• Published 22nd Dec 2012
  • 2,835 Views, 43 Comments

Monsters & Other Foalish Things - _Medicshy



Life as a filly isn't always easy. Making friends, trying not to be weird, living with the hard times of your past. But when a new filly comes to town stealing Scootaloo's attention and other ponies start to disappear, well, what do you bla

  • ...
3
 43
 2,835

Friendship

The basement of the old house on the edge of the Everfree was nearly silent, the only noise the gentle breathing of five unconscious fillies and the fearful panting of one young apple farmer trying to calm herself down. Apple Bloom was looking over the room, busying herself with trying to figure out what to do with the others in order to forget the mind-bending battle she had seen.

She could still feel the chill of that giant mouth, its breath pouring over her as it grinned inches from her face. And then it was replaced by all of that power, crashing against her like a wave on the shore, held in a little orange body. It was a body she thought she knew, but... No pony should be able to tear apart a beast like that. Scootaloo wasn’t a pony anymore... just another monster. Apple Bloom had never believed monsters were real, and it was making her mind ache to allow that fact to be real, but there was no denying it. Not after she'd seen two of them fight.

As she walked around the room a voice like a trembling bell rang out from near the ground. “What's going on? Did Scootaloo win? Where is she?” Sweetie Belle had finally peeked out from her defensive ball, her cotton candy tail still wrapped protectively at her side as she looked around. She saw the other fillies, surprise showing when she did, but even they didn't stop her search for her protector.

Apple Bloom walked up to her, helping her up onto her hooves. “It's okay Sweetie Belle, she's gone. She won't be around to scare you no more.”

As Sweetie stood she felt the change in the air, knowing that the monster was gone, and yet she looked at Apple Bloom strangely. “Apple Bloom, she saved our lives! Why would I be frightened of her?”

Why wouldn't you be? She ain’t a pony anymore! The words were on the tip of Apple Bloom's tongue, but before they could be said there was a terrible crash, followed by roaring and the stomping of heavy feet on the stairwell. Both Cutie Mark Crusaders turned to the stairs to see a giant reptile running down them, all jaws and teeth, with a pink bit of fluff on its head screaming at the top of its lungs. “RAAAAARGH! ALRIGHT MONSTER, IT'S TIME FOR A PARTY YOU'LL NEVER FORGET!” That was all either of them saw or heard as they both hunkered down to the ground, throwing their hooves over their heads and screaming.

The roaring stopped, followed shortly by the end of the battle cry, a much friendlier voice replacing it. “Oh! Sorry girls! Sorry! Didn't mean to scare you! It's just me and Gummy, see?” Apple Bloom continued to tremble, her pink bow quivering in the air, while Sweetie Belle peeked out from under her hooves, the confusion evident in her voice.

“Pinkie Pie? Is that you?” Standing before the two friends was Pinkie Pie wearing an apologetic smile, Gummy sitting in her mane and blankly staring out at the world. Whatever vision they'd just seen was nowhere to be found.

Pinkie Pie giggled at Sweetie's words. “Of course it's me, silly! I was trying to scare away the monster, but I guess I scared you two instead!” She smiled brightly at them. “But I'm frightfully happy to see you all okay, so I can see how it happened.” Sweetie Belle caught the bad pun, giggling a little at it, while Apple Bloom kept looking around for that new monster she'd just seen. “And I found all of the missing fillies! Just sleeping in Bluebell's basement...” Apple Bloom frowned, sure she'd seen a giant lizard with Pinkie, but she was stopped in her puzzling by a hoof placed on her head, twisting her around to face Pinkie before having her mane tousled. “Were you all having a slumber party down here and didn't tell anypony?”

Apple Bloom shook her head, taking a step back from Pinkie's hoof. “No! We were attacked by a monster, and then Scootaloo showed up and tore it in half, an' now she's gone too. And good riddance.”

Both Pinkie and Sweetie looked confused at Apple Bloom's words, but Sweetie somehow managed to edge out the party pony's chatterbox. “What do you mean 'good riddance'? She saved our lives! And she's out there somewhere injured.”

“Good! She's just a monster, and if she just goes somewhere and dies then we-”

Sweetie Belle's horn sparked, the green aura of her magic wrapping around Apple Bloom's bow and pulling their heads together. “Apple Bloom, what are you saying? Scootaloo is our best friend, and you want her to die? What's gotten into you?”

“What's gotten inta me? What's gotten inta her?” Apple Bloom wrenched herself out of the magical grip. “After Bluebell showed up she started followin' her, started actin' all weird, and then she shows up here! She weren’t Scootaloo anymore! She was just another monster under Bluebell's control.”

“Yeah, that's why she fought off the one that was trying to kill us despite Bluebell screaming for her not to.” Sweetie Belle was furious, anyone who knew her could tell, but she was holding it in, her face carefully chosen. She wasn't going to scare away a friend tonight, even if she almost wanted to.

Apple Bloom clung onto her fear. “Maybe she wanted to be the monster in charge, I dunno!” Seeing the accusing look on both of the others' faces, Apple Bloom backed up, but didn't back down. “Look, all I know is after she tore that creature in half, she turned on us with those glowin' eyes and giant wings... No pony can be that strong. It was like lookin' into the heart of the sun. And she was comin' right at us!”

Sweetie Belle's face didn't change, sure that that couldn't possibly have been Scootaloo's intent. “And what did you do when she did?”

Apple Bloom glared at her, not sure why she was suddenly the bad guy. “I jumped in front of you! I didn't want no monster to hurt you, an' when she saw I was ready to fight her she ran off.”

She saw Sweetie Belle's shoulders square, but she was not at all prepared for the outburst that followed. She'd thought Scootaloo's power was frightening, but an angry Sweetie Belle was almost worse. Her voice started low, then grew louder like an oncoming train until the full force of her unstoppable fury almost bowled Apple Bloom over. “Scootaloo found out about our plan here, which we went on without her, followed us as quickly as she could, saved our lives, attacked the monster, defended us, got injured, nearly got eaten, and somehow defeated the monster in spite of all of that, and you reward her by challenging her to a fight? By assuming she'll attack us and immediately defending me from harm? NO WONDER SHE RAN!”

Apple Bloom was backed up into the indent in the wall where Scootaloo had impacted, and Sweetie Belle was still advancing on her. “I bet you didn't even let her talk, did you? Didn't even ask her if she was okay. Didn't even CONSIDER that she might have wanted a friend to comfort her!”

Apple Bloom stumbled backwards into the pegasus-shaped hole, and as she sat there, Sweetie Belle vibrating with anger before her, she felt something wet drip onto her face. She put a hoof up to it, pulling it away to see her yellow fur stained crimson. Blood? Seeing the confusion on her face, Sweetie's rage calmed down a little, her body still tense, but calm on the outside. “You just called her a monster and scared her off. After all of that...”

From behind Sweetie Belle, Pinkie Pie spoke. “If I'd been hiding a secret for years and only revealed it in front of my best friends, I would be devastated if they didn't accept me for it. Even more so if I'd scared them.”

Apple Bloom was literally backed into a corner as she looked between Pinkie's thoughtful face and Sweetie's disappointed one. Everything she'd said was true, but... she hadn't seen Scootaloo. She hadn't been inches away or felt the power radiating off of her. Anypony would have been frightened of her after that. And yet, the more she thought it, the more Apple Bloom felt like a jerk. Maybe... maybe Sweetie's right. I'll give her one chance. “What can I do about it? She's gone now.”

Sweetie Belle's look softened, but she still was determined. “We find her, we apologize, and we get our friend back.”

“But what if she's changed? What if she isn't the same pony, or what if she's–”

Sweetie Belle cut off Apple Bloom right there. “We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders, on a quest to find out who we are. How long do you think she had been hiding this from us? How much do you think we don't actually know about our own best friend?” She turned around, walking back towards the center of the room, alongside a fissure Scootaloo's hoof dug into the ground. “I don't care if she's a different pony, even though I doubt she will be. She is still my friend, and yours too. That hasn't changed.”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle both looked at each other, Apple Bloom eventually backing down as she walked towards the center of the room. Why the hay have I been so freaked out by her? It was the monster that was hurtin' me, not Scootaloo... And yet, as she looked around the room, the blood, still faintly glowing, the gouges in the stone, slight traces of that unnatural power still radiating in the confined space... She looked to the ground, trembling at the memory. It ain't right for a pony to be that strong. Even unicorns get tired, but she just kept going. As she looked down, though, she saw another faintly glowing spot on the stone. It wasn't blood, it was much lighter, just a few tiny drops of water right where Scootaloo had been standing.

Apple Bloom looked at the drops, not quite understanding, until she replayed what she'd seen. Scootaloo, those wings ablaze behind her, face in a smile matching that monster's terrible maw... Apple Bloom moved into position, Scootaloo took a step back. From her eye something glowed, moving slowly down her face... What did I do? Apple Bloom's head shot up, looking worried instead of scared, for once. “Where do you think she went? We have to find her!”

Sweetie Belle held no answer, but Pinkie Pie looked thoughtful. “When you're feeling down, you go get comfort from your family, right? I bet Cheerilee will know.” She then looked at the rest of the fillies in the room, smiling. “You run back to the school and ask Cheerilee about Scootaloo, I'll take care of these girls, okay?”

“That's a great idea! Thank you Pinkie!” said Sweetie Belle as she headed to the stairs. Apple Bloom reached them at the same time and together they started running up and out of the house.

Pinkie Pie waved them off. “Of course! Just make sure you find Scootaloo, okay?” As their hoofsteps disappeared from the floor above, Pinkie Pie looked on the scene in the basement. The terrible fight... But one Scootaloo won. Hopefully her friends would find her before it was too late. “She deserves at least that much...” Shaking her head of the sad thoughts inside it, Pinkie Pie smiled at her pet alligator. “Alright Gummy, let's get to work!”

A deep, rumbling voice reverberated through the basement, the giant alligator beside her nodding. “Let's.” He gazed upon the room with his all seeing eyes, then opened his mouth, reaching inside and pulling out a party noise maker, which he gave to Pinkie Pie. She blew it. Confetti popped out.

And then the basement was empty, a little confetti floating to the battle-scarred floor the only tell that anypony had even been there at all.

The two Crusaders ran down the path from Bluebell's house, paying very little mind to the trees of the Everfree so close by. They were too busy looking for their third member, who might as well have vanished without a trace. As they reached the schoolhouse, both panting and out of breath and no closer to finding Scootaloo, they found a lot of older ponies dispersing, talking happily and congratulating each other on a job well done.

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom worked their way between the legs of the search ponies and into the actual schoolroom just in time to see Cheerilee waving off the last volunteer in the group. She noticed her approaching students and smiled. “Why hello there you two! Did you hear the news?” She gave them just enough time to not quite respond before going on. “Pinkie Pie found the missing fillies unconscious in the Everfree and checked them all into the hospital to make sure they're alright. We just got the message and broke up the search party.” She smiled warmly, as though a great weight had been lifted off of her shoulders, before continuing. “Anyway, what brings you here?”

Apple Bloom wondered for just a second how Pinkie had managed to do all of that when she'd been back at the house when they left, but she chalked it up to 'just being Pinkie Pie' and asked her actual question. “Ms. Cheerilee, do you know where Scootaloo is? I kinda wanted to talk to her.”

Cheerilee frowned, tapping a hoof on her chin. “Scootaloo? No, I haven't seen her since school ended. Though I thought she might have gone off with you two. Did you know your sisters were looking for you? They haven't gotten back yet, but I'll tell them you're alright when they do.” She noticed the worried look that passed between Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom and leaned in. “Is something wrong?”

Sweetie Belle shook her head. “No, we just didn't catch up with her when she left, so we were hoping you knew where she was.”

Apple Bloom nodded behind her. “Important Crusader business.”

Cheerilee shook her head a little, smiling knowingly. “Well, I wish you the best. You could check at the house, and if she's not there then she's probably riding her scooter around town somewhere. When you find her, please tell her the good news, if you could? I've still got to thank and release the last few volunteers, so you'll probably see her before me.”

The two little fillies nodded, running out of the schoolhouse and calling their thanks behind them. “Of course Ms. Cheerilee.” “Thank you Ms. Cheerilee!” Cheerilee just smiled, shaking her head again as she wondered what they could be up to, though her thoughts were soon interrupted by more volunteers to thank and dismiss.

Sweetie Belle ran up the front porch of Ms. Cheerilee's house and tried the handle, finding it to open in her hoof. She walked in, Apple Bloom right behind her, and called up the stairs towards Scootaloo's room. “Hello? Scootaloo? Are you here?” Silence hung in the house, and Sweetie stood by the door, catching her breath from the run while Apple Bloom started up the steps.

“Scootaloo... I didn't mean what happened back at Bluebell's. Can we talk?” There continued to be no sound until Sweetie Belle called for Apple Bloom's attention, pointing to the area by the door. When Apple Bloom looked confused, Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes.

“No helmet or Scooter. I think she's gone.” She started to go for the door, but stopped as Apple Bloom continued up the stairs. “Where are you going?”

Apple Bloom stopped at the top. “No harm in checkin', right? Maybe there'll be a hint in her room.” She went down the hall, heading towards Scootaloo's room. They hadn't done much crusading from Cheerilee's house. Scootaloo had always felt nervous about putting too much of a hassle on Cheerilee, so they tended to have their base of operations be the clubhouse or, in desperate times, Sweetie's parents' or sister's house. Still, they had been there once or twice and knew where the room was.

When she got into Scootaloo's room two things struck her as odd. First: that it was almost exactly the same as when she'd first seen it a few years ago. Both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom's rooms had gone under some kind of redecorating, Apple Bloom's accumulating all kinds of stuff while Sweetie's posters changed on an almost weekly basis, but the only addition to Scootaloo's room was the Wonderbolts poster. Otherwise it was just the same room.

The second odd thing was the note sitting on her bed. She walked over to it, picking it up and reading, and her ears drooped almost instantly. “Oh no...”

“What is it?” Sweetie Belle entered the room behind Apple Bloom, seeing how sad her friend seemed to be. However, instead of an answer, she was given the note.

It was in Scootaloo's writing, which was kind of messy on a normal day, but seemed to have been made all the messier by speed and emotion. The note was simple, but the words were strong enough to make Sweetie Belle sit on the ground, holding the note in both forehooves, mouth agape. On the tear- and blood-stained paper it said simply this:

Dear Cheerilee,

I am running away from home. Thank you for everything you have done for me, I'm sorry I couldn't have been better for you.

Don't come looking for me. –Scootaloo

“Scootaloo, no...” Sweetie Belle let the paper drop, on the verge of tears as she looked over at Apple Bloom. “She's–”

Apple Bloom had her own tears in her eyes, and a weight in her heart that'd make Big Mac fall to his knees for making Scootaloo do this. But she also had a defiant look on her face. “No! We're gonna find her. She can't have gone too far, even with them big glowin' wings, and somepony musta seen her.” She walked over to Sweetie Belle, picking her friend up off the floor. “We're gonna find her, alright?” Sweetie nodded, wiping another tear from her eye. Apple Bloom nodded back. “Good.” She picked up the note, tucking it into her bow for safekeeping. Cheerilee don't need to see this. She can't be far, and I ain't lettin' her run away 'cause of me.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle ran down the stairs, out of the house, and up the street, both asking if anypony had seen anything of Scootaloo. A direction, a clue, that was all they needed. Because neither of them were going to lose their friend. Not if they could help it.

The sun began to set on a happy day in Ponyville. Four missing fillies and the friend found with them were all being taken care of, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and there was even a party stirring at Pinkie Pie's in celebration of the search party going so well. However, the happiness failed to extend to the Cutie Mark Crusaders as two of them stood at the fountain in the center of town, panting and looking defeated.

They had asked around and searched the entire town, Whitetail Woods, out near the Everfree, by the lake... they'd even started heading out towards Diamond Dog territory, but there wasn't a single clue of where their third member had disappeared to, and it was starting to wear on them.

Sweetie Belle listened to the music pounding from the doorway of Sugarcube Corner and sighed, shutting her eyes. Her legs ached from running around town, but the thought of losing her friend was stopping her from being tired. “It's getting late... Mom and dad are going to start getting worried.”

Apple Bloom leaned against the fountain, still catching her breath. “I can't think 'a where she's gone to! She wouldn't be fool enough to run into the Everfree, would she?”

Sweetie Belle looked worried just from the sound of the words. “No... she wouldn't. There are monsters in there! She wouldn't...”

“She might after what I did ta her... And she's not afraid of monsters.” Apple Bloom kicked at the fountain, berating herself. Over the course of the hours of running she'd almost completely lost the fear she'd held when she'd looked on Scootaloo's empowered form. She could remember the energy, the power, the feeling that she was nothing more than a twig waiting to be snapped by that cruel glowing gaze... But she'd also remembered all the times they'd played together, the adventures they'd been on, the friendship they shared... She was amazed she'd forgotten it, even if her friend was suddenly a monster. Because the monster part didn't matter, the friendship did.

But even if she realized her mistake, it was no use if she couldn't apologize to Scootaloo. “We just need to keep lookin', and there's really only one more place to look.”

Sweetie Belle looked at Apple Bloom. “We're going in after her?” It wasn't said in fear, more a confirmation of what they were both thinking.

Apple Bloom nodded. “We're gonna need supplies if we're goin' into the Everfree. I've got a map at the clubhouse that'll get us to Zecora's no problem. If she ain't heard anythin', we just keep lookin'.” Apple Bloom stood up, starting towards Sweet Apple Acres before she stopped, looking back at Sweetie Belle. “A'course, you don't need to go in, if ya don't want to. I wouldn't want your parents worryin' or nothin'.”

Sweetie Belle cut off that line of thought before it came as she walked past Apple Bloom. “They know there's a party tonight, and then they'll think I'm at your house... I hope. But I'd rather get grounded then let you go it alone.”

Apple Bloom caught the few steps up quickly, smiling. As the two came side by side, they both broke into a run, using the energy they'd saved up at the fountain to speed themselves into the apple orchard. Light was fading, and it would only get more dangerous the longer they waited.

Again breathing heavily and trotting slowly, the day taking its toll on the two, they reached the clubhouse and started up the ramp to the door. It was dark in there, even more than the night, which held the silvery glow of the moon and had stars twinkling brightly. Sweetie Belle looked up at the happy stars angrily. Didn't they know there was a pony missing?

As her eyes descended from the sky to Apple Bloom nearing the door, they caught a glimpse of something at her hoof. She let her eyes keep falling until she was looking right at what she'd almost missed: a few little red dots on the ramp to the clubhouse... A few little blood drops staining the walkway.

She looked up just in time to see Apple Bloom open her mouth to speak, the expedition to the Everfree already on her mind. Sweetie Belle moved quickly, taking the last few steps to the top and placing one hoof over Apple Bloom's mouth, the other stopping her hoof on the door. Then, when Apple Bloom's struggling had stopped and her confusion started to settle in, she silently turned the doorknob, swinging it in on well-oiled hinges.

The light in the clubhouse was far too dim to see anything by, which annoyed Sweetie Belle since this meant that she'd have to work to make her point seen, and Apple Bloom was getting antsy. Any moment now she'd start trying to talk, and if Sweetie Belle was right, noise was not the best option. She fumbled over the room with her magic, the soft green light eventually surrounding a candle on the planning table in the corner. With a little concentration, a spark flared, one of the few tricks she was good at, and soon the candle's glow was putting edges on the dimness, not enough to light it up, but enough to put shapes on the shadows. She then pointed to the side of the room.

Curled up on a pile of pillows was a shivering form, facing the far wall where a scooter sat. In the orange glow of the light it was hard to make out details, but the dark spots on the ends of her wings were a definite clue, as were the little dark drops that trailed from her to the door, right under Apple Bloom's hooves.

Both crusaders looked at each other with hesitant relief, glad she was safe, but not knowing what to do now. Sweetie bobbed her head inside, looking at Apple Bloom expectantly. It took a moment for the message to get across, and then Apple Bloom shook her head. “She's sleepin'! I can't bother her,” she whispered.

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes, matching the whisper when she spoke. “We've been looking for her for hours! If you're actually worried I don't think she'll mind!”

Apple Bloom certainly had looking worried down to a science. “What if she runs away again?”

“I'll make sure she can't, you just make her hear you out.”

Apple Bloom's eyes locked on the bloody form in the corner of the clubhouse, but her mind was back in the basement..., the pained cries of the monster as that little filly ripped it in half effortlessly. “... what if she attacks–”

“Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle looked livid, causing Apple Bloom to step back and realize what she said. Her ears drooped, her head dropped, and she looked to the little blood drops on the ground for courage. Scootaloo had bled to defend them, she could fight her fear to apologize. Mind set she made her way inside on tiphoof, Sweetie Belle coming in and grabbing the candle holder with a hoof. Both approached quietly, creeping forward until the light on Scootaloo left no question it was her.

Quietly, barely enough to be heard over the breathing of her sleeping friend, Apple Bloom cleared her throat. When that got no attention, she spoke. “Scootaloo? Is that you?”

Immediately Scootaloo tensed, a dim purple glow surrounding her as she shot up from her makeshift bed and onto her hooves, her injured hoof clutching a book close to her. That power was back, strong as ever, and Apple Bloom felt like little more than dust in an oncoming storm. She was even able to catch Sweetie Belle freezing, gasping sharply as the pure energy washed over both of them. Scootaloo had just enough time for her glowing purple eyes to scan the room and the power radiating off of her to hit Apple Bloom in the face before the pegasus cried out, losing her balance as she cradled her head in her arms.

As Scootaloo fell the tension was broken, both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom rushing to her side, an injured friend more than enough reason to forget the fear that had pulsed through them just a second before. Sweetie placed down the candle as Apple Bloom reached out a hoof, only for Scootaloo to pull back.

Apple Bloom backed up from the spooked pegasus, holding out her hooves placatingly. “Scootaloo. It's me, I just want to make sure you're alright.”

Scootaloo looked at her angrily, but the fear was plain in her eyes. “You weren't too worried about it after the fight! You were just worried the big scary monster was going to get you. Well, here I am! Are you going to run or are you going to fight?” The tone was accusatory, pained, and punctuated by her eyes glowing, though it faded a moment later. Scootaloo held her defensive stance, but before the other's eyes, a drop of crimson rolled from her nose, down to her chin, and dropped on the floor.

Apple Bloom watched it with horror, but made sure not to show it. She wasn't afraid of her friend anymore. She was much more worried for her right now. “Neither, Scootaloo... I'm... I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinkin', but I'm pretty sure I wasn't. I'm not runnin' from you, and I ain't fightin' ya, I just don't want to see you leave.”

Scootaloo's look softened, hope creeping onto her face as she looked between the two ponies before her. “So... you're not scared of me?”

Apple Bloom shook her head. “I was, but I'm not anymore.” It sounded horrible, but she couldn't seem to find the words to make it any better.

Luckily, Sweetie Belle was there to help her. “You're a Cutie Mark Crusader and our best friend, Scootaloo, and nothing will ever change that.”

Scootaloo looked at Apple Bloom after that, who nodded that that was exactly what she wanted to say. Still, the pegasus looked worried, like what was happening in front of her was about to shatter if she dared believe it. “...You still want me to be a crusader?”

Apple Bloom nodded again, smiling. “A'course we do! We're on a quest to find out who we are, and you just proved we've got more looking to do.” She then held out a hoof, looking apologetic and hopeful. “But we can't do it without ya. So... you think you can stay?” Sweetie Belle matched her look, placing her own hoof on top of Apple Bloom's to show they were a team.

Scootaloo looked from one face to the other, then down to the floor, her legs starting to shake as she did. After a moment, something clear dripped from her cheek onto the floorboards. Slowly a chuckle rose from the room, Scootaloo looking up with tears in her eyes and a smile on her face. She looked at both of them, still chuckling, then placed her own hoof on top of theirs. “Of course I'll stay.”

The three friends looked at each other, a group smile crossing their faces. ”CUTIE MARK CRUSADER FRIENDS FOREVER, YAY!” The three hooves shot in the air with the group cry and the ensuing laughter. And the laughter continued right up until Scootaloo collapsed onto the pillows.

The delight was sucked from the room, the worry of losing a friend in one sense replaced with another version entirely. Sweetie Belle fell to Scootaloo's side, holding her in a comforting hug and talking quickly. “Scootaloo! Are you okay? Do you need to go to the hospital?”

Scootaloo shook her head weakly, her body trembling and cold in Sweetie's hooves. “I'm fine. No doctors. I'm just really tired still...” She forced her head up, looking over at Sweetie with a lot of effort. “I think I pushed myself too hard.”

Apple Bloom frowned, remembering that Scootaloo had been sleeping when they'd come in. “Pushed yourself too hard how?”

Scootaloo lay her head back down, mumbling into the pillow. “The fight. I saw you two disappear into that ball of darkness and I just let the energy flow and jumped in after you. The whole fight I let the power surge through me, too worried for you guys, and when it finished... The last thing I was worried about was stopping it. I ran to Cheerilee's to write the note and get... that... and then I was running out of town until I neared the orchard and just... ran out. I hit the wall, all the energy that had kept me going disappearing at once. Everything hurt, my vision blurred, my head started aching... I needed to lay down, so I came here, hoping nopony would look for me here before I left in the morning...” She laughed weakly, laying heavily on the pillow. “I'm glad my hiding spot was horrible.”

Sweetie Belle smiled, squeezing Scootaloo lightly in the hug, “We searched for you ever since you left. I'm just glad we found you when we did.” She looked into Scootaloo's eyes, seeing the weakness in them, and frowned. “Do you need anything? Can we help you? Are you sure you don't need a doctor?”

Scootaloo shook her head. “No doctors. I don't trust them...” When she saw the serious look on Sweetie Belle's face, she sighed. “But I'm a little hungry and thirsty, and it's gotten a lot colder since I got here...”

Sweetie Belle smiled, glad she could do something to help. “Say no more, just lay there and leave the rest to us.” She got up after that, getting some apples and water from the snack supplies and looking for a blanket for her shivering friend. As she did this, Apple Bloom stayed near Scootaloo, wanting to be there in case she needed anything else. It was then that the charred book next to Scootaloo caught her eye and she leaned over to look at the cover.

“'My Diary, by Firebug',” she read aloud, fixing Scootaloo with a slightly confused look. “Who's Firebug?”

Scootaloo peeked an eye open, looking up into the curious face of the blurred yellow filly above her. “Firebug...?” It made no sense... she'd left years ago, what was she doing here? Scootaloo pulled herself up, trying to focus the sight before her. It looked like her, but... the bow, the slightly different eyes, and the accent... Scootaloo seemed to remember where she was and who she was with, laying back down on the pillow to ease her pounding headache. Blood pooled in her nose.

“Firebug is, was, like a sister to me. She was with me at the orphanage when I became... weird.” She looked down at her hooves, the blood and black goop still staining both of them. And normally she'd have started healing by now... Something was definitely wrong. “I'll tell you about her if you want to know, but... not tonight.”

Apple Bloom smiled at her friend and, seeing the fear settled on Scootaloo's face, decided to comfort her, rubbing her back with a gentle hoof. “It's fine. You just rest, okay? You saved our lives today, we can make sure you get a good night's sleep.”

Scootaloo closed her eyes, leaning into the hoof rubbing into her aching muscles, her smile growing with her friends' attentions as Sweetie Belle returned with a couple apples, a canteen, and a blanket. “Thank you. Both of you. Sorry I ran off...”

Apple Bloom cut her off there. “There's no need to be sorry. If anypony should be apologizin', it's me, and I am. Sorry for ever doubtin' ya and bein' fool enough to be scared of ya, even for a moment. Can you forgive me?”

Scootaloo's weak smile widened as she lay there, still leaning into the hoof Apple Bloom was rubbing on her back. She was sure she'd lost her friends to her weirdness, and here they were treating her like a princess and accepting her like she was still the pony she'd always been... what could she possibly hold against them? “Of course I can. I already did.” She then took the apples from Sweetie Belle, leaving one in her hoof and tossing one to Apple Bloom. “And these taste best with friends.”

The three shared an apple together, smiling and just glad to be in each others' company. And Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle started laughing as Scootaloo ravenously ate four more apples and emptied the canteen in one long pull, her strength returning as she did so. Their impromptu sleepover might not have been planned, but, after Scootaloo got pampered and cleaned up by the other two, they all snuggled together under the same blanket, resting easy to know the Cutie Mark Crusaders would be intact for a long, long time.

A few days later Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle all stood in the lobby of Ponyville Hospital looking slightly anxious. Life had gotten back to normal after the monster attack, with school even continuing the next day, though the ponies Scootaloo had saved were absent as they healed. All of them had been having headaches and couldn't seem to remember anything that had happened, but the worst were Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, who took a fair bit of convincing just to remember their own names. However, Cheerilee was confident that they could all make up what they would miss, and so class went on without them.

However, when school let out that day the Crusaders had gone there to meet their friends as they were released. Twist was happy to see them, as was Dinky, though she always seemed happy to see almost anypony. However, when asked, they didn't remember a thing: not Bluebell, not the monster, none of it, which Scootaloo felt was probably for the best. Having the trauma of being eaten couldn't have possibly been good for them. At least they didn't have to remember it.

As the friends talked, the terrible twosome both came out looking somewhat hesitant, scanning around for a friendly face. When they saw the five fillies standing in the lobby, however, their faces lit up in evil delight. They fell into their well known gait, walking up on the reunion like a pair of tigers approaching their prey.

“Well look who it is, Silver Spoon. The Cutie Mark Crybabies and their nerdy friends! What were you in for, chronic lameness?” snarked Diamond Tiara, looking down her nose at the ponies there.

“Ooh, you're going to need more than a bandage for that. It's going to need a complete coolness transplant. Right. About. Here.” Silver Spoon punctuated the last three words with a hoof pointed at each of the Crusader's blank flanks, then both of them joined in an fiendish giggle. As the bullies laughed, the Cutie Mark Crusaders all caught each other’s eyes, nodding the silent message to each other.

“Hey Diamond Tiara! Thtop making fun of them! Jutht becathe they don't have their cutie markth yet doethn't mean-” As Twist talked, Sweetie Belle walked over to her other side, pulling the bullies’ attention to her and away from her friends.

“I'm thorry, Twithhhhhhhht, what wath that?” interrupted Silver Spoon. “I couldn't underthtand you.” Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara high-hoofed, bringing an angry frown to Twist's face as she was mocked. However, before she could respond, Sweetie Belle held out a hoof, smiling mischievously.

“Tiara, Spoon... are you afraid of the dark?” Sweetie, flanked by Dinky and Twist, fixed both of them with a friendly, and yet somehow piercing, stare.

The two looked baffled, Tiara the one to speak for them as they saved face in front of the trio. “Pff, as if! What kind of little baby is afraid of the dark?”

As soon as her sentence finished a shadow loomed over them and immediately they froze, faces the picture of fear. They may not have remembered the experience, but deep down they trembled in fright. They turned around slowly, each looking up at the dark shape towering over them. It lowered down, its face obscured by the light behind it, but the sinister intent could be felt beneath it. Two glowing purple eyes formed, both completely captivating the twosome as they edged together, cowering before the monster. Its eyes roved over both of them, then it spoke one word.

“Scream.”

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon clung onto each other, screaming their lungs out as they ran out the hospital's front door and into Silver Tray, toppling over the butler that had come to retrieve them in their haste to get away. Behind them laughter erupted from the dark shape as it fell over, rolling on the floor and coming apart as it did so. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo untangled themselves from the dark blanket they had found left on a chair nearby, holding their sides and wiping away tears at the reaction they got. The other three fillies joined in on the fun, causing the two outside to huff in embarrassment when they figured out the joke. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon stomped away, leaving the Crusaders, Dinky, and Twist to enjoy a good laugh at their expense.

When finally the five fillies had calmed down they bid farewell, Twist and Dinky leaving the hospital while Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo entered it. There was one pony still checked in, Bluebell's case being different from the others, and Scootaloo felt she should visit and apologize. After all, despite the fact that her wounds from the battle had already healed, a slight messiness to her fur and feathers where they were growing back the only tell of the fight, it was a direct result of Scootaloo's actions that had put Bluebell in the hospital in the first place.

They found the room and entered, coming across a sad sight. Bluebell was in a bed, alone, rolled over with her back to the door. There weren't machines monitoring her health, but there were three balloons tied to the end of the bed, two blue and one yellow, 'Get Well Soon!' written across them. Next to the bed, looking tired, and yet much better than he had when they first saw him, was Mr. Brambles, who smiled at the fillies as they entered. Already he looked younger, healthier, and even though the bags under his eyes were prominent, they suggested he hadn't slept in a day or two, not their previous lifetime.

As all three fillies entered, Mr. Brambles touched his daughter's shoulder lightly. “Bluebell, you have guests.” Bluebell stirred from the bed, her eyes red and puffy and clear tear stains on her cheek. She slowly turned her head to see who'd come to visit her, and once she did, she recoiled in horror, jumping to the far end of the bed.

“What is she doing here? Get that freak and her two friends out of my room! Nurse! Nurse!” Bluebell clung to her father's coat as she cried out and he tried to calm her, but the words were said, and they stung Scootaloo like a flame.

Still, she had come for a reason, and she wasn't going to leave without doing it. She took a step forward, holding up a placating hoof. “Bluebell, please, just hear me out for a second, then-”

“Hear you out? You murdered my best friend! You didn't listen to me, why should I listen to you? Nurse! Dad! Make her go away!” Bluebell turned to her father, snuggling her face into his shoulder for protection. Scootaloo was about to start talking when one of the nurses came in, a worried look on her face.

“Is everything alright? I heard shouting.” Bluebell started to say something, but it was muffled as Mr. Brambles held his daughter's head where it was, making her words sound like crying. He then smiled sadly.

“Yes, Nurse Tenderheart, everything's fine. Bluebell just got a little worked up. I'll try to calm her down.”

The nurse nodded, then looked at the three other fillies in the room. “Are they bothering you? Would you like some privacy?”

Again Bluebell tried to speak, her forehooves flailing against her father, but he ignored it calmly, holding her close to stop her movements and speaking gently. “No, no, they are just fine. Don't mind them. But make sure to close the door behind you, could you? Thank you.”

The nurse left, closing the door, and Mr. Brambles released his daughter, who gave him a look of betrayal before burying herself in the pillow, sobbing for real as she held it close, like she might hold a doll. Mr. Brambles just sighed, looking at Scootaloo and her friends. “Please, you don't have to listen, dear. You don't have to believe it, but just let the fillies talk. I'll make them leave when they are done.” After a moment to let Bluebell continue to cry, he nodded for Scootaloo to start talking.

Scootaloo had almost lost the nerve as she watched the scene, the sound of Bluebell crying and the words she'd said cutting her like a knife. But the father could see how important this was too, and so she continued. “Bluebell... I wanted to say that I am sorry for what I did. If there was any way I could have done something else, I would have, but Nightshade wasn't your or anypony's friend. He was a pure monster.” She could see Bluebell dig deeper, hiding from her words, but she soldiered on.

“He ate four ponies, and was going to kill them if I hadn't come in when I did. And while two of them were bullies and need to be taught a lesson, the others were innocent. Heck, they were your friends! None of them deserved to die. And neither did the ponies in the towns before Ponyville, if I guess right...” Bluebell gave no response, but Mr. Brambles nodded again, urging her to keep going. “He said he was your best friend: protected you from bullies, came to you when you were sad, made you feel safe in your bed each night... I can only imagine how nice that is, but he was using you. He kept you from making real friends, hurt your dad, the ponies around you, and he even hurt you.” Scootaloo remembered Bluebell flying through the air at her, the shadow beast leaping behind her, his massive maw ready to snap them both up...

She sighed, letting the memory fade. “I know what it is like to lose somepony very dear to you, somepony you never thought you would live without, and that's why I want you to know I really am sorry that I took Nightshade from you. I just hope that someday you can forgive me.”

Silence hung in the room for a long while, everyone waiting for the reaction to Scootaloo's apology, one Apple Bloom didn't think she had to give and Sweetie Belle commended her bravery for. Even the sounds of the hospital seemed to stop, time freezing as everypony waited on the response. Then, quietly, without removing her face from the pillow, Bluebell spoke. “Get. Out.” Her voice was cold as ice, but Scootaloo obeyed, turning and walking to the door. The hate in those words stuck into her like a spike of ice in her back, telling her she'd never be forgiven. She had taken away a best friend, the one thing somepony had counted on... She knew that pain, and now she knew the other side of it.

As she went outside, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom followed, catching her in the hallway just beyond the door. Scootaloo's ears were low, her tail dragging against the ground as both of them moved to her either side. Before they could get far at all, Apple Bloom stopped her. “Hey, don't feel so bad about it. You killed a monster and saved a whole buncha ponies, includin' her, if she ever sees it. You should be proud of yourself!”

Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement, trying to cheer Scootaloo up. “Yeah! Nightshade was evil and mean, bullying small, weak ponies and looking out only for himself. You just let her stop being friend with an evil monster and start making friends with ponies! You did her a favor.”

Scootaloo continued to stare at the tile floor beneath her, feeling like a monster. Apple Bloom, Scootaloo had learned, had been so young she hadn't known her parents before they died, and Sweetie Belle had yet to lose a family member, but Scootaloo? She remembered the pain of finding out her parents were never coming to pick her up from the orphanage, and, even worse, the feeling of despair as she lost not just her home, but her big sister and new family all in one fell night... Her killers had burned with her, and to this day a small part of Scootaloo still felt that that was too good for them. Even Cheerilee's love and Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom's friendship had never removed the pain of that night.

And now she had killed Bluebell's best friend. What pain was being wished on her right now? What torment was Bluebell imagining... At least she still has a father that loves her... Scootaloo shut her eyes, the tears that had been building falling to the ground beneath her as both of her friends resolved to hug her, unable to imagine what she was going through, but hoping their presence helped. And it did, like a candle helped fight the cold of a blizzard.

Hoofsteps approached the three on the ground, a kind voice speaking to the crying pegasus filly. “Scootaloo... Thank you for everything you've done.” Scootaloo, confused at hearing the genuine happiness in that voice, lifted her head, looking up at Mr. Brambles, who smiled down at her. “I mean it, thank you for giving me my daughter and our life back.”

Scootaloo shook her head, her eyes trailing back down to the floor. “I just killed her best friend...”

Mr. Brambles nodded, his smile fading slightly. “Yes, you did. And, in doing so, you freed us from the nightmare he'd created.” He sat down next to the three fillies, looking at the wall across from them. “We traveled to so many towns... moved after every incident, so much that Bluebell could never grow, could never become anything less than completely dependent on Nightshade for affection. He scared off her friends, even me... I was scared of my own daughter thanks to that monster... and you stopped that. You saved us from an everlasting Tartarus and let us move on with out lives, and for that I thank you, even if Bluebell never will.”

Scootaloo sat in silence, much like Bluebell had, though her tears had stopped. She just listened as Mr. Brambles slowly stood up, then placed a hoof onto her shoulder. “You are a hero, Scootaloo, and I will never forget what you have done for me. If she does not forgive you, I already have, and once more, I thank you with my entire heart. If I can ever repay you... just let me know.” He then walked away, heading back to the room to comfort his grieving daughter.

Scootaloo watched him leave, confused the whole time. He was thanking her for making his daughter sad, for giving her a pain unimaginable to carry with her... and yet, he knew she had saved her. Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and even Mr. Brambles were telling her she had done the right thing, and, as Scootaloo looked at it more and more, she knew she had too. 'The right thing' might have been painful, it might not have left everyone smiling or changed everyone for the better, but... Fairy tales always ended so neatly. Life, she knew, was never so nice.

She still felt the icy stab at her heart where Bluebell's hatred lay, but she could also feel the warmth of a job well done melting it away. It didn't hurt any less, but maybe someday she could at least bear it with a smile.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, Scootaloo stood up, heading towards the exit to the hospital. Apple Bloom followed her, looking at her sideways. “You alright there, Scootaloo?”

“Yeah. I'm going to be okay.”

Sweetie Belle was a few paces behind her, but Scootaloo could hear the smile in her voice as Sweetie spoke. “I think I know a way you can feel even better.” Scootaloo turned to look back and, as she passed one of the halls, saw him there, looking at her. The brown mane, the cream coat, the camera around his neck... She slowed for just a moment, eyes darting forward again, when she heard Sweetie Belle speak. “Go talk to him.”

All three of them stopped, Scootaloo, turning to her. “I can't! I just... I can't, okay? I came in with you two and my head's being all emotional and I can't-”

Apple Bloom cut her off, nudging her in the side. “Go on. We'll meet you back at the clubhouse, and we won't even laugh or nothin'.”

Scootaloo turned on Apple Bloom, shocked that she would agree, when Sweetie Belle chimed in behind her. “Just give it a shot” Scootaloo rounded back on Sweetie Belle, who was smiling gently, genuinely. “Do what makes you happy, okay? You deserve that much, hero.”

Scootaloo looked from one friend to another, both of them urging her on, and for once she had no reason to fight it. Moving reluctantly, even as her heart began to flutter in her chest, she walked over to her reward. “Hey Featherweight... What's up?”

Featherweight smiled as she approached, then seemed to pull himself from his distracted mind and reach into a satchel he had at his side. “Oh! Well, I heard that you had come here after school, and since you asked me to show you the pictures I got... I was wondering if now would be an alright time?” He offered a small stack of photos to her with his wing, a nervous smile on his face, the gap in his teeth making it precious in her eyes.

Scootaloo nodded, smiling back. “Yeah, sure.” As she took the pictures and started looking through them, she spied Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom walking off, a knowing giggle shared between them. She blushed a little, but kept looking. Featherweight was really talented with his camera, some of the birds captured on the film looking even more dazzling than they did in real life.

As she looked through the pictures, Featherweight talked. “I try not to wait for the birds too much, just coming across most of them as I'm traveling normally, but a couple, like that one,” he said as she came to a stunning picture of a cardinal and a blue jay singing together, “I had to sit in the right spot for hours to get right. I develop all of my film at home too, in a dark room I set up in the basement.” His smile faded a little bit as he pulled out a couple more photos. “I also have a few shots for the next edition of the Foal Free Press... if you want to see those early.”

Scootaloo, confused by his change in tone, returned his bird photos, taking the new ones from him. There were a couple of Bluebell, Dinky, and Twist, and a very familiar creepy house on the edge of the Everfree. The missing ponies story had to be the biggest thing in town right now, it would only make sense these were what he was shooting. As she went to the next photo, however, her heart stopped, her pupils shrinking.

It was a picture of the battle, taken from one of the basement windows. Gouges in the floor, the impact in the wall, and her, eyes glowing, leaping at Nightshade. Ice formed in her chest as she moved to the next one, a picture of the monster reeling in pain and her standing there with wings of fire, the unconscious Bluebell in her hooves. At the last one her hooves trembled, and one look was enough to make her eyes shoot to the floor as she gave the pictures back. It was her running from the house, eyes glowing, wings shimmering, blood-stained and battered, a tear trailing behind her face as she left the scene.

Featherweight took the picture from her, holding it like something he was ashamed of between them. “I was going to run a story on their disappearance... I just wanted you to see them first.” Scootaloo closed her eyes, heart sinking. He knows... he's going to think of me as a freak... a monster... And soon everypony will know... “I also wanted to say I can get rid of them... if you want...”

Scootaloo looked up from the floor, studying his face. “What?”

Featherweight looked at her, smiling weakly. “Well, nopony knows why Tiara, Spoon, Dinky, or Twist disappeared... Pinkie Pie gave me a story that I'm more inclined to believe than this monster business, but I wanted to leave that choice up to you.” He looked at her seriously. “Do you want me to print your pictures or no?”

If those pictures got out... if anypony ever knew... Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Pinkie Pie were sworn to secrecy with a Pinkie Promise and Mr. Brambles certainly wasn't going to tell and ruin his new life, but Featherweight... he was giving her the choice. The story of a lifetime, and he was letting her decide... She shook her head. “No. I'm sorry, but I don't want anypony to know.”

Featherweight nodded. “Alright. Then nopony will.” With one quick motion he tore the pictures of her in half, stuffing the shreds of them into his bag to be taken care of later.

Scootaloo looked at him, surprise at the action melting into worry. He still knew... “You don't think I'm some kind of monster, do you?” She kicked nervously at the floor, wishing with all her heart for a certain answer.

Even her wish was mild compared to this. “Are you kidding? Scootaloo, you're the coolest filly I know, and after I saw you fight that thing, you only got a million times cooler!” He realized what he was saying and blushed after that, looking away nervously and, strangely, perfectly mirroring Scootaloo's reaction to what he said.

She peeked nervously at him, cheeks glowing pink. “You... you really think that?”

Featherweight smiled back, heat radiating off his scarlet face. “Well... Yeah. I have for a while.” He then fluttered his wings nervously, looking her in the eyes. “And, um... I was wondering, and don't think you have to because of the pictures or anything, because they won't be printed either way, but... would you... like to, maybe... go on a date with me?” He winced away from his own question, afraid of the reaction when the words left his lips.

And Scootaloo stared at him, speechless. He knows and he still asked me out? He... he doesn't think I'm weird? She stopped for a moment, heart pounding as she realized the more important part of the question. Featherweight asked me out?! She squealed with delight inside, only barely keeping it at bay by her massive efforts to try to look cool. Still, her smile grew even wider as she spoke, pumping her hoof in happiness. “Yes!”

The two hugged in the hall, then hurried out of the hospital, talking about their plans and giggling with relief and nervous excitement. For both of them it was a dream come true, something Scootaloo never would have expected when she'd been hiding in the clubhouse.

And yet she didn't think of that, or Nightshade, or Bluebell, or her past, or even her powers. For once, if only for a little while, Scootaloo didn't even remember she was weird at all.

Comments ( 11 )

Awesome story! :pinkiehappy:

Really good story, I'm glad everything worked out for Scoots.

Great ending. Really liked the Bluebell scene, even though it was sad. :pinkiesad2:

Holy hell, this is epicness!:heart:

Thanks for the awesome story! Great characterization, really unique concept, and totally worth the wait for the updates! :scootangel:
Also, Gummy as Pinkie Pie's monster was the best thing ever! :rainbowkiss: Did not expect, but has ALL of my yes!

3019489>>3015915>>3015504>>3010536>>3006195>>3006185

Hey, thank all of you for reading and enjoying! I appreciate it a lot.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE AMAZING EPIC AND HEARTWARMING STORY! You are the bomb! Best story EVAH!!! True Genius!:heart::rainbowkiss::pinkiehappy::twilightblush::twilightsmile::twistnerd::yay::scootangel::heart:

3166970
What can I say? I kind of REALLY love that movie, and what fun is writing if you can't throw in a reference here or there?

Okay, yes, this was all awesome but... Where did Scootaloo get her powers from? It makes it sound like there was some incident way back in her childhood, and implies that Scoots knows what that incident was, but what was it?

Other than leaving me wanting to know that detail, I loved this story. Just thought I should make that clear.

3971630

Of course she knows what the incident was. She's been hiding it for the entire story.

You act as if you've never seen a prequel hook before. :twilightblush: (honestly, the incident itself wasn't nearly as interesting as the escape from the orphanage, which you got in flashback...)

Wow, I'm impressed with Featherweight's kindness.

Login or register to comment