• Published 22nd Dec 2012
  • 2,263 Views, 32 Comments

Hearth's Warming's Heart - LotusTeaDragon



A short story of Hearth's Warming Love

  • ...
2
 32
 2,263

Hearth's Warming's Heart

Hearth's Warming's Heart
by The Lotus Tea Dragon

"Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright..."

It was Hearth's Warming night, and the crisp, light voices of the carolers floated through the walls, and into the warm confines of the Golden Oaks library. Safe from the blanket of winter's snow that covered the tiny burg of Ponyville, it's frost covered trees, and cold, northern winds goading every pony to find shelter from it's icy tendrils, a crackling fire cast it's light from the old brick fireplace, illuminating the sitting area in it's soft glow, it's heat reaching out to two mares, one lavender unicorn, and one midnight blue alicorn, who were huddled together on the sofa, comforted in each other's sleeping embrace. Next to the sofa, a purple dragon lays dozing, curled up in his wicker basket, an owl perched on his scaly back, and a phoenix cuddled in the dragon's short, stubby arms.

Across town, along the snow covered streets, the aroma of soft, cinnamon baked cookies wafted from a pink, pastry shaped building, into the cold, causing pony passersby to stop and stare through the large glass front window of Sugarcube Corner, taking in all of the delicious treats just waiting to be bought by hungry ponies in the mood for sprinkled sweets. Through that window, a pink pony could be seen humming merrily to herself, and, on occasion, take bites from what appeared to be a pink frosting covered cupcake. As we begin to move on, a blond mare with a grey coat, and bubbles on her flank, opens the glass door, her nose upturned and a smile on her face as she greets the young pink mare at the counter.

Down two streets, and over one more, a lovely, white, snow covered edifice, shaped like a carousel, provided refuge from the cold, and inside it's austere, but lovely interior, a coterie of dresses, laced with ribbons and bows, gave off the dazzling sentiment of Hearth's Warming ornaments on display. Up the stairs, in a candle lit room, a beautiful white unicorn mare, with her exquisitely coiffed purple mane, lay in her bed, ensconced with soft quilt and satin throw pillows, and sipped a cup of hot chocolate, engrossed in a romance novel. She glanced up for a moment as a snowball flew past her window, for outside, in the snow covered yard behind the boutique, three fillies were engaged in a snowball fight to the death, their red capes used as shields against the onslaught of frozen projectiles, their giggles could be heard through the upstairs window, and the lovely white mare smiled to herself and turned back to her book.

Up in the air, and just on the outskirts of Ponyville, a cloud house, it's rainbow falls long gone cold and quiet, lay still and empty in the night.

Downward toward the ground, along a country road, and across a small hoofbridge, lay a tiny cottage, a yellow light from a small window casting shadows onto the snow covered porch. A gauzy wisp of smoke floated upward from the chimney, while inside the house was aglow with warm candles, and a butter yellow pegasus with a soft pink mane busily moving about, her small army of woodland creatures gathering around her, chirping, squeaking, squawking, and chittering, some riding on her shoulders, others at her hooves, rubbing them affectionately as she filled their various bowls with food.

After this chore was finished, she returned the bag of food to the small kitchen, returning to find one of the squirrels waving her over to the overstuffed sofa, beckoning her to sit down. Looking around to see that the other animals were occupying themselves with their meals, she did so. The squirrel jumped up onto the sofa and pulled, from behind it's back, a walnut with a ribbon tied around it. The butter yellow pegasus smiled gently, and scooped up the squirrel to nuzzle it with her cheek.

Moving further along, away from the comfortable cottage, along the road, and then up the snow covered, windswept and barren orchard, we arrive at a farm. Past the barn, around the chicken coop, beyond the shed, and into the rustic home of the orchard's owners, we see a quiet, empty living room, the fire long since out. From a room off to the side can be heard light snores, the sounds of an older mare sleeping peacefully under a pile of blankets, her walker sitting off to the side of the bed. Slowly moving up the stairs, without a sound, aside from the tick tock of the grandfather clock downstairs in the main hallway, to the first room on the left, the guest bedroom. Inside it, on the soft bed, lay a snoozing pony, her black, silver, and purple mane sticking out above the plush comforter, a single purple hoof hanging off the edge of the bed.

The next room over, a small candle sits on a writing desk, where the sounds of quill on parchment can be heard coming from the hoof of a brick red stallion, his eyes deep in concentration, the envelope laying next to it addressed to a small cottage not too far from the farm house, or the young stallion's thoughts.

In the last room, at the far end of the darkened, and cold hallway, the sounds of light breathing can be heard from inside. A cowpony hat can be seen atop the bed post, a lasso on the dresser. It is a spartan room, containing few material treasures, but it is filled with something much greater, much more valuable, for on the bed, lay a blond country earth pony, and next to her, a cyan and spectral maned pegasus. They lay there together, peaceful, dreaming wonderful dreams of love, of life, of the season. Sugar plums and Zap apples dance in the heads, while their forelegs and hindlegs, intertwined in the limbs of the other, remind them that sweet dreams do come true.

And so I bid you a fond good night,
and Happy Hearth's Warming, my friends. May you all find peace and love.

Author's Note:

From The Lotus Tea Dragon to all of you, I wish you a Happy Holiday. :)

Comments ( 32 )

Very cute. Gotta say though, Twilight's bunch are light weights asleep before the CMC.

Heh. Nice little ditty.

1837019
Well, to be fair, Path of Cloud, the CMC, being young fillies, have far, FAR more energy than the adults. Sometimes I wish I had that kind of boundless energy. I remember as a child, I would sit up and wait for Santa Claus, long after my parents had went to bed. My brother and I would sit in the living room and eat cookies, just waiting for him to come down the chimney. We'd make it until about 11:50, and then fall asleep. It's some of my favorite memories. :pinkiesmile:

1837048
Thank you, TrevorLaneRay. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :pinkiesmile:

1837053 Very true. Some of us still have those long nights; although, waking up is kind of a pain :raritywink:

1837064
Usually followed by "Did anyone get the license plate number of that truck?!" :pinkiehappy:

1837067 Ah, yes, Wednesdays. Although, I was refering more to long nights writing... or other nightly activities :moustache:

I'm gonna, oh gosh :fluttershyouch: Beautiful! Even makes more of an impact during the holidays... heh... don't get me all sappy now... :ajsmug:

1837982

Oh, you're so sweet, Jackie! Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed it! :twilightblush:

1837990 The additional AppleDash made it oh so more enjoyable :ajsmug::heart::rainbowdetermined2:

1838012
Thank you! All of my stories will have AppleDash in them, and will be a part of my universe. I strive for consistency. :pinkiehappy:

Yay for TwiLuna, possible FlutterMac and even though it's not my ship, i do enjoy a well written AppleDash. :ajsmug:

1838033
I'm so glad you approve! :scootangel:

1838104
Thank you, dlazerous, I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I may pursue the FlutterMac ship in the future. I just like the idea. It works for me. :twilightsmile:

Dude.....
that was beautiful.......
Got no more words for this.......:rainbowderp:

1838999

Thank you, Tarascha, I'm glad you liked it. :pinkiesmile:

beautiful mate, that is the only word for this and even then i wish i could find an even better one

A really lovely story^^ I have a question though...
"Inside it, on the soft bed, lay a snoozing pony, her black, silver, and purple mane sticking out above the plush comforter, a single purple hoof hanging off the edge of the bed."
Who's that?

1897483 - Hello KibaWR, that particular pony would be Violet Tempest, who was in my previous story "Saddlebags, Sun, and On the Run". :twilightsmile:

1897530 I see^^ So she's an OC of yours?^^

1897624 - Yep, she's the younger sister of Rainbow Dash. :rainbowdetermined2:

1900065 hehe^^ looks likeDash and her folks always end up with the apples^^

1902309 - It's hard to say no to a sweet Apple. :raritywink:

1902691 got me there^^ hehe^^ I wonder who she's with though. Big Mac seems to have a thing for Fluttershy, Aj has Dash with her and Granny Smith and Applebloom are either too old or too young for a relationship. Guess I'll check out that other story of yours to find out^^

This kinda needs to be run through with my Edit Sword...but otherwise cute story :D

1902704 - At that time in the story, Violet wasn't in a relationship. "Orange and Blue, I Do," however, expands on a possible relationship. If you haven't read it, I recommend it. Thanks for reading, KibaWR. :pinkiesmile:

2482252 - Yeah, this is what happens when you formulate, write, and publish your story at 3 A.M. Still, I'm glad you liked it, MeepyMeeper. I would do a better job at editing if I could get me to slow down a little. I bang out 2500, 3500, 5000 word chapters, and I just can't wait I have to publish them now now now! I think some patience would serve me well. :raritywink:

3437323 - Thank you, Zepherno. I'm glad you liked my story. :twilightsmile:

Also, apologies to all of you for the lateness of my reply. I am usually on top of things, but if I miss a notification, and forget to check my older stories, this can happen. Still, it's no excuse for letting so much time lapse. My apologies for tardiness, Twilight would be disappointed. Also, angry. And magicky. Deadly magicky.

Lovely story as always Lotus. I have only one problem. The Christmas carol is incredibly out of place. The song that should be in its stead goes something like this: "The fire of friendship lives in our hearts. As long as it burns we cannot drift apart.
Though quarrels arise their numbers are few. Laughter and singing will see us trough (will see us trough.) We are a circle of pony friends. A circle of friends we'll be to the wery end." Silent Night refers to an infant born on Christmas eve. Hearth Warming Eve has nothing to do with infants or saviors only friendship and fire and driving away the windigoes eternal winter. hearth warming eve is not their Christmas but their founders day "insert the name of your countries founders/ nastional day here). that is my only concern. :twilightsmile:
(Line break in song to signalize where you fade into the library.)

My one and only problem with the LVS series so far is the hinted at Flutter-Mac.
If this is after the S2 finally, the episode "Harts and hooves day" has already happened meaning that Mac and Cheerilee is an official ship, That is just a tiny problem of mine tho.
A good story nonetheless
~Tobben

4282805 - Thanks, Mark. Yeah, I thought of that not long after I had published it, but felt it was too late to do anything about it. If I write a future Hearth's Warming piece (I might), then I'll keep it mind. I am very glad you enjoyed the story, though. :twilightsmile:


4283711 - Thank you, Tobben! I'm not sure if you've read the further stories in the series, so I won't spoil it, but I imagine you won't have too much to worry about. :raritywink:

Login or register to comment