• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 14,733 Views, 684 Comments

A Mighty Demon Slayer Grooms Some Ponies - D G D Davidson



When the ponies decide to introduce themselves to Earth by entering a horse show, they call upon a legendary warrior from their distant past to get them ready. Featured on Equestria Daily!

  • ...
61
 684
 14,733

2. Megan Grooms Rainbow Dash

A Mighty Demon Slayer Grooms Some Ponies

by D. G. D. Davidson

II. Megan Grooms Rainbow Dash

Twilight Sparkle—her muzzle clamped shut, her wings pinned, and her pasterns tied together with ropes—lay on a stainless steel table in the midst of a dingy laboratory. The room was dark, but a cone of cold, yellow light spilled onto the table from an overhead lamp suspended on a gimbal arm. On a tray nearby, knives, saws, and scalpels glinted in the dimness. A deeply tinted green window filled one wall of this prison; rain poured down it, and the branches of closely planted evergreens beat a steady tattoo on the glass, as if the trees were clamoring to come inside and seek shelter from the storm.

From a dark corner of the room, Megan watched the helpless pony. Twilight’s eyes were wide with terror. Sweat and tears ran down her face in a steady stream, pooling on the table under her cheek. Megan tried to leap to Twilight’s side, tried to raise her hands, but she couldn’t move. She couldn’t even turn her head.

A tall, thin figure appeared, silhouetted against the rain-lashed window. With slow steps accented by hollow echoes, he walked forward until the lamplight revealed his seamed face and wild, white hair. He wore a long, blood red coat buttoned at the shoulder. On his hook-like nose, a complicated array of lenses perched like some parasitical insect. As he bent over Twilight, the lenses turned opaque from the reflected light, and his pale lips parted in a mirthless grin, revealing a set of yellowing teeth. Twilight squeezed her eyes shut. A whimper escaped her mouth.

A door burst open and another man walked in. He was young and handsome, but his boyish features had an edge of ruggedness suggesting a life of hard work. He wore khakis and hiking boots, and his sleeves were rolled up above well-muscled forearms.

The older man with the lenses on his face looked up, smiled, and spoke. His voice was high and thin and touched with what sounded like a bad Hollywood version of a German accent. “Ah, Herr Jones, you haf come back. I am most pleased vis zis specimen you haf brought me, ja?”

“Crikey,” the young man answered, his own accent unmistakably Australian. He ran a hand through his well-oiled hair. “First time I’ve wrangled a genuine unicorn. Gave me a run for my money, I can tell you that.”

“But your efforts ver not in vain, Herr Jones, for here she is, helpless und in our power.”

“Yeah, but what’ll we do with her? Sell her off to a zoo, maybe?”

The German licked his lips and rubbed together his long, bony fingers. “I haf a different idea, Herr Jones. As you know, zuh horn of zuh unicorn is rumored to haf certain, ah, properties.” He bent over Twilight again and ran a finger along her cheek. She trembled violently and made an inarticulate, high-pitched noise through the gag in her mouth. “You, my darling,” the German whispered, “are going to make us vealthy men.”

From under the table, he pulled an enormous, rusty chainsaw.

Megan tried to yell, but couldn’t open her mouth. She struggled, but something had pinned her arms and legs.

When the German pulled the chainsaw’s starter cord, the saw rumbled to life, its deafening motor producing a steady, rhythmic buzz.

Straining with all her might, Megan forced her mouth open and shouted, “No! Nobody hurts my ponies! Let her go, you bastard!”

With a wide, toothy smile, the German brought the whirring blade down to Twilight’s forehead. The buzzing motor grew louder, more insistent. Megan thrashed and flailed—

And tumbled out of bed. Her cheek struck hard against the wooden floor, and the buzz of the chainsaw resolved into the buzz of the alarm clock.

Stunned, Megan lay on the floor for almost a minute before she finally struggled out of the jumble of sheets and slapped the alarm until it went silent.

Her nightgown saturated with sweat, she sat on the floor for a moment and listened: the only sounds in the room were her own hard breathing, the thudding of her heart, and the faint buzz of a fly on the windowpane. With every hard heartbeat, her temples throbbed; the day was young, but she already had a headache. The dark lab and the evil men had seemed so real, but they had been only a dream . . .

Unless Twilight was trying to contact her with telepathy. Back in Dream Valley, unicorns had sometimes entered her dreams like that when they were in trouble.

Forcing down a rising panic, Megan jumped up, ran to her dresser, and yanked open drawers. She pulled on a fresh work shirt and then searched the floor until she found yesterday’s jeans.

She paused, clenching her hands. It was spring now, but early mornings were still chilly, so she ran to the closet and rifled through several frilly dresses until she found her duster. After shoving her arms into it, she ran to the vanity and glanced in the mirror.

She looked frightful. Her thick blond hair stuck out around her face like some kind of insane devil’s halo, but she didn’t have time to brush it. She snatched a ribbon, pulled back as much of her hair as she could grab, and tied a ponytail. Then she clamped a Stetson on her head and sped out of the room.

Having often traveled to Ponyland at night, Megan was an expert at sneaking out of this old house. She lightly jumped over all the stairs that creaked and, once she made the first-floor landing, slipped down the narrow hallway and into the room that had formerly been her father’s den. She ran a hand above the doorframe until her fingertips touched the cold metal of a key. With the key, she opened the gun case: if she had to fight humans, she wanted a human weapon.

She stared indecisively at the guns. She had been roping, riding, and shooting almost as long as she’d been walking, but she had no idea which was the best weapon for assaulting some crazy laboratory. She finally decided on the Model 94 Winchester, the rifle with which her father had first trained her. It brought back bad memories, but it was familiar.

She loaded six cartridges and shoved several others into the duster’s deep pockets. After strapping the rifle over her shoulder, she made her way back down the hall, through the small, dark kitchen, and into the mudroom where she’d left her cowboy boots.

Sitting on the chipped, dusty linoleum in the dark, she grunted as she tugged the boots on, forcing her feet into the cold, stiff leather. The mudroom was chilly, and Megan could faintly see her breath when she exhaled. She was glad she’d grabbed the duster.

Now fully dressed and fully equipped, she stood and headed for the back door. She had no idea where to go, no idea how to find Twilight, and no idea if the unicorn was even still alive. The rifle’s familiar weight on her back was reassuring, but it could do her no good. She was armed but helpless.

When she pulled open the door, she found Twilight Sparkle waiting on the stoop.

Megan blinked several times.

“Good morning,” Twilight said with a broad grin.

Stupefied, Megan swayed. She reached out a hand and touched Twilight’s horn.

Twilight pulled her head back. “Can I help you with something?”

Megan dropped her hand, forced a smile, and shook her head. “No. No, of course not, Your Highness. And how are you this morning?”

“Oh, I’m great. I was just coming over to tell you Rainbow Dash is waiting for you by the barn. I’m going back over the rainbow to get the others, but I convinced Dash to fly in first, since I figured you’d want to get started right away.”

“Of course,” Megan said. She struggled to hold her smile, but could feel it slipping. “Just, uh, let me get some coffee.” She turned around and tiptoed back into the kitchen.


Now equipped with a travel mug full of caffeine, Megan trudged through the unkempt grass toward the horse barn. The air was chilly; the sky was still dark and stars still shone, though the eastern horizon had turned pinkish. The dew in the grass left streaks of moisture across her boots.

A yawning, bleary-eyed Rainbow Dash was leaning against the wall of the barn with a sheet of paper in her front hooves. Megan took a deep pull on her coffee. It was going to be a long day.

“I don’t usually get up this early,” said Rainbow.

“Tough,” Megan answered.

“So let me get this straight.” Rainbow tapped a hoof against the paper. “I’m supposed to shuffle my feet back and forth in this little pattern?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“It’s called dressage, Ambassador Dash. Let me remind you that this wasn’t my idea.”

“And you want to sit on my back while I’m doing this?”

Megan sipped her coffee again. “No, that will be Molly. You ponies are a lot smaller than I remembered, but I guess I’ve grown—”

Rainbow threw down the paper, spread her wings, and leapt into the air. Circling Megan, she waved her forelegs and said, “I got a much better idea! I could sweep in and show ’em my super speed strut, then mesmerize ’em with the filly flash, and then—the sonic rainboom! It would be so awesome!”

Megan spread her feet and bent her knees, dropping halfway into a defensive crouch. She watched Rainbow warily. “Yes it would be. It would also get you disqualified.”

Her heart hammered. Even though Rainbow made no threatening gestures, and even though it had been five years since Megan had done battle against ravenous monsters, being circled, as if by a predator, still set her nerves on edge.

Besides that, though she couldn’t quite put her finger on it, something about this particular pony irritated her.

Rainbow snorted. “What’s the point? Even your horses should be able to do something flashier than this.”

Megan poured more coffee into her mouth. Her head at last started to clear up, perhaps more because of the jolt of adrenaline than because of the caffeine. “Rainbow, it’s not about flashy. It’s to test a rider’s skills and a horse’s training. If it makes you feel better, these techniques were invented for the military; if you can do well in dressage, you have the makings of a warhorse.”

Rainbow landed in the yard and folded her wings. “Well, that’s cool, I guess. But it just seems boring. We want their jaws to drop.”

“I think their jaws will drop anyway.”

“Yeah, my awesomeness does have a way of showing through even when I’m not performing death-defying stunts.” Rainbow shined a hoof against her breast.

“Let’s get you in show condition, shall we?”

“Sure. Whaddaya need? Some warming up, maybe?” Rainbow twisted her knees outward and started doing pushups.

Megan paused and watched for a moment. She had seen many strange things in her short life, but this was the first time she had seen a pony doing pushups. “No, actually, I was thinking of braiding your mane.”

Rainbow halted with her muzzle an inch from the earth. Slowly, she raised her head. “Do what to my what?”

“Braid your mane. It’ll make it look nice for the show. Usually takes me about twenty minutes.”

Rainbow took a step backwards. “Oh, no, sister. I like to let the mane speak for itself.”

“I can see that, which is why I’ve scheduled much more than twenty minutes to deal with it. Come here.”

Rainbow took another step backwards.

Megan felt a surge of annoyance. She downed the rest of her coffee, tossed her travel mug aside, and cracked her knuckles. “If you want to do this the hard way—”

Rainbow reared. “Is that a challenge?”

“Pretty much.”

“What do you have in mind?”

Megan rubbed her chin, tapped her foot against the ground, and thought for a moment. “Come with me.”


It had been a Saturday like any other. Megan had climbed out of bed at four-thirty, knocked on Molly’s door, and banged on Danny’s. Then she had headed out to feed the chickens and milk the cows.

The family hadn’t used the old well since they had sunk the new one behind the house and put in the pump. They had removed the well’s bucket, laid a heavy plywood board over the top of its crumbling, moss-covered stones, and subsequently neglected it.

When Megan stepped outside, she heard the chickens, startled by something, squawking and flapping around their yard. As she made her way out to the coop, she noticed that the board no longer lay across the well: it had been shattered into several fragments, which now glistened with dew among the weeds.

Even after five years, she hadn’t forgotten the sense of danger. Anticipating unpleasantness, she went up on the balls of her feet, raised her fists, and approached the well as quietly as she could.

As she neared it, something bright blue and glistening with water rose above its edge. For a moment, she thought it was a shock of hair, and a sharp pang shot through her chest. She gasped. “Fire—?”

The blue thing rose higher, and Megan realized it was a pony’s muzzle. A large pair of violet eyes appeared above it, and above that, a dripping length of red and orange mane.

“Hey,” the pony said. “I’m Rainbow Dash. You must be one of those, uh, person-thingies. I’m hopin’ to find someone named Magog. Heard of her?”

Megan lowered her hands and whispered, “Well I’ll be damned.”


Now Megan stood among the trees on the edge of the creek with that same pony and carefully balanced six tin cans on an old, lichen-spotted segment of fence. Looking Rainbow up and down, she thought about that moment when she had first seen her; she had felt something then, an emotion as strong as a physical pain followed by a rush of disappointment. She was still trying to figure out what that meant.

“I hear you think you’re quite the athlete,” Megan said.

“Best flier in Equestria.”

“Can you do a double inside-out loop?”

“In my sleep.”

“Then let’s see if you can do this.” With the Winchester in hand, Megan walked fifty yards away. Years ago, her father had customized the rifle with a large loop lever, so Megan spun it, cocking it one-handed just to show off, and then put it to her shoulder and fired.

Rainbow jumped when the rifle cracked. One of the cans, with a faint plink, flew from the top of the fence.

Megan spun the rifle, cocking it one-handed again. She pulled the trigger and another can bounced into the ground.

“Wait a minute,” said Rainbow, flapping to her side. “This isn’t fair. I don’t have hands.”

“Fine. I’ll take a handicap.” Megan fired from the hip. A third can leapt from the fence.

She laughed. “I wasn’t sure I could still do that. Danny and I used to watch old cowboy shows, so we practiced shooting from the hip like they did.” She held the rifle out. “You get the idea?”

Rainbow ran her eyes along the length of the gun. “It’s sort of like a miniature cannon, isn’t it?”

“Yes, sort of. Think you can shoot it?”

Rainbow paused, shuffling back and forth on her hooves.

Megan twisted her mouth as she watched the pony. She had seen enough of Rainbow’s behavior to guess what would get her goat. With a shrug, she put the safety on, slung the rifle over her shoulder, and made as if walking away. “I guess this sport takes too much skill for you—”

Rainbow jumped into the air and hovered. “I got tons of skill! There’s nothing you can do that I—”

Grinning, Megan turned the safety off and held the rifle out again. “Good. Then shoot. Hit all three cans and I’ll let you appear in front of a large audience of humans with your unkempt, tangled, filthy mane.”

“Hey! My mane is not filthy!”

“Stop stalling and shoot, dammit.”

Rainbow dropped to the ground and took the gun in her hooves. Fumbling, she cocked it, crooked it in her left knee, pressed the stock against her breast, and stuck the toe of her right hoof behind the trigger guard.

“Close one eye,” Megan said, “and sight along the—”

“I can figure it out!” Rainbow pulled the trigger back. The gun cracked, Rainbow released a low gasp, and a spray of dirt shot up a few yards away.

Megan snatched the rifle and put the safety back on.

“Hey,” shouted Rainbow, taking off into the air again, “that was just for practice!”

“That was just you missing by a mile. I have to requisition the rifle before you hurt yourself with it. Now get back to the horse barn, girlfriend, because I got a date with your mane.”

“But—! You—! That—! That’s totally unfair!”

“What is? A shooting competition? Are you saying you can’t shoot?”

“Yes! No! I mean . . . I want a rematch!”

“Some other time. Right now, I’m supposed to be getting you ready for your debut, Ambassador, and since I’ve got five other ponies to groom this morning, I’d like to get started sometime this century.”

Rainbow muttered as the two walked back to the horse barn. Megan frowned, rubbed her chin, and wondered quietly why one-upping the pony gave her such vicious satisfaction.


“This is so boring.” Rainbow Dash grimaced and tugged at her eyelids.

“It would go faster if you’d hold still.”

“I can’t help it! That thing feels weird!

“At least you ponies bathe regularly. This would take even longer if I had to shampoo you.”

Now in the yard in front of the horse barn, Megan was in the process of scrubbing Rainbow’s coat with a curry brush. The sun had tipped entirely above the horizon, and Megan counted to herself the hours left before the show began. It would be tight. Ordinarily, she found horse-grooming relaxing, but there would be no time to relax today.

“Why are you so skittish, anyway? All my horses love this.”

“I am not one of your—augh!” Rainbow jumped into the air when Megan started on her hindquarters. “You do not touch the cutie mark!”

“The what?”

Rainbow twisted around and pointed at the three-colored lightning bolt on her hip.

“Oh, your symbol. Relax, I know how to groom magic ponies. I’ll make sure all the hairs are lying in the same direction and the mark is nice and clear. Now get down here.”

Rainbow landed. “How much longer?”

“If you had cooperated, I’d be finished.” Megan curried Dash’s haunches and then started in on her belly. Rainbow leapt again, this time slamming Megan in the face and knocking her to the ground.

“Rainbow Dash—!”

“Sorry! That tickles!”

Megan lifted a hand to her nose. When she pulled it away, she saw a few drops of blood. The pain was slight, but she was angry anyway.

Rainbow landed hard and folded her wings. “Oh my gosh! I’m sorry! Are you—?”

Megan snorted, wiped her nose with her sleeve, and pulled herself to her feet. “I get bloodier than this on a typical weekend. Let’s just finish this up and we can both get back to our business.”

Though she closed her eyes, ground her teeth, and flinched at every touch, Rainbow Dash now stood in place.

As she finished currying, Megan chuckled. “If I’d known getting a nosebleed was all I needed to do to make you behave, I would have hit myself in the face at the start. There, I’m done with that part. That’s the worst of it, I think.”

“What’s next?”

“Well, I’ll want to go over your coat again with the body brush and the finishing brush, but I don’t think you’ll find those quite so trying. Then your mane. Then your hooves.”

“My—?” Rainbow swallowed.

“You’ll cooperate, right?”

Rainbow swallowed again. The fur on her forehead grew damp and a few trickles of sweat ran down her cheeks.

“Hey, stop that!” Megan cried. “Now I have to clean your face off.”

After finishing with Rainbow’s coat, Megan set up a rickety card table and laid out the items she needed to groom a mane—a bowl of water, a water brush, a mane comb, a set of mane bands, and a needle and thread.

Rainbow narrowed her eyes as she peered at the needle. “What’s this for?”

“To hold the braids in place. This is going to take me a little time, so do you want a hay bag?”

“Excuse me?”

“Never mind. Just hold still so I don’t poke you.” She began to comb.

“You’re pulling.”

“Well, your mane’s ratty!” Surprised at her own irritation, Megan took a deep breath before adding, “You know, back in Dream Valley, all the rainbow ponies knew how to manage their hair.”

“All the what?”

“Never mind. But not every pony gets to have a striped mane like this. You should take care of it.”

“I take care of it just fine.”

“It looks like you hacked it with pruning shears.” Megan struggled to tug her comb through the tangles.

“You’re pulling again!”

Megan paused, put the comb down, and ran her fingers over Rainbow’s mane. She had forgotten how different the ponies’ hair was from that of an ordinary horse. Even this neglected mane was silky and soft, thick and full but as fine as the finest human hair. When she was smaller, Molly had often asked Megan to brush her hair for her and put in her pigtails, and during their visits to Dream Valley, Megan had spent a lot of time brushing the ponies’ hair as well.

“This isn’t working,” said Megan. “Stay here. I’ll be back.”

She tromped off to the house and reached it just as Molly, dressed in sneakers and pink overalls, barreled out the front door.

“About time you got up,” Megan said. “I hope you’re planning to clean your saddles.”

“I am.” Molly grinned and skipped. “I am so excited about today! When I come out riding a pretty pony, every other girl is going to be so jealous!”

“You’ve got your riding clothes ready, I hope.”

Molly laughed. “Relax, sis. I know how to do this.”

“Good. Go back upstairs and get me your hairbrush.”

“What?”

“Now.”

Molly crossed her arms. “Why don’t you just go get yours?”

“I don’t want to take my boots off. You’re in sneakers. Go.”

“Why my hairbrush? Why not—?”

Now, Molly!”

Molly spun around, mimicked Megan’s voice under her breath, and stomped back into the house. She returned a minute later with a hair-filled pink brush, which she slapped into Megan’s hand. “What do you need this for, anyway?”

“Brushing ponies. What do you think I need it for?”

“Ooh! Can I help?”

“Go clean your tack.”

“Augh! You’ve been such a grouch this week!” Molly stuck out her tongue and stomped away.

Megan returned to the barn and began brushing Rainbow’s mane. “I think this will work a lot better,” she said.

“You’re still pulling,” Rainbow answered.

After Megan finished brushing, she started putting bunches of Rainbow’s hair into bands.

“Don’t mix the colors, please,” said Rainbow. “Especially the blue and green.”

“I’m being careful. All the colors will be in separate plaits.”

“But what are you doing exactly?”

“It’s called a button braid.” Megan took off the first of the bands, braided the clump of hair, and then, folding the braid over on itself, took up the needle and thread to sew it into place. “There.” She held up a mirror for Rainbow. “See what I’m doing?”

Rainbow twisted her head back and forth, trying to catch a glimpse of the back of her own neck. “What the hay? That looks awful.”

“It makes your mane look tidy.”

“It makes my mane look stupid.

Megan grabbed Rainbow’s chin, wrenched her head around, and met her eyes. “Listen, Ambassador, putting you in a horse show, as I’ve said repeatedly, was not my idea. Dressage requires braided manes. You want to be in the show, you have to follow the rules. Got it?”

“Yeah, I got it. Sheesh, I never expected Magog the Mighty to be such a grouch.”

“My name is Megan, thank you.” Megan sewed the rest of the braids along Rainbow’s neck and then turned to her forelock. “I’m going to give you a French braid in the front here. You’ve got a thick forelock, so I think it’ll work well.”

She separated the red, orange, and yellow into three strands and then braided them together. After sewing the forelock in place, she stepped back to examine her work.

“It would look better if the thread matched your hair, but I don’t have that many colors. Overall, I’d say it’s good. So, how do you want your tail? Braided or banged?”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “Banged? What does that mean?”

“I’d cut it off straight at the level of your fetlocks. You ponies’ tails hang funny, but I think I could get it about right.”

“Let’s just do the braid, then.”

Megan ran her fingers through Rainbow’s tail to undo the tangles. Then she took up the brush again. Holding the hair firmly with one hand, she brushed in small sections to avoid yanking hairs out of Rainbow’s dock. Then, starting at the top with the short hairs and working her way down, she braided Rainbow’s tail without incident.

“How does that feel?” she asked when finished.

Rainbow gave her tail a swish. “It feels kinda heavy.”

“That’s normal, I think. What would you say if I tied a ribbon around your dock?”

Rainbow looked over her shoulder. “Seriously?”

“Ponies look naked without them.”

“The braiding’s bad enough. No ribbons.”

“Okay, fine. Hoof time. It would be best if I could’ve had a professional farrier take a look, but we don’t have that option—”

Megan paused. Sweat trickled down Rainbow’s face again.

“Something wrong, Ambassador?”

With an obviously forced smile, Rainbow lifted a front hoof and waved it. “I, uh, think my hooves look fine, don’t you? Probably don’t need to do anything with those.”

“We’ll want to pick and black them at least.”

“I mean, we did the coat, did the mane, did the tail. Nopony’s gonna care about my hooves, right?”

You should care. It looks to me like you need a trim.” Megan walked into the barn to grab her hoof stand and other equipment, but when she walked back out, Rainbow was nowhere to be seen. She tossed the stand into the ground. “Oh, for crying out—! Rainbow Dash! Where are you?”

Something thuddded against the barn’s galvanized roof. She looked up to see Rainbow peeking down at her over the edge.

“Get down here right now, dammit, before you mess up your mane.”

“I think we can skip the hooves,” Rainbow said.

“I think we can’t. Rainbow Dash, you are really starting to piss me off.”

“What does that mean?”

“I’m getting mad. You wanna see a legendary warrior when she’s mad?”

Rainbow shuffled, cleared her throat, and said, “I really don’t like anypony touching my hooves.”

“You’re in luck. I’m not a pony.”

“Just skip it. Please?”

Megan ran her fingers through her hair and squeezed her eyes shut. Her head throbbed.

After staring at the ground and tapping her foot for almost a minute, she took a deep breath and said, “Okay, look. You like to think you’re cool, right? Tough? Athletic?”

“Yeah—”

“Well, you know what’s really cool, tough, and athletic? A mustang. You know what that is?”

“Yeah!” Rainbow took off and flew a circle in the air. “They go thunderin’ through the desert, runnin’ wherever they want—”

“Exactly. And you know what mustangs have? The mustang roll.”

Rainbow frowned and began lowering herself toward the ground. “Which is?”

“Hold up a hoof.”

Rainbow shot into the air again.

“I promise not to touch it! Just hold it up and look at it. See the front of it there? See the little bulge above your toe?”

“Yeah—”

“That’s where the wall is breaking. Because you’re not spending your days running around on hard rocks like a mustang, your hooves are growing out too far. Walking damages the wall and makes a bulge, and you risk cracking a hoof.”

“So—”

“So you need a trim.” Megan waved a small, curved rasp. “I may not be a farrier, but I’ve trimmed a few hooves in my day. I can give you a pretty good imitation of a mustang roll, and after I do, your feet will feel better.”

Rainbow turned her hoof back and forth as she peered at it. Another drop of sweat ran down her cheek.

“Please don’t make this harder than it has to be, Rainbow.”

Rainbow lowered, closed her wings, and stared at the ground. She swallowed hard, and her voice cracked as she said, “I just . . . I just don’t do hooficures.”

“I don’t even know what that is. I do trims. You’ll be able to run faster if I do this, and you’ll be less likely to hurt your hooves.”

Rainbow looked up. “It’s for athletes, then?”

“Yes. You need your hooves trimmed regularly if you want to be a good athlete.”

After a minute more, Rainbow launched into the air, flew a tight loop, and landed again with a thump. She took a deep breath and said, “Let’s do this.”

A lump formed in Megan’s throat and the rasp slipped from her hand. She remembered what she had thought and how she had felt when she had first seen Rainbow’s muzzle peeking from the well. When Rainbow had flown the loop, she had felt the same thing again.

Now fumbling, Megan took a hoof knife and ran a hand down the back of Rainbow’s front right cannon. Rainbow’s leg lifted, and Megan gripped the hoof and began to scrape. With a loud hiss, the blade slid along the hard tissue, pulling up mud and grit.

Rainbow trembled and jerked her leg, but Megan held tight.

“I didn’t stab your frog, did I?”

Rainbow shook her head.

Megan kept working. “You’ve got good cups.”

“Thanks.” Rainbow’s voice was barely above a whisper.

“Thick walls, too.”

“Uh huh.”

Squeezing Rainbow’s fetlock between her own knees, Megan trimmed the bars and frog, and then took nippers and cut the wall back. After that, she gave the pony a moment of respite as she set up her hoof stand. Having done that, she found the rasp she’d dropped and again reached for Rainbow’s leg.

She paused when she saw Rainbow tremble again. Looking up, she caught Rainbow’s face in profile: the pony’s ears were laid back, and a fresh bead of perspiration meandered down her cheek from under her forelock. With eyes half-closed and mouth silently working, Rainbow looked curiously small and frightened.

Megan straightened, put the rasp down, and walked away.

“What’s up?” Rainbow said. “I’ll hold still. I’ll—”

Rubbing her temples, Megan shook her head. “I’ve been taking it out on you.”

“What?”

“You remind me of somebody.”

“Some . . . buddy? A friend of yours?”

“Yes, you could call her a friend—of sorts. I found her in there.” Megan waved toward the old well. “Same place I found you. Firefly. She first took me to Dream Valley.”

“Really? I thought you walked into the Valley of Dreams on the Rainbow Bridge and then pulled the rainbow out of the sky and fought monsters with it.”

“I think the story’s been embellished.”

“So, was this Firefly awesome?”

“She was a lot like you. Loved stunt flying. She helped me fight Tirek.” Megan ran a hand over her own face and realized a few tears had run from her eyes. “I didn’t really see her much after that. To be honest, I avoided her.”

“Why?”

Megan bit her lip, turned, and stared at the well. “I was angry.” She rubbed her hands together and felt the calluses at the bases of her fingers. “She climbed out of that well and told me I was perfect and wonderful, that I was going to be some big hero if I just jumped on her back. I was a little kid and didn’t know any better. I went with her, and that began two years of pure hell.”

The sky had lightened now and the stars had faded. The Rainbow Bridge stood stark against the blue. Megan wondered what she’d see if she asked Rainbow Dash to carry her over it. “Don’t get me wrong. I loved the ponies, and I loved Dream Valley. But Tirek scared me to death. For months afterwards, I had nightmares about him and woke up screaming. And I didn’t know, when I turned the Rainbow of Light on him, that it was going to kill him.”

She sank to her knees. “After that, it was a long time before I could bring myself to go back to Ponyland again. I felt all twisted up. I told myself that I’d saved the ponies, that I’d done a good thing, but then I’d remember how Tirek screamed when he died.”

She wiped her cheeks. “Just as I thought maybe I was working things out and could put it all behind me, another monster showed up. Then another. And another. And the ponies always ran to me.

She pressed her palms against her eyes until she saw white flashes. “One morning, when I got up, the Rainbow Bridge was gone. I was happy, because it meant I didn’t have to fight anymore. But I felt awful for feeling happy. Every night afterwards, I tossed in bed, almost in a panic, wondering if the ponies were still alive, wondering if something had finally destroyed the valley, wondering if they could get on without me.” Laughing faintly, she shrugged and pulled her forearm across her face. “I guess you didn’t need me after all.”

Megan felt something solid fall gently on her shoulder. She turned her head to look and was surprised to see Rainbow Dash’s freshly trimmed hoof. “You know,” Rainbow said softly, “you did save the ponies. Twilight’s the egghead, and I don’t read a lot of history, but from what I understand, there wouldn’t be any Equestria today without you. There’s even a statue of you in Canterlot.”

Megan laughed again. “Ugh, really?”

“Well . . . it doesn’t look anything like you, but it’s there.”

Megan reached her hand to her shirt and felt for the locket again. “I wish I’d left the Rainbow of Light with the ponies, and I really wish I hadn’t avoided Firefly. We should have had it out.”

“What would you have said to her?”

Staring at the ground, Megan shrugged. “It doesn’t matter now.”

With a grin on her muzzle, Rainbow walked around, faced Megan, and placed a hoof against her cheek. “Well, maybe Firefly’s gone, but if she’s as awesome as you say, she could be an ancestress of mine. So having me here is kinda like having her, right?”

“I guess—”

“What do you need to say?”

Megan chewed her lip for a minute as she thought. Then she smiled and, mimicking Rainbow’s gesture, touched Rainbow’s cheek. “If she were here, I’d say, Firefly, I am mad as hell at you for grabbing a little girl and dragging her off to another world without even telling her why.”

“What else?”

“I’m mad as hell at you for making me risk my life day after day.”

“What else?”

“I’m mad as hell at you for making me kill someone.”

“And?”

“And . . . thank you for believing in me.” Megan swallowed. Her tears started afresh. “And thank you for introducing me to your friends. And I’m sorry. For everything.” She fell forward and wrapped her arms around Rainbow’s neck.

Nuzzling Megan’s hair, Rainbow whispered, “Hey. Don’t mess up my plaits.”

Megan laughed, but a few minutes passed before she pulled away.

“So, should we finish my hooves sometime today?” asked Rainbow with a wink.

“Yes, Ambassador. Yes, let’s.”


Just as Megan finished sanding and blacking Rainbow’s hooves, a shadow passed over the sun. Thinking it was a cloud, Megan glanced up and gasped. A pink airship was lowering out of the sky.

The ship’s balloon was stenciled with curving green vines and bright red hearts, and the gondola hanging beneath had the shape of a small boat with a tiny cabin and a wraparound deck. Leaning over the bulwark were five grinning ponies. As the ship touched down in the yard, Applejack jumped from the deck and lashed an anchor rope to the well.

Megan reorganized her supplies as the ponies climbed from the boat and walked toward the barn. As soon as the ponies had all gathered, Rainbow Dash strutted back and forth in front of them.

“Magog,” Twilight Sparkle said, “you’ve met the others, right?”

Megan nodded. “Last week, remember?”

“I must say, Rainbow Dash,” said Rarity, “your new coiffure is most becoming. Magog, darling, I’ve been trying for years to convince her to restyle her hair. How did you do it?”

“I have a way with ponies.” From among her supplies, Megan pulled a long purple ribbon and checked it over for runs and snags.

“She does look good,” said Twilight, rubbing her chin, “but the black hooves are kind of weird. Didn’t you have blue?”

“We don’t really do blue hoof polish around here, but I don’t think anybody’s going to be looking at her hooves anyway.” Megan put a finger to her lips and tiptoed up behind Rainbow. Rainbow didn’t notice, but the other ponies struggled to suppress giggles.

Rainbow frowned and began to turn her head, but Rarity grabbed her chin. “And she’s positively glowing,” Rarity said loudly. “How did you make her coat so glossy?”

“It’s a spray called show sheen.” Megan bent down and, as carefully as she could, tied a bow around Rainbow’s dock. “A little of that and she’s sure to knock everybody’s socks off.”

“Every buddy?” said Applejack. “Well, it’ll all be fine, then. These humans must be right nice folks if’n they all call each other buddy.”

Megan smiled and shook her head. “Silly pony.” She finished the bow and stepped back.

Applejack covered her mouth and snorted.

"What's going on?" Rainbow slipped from Rarity’s grasp and spun around. “Are you doing something back there?”

“Nothing at all, Rainbow. Just checking your braids.”

Pinkie bounced around the yard. “Ooh! Ooh! Maybe the humans’ll like us so much, they’ll all wanna have a big party!

Megan laughed. “Listen, Surpri—er, I mean . . . whatever your name was. Pinkie? Ambassador Pinkie. Let’s just get through the show first. We can worry about parties later.”

Her ears drooping, Pinkie sat hard on the ground. “Awwww—”

“But if this goes well,” Megan added, “and doesn’t turn into an interdimensional disaster, I will personally throw all of you the best and biggest pony party you’ve ever seen.”

“Yippee!” Pinkie leapt into the air and backflipped. “Oh, it will be so wonderful. We’ll have balloons and cake and ice cream, and we’ll all wear fancy dresses and play Pin the Tail on the Pony and—”

Megan cleared her throat and Pinkie fell silent. “Now,” Megan said, “who’s next?”

The ponies turned and looked at Fluttershy, who was trying to hide behind the barn door.

“Oh,” Fluttershy whispered. “Oh . . . my.”

Author's Note:

The depictions of plaiting manes and treating hooves are as accurate as I can make them. Any errors are my own and not my sources’.

In the television special Escape from Catrina, Megan tricks a naughty group of baby ponies into taking a nap. After watching “Ponyville Confidential,” in which Rainbow Dash mentions that she doesn’t like anypony touching her hooves, I immediately thought that Megan, with her skill at manipulating ponies, might be able to talk Rainbow into a hooficure. I’m glad I finally found an excuse to write about that.

The symbols on the ponies’ hips were not called cutie marks until G3.

Rainbow ponies are one of the many lines of G1 toys. They have manes striped with multiple colors.

G1 ponies, of course, have bows around the bases of their tails.

G4’s Rainbow Dash is based on G1’s Firefly. The double inside-out loop Megan mentions is Firefly’s signature flying stunt. Firefly introduces Megan to Ponyland, but disappears after the first television special. Oddly, even though Firefly takes the initiative in entering the human world and seizing Megan to be the ponies’ savior, a picture book has Firefly saying she dislikes human children, which is a rather shocking thing for a pony to say. There's another fan fiction story in there somewhere.

Pinkie Pie is based on G1’s Surprise, hence Megan's momentary name confusion.