• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 20,386 Views, 2,015 Comments

Feathered Heart - Demon Eyes Laharl



The exploration of the Gryphon Kingdom and the love between a human and a griffin. While securing trade routes, Gilda reminisces how the humans arrive, the trials they face together, and the one who stole her heart. Set in the Gentlemanverse.

  • ...
52
 2,015
 20,386

Chapter 11

To Gilda, the War Room in Aricia looked almost identical in the one on Arnau. It was an enclosed circular room, with banners representing Southern Colors hanging down at angles to form pseudo-walls, and windows only just big enough to let light in. Designed to allow the most privacy without the use of magic, the War Room was considered the safest place in a garrison from roaming eyes and ears.

Of course, the familiarity of it was more important for Gilda, as it was a small and much needed comfort for her, especially when she was given the responsibility of leading the current meeting. She tried to recall the times she had been present in any previous meetings, tried to remember how Captain Narada seemed to carry herself. Gilda went even deeper, recalling her time as a cub as she peeked through the crack of her father’s door as he, too, led a similar meeting.

She was just glad she didn’t flinch when the all of the centurions’ eyes were at her when she entered the room. She could hear Giraldi whisper a small praise of her acting professionally as he slowly and subtly led her forward. The centurions cleared the way as they reached them, making a path towards the center of the circular room, where she could see a raised rectangular platform filled with sand.

Behind where Aricia was supposed to be represented in the platform was Fillius, who was staring at Corporal Imlay, whose face seemed to be carved in stone. Giraldi gave her a sharp nod before he placed himself beside Imlay, while she situated between the First Spear and the Corporal.

“Is everyone present?” Gilda asked in Aeric. She looked around and saw all griffins nodding, except for Giraldi, who translated her words to Imlay.

“All centurions are accounted for, sir,” Fillius replied, looking at her for a moment before staring at Imlay. “Spear Centurion Giraldi insisted in bringing our… human guests to the meeting. He said you approved.”

“I did.”

“No offense intended, sir, but are you sure that’s wise?” Fillius asked. He looked at Imlay again. “This meeting is about planning our defensive strategies. The humans, I believe, are not yet our allies.”

There was a murmur amongst the centurions, agreeing with the First Spear. Gilda looked towards Imlay, who gave her a subtle nod and a small smile. She didn’t know whether to be glad or nervous that the Corporal was trusting her to represent him and his Marines to her people.

“While I appreciate your candor and vigilance,” she began, “you’re wrong, First Spear. The cloven have indiscriminately attacked them, bringing their non-combatants within our walls. Whether you like it or not, they are here to help. And considering the situation, I doubt they will betray us.”

Fillius frowned, only to nod a few moments later. “As you say, sir.”

“Good. Then, what’s the first step of our defenses?”

“We have to regroup our ranks,” Fillius replied. He nodded to a eagless centurion beside him, who handed him a rolled parchment. “As I said earlier, the initial attack had cost us all of our officers. Until the Captain returns, I suggest we temporarily assign centurions as acting Tribunes for Logistica, Tactica, Auxiliaris, and Medica.” Fillius handed her the parchment. “I recommend these centurions.”

“No Knight Tribune, or one for Strategica?” Gilda asked as she unrolled the document.

“The garrison doesn’t have a full legion, and our numbers are small enough that we don’t need Knight Tribunes. As for Strategica… well, there’s no need for any long-term strategies because if reinforcements don’t arrive before the month is over, I doubt we’ll still be standing.”

Gilda nodded as she continued to read the parchment. She recognized a few names. “Centurion Aelia.”

The eagless that handed the parchment to Fillius straightened. “Yes, sir?”

“If I remember correctly, your father is a tradesgriffin.”

“Yes, sir,” Aelia replied. “I have been taught early on how to assign supplies where needed. I am also familiar with the steadholders in Aricia.”

Gilda nodded. Aelia was a good choice for a Tribune Logistica. “I’m giving you authorization to handle the logistics that are needed for our defense. You are also assigned a maximum of two griffins to help you with your duties.”

Aelia nodded, saluting, leaving Gilda once more to look at the parchment. She read out an unfamiliar name. “Centurion Faustus?”

An older tiercel stepped up and saluted. “Sir,” he said, with a heavy accent that was common in the Southern Farmlands. Considering how muscled he was, he could have been a local earth-griffin. In addition, his age was obvious, and Gilda hoped that it translated to experience. He’d be good as a Tactica.

“You are assigned a maximum of one helper.”

“Yes, sir.”

The last two candidates as temporary Tribunes for Auxiliaris and Medica on the list were both centurions Gilda had known as well. Varinius was one of the centurions that commanded her and the rest of the Auxiliary Guards when she was assigned to the South. Looking at him, she said, “Centurion Varinius, you are assigned two helpers.”

When the tiercel nodded, Gilda looked at Floriana, the one suggested to take in as the Medica. Her family had been a long line of healers, even producing one or two mages who also concentrated on the healing arts. She was no different, with an intense interest in healing herbs, as well as being level-headed enough to lead. Turning to her, Gilda said, “You are assigned a maximum of five helpers.”

“Thank you, sir,” Floriana replied modestly.

Turning to the First Spear, Gilda had to admit that Fillius hadn’t lost his edge. The tinge of jealousy she experienced earlier had come back, but muted as she felt relief that she had griffins that were competent enough that in the case she made a mistake, it wasn’t going to kill them all. Rolling up the parchment once more, and handing it to him, she asked, “Alright, First Spear. What do we have?”

“Before Auxiliary Guard Gletscher had advised us of your situation, our scouts have been gathering information on Cloven Clusters that have been established before we could initiate scorching protocols,” Fillius replied, motioning towards Faustus.

The tiercel nodded, and with an extended claw, he began to mark the surface with a single digit. He began to draw circles a few paces away from Aricia, slowly fanning it farther away.

“With quick deployment, we were able to burn down the nearest steadholts to our location,” Faustus began, crossing out the nearby circles.

Burn down?” Imlay asked Giraldi. “Why would you burn down steadholts?”

“Scorching protocols were laid down after our first fight with the cloven,” Giraldi explained. “Remember when I explained to you that they reproduce fast? They do so by by establishing Clusters in places where they can absorb sustenance from soil or plants. Steadholts are primary targets they will use to establish bases, so we burn down crops and salt the soil. We also poison the wells.”

Imlay nodded, but frowned at the same time. “That’s… a little self-destructive. But I think I understand.”

“Can we get on with it?” Fillius asked. Giraldi gave him a look and didn’t bother to translate what was said to Imlay.

“Continue,” Gilda replied calmly.

Faustus nodded. “However, we weren’t able to stop the cloven from establishing Clusters in these steadholts,” he said, pointing towards six circles, which formed a loose diamond shape. “These three”—he pointed towards the three nearest Clusters from Aricia—“are steadily producing cloven soldiers. We are unable to gather intelligence on the central Cluster, but we believe that this base may be holding the Overlord leading the cloven in this area.”

Gilda frowned. “And we’re sure that there won’t be any other cloven forces outside these four Clusters?”

“Ancestors, I hope not,” Varinius muttered. When she gave him a look, he immediately saluted, stepping forward. “Sir, to clarify, any outside cloven forces should be busy fighting other remnants of the Southern Legions.”

That was pretty much leaning on hope, but Gilda didn’t want to demoralize Aricia’s defenders, especially when she could only speculate. Maybe fortune would finally be on their side, and that any outside Cloven were too busy to get interested in them. Turning to Faustus, she asked, “So, what are our options in running a defensive campaign?”

Faustus began drawing the three-line symbol of a griffin claw in certain areas. “Our intended plan was to establish a five defensive lines. However, we don’t have enough soldiers to maintain something that long. We also lack enough Wind Knights to act as our flankers.” He then began to draw diamond shapes between the Clusters and the griffin claws. “Best I could come up with are traps meant to delay their arrival, weaken them before they arrive at our gates. If we also spread out the defensive lines enough, we can crush the first wave that passes through the traps, plant more, and wait for the second. That is, if they don’t overwhelm us on the first try.”

“There is also an alternative,” Imlay suddenly spoke up.

Gilda and Giraldi blinked, surprised enough that it took a while for the latter to translate what he just said for the rest of the griffins.

“What do you mean, Corporal Imlay?” Gilda asked in Aeric.

When Giraldi finished translating, Imlay replied, “Playing defensively when we have an opponent that could zerg-rush—”

“Wait, zerg-rush?” Giraldi asked.

“Overwhelm us in numbers,” Imlay clarified. “As I said, playing defensively against an opponent like that is tantamount to suicide.”

When the message was expressed in Aeric, Fillius looked at the Corporal. “And what would you suggest? To attack them?”

“Yes,” was the simple reply.

Fillius scoffed. He wasn’t the only griffin that did. The First Spear looked at Gilda for a moment, face in disbelief. “Sir, you didn’t tell me humans were stupid.”

“Don’t translate that, Giraldi,” Gilda declared quickly, earning her a look from the Spear Centurion, as if asking her if she thought of him stupid.

“He speaks madness, sir,” Fillius continued, shaking his head. “Why would he order an offensive campaign with our numbers with an opponent like the Cloven?”

That got translated. “It sounds crazy, yes,” Imlay replied, not looking remotely offended. “And understandable, considering how you guys fight.”

“And, pray tell, what do you mean by that?” Fillius asked.

“Your soldiers fight with tight formations, using discipline to stem tides, cutting down those in front of you with efficiency,” Imlay replied. “We fought like that, thousands of years ago. I will admit, it is, defensively, your biggest strengths. However, offensively, you still need numbers to keep switching those in front lines.” He looked at Gilda. “We don’t need numbers, and you can attest to this, ma’am.”

Fillius looked at Gilda for an explanation. “First Spear, the Marines fight quite differently from us.” She motioned towards the black rifle that Imlay was carrying. “That is a gun, their weapon. It is like a crossbow, except more powerful and can hit farther targets. They can also shoot out projectiles much faster.”

The tiercel looked at the tube-like weapon for a moment before shaking his head. “Is that true?”

“I have personally witnessed them stopping a group of charging grass lions. They died even before reaching us.”

Fillius looked thoughtful for a moment. “A powerful weapon… however, still, with a limited number, what hope could we achieve in taking an offensive role? We cannot eliminate the Clusters, especially in such short distances from each other. It’ll take too much time to raze one to the ground before we get surrounded.”

“You are under the impression that I’m suggesting on laying siege to their bases,” Imlay said, shaking his head. “While uncontested, my Marines could probably do that, what I’m proposing is to disrupt their movements.

“Like you, these cloven seem to fight in formations as well. They may not use phalanx tactics or shieldwalls, they still rely on their numbers to overwhelm. That takes planning and time.” Imlay extended his own finger, looking at Faustus. “May I?”

When the tiercel nodded, Imlay began to draw on the sand as well. “While we are of small numbers, we’re trained to cut through enemy lines and disrupt their plans.” He drew an arrow towards the east-most cluster. “We hit the Cluster, fast and hard enough to surprise them. Whether they can muster up a formation or not, we can cut down their numbers quickly and efficiently, even raze the ground until up to a certain point. And when that point is reached…” he then drew an arrow going away.

Fillius blinked, studying the plan. “You are applying Wind Knight flanking maneuvers. To hit something, creating a sort of weak spot. However, you are aware that they will cover it up immediately. The way the clusters are positioned, they will send reinforcements easily.”

“Yes,” Imlay nodded, then continuing from the arrow that moved away from the cluster, he then drew two arrows, both going to the nearby clusters. “Once the enemy is committed to defending that certain breach, we move to the next. We hit them again, hopefully on the Cluster that sent more troops, and do more damage.”

“If this can be done, I can see the merit of this tactic,” Faustus said. “It is like setting up mobile traps. This can weaken the enemy, delay them so they won’t overwhelm our defenses.”

“How many Clusters can you hit in a day, Corporal?” Gilda asked.

“It depends on the lay of the land, how fast the cloven can respond, and how big the area we’re talking about,” Imlay listed.

“This will take some doing,” Fillius muttered. “You will need a scouting party fast enough to warn you of the other Clusters’ movements.”

“I can take care of those details,” Imlay replied. “We have a means of communicating almost instantaneously.”

Fillius frowned. “Even so… I still can’t believe with small numbers we can cause enough damage to disrupt them.”

“True, griffins would not be able to do this,” the Corporal said neutrally. “However, we Marines are different. We’ll disrupt them enough that hopefully, they won’t mount an offensive long enough for us to get our reinforcements.”

The First Spear shook his head. Looking at Gilda, he gave her a inquiring look. She responded with a smile. Shaking his head, Fillius then said, “I shall leave the decision to you, sir.”

“We’ll see how it works out,” Gilda replied, “then we can expand on that proposal. However, I’d still like to hear your defensive plans.”

Faustus nodded. “Setting up defensive lines isn’t really a problem. While we haven’t fought in a real war for years, we have kept our training and made mock campaigns over the years. Our training is very much sufficient. It’s the numbers that will give us problems. That’s why we’re trying to set up traps. Unfortunately, that’s not going well on our end.”

“What do you mean?” Gilda asked.

“The traps we will need will be mostly magical in nature,” Fillius explained. “And we already have a limited amount of mages to work with.”

“We can try and make more conventional traps,” Faustus continued, “but they won’t be as effective.”

“Better than nothing,” Gilda replied. “Maybe we can deploy a mix of both, as not to tire out our mages.”

“Yes, sir,” Faustus said, nodding, before moving out of the way, thus ending his report. For a moment, Gilda silently wondered if the Marines were to enact their plans, would that give them more time to set up the traps?

Aelia came next. Standing forward, she bared her neck and saluted. “Sir, my report.”

“Go ahead.”

Handed a rolled parchment, Gilda immediately unrolled it and read. It was an enumeration of supplies, as well as number of workers, either blacksmiths or farmers. There was also a helpful summary after each group of related items. At first, Gilda worried that they hadn’t enough weapons for defending Aricia; it wasn’t the case. However…

“We can’t be that low on food,” Gilda said, disbelieving.

“Unfortunately, sir, we are,” Aelia replied. “Aricia hadn’t been slacking, but with the unexpected increase of refugees and the losses of our steadholts, our food supply won’t last for a month.”

Gilda frowned. “Was our presence also accounted here?”

Aelia nodded. “Yes, sir. Though Spear Centurion Giraldi informed me that the humans have their own food supplies with them.”

“I love Storage Gems,” Imlay commented. Giraldi chuckled, but stayed silent, opting not to translate what he said.

“So this is what you meant that we won’t last a month if the reinforcements don’t come,” Gilda asked Fillius, who only nodded in agreement. Sighing, she looked back at the list, and thanked the Ancestors that the city had two wells and a nearby stream for water.

Soldiers could survive weeks without food. They wouldn’t last days without water, though.

“We can try and organize a hunt for game meats nearby,” Aelia said. “However, I doubt we’d be be able to expand our food stores in a way that would be truly beneficial.”

“Every little bit helps,” Gilda said. “See if you can get that done without cutting efficiency, though. I’d rather not have our soldiers tired because they are playing both hunters and defenders.”

“Understood.”

Floriana stepped forward this time. “I’m happy to report that our stores of medical supplies are full,” she began. “We also have an adequate amount of apprentice mages to assist us. As per protocol, they are the ones that have yet to learn to summon elements.”

Gilda nodded. Mages were pretty valuable in any battle, but it took a certain skill level before they were Knighted and brought to the battlefield. Having potential mages safe and behind front lines while giving them training to use their magic was a good long-term plan of investment.

Varinius, the acting Auxiliaris, was the last to step forward. He gave Gilda a small grin as he saluted, probably a silent way of reminding her that he still had some good stories to tell the others if she went after him for any reason. The eagless just rolled her eyes, as if to tell him that he might have forgotten that she, too, had stories to tell about him. He wisely chose to just give his report.

“Auxiliary Guards are a working as temporary Peacekeepers as well as our secondary scouts. Noncombatants have all been relocated, even those that were displaced since our new additions. There were small, vocal protests, but nothing to worry about. However, sir, I’ve been approached by our Equestrian Liason, and the limited earth ponies we have want to help with the defense.”

Gilda frowned thoughtfully, then looked at Aelia. She stepped forward, and said, “Unfortunately, sir, our blacksmiths are already focused on working on shields and weapons. We do have some armor we can improvise to fit Ponies, but…” she trailed off, looking at Faustus.

“Incorporating them to our formations is risky,” the tiercel replied. “We have been making use of their talents, having them push carriages to help move old and injured refugees around, but from what I heard, they seem to want to get more involved.”

Varinius nodded. “I can vouch for that.”

Before Gilda could think or comment on that, Imlay spoke up once more. “That could be useful.”

Giraldi faced him. “What do you mean?” he asked.

“If these earth ponies want to get involved, I may have a plan.”

Okay, that got her attention. “What is it?” she asked, speaking in Equestrian.

“Maybe later, when this meeting is over,” Imlay replied. “I’m still working on it in my head.”

The eagless nodded and turned back towards the rest of the griffins. Fillius looked a little curious, but he didn’t say anything. Gilda then glanced at the acting officers and asked, “Any more to report?”

All of them shook of their heads. Nodding, she reviewed the whole meeting in her head, and realized that she had gotten through without any hiccups. Barring a few spoken words, everything was as professional as she’d imagined. Fillius was on top of things, and he wasn’t actively trying to defy her, which was good. There had been many examples of armies doing poorly if the Captain and First Spear were antagonistic to each other. She was also thankful for Imlay’s presence. His suggestions could potentially open a few options unavailable to them, and he was professional enough to not rise to open baits Fillius was leaving.

Hopefully, Fillius would learn to respect the Corporal as a fellow warrior. If not, well, she could make sure that they wouldn’t work together long enough to cause any friction.

The meeting ended with a small reverence towards the Ancestors before Fillius and the rest of the Centurions saluted to Gilda, baring their necks as well. Gilda returned the salute. Faustus and another centurion began to erase the drawings in the sand, then afterwards, the First Spear began to march the rest of the Centurions out.

“Sir?” Fillius asked when he noticed Gilda, Giraldi, and Imlay staying in their places.

“I need to speak with Corporal Imlay in regards to his plans,” Gilda replied.

“Shall we stay, then?”

Gilda shook her head. “Maybe another time, First Spear. I’ll have you briefed if we ever employ them.”

Fillius nodded, and soon enough, the room was empty save for the two griffins and one human. After a silent moment, Gilda looked towards Imlay, and said, “This plan of yours… will it work?”

“That really depends on how well we scout the area,” he replied, “and how fast we can get my Marines around. I meant it when I said that we don’t use tight formations, but we still need to create situations for crossfire.”

“Crossfire?” Giraldi asked.

Imlay pointed towards the sand. “May I?”

Gilda nodded, and the Corporal began to draw a circle.

“Crossfire is basically a situation where where we attack the opponent from two or more directions,” Imlay began. He drew a line south of the circle, then on the east. He began to draw arrows from those lines going towards the circle. “This is a basic scenario. Though we got enough practise to work on others, like this.” He then erased the two straight lines, and created two slanting lines, southeast and southwest of the circle. He too added arrows coming from the lines, pointing towards the circle. “There are many more, but you can understand where I’m going with this.”

Gilda nodded, the formation being somewhat similar to Wind Knight attack patterns using crossbows. The humans probably also had the same rule of not creating a situation where they’d shoot each other, more so when these guns are far more powerful than a crossbow, and with further reach.

“However, like I said earlier, we need to know the area,” Imlay continued. “We need to know what formations we can viably use, potential traps, and areas for ambushes.”

“We have maps that you can use,” Giraldi offered.

“Thanks,” the Corporal replied. “Depending on how you draw your maps, however, we’ll still have to check the area. That means we need to carry my Marines in place, like what we did back on that steadholt.”

Giraldi frowned. “That could prove more difficult in this situation. The area is much bigger than the steadholt. We haven’t even tested the tactic for long-distance scenarios. Carrying a Marine back and forth, while planning an attack on more than two places at once would be draining.”

“That’s why I think the earth pony contingent can help us,” Imlay said.

Gilda nodded, understanding. “Use them to transfer Marines from place to place.”

“This will keep griffins fresh just in case we need a quick evac, or to place Marines in hard-to-reach areas,” Imlay added.

“Okay, this may work,” Giraldi said, staring towards the drawings in the sand. “Scout the area, place the Marines, do this… crossfire, as you say? Then, what exactly? I’m still curious on what you have planned to work as an offense.”

“We’ll mostly start out with guerilla tactics,” Imlay replied.

“Guerrilla?” Gilda asked.

“Tactics which rely on ambushes, hit-and-run, and mobility. The idea is that if the army is larger than yours, then they are slower. More so since the Cloven still rely on formations,” Imlay replied. “The main objective is to delay the their big push—their big attack—and make them work on regrouping. We can do this by either attacking weak spots on their formations, or by incapacitating their supply lines, which is basically their bases.”

“The latter is what you suggested earlier, correct?” Gilda asked.

Imlay nodded. “I’d normally start by taking out the nearest Cloven forces marching here. This will give us a good test on how we could work together, especially with the pony transporters. On that point, I hope that whatever griffins assigned to us are the ones we fought with in the steadholt.”

“Makes sense,” Giraldi said, “especially since Fillius called you stupid and said your plans were madness.”

Gilda glared at the Spear Centurion. “Giraldi!”

At the same time, Imlay broke into an amused smile. “Really?”

“I’m sorry, sir, but it’s the truth,” Giraldi shrugged before looking at Imlay. “And yeah. Filius is very traditional. That’s what makes him as a very effective First Spear.”

“He actually said my plans were madness?” Imlay shook his head. “Don’t let Flip-Boy hear that. He’ll start quoting that movie.”

“What movie?” Gilda asked.

Imlay smiled. “Ask him when we’re back to… Arnau,” he replied, though the last word seem to sober him up, making the smile disappear. Shaking his head, he looked towards the sand, as if to remember what had been drawn there earlier.

Gilda understood. While he carried himself well, Imlay knew what lay ahead, and he was probably as nervous as she was. For a moment, there was a tense silence before the Corporal nodded towards Gilda.

“Ma’am, I’ll talk to my Marines,” he began, “and see who’s up for this. Though considering they just got a taste, they’ll want to be kept sated. We’re not going to have shortages here.”

“We’ll work the ponies and the griffins on our end,” Gilda replied, returning the nod. “Corporal Imlay, thank you for your assistance.”

“It was my genuine pleasure,” Imlay replied before making his way back towards the entrance. Gilda watched his back, green-patterned uniform moving slightly as he made his way outside, closing the door behind him.

“He’s nervous,” Gilda said, with a sigh.

“Of course he is,” Giraldi replied. “He’d be stupid to not be.”

“I thought he’d be implacable, like Filius.”

“Filius is nervous too,” Giraldi said. “He’d normally not shun any help, but losing his commanding officer, and not having the Captain present, he’s under a lot of pressure to keep everyone in line. Lashing out slightly to a convenient target was part of that.”

“Is that what it was, really?” Gilda asked.

“In my honest opinion,” Giraldi replied. “Thankfully, a replacement officer arrived, who was smart enough to realize the effectiveness of his suggestions. You let him do his job, when most hatchling officers would try to do everything themselves. You did good, sir.”

“Thanks,” Gilda said, though not honestly feeling she had done much. Still, if Giraldi thought so, then she’d continue on the way she did. Hopefully, they’d all make it out of this one alive.

Giraldi told her to get to rest, and this time, she wasn’t feeling restless anymore—just tired. Walking towards her room, she hung her armor on the stand, removing the command chain and placing it on a nearby stone table. She stared at it for a moment before turning towards the bed. Laying down, she closed her eyes. She could hear shouts of centurions and grunts of griffin soldiers in unison; she could hear the noise of metal hitting metal. The grunts of hard work, sweat, and blood created a cacophony of lives preparing for battle.

Staring at the ceiling, she remembered all the defensive plans their Tactica explained, the suggestions Imlay gave. They had a maximum of one month to hold down the fort, facing against an army of cloven coming their way. There weren’t guarantees that reinforcements would even arrive. Even if she led the Aricia defense perfectly, was she only condemning those under her to starvation and exhaustion?

In that moment, she decided to be there on the frontlines. She wouldn’t be an officer that would ask others what she would not dare to do. Whether leading the defenses with Filius, or even overseeing the Imlay and his Marines, she was going to see this through.

Her earlier conversation with Marco came up, almost as clear as day. She remembered his quiet confidence as he looked at her, smiling as he said those words.

“Lead the defenses, kick some insect ass, and bring us home.”

No one was around to see her nod, her claw clenched, ready. “Yes,” she whispered. “Yes, I will.”

Author's Note:

A small break once more before the action starts. Hopefully, the next chapter will be more action-packed.

Once more, thank you shira, coandco, Permanent Temporary, Eratosthenes, TownCrier, and Ponyboy245. And also another thank you for GIULIO for some last minute prereading. XD