• Published 22nd Dec 2012
  • 4,773 Views, 368 Comments

Dawn of the First Day - Miniscule Literary



A man with nothing to lose finds himself in Equestria. But which version of Equestria is he in?

  • ...
24
 368
 4,773

Complications

With most of the populace still caught up in the confusion at the center of town, Alfonz and Twilight made it to the library in no time at all. As they approached, Twilight swung the door wide with her magic so the two could rush inside without slowing down.

"Thanks for the save," Alfonz breathed, leaning against a nearby couch as he caught his breath. Twilight stood not far away, also trying to recover. "What was all that about anyway?"

"I'm not sure," Twilight responded with some hesitation. Alfonz raised a brow, knowing she was withholding some information, but decided not to press the issue.

"Do you mind if I sit down?"

"Not at all."

A few moments after Alfonz sat down, Twilight joined him. She laid herself across much of the couch, facing him, in a position a dog might assume when laying straight down. The unicorn did nothing but stare at him for several moments.

"Could I ask you a few questions?" she said at last. She seemed a bit nervous.

"I don't see why not," Alfonz replied, glad that something had at least broken the silence. After all, she may have saved his life, so it was the least he could do.

"What exactly are you?"

"A human," he responded plainly, not fully realizing how alien a concept it may be. "Er, its sorta like a monkey, but more advanced and with less hair."

"That's very interesting!" Twilight assured, shifting closer to him. "And I see that you wear clothes. Do you wear those all the time?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Humility and self respect mostly," Alfonz replied, shrugging. "I guess its a cultural thing."

"How does your species..." Twilight began, tapping her chin with a hoof, "...procreate?"

"Uh..." Alfonz began, clearly caught off guard. "By the usual route I guess?" He hesitated. "Why?"

Twilight inched closer, staring.

"Well I think its about time I get going!" Alfonz screamed as he flew out of his seat and took a few hasty steps back. He didn't realize he was speaking in a very high pitch; when he did, he cleared his throat deeply. "I thank you for your hospitality, but I really must be going."

As he made his way toward the door, a sudden tug on his shirt stopped him in his tracks. Looking back, he found a portion of his shirt enveloped in shimmering energy, as if an invisible hand had grabbed part of his clothes, holding him in place.

"What's the rush?" Twilight said coolly, her front hooves on the arm of the couch as she stared at him, her horn glowing. He did not like how she was looking at him. It was the same hungry expression he had gotten from the crowd.

"I mean no disrespect," he began, pulling sharply on his shirt in an effort to free himself. "But I just remembered I have to...uh...wash my dog."

Twilight blushed.

"No, don't you turn that shit into something nasty!"

"Relax!" the unicorn replied with a sly smile, pulling him back from the door by his shirt. Alfonz struggled to regain the lost ground. "Why are you being so difficult?"

"I just want to leave!" Alfonz growled through clenched teeth, using all his strength to force his way toward the door. Suddenly, his shirt was released, and he collided forcefully with the wooden door, falling onto his backside with a hefty thud.

"D-don't you like me...?" Twilight said suddenly, her eyes welling up with tears as she looked at him from the couch.

"I just met you ten minutes ago. Fuck off," Alfonz snarled in response, seeing through her crocodile tears. She dropped the act a moment later, scowling at him.

"Maybe I'm done asking!" she replied, hopping over the arm of the couch and assuming a combat stance, her horn beginning to glow.

"Oh my god this shit can't be happening!" Alfonz yelled in horror, scrambling toward the door in a frenzy. Suddenly, a flash of light engulfed his vision, and he suddenly found the door a few yards away. As he closed the distance once again, the process only continued to repeat.

Twilight seemed dead set on her course of action. Alfonz ran, teleported, and ran some more for several minutes.

"This happened in the show!" the man said to himself, the sound of the constant teleporting drowning out his words. "Wait how did that end for Spike..."

Distracted, the man didn't realize his path had been altered. Colliding forcefully with a table, Alfonz fell to the floor with a short yell, landing on his back. Twilight, with a pleased smile, advanced toward him, blocking him off from the door. Backing up into a corner, he hadn't any place to hide or put more distance between himself and his aggressor.

"Can't we come to some sort of deal?" he pleaded, his hands in front of his face, ready to defend himself. Twilight ceased her advance and appeared to consider his offer.

"You mean like...a kiss?" she asked, blushing.

"I was thinking more along the lines of a handshake."

Twilight was not amused.

"A nice pat on the head?" Alfonz suggested with a terrified smile, watching as Twilight approached with a scowl. "High five? Hair brush? Hug?!"

The unicorn was practically on top of him. The two were nose to nose, with Alfonz slumped against the corner. Suddenly, he grabbed Twilight by her midsection and hoisted her into the air, standing up as he did.

"Wha-Let go of me!" the unicorn cried, struggling in his grip.

"Oh right I forgot how light ponies are," Alfonz murmured, holding the flailing creature at arm's length to avoid being hit. Suddenly, Twilight's horn began to glow. "FLY TWILIGHT!" he screamed as he hurled the unicorn across the room. Twilight cried out in surprise as she soared away, crashing into one of the bookshelves nosily. A number of books were dislodged from their shelves with the impact and partially covered the unicorn at the base in a small pile.

"That's my cue," the man murmured, moving swiftly to the door. He hesitated, however, looking around the library. Despite all the noise, he hadn't seen any sign of Spike. He wondered where the little dragon had gone.

Closing the door to the library behind him, Alfonz quickly took in his surroundings. A few ponies were wandering about in the streets outside, but there did not seem to be a large number of them like before, much to his relief. With all the strange behavior he had seen, he wasn't exactly keen on any further encounters.

But first he would need a place to stay. A hotel was out of the question, that much was sure. Fluttershy had offered her home, but after his encounter with Twilight, he was almost positive the pegasus would attempt something similar. At least with her, however, he could assert some control. Without magic, and with a fairly submissive personality, she probably would not be much of a threat, so long as he did not make her angry.

Oh what horrors awaited if he did.

Then there was the problem of actually reaching the cottage. Rather than risk a repeat performance of earlier, Alfonz thought it best to leave the immediate confines of the town and circle around until he reached his destination.

Although uneventful, his trek back to the cottage was nonetheless informative. The few ponies he encountered on the outskirts of town were easily avoided, but he began to notice a pattern among them. They were all mares; from his first arrival in Ponyville, he hadn't seen a single stallion. This only made his uneasiness grow. No stallions, strange behavior in remaining population. One had caused the other; the question was, which caused which?

By the time Alfonz had the cottage in sight, the sun was setting in the Equestrian sky. His timing was impeccable: 'home' in time for sundown.

Climbing the winding path up to the front door, Alfonz gave a few forceful knocks on the door and waited. A few moments later, the door swung open and revealed Fluttershy standing just inside with a quizzical expression on her features.

"Hi there," the man greeted with a nervous smile, hoping he knew what he was getting into. The pegasus' immediate reaction was shock, then nervousness, then something else.

"Welcome back, Alfonz!" she replied with a smile, fluttering out of the way to allow him entry. The man entered cautiously, remaining on high alert. He would not be caught off guard again.

"So, if you don't mind me cutting to the chase, where will I be sleeping tonight?" Alfonz asked, clapping his hands together expectantly. "Assuming the offer still stands, of course." Fluttershy thought for a moment, then blushed.

"Oh, well...you could sleep in my bed, if you want."

"You'd really give up your bed for me?" Alfonz asked with mock surprise. He knew it wasn't what Fluttershy meant.

"I mean...with me..." the pegasus murmured, barely above a whisper.

"Pass."

"Oh, alright..." Fluttershy responded, her ears flattened against her skull. Alfonz felt a little bad about letting the poor thing down like that, but he was not about to risk further harm or dignity just to make the damn thing happy.

"This couch looks comfy enough," he declared after a few silent moments. It seemed the pegasus did not really plan for him declining her invitation, so he would find the spot himself. "If you have a pillow and a blanket to spare, I'll be all set."

A few minutes passed before Fluttershy retrieved the requested supplies. The blanket was surprisingly large, he found, though the pillow was painfully small. The couch itself was very unfit for a man his height, but it would have to do. After settling himself onto the couch as best he could, he gave a content sigh and closed his eyes. Fluttershy remained nearby, staring.

"If...you get lonely..."

"Good night Fluttershy. Thanks again for your hospitality."

"Right...ok...its no problem..." the pegasus replied with a sigh, before she retreated upstairs to her room. Alfonz let out a sigh of his own, finally relaxing. Who would've known life in Equestria would be so stressful? And not to mention complicated. These were definitely not the ponies he had been expecting.