wants two of your apple dumplings. I’ll take three of your apple cupcakes,” said Cancer.

“I’ll take a caramel apple, please,” said Dragon.

“And I’ll take a dozen apples,” said Al. “All that fancy food isn’t suited for a human.”

They each paid for their orders and headed back inside. The orange mare packed up her cart so she can begin to dress up what she has to something a fancy pony would like.

Elsewhere in the garden, a yellow Pegasus was finishing the final touches on a net trap she laid out on the ground. Her mane was a mess and her coat was dirty. But, Fluttershy was determined to get one of these critters. “I'll catch you yet, my pretties,” she said in a creepy tone. “Oh yes. As soon as one of you little birds or monkeys or bears touches this net... you'll be mine! Mine!”

The mare cracked into evil laughter. Without warning, she accidentally falls onto the trap and sets it off. She’s now wrapped up in the net and is hanging from a branch.

A pair of ponies walk up onto the distressed Pegasus. It was Star Dust and his little sister. She was carrying the rare plant she received on her back as she occasionally looked back at her cutie mark. When the filly finally noticed the yellow mare in the net, she said, “Brother, I think we should help her out.”

The stallion replied, “Do we have to? She looks so content up there. I think she did this so the animals realize they don’t have to be afraid of her.”

“Starry! No pony likes to be hanging from a net.”

“Alright, alright. I’ll get her down, gently.” The blue Unicorn used his magic to untie the knot of the net and slowly lowered it.

Once the Pegasus was back on her hooves, she thanked them, quietly. Then the mare ran off.

“Aww, I was hoping she was wanting to see my cutie mark,” said Flower Dust.

“You’ll see her again. I know her from Ponyville. We rode up together in a somewhat carriage type vehicle,” said the stallion.

The two started their journey back to the Gala hall to see what’s going on.

Back in the halls of the castle, Princess Luna and Blaze were almost at the doors to the Gala. As they got closer, classical music was suddenly changed to an upbeat remix tone. The pair poked their heads through the doorway to see what’s going on.

The blue Alicorn said, “I don’t recall this music being on the list of approved music. What’s going on?

“Oh, I have an idea,” replied the red Unicorn. “And we haven’t missed the climax of the party.” Let’s just wait here and watch.”

The princess nodded and just watched from the doorway with her stallion friend.

Up on the stage. Pinkie Pie and Colorful Sparks had set up a turntable DJ setup and had just started to play music from it. The pink mare went around and tried to get the fancy ponies to start cutting a rug to the beat.

Applejack opened the doors from the kitchen and was pushing a cart with an eight-tier cake that was apple flavor and fancy decorated with icing. She announced to the room, “Okay, all you high-class ponies. Here's a highfalutin apple cake for your hoity-toity taste buds.”

Rarity had just finished holding the door open for Prince Blueblood. She was not happy with how this stallion had been treating her like a servant and not like a princess. Anything more would more than likely make her snap.

All of a sudden, the pink mare on the stage announced that she was doing a stage dive. Just after she jumped, the ponies she was aiming for had moved out of the way. Applejack wasn’t paying attention as she was pushing the cart of cake around. Pinkie Pie hit it and launched the cake into the air. On the other side, Prince Blueblood noticed the cake in the air was falling towards him. He grabbed the white mare he was with and used her as a shield.

Rarity was surprised by this action and tried to get out of the way. But, there wasn’t any time. The cake landed on her and went everywhere. Her mane and face were covered in cake. Her dress was covered in icing. The white Unicorn mare was now mad.

She turned to the stallion and said, “You, sir, are the most uncharming prince I have ever met! In fact, the only thing royal about you is that you are a royal pain!”

The white stallion didn’t like the mess on the mare. He said, “Ewww...! Uh, stay back! I just had myself groomed!”

“Afraid to get dirty?!” Rarity shook her head and some of the icings on her went flying everywhere.

This caused the prince to stumble back to avoid the mess. He fell and bumped into the base of a pony statue, causing it to topple. Rainbow Dash saw this as an opportunity to show her skills. The mare flew to the falling piece of art and caught it on her back. Not realizing the weight of it, the Pegasus started to lose her balance. She stumbled around and had the statue slam into the decorative columns.

This started another chain reaction of them falling down into each other, knocking them all down. No one was injured from them falling. Once the debris smoke cleared, this was when Princess Celestia and Twilight Sparkle entered the Gala hall.

The purple Unicorn said to herself, “Well... it can't get any worse.”

As if on cue, a rumble was coming from outside. The doors to the garden burst open and a lot of animals came running in. Behind them was a yellow mare that had a very determined look on her face.

Fluttershy shouted, “You're... going to love me!”

All the ponies started to run about, avoiding the wild animals that were making more of a mess. Twilight signaled her friends to come with her and leave the castle. Rarity lost a glass slipper on the staircase. Pinkie Pie noticed this and informed the white mare that her prince would be able to find her with that. The Unicorn panicked and quickly smashed it into lots of pieces. Then continued to run out of there.

Back in the hall, Fang and the Zebra twins decided to step up and herd the animals back outside. They worked in different areas of the space. Lightning Trails took to the sky to help get the flying critters out. After fifteen minutes, they were done. But, the hall space was a complete mess.

The tables were tossed all over the place, banners were torn, and everyone’s outfits were dirty. The only ones that remained clean were the Princesses and Swift Blaze. They were still standing in the doorways.

Luna said, “If I knew these parties get this wild, I would have joined in the beginning.”

Blaze replied, “The fun isn’t over, yet.”

“Fun? Fun? Do you call this fun? This is a total disaster! And it’s all those common ponies from Ponyville’s fault!” shouted Prince Blue Blood.

The red stallion didn’t like this Unicorn disrespecting his friends. He left the blue Alicorn’s side and walked toward the white Unicorn. “I’m sorry, sir, but this isn’t their fault. It was you that triggered the events that cause all of this destruction,” said Blaze.

“Me? I was not! It was that crazy pink pony thinking this was some commoner’s kid party. That kind of attitude is unwanted at the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“It is your fault. If you were more of a gentlecolt and protected that mare from being hit with that cake, then all of this mess would have not happened. Only you would be a mess right now.”

“How dare you place the blame on me! I’m a prince!” the white stallion shouted.

“A prince of what? What do you have control over?” asked the red stallion.

“ I have a royal blood connection from my aunt, Princess Celestia.”

“I don’t think that should grant you the title of prince. I see maybe a lord or duke. But, you’re not the son of the Princess of the Sun, nor grandson. You’re not even an Alicorn.”

The white Unicorn was getting furious with this pony. “I don’t have to take this from the likes of you! I can have my aunt throw you in the dungeon for bad talking royalty.”

“Let’s settle this like gentlecolts.” Blaze used his magic and brought out a hoof glove from an inner pocket. “I challenge you to a duel!” He then slapped the white stallion with the glove.

Prince Blueblood was shocked at this. No one has ever challenged him for anything. But seeing this unicorn was smaller than him. He assumed he'd have the advantage. With his magic, he grabbed the glove from the red stallion’s grasp and returned the slap. “I accept. We’ll duel with swords out in the garden in thirty minutes.”

Blaze didn’t flinch when he got hit with the glove. He smiled and replied, “Looking forward to it.”

PreviousChapters Next