• Published 22nd Dec 2012
  • 2,897 Views, 130 Comments

Revolution: Equestria - The Fields of Ice



All magic in Equestria vanishes, now 15 years later, it's up to Spike and his friends to bring back to a once great world. (Revolution/ MLP crossover.)

  • ...
11
 130
 2,897

Chapter Four: The Journey Begins

The three friends ate their breakfast quickly that morning. They knew the journey to Canterlot would be a long and dangerous one, so they wanted to try to cover as much ground as one day would allow. However, they had no idea just how dangerous it would actually turn out to be.

“Are you ready to go?” asked Rainbow Dash.

Spike turned away from the bed, he was standing next to, to see his Pegasus friend standing across the room. She was wearing a heavy black trench coat. It definitely wasn’t her normal style, but these weren’t normal circumstances. “Give me a second RD,” he said with a light smile.

Rainbow Dash nodded. “Well, Cadence and I will be down stairs.” And with that the blue Pegasus trotted away.

Spike turned back to his bed and got down onto his knees. Reaching a claw under his bed, he found what he was looking for. He slid out a crossbow and a sword.

He remembered making the crossbow not too long after the blackout. At the time, the chaos from the outside world had a habit of pouring into Ponyville. Spike was grateful that he never had to use it on anypony, but he feared that may change.

Next was the sword. He found it a few years after the blackout when he went out of the village after hearing the sound of explosions. When everypony found ground zero, they saw a large canon like device, or the remains of it. This cannon looked as if it were filled with fireworks instead of its intended propellant. Needless to say, it quite literally blew up in their faces.

As Spike and the other ponies looked through the rubble of the explosion, they scavenged several things. Most of it was food and other supplies. However there were a few weaponries as well. Everypony who helped scavenge for food received a weapon of their choice.

Spike lifted up the crossbow and slid it over his shoulder. Next he picked up the sword and hooked it to his jacket. He then stood and walked over to the staircase. Quickly he noticed the two mares looking up at him. “Okay, let’s go.”
----------

As the three trotted down the streets of Ponyville, they could see ponies all along the streets looking at them. They weren’t staring out of confusion or curiosity; they were staring out of sadness. They all assumed that this was going to be the last time anypony would ever see them again. And this was their way of remembering their faces, and saying good bye.

Spike was the first to approach the Ponyville gates. Without saying a single word, he nodded to the guard, who nodded in return, and began to open the gates. As soon as they were wide enough, the trio stepped through, and out into the unknown, Spike looked back at his town, just encase he wouldn’t see it again.

“Well,” began Cadence. “Welcome to my world.”
----------

The three had been walking for almost eight hours, making small talk and telling the occasional story. Many of the stories they told were events from before the black out. Of course they would have been significant then, but now that’s all they were; stories.

“And that’s how I met the Wonder Bolts for my sixth time,” said Rainbow Dash.

Cadence smiled while listening to Dash’s story, but for the most part she wasn’t paying all too much attention.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Yes Rainbow, we know this story. Everypony knows this story.”

The blue Pegasus shot Spike an angry scowl. “Yeah so? It’s not like you have any interesting stories. What about you Cadence, do you have any stories?”

The pink Alicorn chuckled softly. “Well, when you’ve been wondering this wasteland for as long as I have, you’re bound to collect a few stories. Like this one time, Twilight and I were out looking for supplies in the forest by Canterlot, and I swear to the goddesses that I saw Slender Mane.”

Spike crossed his arms and shot Cadence a look. “Riiiight.”

Suddenly Rainbow Dash jumped between the two. “Hey, don’t be a nay sayer about Slender Mane! He’s just as real as you or me.”

The young dragon continued to hold his expression. At this point he knew the pair must have been playing some kind of prank on him.

“Anyways,” Cadence cut in. “We were looking for a crashed airship. We thought it might have had some medications in it. We thought, hey it’d be good for trade. Well, when we were out there I kept thinking I heard something behind us. That’s when I started to get real paranoid, but Twilight ignored it… At least for a while she did.”

“What changed?” asked the blue Pegasus, who was genuinely listening to the story.

“I’m getting to that Rainbow. As I was saying, we kept hearing noises behind us. That’s when things started to get… weird. We noticed that the snow birds had all stopped chirping. Hell, even the wind stopped. All we heard was our own hoofsteps, and something else’s.”

Despite how good of a story teller Cadence was, Spike wouldn’t buy into it. However he did think it was a good story; a fictional story, that is. But when he looked over at Rainbow Dash, she looked genuinely scared. This caused Spike to unfold his arms and actually start to pay more attention.

“After a while of this, Twilight and I came up with a plan. We decided to take three steps, but just before we let our hoof touch the ground, we’d stop. If there was something following us, we’d hear its step.”

Rainbow Dash could feel a chill go up her spine as Cadence spoke. And it didn’t exactly help that the eerie twilight was casting some rather unsettling shadows.

“So, we did it. Our hooves rested in the air only inches off of the ground, but nothing happened. Then, all of a sudden, there was a loud snap,” she said, trying to put more emphasis on the word snap. “We both were about to piss ourselves, but we had to see what it was. So we slowly turned around and saw this thing that looked like a really tall and thin colt, just standing there staring at us. Well, needless to say, we got the hell out of dodge. But hey, Canterlot is in the dark zone, so for all we know it could have just been a weird twig in the darkness.”

“But,” the blue mare said with a cracking voice. Quickly she cleared her throat and spoke again. “But twigs don’t make hoofsteps.”

Cadence nodded. “That’s why I think it was Slender Mane. Of course Twilight is going with the twig idea though.”

Spike laughed lightly. “Aint no Slender Mane gonna mess with me.” The young dragon them put an arm around Rainbow Dash. “Right Dashie?”

The blue Pegasus let out an involuntary yelp upon feeling Spike’s arm around her. Cadence and Spike couldn’t help but laugh. But once she realized what she had done her face turned a bright crimson, as she tried desperately to hide it behind her hair. “Haha, very funny. Did you guys have this planned or something?”

The pink mare chuckled a little more. “What? No, of course not.”

Spike chuckled as well, as he pulled Dash in a little closer. “Oh come on Dashie. You know we love you.”

The purple dragon’s particular choice of words caused Rainbow Dash to blush once again. “Yeah, I guess so,” she said shyly.

“So,” began Cadence, “What do you guys think of…” Her voice trailed off as the group rounded a bend in the trail and cast their gaze upon a massive airship. The balloon that could once support it had long since been eaten away by the weather, but the gondola was still very much intact.

“Hey Cadence, is this the balloon you were looking for?” joked Spike. “I mean I wouldn’t want Slender to take Dashie.” As soon as Spike said that, he could feel Rainbow Dash moving closer to him.

“Oh no, the one we were looking for was in west Canterlot. This is far too east.” The pink Alicorn then looked back at the pair and decided to have a little fun with them. Shooting them a sly grin she said “Now, if you two love birds are done groping, I’d like to set up camp here.”

Cadence’s words instantly caused a blue Pegasus to jump away from Spike. Shooting Cadence a look of her own, Rainbow Dash said “Hey Cadence, we’re not like that! Okay?!”

The pink Alicorn took a step back, rather surprised by Dash’s outburst. “I-I’m sorry Dash I was only-“ Cadence was quickly cut off by Spike’s sudden roar of laughter.

“Damn, you two need to calm down before you have a cat fight. I mean there’s plenty of me to go around,” he joked. This however, only earned him an angry glare from both of the mares, instantly causing an embarrassed blush to surface.

After that, no one said much. They each just set up camp over the next few hours and went to bed. Spike, as well as everypony else, had mentally declared this to be the most awkward night of their lives, especially Rainbow Dash.
----------

“Wakey Wakey.”

Spike slowly opened his eyes to see an unfamiliar colt standing above him. Quickly he jolted himself into conciseness only to receive a hoof to the forehead, and a hoof-strapped knife to his throat. Panicked, the young dragon looked around to see Rainbow Dash and Cadence being held down by stallions with knives as well.

“Get off of me, asshole!” screamed a struggling Rainbow Dash.

“Leave her alone!” Spike shouted.

The colt on top of Rainbow Dash gave him an evil grin. “No, I think we’ll have some fun with this one. She has some fight in her, and I like em fighting the whole time.” Suddenly the stallion picked up the Pegasus by her Rainbow mane and began dragging her to the back of the gondola.

“No!” Spike screamed.

“Get off of her!” shouted Cadence.

The stallion currently holding the knife to Spike’s throat smiled. “Don’t worry. When it’s my turn, I promise I’ll be gentle.”

The young dragon glared at the malevolent colt. “I’m going to give you one chance to get off of me.”

He laughed menacingly. “And what are you going to do about it?”

Spike smirked. “The same thing all dragons do.” Suddenly the young dragon let out a massive ball of fire, instantly setting the colt’s fur and skin ablaze. Wasting no time, he rolled the screaming stallion off of him and ripped the knife right off of his hoof. Spike then ran to the back of the gondola.

By the time the stallion knew what was going on, it was too late. Spike drove the knife deep into his throat, blood splattering across the wall. The young dragon could see the terror in the colt’s eyes, but he didn’t care. Spike simply threw the colt onto the ground and went over to Rainbow Dash.

During the confusion, Cadence quickly slid her hoof into her coat and drew her own hoof-strapped knife. In less than a second she threw the colt off of her, tightened the strap on her knife by biting it, and drove it into the base of the pony’s skull. Despite the fact that the stallion was already dead, she felt compelled to speak. “This isn’t my first go around asshole.” She then smiled menacingly as she threw the lifeless body aside.

Spike was holding a sobbing Rainbow Dash, still quite shaken up about what had almost happened. “Are you okay!? Did he touch you!? Rainbow what did he do!?”

The blue mare shook her head. “N-N-No, he didn’t do anything. Y-You got him before he could.”

“Are you sure?!”

“Y-Yes Spike, I’m sure. H-He didn’t get past my jacket.” Once again the blue Pegasus began breaking down. She laid her head onto Spike’s chest and began to sob. This went on for a few minutes, until Dash pulled away slightly and looked him in the eyes. At first Spike had no idea what was going on, until Rainbow Dash leaned forward and locked her lips with his.

The young dragon was obviously shocked, but none the less, he enjoyed every second of it. After all, the pair had been living together for over ten years, so it was only natural for them to start to have feelings towards each other. However, this moment wasn’t exactly as they’d been picturing it.

Suddenly there was the sound of hoofsteps on the other side of the room. The pair’s kiss was cut short when they looked up to see a tall dark colored stallion raising his bow at them. Quickly Spike dove over Rainbow Dash trying to do whatever he could to save her, but to his surprise an arrow, seemingly out of no wear pierced the pony’s throat, pinning his dying body to the wall. Despite this, the arrow he was readying shot; only missing the pair by inches.

Still in a state of shock, the three looked to the entrance as yet another pony stepped through the doorway. Spike’s jaw dropped at what he saw before him. “That’s impossible…”